• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's "tressfx" unveiled; Lara can take care of her own hair [DX11 compute]

Harlequin

IT'S HERE :D!!!!!!!

http://blogs.amd.com/play/tressfx/

lara_3frame.jpg

Eideka

Banned
Can't wait for Eurogamer's face off. :D

But now I wonder how demanding it will be, it must have been heavily optimized for the GCN.

Eideka

Banned
tress_before_after2.jpg

Will this work on Nvidia hardware?
Yes, at least this is what I get from this bit :
Graphics cards featuring the Graphics Core Next architecture, like select AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series, are particularly well-equipped to handle these types of tasks, with their combination of fast on-chip shared memory and massive processing throughput on the order of trillions of operations per second.

I take that it has been optimized for AMD cards but Nvidia hardware should handle this as well, how well ? I don't know.

zoku88

Huh, some reviewers were saying that they couldn't get PC versions of the game yet. I wonder if this is the reason.

iNvid02

did standard hair really look that bad? i guess i was slowly forgetting that shit, eeewuuughghghg

anyway, props to square they've put out some solid PC ports and it looks like it will continue

Looks incredible. Although funnily enough, the standard hair actually looks a little more appropriate in some of those shots - the tressfx hair looks like it's been lovingly shampooed recently, whereas the standard hair looks appropriately matted and dirty.

Next-gen tressfx will bring real-time grossness buildup!

I find it hilarious that we're all gaga over such a silly thing as hair, but damn, that is impressive! The standard hair looks like shit! LOL! We need a video of this, stat!

Can we please do the same thing for grass now, too? :)

Its created by AMD, but its a DirectX 11 feature.. so GOOD DX11 cards should be able to play it, on both sides of the gaming fence.. I have a GTX680 and i run it lovely

So, does this mean the death of phys x? We need a standard for this, and hopefully, this is the start of it.

Eideka

Banned
is it exclusive to hd 7000 series?

No, DX11 exclusive.

Shit a GTX680 runs this well ? Good, my OC'd GTX670 should be up for the task then.

I'm not the biggest AMD supporter out there (I'm an Nvidia guy) but kudos to them, their partnership with developpers have always resulted in outstanding PC ports.

Thank you AMD.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
AMD TressFX, brought to you, by Head & Shoulders.

Hilarity aside, looks good, especially as horrific looking hair was one of the hallmarks of this gen in terms of things that killed any sense of realism in graphics.

If it isn't an AMD exclusive feature (Unlike Physx), at least it should mean most games going forward can adopt it without having to be constrained as a marketing feature.

Top Bottom