• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Wolf Link to unlock a new dungeon in Twilight Princess HD ?

SalvaPot

No, it's not. Well, from your side it seems to be. The objective way to look at this thread is that there are multiple sides:

(1) I'm not OK with Nintendo locking content behind the amiibo.
(2) I'm not OK with it, but will feel better if there's a non-amiibo way to unlock this.
(3) I'm OK with it
(4) Not only I'm I OK with it, I'm excited for what the amiibo will do in this game and in Zelda U
(5) People in camp #1, stop whining and deal with it (I'm not making this up, this is the tone in a lot of responses, and one of JoeM86's posts in this thread actually has the words "deal with it" in it).

Personally, I'm somewhere between #1 and #2. The level of Nintendo favoritism in this thread is understandable... but unfortunate. No matter how you look at this, this is on-disc DLC. A similar practice by Capcom with Street Fighter x Tekken got them a massive amount of (justified) backlash here on GAF, at least from what I remember. If it were any of the other usual publishing villains, like EA or Ubisoft, this would also get (again, deserved) backlash and criticism.

But it's Nintendo, so it's cool yo.
/s

Its on-disc content that you can sell back once you are done with it and get your money back. Again, can you do that with DLC? The answer is no, no you can't.

Ozium

They need to go further with the Amiibo unlocks... If an Amiibo unlocks one thing that's cool but what if it unlocked like five..

more bang for your buck m8

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
More IT: honestly, I'd prefer waiting for more details about this Twilight Zone before expressing any definitive judgement.

Its on-disc content that you can sell back once you are done with it and get your money back. Again, can you do that with DLC? The answer is no, no you can't.
Straight up! You go in gamestop and sell your stuff right away. They have plenty of preowned amiibo, skylanders and stuff... Nintendo might of got yall naysayers on this one. You cannot sell back your digital content. Think about that one.. goodnight!

Straight up! You go in gamestop and sell your stuff right away. They have plenty of preowned amiibo, skylanders and stuff... Nintendo might of got yall naysayers on this one. You cannot sell back your digital content. Think about that one.. goodnight!

So, instead of paying your unlock key 15 dollars, you paid it 7 dollars in the end, to unlock content for a limited time. Yay !

No, it's not. Well, from your side it seems to be. The objective way to look at this thread is that there are multiple sides:

(1) I'm not OK with Nintendo locking content behind the amiibo.
(2) I'm not OK with it, but will feel better if there's a non-amiibo way to unlock this.
(3) I'm OK with it
(4) Not only I'm I OK with it, I'm excited for what the amiibo will do in this game and in Zelda U
(5) People in camp #1, stop whining and deal with it (I'm not making this up, this is the tone in a lot of responses, and one of JoeM86's posts in this thread actually has the words "deal with it" in it).

Personally, I'm somewhere between #1 and #2. The level of Nintendo favoritism in this thread is understandable... but unfortunate. No matter how you look at this, this is on-disc DLC. A similar practice by Capcom with Street Fighter x Tekken got them a massive amount of (justified) backlash here on GAF, at least from what I remember. If it were any of the other usual publishing villains, like EA or Ubisoft, this would also get (again, deserved) backlash and criticism.

But it's Nintendo, so it's cool yo.
/s
I'm not really sure I fit in any of these slots, but that's okay!

I am excited about amiibo stuff, but don't have that much faith in what's been announced as of yet. But the game to game stuff seems like some cool beans!

I'm not crazy on the "deal with it" stance, though. Some people fundamentally disagree, and that's okay! Doesn't mean that they need to be silenced or they can't have legitimate concerns or that we can't emphasize with their feelings!

Granted, we can totally disregard them, but the important thing is that they're heard! I personally welcome any disagreement. It'll be boring if anybody that disagreed with me had to deal with it or not participate in legitimate discussion, man

So, instead of paying your unlock key 15 dollars, you paid it 7 dollars in the end, to unlock content for a limited time. Yay !
You gonna play it that much or you just want to argue? What game you bought DLC on years ago you never touched again? I know you have some. Thats just invisible money you cant do nothing with.

also

Banned
EA: At launch you can buy an unlock code for 5$ to access some content locked on the disc.
Gamers: To hell with this.

Nintendo: At launch you can buy a 15$ figurine to unlock some content locked on the disc.
Gamers: Nintendo, thank you so much for this additional content. Blessed be the Amiibos that bestowed you the ability to create additional content.

Sintoid

Game+Amiibo is 60 bucks, the standalone disc is 50 .

So 10 for the figure and unlock extras.

Let's just wait how substantial the dungeon is in the first place.

None of the amiibo sold separately is 10$ Yoshi is 15 with the same bundle condition you showed

Let's see if the DLC is adequate

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not surprisingly a company notorious for an antiquated perspective on modern technological/software environments would continue to tether additional playable content to a limited physically manufactured trinket.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't quite believe Nintento got this Amiibo thing off the ground to a point where I not only bought a Splatoon one without owning a Wii U, but also consider getting this LE, still without a Wii U.

