• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's "tressfx" unveiled; Lara can take care of her own hair [DX11 compute]

h#shdem0n

I'm guessing Durango will have this. Didn't 360 GPU have features that wasn't out on the PC market yet?

It's pretty believable since MS owns directx. I suppose they could easily hide certain features behind the xbox for a time. Very clever, MS.

I would be more hyped about this if I hadn't recently bought a gtx 660ti. I guess it will be cool when I'm ready to buy another videocard.

Lime

I feel bald hair isn't overly common these days, but short hair that doesn't really need to react to physics is.

I imagine if it's easy to implement, quality hair is something that would instantly stand out visually for marketing material, so I wouldn't be surprised IF it is easily implemented.

I could just imagine that this feature will "suffer" the same fate as PhysX - i.e. a proprietary feature that is uncommon in most games, because it will only get implemented by developers if AMD/Nvidia fund the feature in question.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
didnt someone post this GT6 riddle?

"Once the six skip the three
Saving for the four
Question stays about the five
Waiting for some more

Due the fact we knew too much
About the four and five
Six will hide until it can
Kevin Butlers' Jive

It's six step left six step right
Rinse, repeat and wait
The three will get some finger food
And four will celebrate."

Rinse, Repeat? or maybe im looking into too much

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I hope we don't grow into a future where this game works on nvidia and that on amd etc...

Currently we're in the works best phase which isn't too great either...

dan999

Banned
It's pretty believable since MS owns directx. I suppose they could easily hide certain features behind the xbox for a time. Very clever, MS.

I would be more hyped about this if I hadn't recently bought a gtx 660ti. I guess it will be cool when I'm ready to buy another videocard.

Also there was mention (on this forum?) of Durango GPU have Shader Units instead of Compute Units like a normal GPU. Durango GPU might be a real beast.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I could just imagine that this feature will "suffer" the same fate as PhysX - i.e. a proprietary feature that is uncommon in most games, because it will only get implemented by developers if AMD/Nvidia fund the feature in question.

Actually Unreal Engine 3 uses PhysX across the board: http://www.unrealengine.com/en/features/physics/

It just isn't super noticeable and over the top like the specially implemented versions in PC games.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good on AMD for trying to compete with nvidia. I always thought the PhsX thing was bogus. I have SLI 670s but I still think it's crap that you need an nvidia to run it well.

It feels like AMD is gonna gain a lot of traction especially with consoles sporting AMD parts.

didnt someone post this GT6 riddle?

"Once the six skip the three
Saving for the four
Question stays about the five
Waiting for some more

Due the fact we knew too much
About the four and five
Six will hide until it can
Kevin Butlers' Jive

It's six step left six step right
Rinse, repeat and wait
The three will get some finger food
And four will celebrate."

Rinse, Repeat? or maybe im looking into too much

Wash, rinse and repeat is a common phrase used to describe how you are supposed to wash your hair.

DieH@rd

Banned
LOL did even a single Wii game even used PhysX?

Yes, for general colisions and deep engine stuff, nothing that will produce nice shiny effects on screen.

Hopefully this TressFX will be solution for that nice Crysis 3 water we saw in that editor shot [somebody dig up gif]. :D

The problem with even hair physics like in Alice is that they can look sort of floaty, like its someone's hair floating about under water or not blowing in a breeze.

But I'd be all for robust hair/cloth physics for AMD cards. I'd rather somebody just come up with a universal solution, but as an AMD card user for the past several years its about time AMD comes up with something nice and neat to rival PhysX.

Dec

AMD was part of making an open source physics engine a few years back I thought. This isn't the same one but I wonder if their stance has changed.

KKRT00

And I bet my nVidia card wont be able to activate the features.

Great. Now I know how AMD users feel.

If thats really the feature that will be included in Tomb Raider, it will be just DX11 effect, so not exclusive to any brand :)

And yep, Physx was such a bullshit.

Haunted

I'm all for proper hair (and clothing) tech.

If this top secret effect is in Tomb Raider, I haven't seen it.

At least we'll get a good tech demo out of it (hopefully).

Xdrive05

Any chance that future games can use both "tressfx" and "physx" to power the same physics effects depending on whether you're on AMD or Nvidia?

That would be awesome. Also, not gonna happen because it would negate exclusive moneyhats....

EDIT: Actually... that could work out. It could mean real competition in the physics API space, meaning both Nvidia and AMD would be compelled to get their respective API on every game they could, including games where the other guy has theirs.

But those fuckin moneyhats...

Enough of this propietary BS war. We need open standards.

