• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's "tressfx" unveiled; Lara can take care of her own hair [DX11 compute]

DieH@rd

Banned
tumblr_mc0bl5SqQF1qlhou3o1_500.png

AndyBNV

Nvidia
With this hair stuff i remembered about gpu demos and went and downloaded a couple from nvidia's site:

http://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos

Even now some of the older demos are pretty sweet.

And i made an hair gif from the last one:

ibgb8aLgq2MXXA.gif

More info on that hair:

New Dawn’s hair is a giant leap forward. Thanks to DirectX 11 tessellation, she has gone from a scant 1,700 strands to 40,000 soft locks of hair. Advanced shading allows her beautiful hair to move out of the jet-black color scheme. While still a brunette, you’ll see her hair gently flowing in the wind, reflecting and transmitting light from the environment.

Because hair is so thin, aliasing is a major problem. Traditional antialiasing doesn't work well here, as a strand is often smaller than a pixel and may not be picked up by any of the four-or-so sample points. To alleviate this problem, A New Dawn has a special hair smoothing shader that inspects each strand and blurs them in the combing direction.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/a-new-dawn-directx-11-demo-available-for-download

i-Lo

What are the odds that we will witness the proliferation of this technology with the advent of next gen consoles?

Lime

What are the odds that we will witness the proliferation of this technology with the advent of next gen consoles?

Depends on the return of investment for allocating workhours to making complex hair graphics is sufficiently high. You have to be aware that this level of fidelity is presumably primarily funded by AMD and Crystal Dynamics wouldn't do it by their own volition.

If hair technology makes an impact in terms of sales or marketing, just like how a scripted sequence or a beautiful explosion in a E3 trailer or media preview can raise the hype, then the odds are pretty good.

dr_rus

Even nVidia cards? Or just ati cards?
Well unless they use some obscure tricks to lock out non-AMD cards it should work on any DX11-compatible h/w - even on Intel integrated DX11 GPUs.

As far as i know DirectCompute works on all Nvidia Cards that support CUDA.
Not really. There is a version of DC in DX11 that can be used on DX10 cards but I bet that AMD's using the one for DX11 cards.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Static images show off the tech better...

I'll get my coat.

The way everyone in this threads been asking for videos, I'd beg to differ mister/mam.

As long as the GIF is running at the full 33ish FPS, I feel it shows off the tech great.

Top Bottom