I probably should buy a Wii U

First of all, you don't get all your money back, not if this amiibo is as widely available as some in this thread claim it is.

Second, when you sell it, don't you essentially lose access to this content? Legit question.

Whether you can sell it back or not, it's still completed content that exists on the disc that is not readily available. It's a practice that some people have a stance against.

Neiteio

I still can't quite believe Nintento got this Amiibo thing off the ground to a point where I not only bought a Splatoon one without owning a Wii U, but also consider getting this LE, still without a Wii U.

I probably should buy a Wii U
Oh, if you liked the Inkling designs enough to get their amiibo, I think you'd REALLY like the actual game on WiiU. :)

I don't like this.

You guys need to see a big picture here.

Where I live it's almost impossible to buy amiibos. Ok, not impossible, but extremely expensive, specially those special ones (pre-order and stuff). So, to play a new dungeon and the other stuff this new amiibo might unlock I will have to pay something like $50 (IF, btw, I find the amiibo in the first place).

On the other picture, if Nintendo did the right thing, I would need only to log in my esho and pay the $10 or $15 for the DLC annnnnnnnd PROBLEM SOLVED.
If they charge $10 for that thing alone you are scamed.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Not sure about this. At the very least, I hope the other Zelda amiibo unlock it too.

cloudyy

Waiting to see what that Twilight Cave is. Probably just another 50 floors of ennemies kind of dungeon with some useless rupees at the very end... honestly, I wouldn't pay money for that.

Neiteio

Probably already discussed somewhere in this thread, but the November Direct said the Wolf Link amiibo would also be used in Zelda WiiU.

Wonder if it'll be used to unlock something in that game, as well, or if it'll actually be used in some sort of toys-to-life capacity (i.e. portable data that you update over time).

Malyse

You definitely aren't getting a full game experience without the amiibo. It's a shame they are locking the one thing that would have fixed the original Twilight Princess behind a plastic toy.

Exactly.

Let's put down the pitchforks until Nintendo actually announces their plans.

Not sure what the point of this post is. This entire thread is premised on essentially "unofficial" information. The OP clearly states the info is from Amazon, and starts with an opinion that they wouldn't like it "... if true."

It essentially lets GAFers discuss and share their opinions on amiibo-locked content. And that's what's going on here.

TheJoRu

Unless I'm missing something, Amazon has deleted the amiibo information on the page.

The information is probably accurate, but it was a mistake revealing it right now and without providing the full picture.

All you get when receiving fragmented information like this is people with active stakes in either attacking or defending Nintendo duking it out, without being provided the full reality of the situation.

KingBroly

Banned
You definitely aren't getting a full game experience without the amiibo. It's a shame they are locking the one thing that would have fixed the original Twilight Princess behind a plastic toy.

What?

How in the hell is an amiibo fixing a game?

ZombAid82

If true, it would be pretty shitty, my biggest fear of Amiibo!
BTW I love Amiibo, I have around 20 in my living room, but not to play with them!

SalvaPot

First of all, you don't get all your money back, not if this amiibo is as widely available as some in this thread claim it is.

Second, when you sell it, don't you essentially lose access to this content? Legit question.

Whether you can sell it back or not, it's still completed content that exists on the disc that is not readily available. It's a practice that some people have a stance against.

That is the thing, we still don't have the complete information. I have said before in this thread that if the content is Amiibo exclusive, that would be shitty for those who don't want they toy, but we still don't know for sure.

Does the translation on the OP says the content is Amiibo exclusive? It doesn't, it says it allows to enter the new Cave, but nowhere it says is the only way to get to it. Again, it could be like Mario Maker where you have a way to unlock all costumes without Amiibo.The main point of the Amiibo is to transfer content from TP to Zelda U. Its added value for those who support the toys.

Some people like more content for their amiibo purchase, other don't want to buy them but do want the content. Both sides have a point as consumers, I guess.

Oh and to answer your second question, stuff like this usually requires only to be tapped once to be unlocked forever (Like MK8)

You're not a Wii U owner?! what's wrong with you

I'd really like one actually, but considering there's only about 5-6 games I'd buy for it, there's no way I'm paying the £200+ it costs here in the UK. Nintendo are obviously happy to well few units at a profit as opposed to selling lots at a loss and then making back their money on software.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
EA: At launch you can buy an unlock code for 5$ to access some content locked on the disc.
Gamers: To hell with this..

This is fantasy. This doesn't happen in reality. Just look at the financial reports from EA. It's more like:
Most of the gamers: "Yeah, give me more! Where's that $100 season pass?"
Few ethical gamers: "EA is the worst, I'm only buying these FUT packs and that's it, I boycott them!"

Diffense

Oi...this thread is nothing but people (many of whom don't even own Wii Us) complaining about the extra content that amiibos unlock. I don't have a problem with it. It's quite fair for people who gave Nintendo extra money to get a little extra value. Thanks for the info anyway.

