• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's "tressfx" unveiled; Lara can take care of her own hair [DX11 compute]

Spazznid

I mean, everyone's gonna be able to see it then... you know... when the game comes out... lol

It's kind of funny.

Has anyone actually said that this will be in the game at launch? The lack of video this close to release makes it seem like it'll be patched in sometime down the line.

Has anyone actually said that this will be in the game at launch? The lack of video this close to release makes it seem like it'll be patched in sometime down the line.

Lots of people have played the PC version based on steam achievements.

Seems strange that there is still nothing.

Edit: My bad, sorry. My point is that's unlockable even though it runs through the CPU and you don't have to a Nvidia card to run PhysX hence "unlocking on AMD cards" typo. It just came out wrong.

Sethos

Banned
Meh, you can unlock Physx on AMD cards. Even if it's exclusive, it wouldn't take long until someone unlocks it.

Really, how? I've seen people mistakenly think that enabling PhysX means their AMD card is running it, except the CPU is doing the calculations.

DieH@rd

Banned
Really, how? I've seen people mistakenly think that enabling PhysX means their AMD card is running it, except the CPU is doing the calculations.

Yes, single-threaded CPU support. :-/ It would be much better if nvidia would enable multi-threading [physx absolutely supports it]

Sethos

Banned
Yes, single-threaded CPU support. :-/ It would be much better if nvidia would enable multi-threading [physx absolutely supports it]

C'mon, they can't cockblock people if they start making the experience uniform for everybody :p

At least ArmA 3 will feature CPU PhysX.

( I sound like a butthurt AMD fan, despite being a diehard Nvidia boy - PhysX is fairly wank )

Perhaps he means that it is possible to have an AMD card while using a nvidia card dedicate for PhysX?

DieH@rd

Banned
C'mon, they can't cockblock people if they start making the experience uniform for everybody :p

At least ArmA 3 will feature CPU PhysX.

( I sound like a butthurt AMD fan, despite being a diehard Nvidia boy - PhysX is fairly wank )

Lot of PC and console games [even wii] have PhysX for ordinary collision calculations of some specific usages [car handling calculations in shift1/2/pCARS].

Sethos

Banned
Lot of PC and console games [even wii] have PhysX for ordinary collision calculations of some specific usages [car handling calculations in shift1/2/pCARS].

I know but it's just as easy to implement advanced PhsyX feature thus blocking out AMD users from a good experience. So commendable that developers choose the CPU route for everyone.

Perhaps he means that it is possible to have an AMD card while using a nvidia card dedicate for PhysX?

"Unlock PhysX ON AMD cards" doesn't sound like a post about dedicated PhysX cards to me.

I feel as though I've been seeing hair physics demos for years now. Is there any chance of this feature being standard anytime soon?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Considering that the picture shows a woman's hair blowing in the wind, it's pretty much given what "tressfx" is.

I think this feature could have an insane impact on the next-gen The Sims games.

Yup, Sims 4 is the first thing I thought of when I saw this. Put that on the high-res consumer version of oculus rift with next gen graphics and we'll have some serious Lotus Eater Machine problems.

Demon Ice

Banned
Well the fact that they're partnering with AMD for that live stream of TR makes me think that TressFX will be available at launch. Otherwise it'd be kinda awkware:

"Yeah, so we have so-and-so from AMD here to tell us all about this awesome feature you can't enable yet in this game we're playing right now!"

tress_bannerv5ozi.jpg

this image is so funny and amazing at the same time.

no more nariko hair.

the hair in this looks way better than anything in the tomb raider shots, and looks better than the agni demo

The hair also looks oily in that shot.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lots of people have played the PC version based on steam achievements.

Seems strange that there is still nothing.

All Valve shows is percentages and the only people who have been able to play the game so far is devs so it stands to reason that the achievement percentages would be decent.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Based off the impressions from TR thread this sounds like it could be a true spiritual successor to Physx in terms of poor implementation!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Will it also rival PhysX's poor performance? That's a must.

I don't know if anyone has done a proper bench of it yet. Personally, I'm relieved because I feel no pressure to use it anymore to get the best experience visually at the risk of performance issues.

It's a start but the force field effect around the shoulders really kills it for me. Hopefully, whatever they are doing to prevent the hair from clipping into the body can be done more precisely.

Durante

It's a start but the force field effect around the shoulders really kills it for me. Hopefully, whatever they are doing to prevent the hair from clipping into the body can be done more precisely.
Sure it can be done, but this kind of highly exact collision for soft bodies is really expensive (in terms of performance I mean).

I guess this should show everyone why current gen characters are either bald, have short hair or have bad hair. Tressfx doesn't seem to be highly optimized yet, but it's also not a matter of hair like this ever being "free" or even cheap to use in a game.

Top Bottom