• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's "tressfx" unveiled; Lara can take care of her own hair [DX11 compute]

Is that the way it looks?

..... :\

That Lara's-back-panning-shot looks beautiful though, if only it looks better up close.

Edit: I've only seen TR's first trailer, so this is the first time I'm noticing this.......... BOOBIES

"Oh wow that looks amazing"

*Starts up game*

untitled-10db8k.gif

ew

DieH@rd

Banned
Did people thought there will be no preformance impact? Particle calculation is expensive. There is gonna be epic crying when PC crowd discovers what hardware will be needed for Deep Down's fire/water particles.

Have people found any noticeable difference in how the TressFX is working performance wise between Nvidia and AMD cards? I know its just a DX11 effect but I'm wondering if it maybe works better on AMD cards?

Sethos

Banned
Have people found any noticeable difference in how the TressFX is working performance wise between Nvidia and AMD cards? I know its just a DX11 effect but I'm wondering if it maybe works better on AMD cards?

AMD cards are faster at direct compute, which this is based on, hence it runs better on AMD cards.

King_Moc

Banned
Did people thought there will be no preformance impact? Particle calculation is expensive. There is gonna be epic crying when PC crowd discovers what hardware will be needed for Deep Down's fire/water particles.

It's running on a PS4, so i doubt it. This stuff doesn't rely on RAM, it's all about the processor.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Gifs from the benchmark:

http://www.abload.de/img/bench26njl8.gif

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/bench3mck57.gif

Losing about 20fps with it on[/QUOTE]

the hair is horrible,and it move/wave just wrong. :/

one dude at Spicy Horse > AMD+CD I guess.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Just watched a gameplay clip. Looks amazing. Great step forward for hair in games.

Can't wait for this to be standard.

Sibylus

Banned
Why the fuck does it float above the shoulders instead of resting on them? That's almost worse than clipping
It's like the devs kept cranking on this internally until nigh everything was over the top and exaggerated. Would look a ton better with the hair simply settling faster.

derFeef

More weigth would help a lot imo, no idea why games can't get that right - PhysX is the same most of the time. Has it something to do with processing power? I can't imagine but I am no dev...

Durante

More weigth would help a lot imo, no idea why games can't get that right - PhysX is the same most of the time. Has it something to do with processing power? I can't imagine but I am no dev...
In one of the more common ways to implement cloth/hair physics, the more "floaty" you make stuff the fewer integration steps you'll need per time step while keeping your simulation somewhat convincing (and preventing it from exploding).

derFeef

In one of the more common ways to implement cloth/hair physics, the more "floaty" you make stuff the fewer integration steps you'll need per time step while keeping your simulation somewhat convincing (and preventing it from exploding).

Ah, explains a lot. I wish we would have a switch that makes it really great and realistic, but will have a larger performance hit - I just want to see it in a game for once.

-SD-

Banned
With hair now behaving somewhat realistically the other stuff in the game that doesn't behave realistically becomes even more obvious. Water doesn't use fluid physics, Lara's boobs don't bounce, cloths don't cloth, ropes don't rope etc.

"Oh wow that looks amazing"

*Starts up game*

untitled-10db8k.gif

PC master race.

Personally, while this looks like a very nice feature (when it works), I'd say we can still do less computational requiring hair that can look almost on par.

Honestly the offender here is the tressFX disabled hair model. There's no excuse for it, honestly.

charsace

PC master race.

Personally, while this looks like a very nice feature (when it works), I'd say we can still do less computational requiring hair that can look almost on par.

Honestly the offender here is the tressFX disabled hair model. There's no excuse for it, honestly.

Can you post how you would go about getting realistic hair that cost less than current implementations? I am personally always looking for ways to lessen the physics load and if you have a way you should share it, unless you plan on selling your solution as middleware.

antitrop

How different would the reaction to this be if it was revealed with some PS4 exclusive instead of the PC port for TR?
Considering the amount of times I've seen "coding to the metal" trying to be used as a legitimate selling point for the console by fans, I don't want to know.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
You're joking right. Hair and believeable cloth physics require a lot of processing power. If it didn't we would already have it.
So now the question is, what is the difference between Alice's implementation and TR's? Because Alice's hair looked pretty good, and it didn't seem to have such a heavy performance cost.

charsace

So now the question is, what is the difference between Alice's implementation and TR's? Because Alice's hair looked pretty good, and it didn't seem to have such a heavy performance cost.

Alice's graphics were built with the hair physics in mind. I doubt there is much difference in the process. They both make use of skeletal, procedural animation with the hair animation being completely generated on the fly which is always gonna be expensive and requires a lot of iteration in regards to calculation. Most procedural animation is done on precomputed data, aka created animations like foot planting for a running animation for example, which isn't as expensive as fully procedural hair animation and the hair probably has a lot of bones in it to. I would think hair would require more iterations of the physics calcualtions to make the hair look like its flowing.

szaromir

Banned
The final result doesn't seem too great, but it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully we'll get believable long hair sometime in the next 10 years.

CamHostage

Looks decent but they need to work on the weight aspect. Too light.

Also too computationally expensive.

Also doesn't seem to get wet easily, if at all (though I'm not sure that the Tomb Raider engine had to define "water" to that degree with its previous hair, so it could be just an unapplied affect that TressFX can do if called upon.)

Still exciting to see technology like this develop. It's not there yet, but I get why they pushed the feature here as this is the right game to demo the technology with. Previous hair demos were all about how cool and wavy and polygon-defying the hair could be, but this brings out a natural look (when the effect is working properly) and also allows for "messy hair" that falls over the eyes unpredictably, both effects that contribute to the character.

Koyuga

I think it looks alright for a feature that seems like it was tacked on at the last minute. If they accounted for it during development maybe they could get the animation looking right, but I think the tech itself is very cool.

I think the hair feature is so neat. Kinda makes me jealous that I have to play on consoles now. One thing that has always bothered me with games is when hair is not right. Most games shy away from lose, flowing hair because of how it will look. The Dead or Alive franchise is one of the few games that got it right in my opinion. This, now, takes the top spot. Cannot wait to see this implemented on home consoles.

Top Bottom