Oh and to answer your second question, stuff like this usually requires only to be tapped once to be unlocked forever (Like MK8)

Huh, interesting. I personally don't care about amiibo, currently don't own any and don't ever plan to own any. But if what you say here is true, for amiibo-locked content a one time tap to unlock forever seems very reasonable.

SalvaPot

I'd really like one actually, but considering there's only about 5-6 games I'd buy for it, there's no way I'm paying the £200+ it costs here in the UK. Nintendo are obviously happy to well few units at a profit as opposed to selling lots at a loss and then making back their money on software.

Well considering you are only planning on buying 5/6 games and you are on a gaming forum I want to think it would be hard to expect to sell lots of software to the casual costumer.

You know what they say, better bird in hand...

Neiteio

I agree with your larger point, but your wording — "one thing" — implies that all TP was missing was an extra dungeon.

TP wasn't hurting for dungeons. It has the largest number of high-quality dungeons among all 3D Zeldas.

Where TP needs improvement is pacing. Especially the first hour — the tutorial sections would really benefit from streamlining.

KingBroly

Banned
Huh, interesting. I personally don't care about amiibo, currently don't own any and don't ever plan to own any. But if what you say here is true, for amiibo-locked content a one time tap to unlock forever seems very reasonable.

Some games have one tap, some have multiple taps. Mario Party 10 and Amiibo Festival use a lot of taps. Hyrule Warriors is a 'tap once, up to 5 amiibo per day' thing. Smash is a tap to load/save thing.

This one...is probably a tap to load/tap to save for the Wolf amiibo, since it apparently does something in Zelda U as well

Moff

I'm on the team that wants Amiibos to be useless.
I have no wish to buy an Amiibo (or more) with every WiiU game to have all of it's content

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Unless I'm missing something, Amazon has deleted the amiibo information on the page.
Didn't they do something similar with Smash Bros when they accidentally revealed a board game mode that turned out to be Smash Tour? That lead to a lot of speculation that in turn lead to tears.

also

Banned
You people need to update your sarcasm detectors. Let me translate what Malyse meant:
'The Amiibo unlock won't really change your experience with the game so stop whining.''

This is fantasy. This doesn't happen in reality. Just look at the financial reports from EA. It's more like:
Most of the gamers: "Yeah, give me more! Where's that $100 season pass?"
Few ethical gamers: "EA is the worst, I'm only buying these FUT packs and that's it, I boycott them!"

Yeah, should have written vocal minority :/
But in EA's case I feel everyone at least understand what they are buying whereas with Amiibos people have deluded themselves into thinking that it's not really (disc locked) DLC meant to sell you plastic toys. ''It's exclusive content created for the sole purpose of adding value to my toys and there's no way it would have been created or sold if Amiibos didn't exists.''

tesla246

Waiting to see what that Twilight Cave is. Probably just another 50 floors of ennemies kind of dungeon with some useless rupees at the very end... honestly, I wouldn't pay money for that.

Yes, I thought the same. I doubt they'd create new assets/textures, but rather recycle ones found in the various caves already present in the game to make something new.

To me its also a peculiar decision why they decide to add a dungeon of all things. TP is top-notch regarding dungeons, both in amount and quality design, but falls flat on its face on almost everything else. Almost the opposite as wind waker, where I was extremely dissapointed they didn't add a dungeon when receiving nayru's pearl. Also, locking a dungeon behind amiboo, leads me to believe that the added dungeon is the most signicficant change in the game. If that is true, another dissapointment on what else to expect.

I'm going to wait until Nintendo sheds more light on this before worrying.

Personally I'm getting the Amiibo bundle anyway, but they need to have an option for those who buy the game without the figure.

Didn't they do something similar with Smash Bros when they accidentally revealed a board game mode that turned out to be Smash Tour? That lead to a lot of speculation that in turn lead to tears.

I'd never thought about it before, but Smash Tour could have been turned into a good use for Amiibos. God knows it's worthless as-is.

Ducktail

That's correct, my mistake.

So it was more pro-consumer that the amiibo that you buy does less?

Twisted way of thinking if you ask me.

It is anti-consumer because if you buy the game you WONT have access to the dungeon.Unless you buy a toy, that is. They're locking content and pushing you to spend more Money in order to unlock it.

And of course there's the chance this is nothing but a rumour.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But in EA's case I feel everyone at least understand what they are buying whereas with Amiibos people have deluded themselves into thinking that it's not really (disc locked) DLC meant to sell you plastic toys. ''It's exclusive content created for the sole purpose of adding value to my toys and there's no way it would have been created or sold if Amiibos didn't exists.''

It is DLC locked behind amiibo, but I also think it is true that without Amiibo it probably won't be created because Nintendo DLC doesn't sell that well outside a couple of games.

Edit: practically the DLC follows the same pattern as games for Nintendo systems, is still behind the market in the digital vs. retail ratio.

Top Bottom