• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's "tressfx" unveiled; Lara can take care of her own hair [DX11 compute]

derFeef

I think it will animate just like the regular mesh.

No.

DirectCompute is additionally utilized to perform the real-time physics simulations for TressFX Hair. This physics system treats each strand of hair as a chain with dozens of links, permitting for forces like gravity, wind and movement of the head to move and curl Lara’s hair in a realistic fashion. Further, collision detection is performed to ensure that strands do not pass through one another, or other solid surfaces such as Lara’s head, clothing and body. Finally, hair styles are simulated by gradually pulling the strands back towards their original shape after they have moved in response to an external force.

Video now.

The thing is, the game launches in less than a week. There will be plenty of footage available then and I'm sure they are aware that people want video now. What does not showing footage now accomplish? If it doesn't work well, hyping it at all was a mistake, if it does work well show it off! It's not like it won't be abundantly clear how well the tech works when people own the game in a few days.

Woot! I'm safe with my 7850! Looks like picking Tomb Raider as my free game turned out to be a better choice than I thought it would be.

Demon Ice

Banned
I think a mod should edit the title so people know it's supported on all DX11 cards, AMD and Nvidia. People are asking that a lot, despite [DX11 Compute] being in the title.

TheExodu5

Banned
If this is DX11 Computer, I'm assuming the GTX 600 series will probably fair pretty poorly? I seem to recall NVidia made some big compromises when it came to the compute performance of the GTX 600 series.

If this is DX11 Computer, I'm assuming the GTX 600 series will probably fair pretty poorly? I seem to recall NVidia made some big compromises when it came to the compute performance of the GTX 600 series.

Double precision... yes.. I highly doubt this uses double precision.

Buft

Neo Member
Fuck AMD and Nvidia with coming up with hardware specific libraries instead of just using a open solution that can work on all cards..........
Amen to that, I have an AMD card and while this looks great the games I play still have a ton of slowdown with shadows in some games, even those that have the gaming unlocked logo on the box

GHG

Its really good for the industry that AMD are keeping this tech open and not closing it off to being exclusive on their platform (which they could easily do...) even despite them developing this tech.

Think I will definitely support AMD during my next upgrade (Fall 2014/Early 2015) in some way whether thats through buying a GPU of theirs or even going for their CPU platfrom.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
NVIDIA will have had time to create its own hair tech before we get a video from AMD...ffs
No one is going to make a hardware decision for TR until the benchmarks come out. AMD has no reason to rush out video and I'm sure they're still working on drivers for this feature.

KKRT00

I wonder how open is AMD with this algorithm. Do devs need to sign something to use it, or its quite free to use as long as You have some sort of partnership with AMD.
If later, it should appear in next version of CryEngine 3, if former we will need wait for Crytek to write their own algorithm ;\

I wonder how open is AMD with this algorithm. Do devs need to sign something to use it, or its quite free to use as long as You have some sort of partnership with AMD.
If later, it should appear in next version of CryEngine 3, if former we will need wait for Crytek to write their own algorithm ;\

We don't know the info yet... but AMD is kinda struggling to stay relevant (which saddens me aside from one gaming laptop, all of my graphics have been ATi/AMD for almost as long as I've been building PCs... Before that, it was 3DFX... Voodoo 2 fo' life!). If they made it proprietary (AMD cards only) it would simply not be used. AMD's video card marketshare is smaller than nvidia's by quite a bit (according to Steam surveys). Now, requiring it to be licensed... well... that seems a possibility, but then again I'm pretty sure physx has to be licensed (or have your game be heavily branded by Nvidia) so I can see them going that route... but if it's seemless to the end user no matter which card they have, licensing to game developers would work fine.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Do you think with this that devs will stop supporting Physx? I dont see why they would put that in there because this new tech works with any dx11 card.

Do you think with this that devs will stop supporting Physx? I dont see why they would put that in there because this new tech works with any dx11 card.

Remember, direct compute and OpenCL are both nothing new... developers have been free to use them since day 1. Part of it is money hatting. Nvidia tossing money at devs to use their tech so people are forced to buy their cards to get the best graphics. The other part is simply that from a pure product standpoint, nvidia has been winning in the graphics card business for many years and it's easier to use features on a product that most people use.

I can appreciate a good bit of tech as good as the next nerd/geek.

I just find it kind of sad that with all this horsepower available the best thing the developers decided effort should be expended upon was improving things that pretty much amounts to fluff in the big scheme of things. Yet we're likely left with the same tired old gameplay mechanics that we're been saddled with for generations now.

Apologies for disrupting the thread, this wasn't really the best place for my whining on the creative state of the industry.

As you were...

You are right that it will likely never impact gameplay, though i wouldn't be shocked if there were some gameplay applications, but it has been such a prevalent nagging issue graphically that it has certainly impacted the types and look of the characters in games.

Top Bottom