• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's "tressfx" unveiled; Lara can take care of her own hair [DX11 compute]

Spazznid

No, actually it makes some good sense.

The one game using this tech is about to release. Maybe they want videos from that to be good publicity for both the game and the tech?

Eideka

Banned
Yeah, marketing isn't AMD's strongest suit. They should showcase the exclusive visual effects in games part of their Gaming Program for instance.

No, actually it makes some good sense.

The one game using this tech is about to release. Maybe they want videos from that to be good publicity for both the game and the tech?

according to brad from Giantbomb, they still have some stupid video embargos up until Monday (hence no quick look), wouldn't surprise me if AMD is stuck with the same embargo

Eideka

Banned
Maybe I'm blind but for the life of me I can not find witch cards you need to take advantage of this and will it effect your fps?

This has not been disclosed yet, however a Eidos moderator claims it runs "lovely" on his GTX680. I don't know if he means with all other settings maxed but it bodes well for Nvidia users.

I wouldn't expect maxing out the game with TressFx and getting 60fps on a Nvidia card, but 30fps will do for me. I take pretty visuals over 60fps.

Harlequin

Baby steps. We don't know the performance impact of the hair yet, let alone duplicating that to other surfaces and visual elements.

Nixxes who did the PC port of TR said that TressFX is the most demanding effect in the PC version. Now that's pretty vague. But I guess it should give us a rough idea.

dr_rus

so does this mean a "hard coded" hair physics (like the one in Alice 2) is still a better solution than tressfx?
What's "hard coded"? Since TressFX isn't using anything but DX11 (and I bet that it's not something that you can just take from TR and paste into another game/engine) is it "hard coded" too? Any additional GPU effect will lower your fps compared to no effect. Hard coded or not.

Mononoke

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KBSvavllyYc

Just when we were talking about that, a trailer of the "Never Settle" bundle.

I would really like to support AMD. I just hear so much about their Crossfire problems compared to SLI. And while I know it's 50% cheaper than Nvidia, it's not worth it IMO if you are gaming at a higher resolution.

Here is an interesting article on this:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...w-and-Frame-Rating-Update/Frame-Rat?#comments

I really love their pricing, and promotions like their game bundle. BUt if you are going to pay that much for a nice system and are gaming at higher than 1080p, you pretty much have to get a 2nd card to be able to max out game specs.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's "hard coded"? Since TressFX isn't using anything but DX11 (and I bet that it's not something that you can just take from TR and paste into another game/engine) is it "hard coded" too? Any additional GPU effect will lower your fps compared to no effect. Hard coded or not.

He's referring to Alice's hair not being affected by physics and is instead simply a smart use of animation blending.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Huh? No, it's not at all. The hair in Madness Returns is very clearly simulation-driven.

I'd read that the hair wasn't achieved using PhysX, but upon a bit of Google'ing it appears that may be in reference to hardware-accelerated PhysX in particular.

Sakujou

Banned
wow, so this is next-gen-graphics? I can see every every hair clearly?

no thanks.

How about other things than lighting and hair effects?

I'd read that the hair wasn't achieved using PhysX, but upon a bit of Google'ing it appears that may be in reference to hardware-accelerated PhysX in particular.
the hair simulation stuff in Alice was built entirely in house by spicy horse. It doesn't use phsyx, but it is physically modelled, its just all their own code.

no thanks.

why wouldn't you want better hair? Hair is crap compared to anything else on a character. It's been in need of something like this for a good while.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Huh? No, it's not at all. The hair in Madness Returns is very clearly simulation-driven.

I meant since Alice hair don't require PhysX or DX11 ( the Alice hair work the same on PS3/360 too) isn't that a better solution than something affect the performance?

the hair simulation stuff in Alice was built entirely in house by spicy horse. It doesn't use phsyx, but it is physically modelled, its just all their own code.

Thanks for the info.

iirc I read it's done by only one guy at Spicy Horse.

Xyber

no thanks.

I'd take good looking hair over all other post process effects game developers have started using lately. Because fuck another 7 years of bald/short haired dudes.

I meant since Alice hair don't require PhysX or DX11 ( the Alice hair work the same on PS3/360 too) isn't that a better solution than something affect the performance?
Alice's hair has a rendering and computational cost just like Lara's here. It just isn't something you can disable and it doesn't put the console versions over rendering budget (ie they can do it while maintaining 30fps).

Its not as complex an effect so it's cheaper. That's no reason not to spend milliseconds on better hair implementations if you have the rendering budget to afford them.

Durante

The Alice hair also affects performance. Everything a game does affects performance -- in Alice's case you just can't turn it off to quantify the effect. We'll see how the performance tradeoff goes when we see tressfx in motion.

Edit: Yeah, see above.

Hatten

I remember that final fantasy movie making a lot of noise about its hair physics

Remember that one? and how it went?

So what other games will most likely make use of this in the near future? Bioshock Infinity ?

The witcher 3? Would this be added in a patch to crysis 3 ?

elohel

I remember that final fantasy movie making a lot of noise about its hair physics

Remember that one? and how it went?

to be fair that does still have some of the best looking hair ever in it

specially when they kiss on the ship but that's besides the point

this isn't a company completely betting the farm on one thing here it's just an additional bonus

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Alice's hair has a rendering and computational cost just like Lara's here. It just isn't something you can disable and it doesn't put the console versions over rendering budget (ie they can do it while maintaining 30fps).

Its not as complex an effect so it's cheaper. That's no reason not to spend milliseconds on better hair implementations if you have the rendering budget to afford them.

The Alice hair also affects performance. Everything a game does affects performance -- in Alice's case you just can't turn it off to quantify the effect. We'll see how the performance tradeoff goes when we see tressfx in motion.

Edit: Yeah, see above.

thanks for clearing that up.

Xyber

So what other games will most likely make use of this in the near future? Bioshock Infinity ?

Why add it to Crysis? I think I've seen 1 screenshot from that game with someone who has hair that would benefit from this.

But I do want it The Witcher 3, the hair in TW2 was pretty bad.

Lime

Depends on whether or not the game will include characters with relatively longer hair *and* most importantly if it pays off allocating workhours to.

Top Bottom