If thats really the feature that will be included in Tomb Raider, it will be just DX11 effect, so not exclusive to any brand :)

And yep, Physx was such a bullshit.
Indeed, any game that has Physx branding on it makes me not want to play it since they usually turn off some visual effects for AMD customers like myself.

Nvidia making their streaming device work exclusively with Nvidia cards is a joke too. Nvidia is the Sony of the PC hardware world with all of their propriety crap.

androvsky

AMD was part of making an open source physics engine a few years back I thought. This isn't the same one but I wonder if their stance has changed.

This could be a higher-level library that's powered by OpenCL, and if it's just hair physics that's what I'd expect.

I think you are referring to them going around saying "PhysX is proprietary bullshit, we support Bullet! Just wait and you're going to see awesome physics in games!", that "support" translated to 0 games using it.

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-announces-new-levels-of-realism-2009sept30.aspx

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...-bullet3b-are-havok-and-physx-in-trouble.aspx

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/02/17/amd-manju-hegde-gaming-physics/3

Lime

Wow, this looks really good. I really hope physics become much more improved next generation. It's always so lifeless to run around in this gameworld without any movement or gravity.

Most developers and people who buy games are white. Should they be forced to make non-white characters just to make you happy?

This is off-topic so I won't bother to reply to it.

BlazinAm

oh man, proper hair physics in the coming time would be so great! So far Alice: Madness Returns is the only example I can think of with decent hair:

EDIT: Alo81 knows what's up!
Is there a constant fan behind her or something?

Bullet Physics? The guy who worked/works??? on it is at AMD now.

DieH@rd

Banned
Cmon AMD, give PC users awesome explosion/smoke tech from PS4.

iJzvbt8D0r4Jl.gif

ibvU6EeXzYe1ZP.gif

KKRT00

Why not ? Physx on GPU is Nvidia exclusive, why couldn't AMD have something similar ?

They could, but they wont. Physx is thing of a past, nobody serious about their game and tech will be doing Physx exclusive features, when next-gen consoles hit, because it wont work on them or exclusive deal wont allow them to reprogram it for consoles.
Also AMD knows that their users hate whole Physx exclusivity and they were working for years on OpenCL standard, its just not good for AMD from PR perspective to lock it behind brand exclusivity.

Dec

I think you are referring to them going around saying "PhysX is proprietary bullshit, we support Bullet! Just wait and you're going to see awesome physics in games!", that "support" translated to 0 games using it.

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-announces-new-levels-of-realism-2009sept30.aspx

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...-bullet3b-are-havok-and-physx-in-trouble.aspx

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/02/17/amd-manju-hegde-gaming-physics/3

Yea, you're right. Though I hope they still have the same outlook on proprietary crap now.

bideogamer

Neo Member
Hair physics is cool and all, but I can just imagine they put a bunch of hair gel in. Clothes physics is where it's at. No more prebaked wrinkles would make my mind explode.

As game engines do more and more simulations like this it should theoretically make game development cheaper as you won't need to have an artist sculpt wrinkled clothing anymore, just make the shirt and give it the physics properties of a shirt. (this won't happen this gen IMO.)

Dec

Hair physics is cool and all, but I can just imagine they put a bunch of hair gel in. Clothes physics is where it's at. No more prebaked wrinkles would make my mind explode.

As game engines do more and more simulations like this it should theoretically make game development cheaper as you won't need to have an artist sculpt wrinkled clothing anymore, just make the shirt and give it the physics properties of a shirt. (this won't happen this gen IMO.)

Mafia 2 did this with their PhysX implementation.

They could, but they wont. Physx is thing of a past, nobody serious about their game and tech will be doing Physx exclusive features, when next-gen consoles hit, because it wont work on them or exclusive deal wont allow them to reprogram it for consoles.
Also AMD knows that their users hate whole Physx exclusivity and they were working for years on OpenCL standard, its just not good for AMD from PR perspective to lock it behind brand exclusivity.

I hope you're right but I'm not convinced.

Depending on how you read this sentence, I just wanted to point out that it is potentially hyperbole given that OpenCL was only first created in 2009, and not really put into use until a few years after that.

I was just thinking about this the other day now. In the days of OpenCL and the newer OpenGL standards that also add some more GPGPU features, I would love to see an OpenCL/GL standard for hardware-accelerated physics. The timing is right.

Hopefully TressFX isn't exclusive.

squidyj

Indeed, any game that has Physx branding on it makes me not want to play it since they usually turn off some visual effects for AMD customers like myself.

Nvidia making their streaming device work exclusively with Nvidia cards is a joke too. Nvidia is the Sony of the PC hardware world with all of their propriety crap.

wat

Top Bottom