• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Wolf Link to unlock a new dungeon in Twilight Princess HD ?

tci

Depends on the size of the dungeon, but really shitty no matter what.

Not sure if I will get the remake now. Was on the fence from before. If I buy a game I want the entire package, not parts of it hidden behind som kind of payment.

KingBroly

Banned
Yes, I thought the same. I doubt they'd create new assets/textures, but rather recycle ones found in the various caves already present in the game to make something new.

To me its also a peculiar decision why they decide to add a dungeon of all things. TP is top-notch regarding dungeons, both in amount and quality design, but falls flat on its face on almost everything else. Almost the opposite as wind waker, where I was extremely dissapointed they didn't add a dungeon when receiving nayru's pearl. Also, locking a dungeon behind amiboo, leads me to believe that the added dungeon is the most signicficant change in the game. If that is true, another dissapointment on what else to expect.

I'd be more worried about what carries over from TPHD to Zelda U than anything.

Kouriozan

Finishing the new dungeon unlock a demo of Zelda U.
for more outrage :lol
Well, I'm glad I could pre-order the bundle otherwise it would have got the same destiny as Mario Party 10/Yoshi Wolly World = not buying the base game alone.

I would be okay with this if I had the ability to buy the "amiibo Wolf Link" DLC digitally so I don't have to clutter my apartment with stupid plastic toys.

ash_ag

The perception that there is something inherently wrong with "on-disc DLC" is something that needs to be removed from video game commentary culture. There is nothing different between normal and on-disc DLC -- both can be good, both can be bad. It's up to the developer to decide what the product's core pricing gives players, and whether additional content justifies an additional investment.

I'm not saying that this move is necessarily just. That depends on a lot of things, like the quality of the HD Remaster relating to the price, other additional content and improvements from the original, and so on. So, before knowing more about this, I find judgement (positive or negative) premature.

If nobody new there was an extra dungeon then those that were going to buy would buy, but to know that the Jones's are willing to part with the cost of an Amiibo or were lucky enough to have a limited edition one have extra content pisses people off. This is why I prefer animals to humans.

It's that whole.. if you randomly receive £10 from a stranger on the street then you're happy, but if you receive £10 and you're friend receives £90 from the same stranger then you feel you've been short changed or robbed. It makes no sense. I for one am not like that, and take it for what it is.

Zombine

Banned
How much do you want to bet that it recognizes any Zelda amiibo that unlock the same level? Also, if they locked it behind an Amiibo, I doubt the level is anything worth getting excited about anyway.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Added content to a remaster being locked is shitty in any case but locking it behind an amiibo is even worse, especially for something as substantial as a Zelda dungeon.

Kouriozan

Wait, looks like it'll be cheaper to buy the game + Amiibo separately.
I mean, the sold out bundle will certainly not drop in price meanwhile the base game can.

PtM

Banned
I wish people would decide finally if they want amiibo to be more useful in a game or not. It's getting annoying, this constant back and forth.
Not.
With that off the table, screw this noise.
I'm cool with this, I like my amiibo collection and I like using them to get cool unlocks
Well good for you, right? Can you not like them without me having on-disc DLC?
To make TP more appealing, we created a new amiibo.
Like a damn fiddle!

Neoxon

Wait, looks like it'll be cheaper to buy the game + Amiibo separately.
I mean, the sold out bundle will certainly not drop in price meanwhile the base game can.
As stated before, it's not hard to come by in North America. Can't speak for the rest of the world.

im ok with this whether people want to believe it or not amiibo content would exist without amiibo being around the content was created with amiibo in mind.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The next Zelda game.

Wow. There's still people to believe that ? Are you trying to tell me that if it wasnt for the Amiibo, Nintendo wouldnt have released new content for a minimal HD upport of a 2006 GC game sold for 40 to 50 euros ?

Damn right, do tell them! Otherwise we'd be able to enjoy new dungeons of the quality of the added ones for Ocarina 3D/Majora 3D/Wind Waker HD if it weren't for those goddamned Amiibos! I'm so pissed right now!

Another dungeon is not what TP needs. It needs a full editing. I don't what an amiibo should unlock for it, tbh it's hard to really care with how overpriced the game is in Canada.

8bit

Knows the Score
I think I'd like to know a little more about what it potentially unlocks in Zelda Wii U tbh. Also, is Link back to being left handed like the Gamecube version?

In writing and through principle the amiibo functionality may lock off content on disc that people may feel strongly about having and I understand that. On the other hand, it falls in line with the whole amiibos unlock shit across games and the amiibo especially made for that game logically unlocks more than that, in the case an extra dungeon that may or may not be a challenge run.

In practice I can't give less of a shit about that because I do like amiibos and because I am one of the many consumers buying amiibo this is like an extra treat for me and others who do want one because the amiibo are still plentiful, both the bundle and separately sold.

That said, if you feel so incredibly strongly about the practice that it causes you to drop any support for the game, you be you.

Awesome. Doubly glad I reserved the bundle! I hope this becomes a trend as it could be a very nice return on investment for those with collections of these things.

Kouriozan

Honestly, I saw it coming, the Link Amiibo already unlocked a new weapon in Hyrule Warriors, surely in a main game it would be a bigger unlock.
Is this physical on-disc DLC?
Yes, it always was from the beginning, and I already complained about it multiple times, especially for Mario Party 10 where it unlocks the classic Party mode.

Now I won't be surprised if they are making this to get the most money out of the Wii U userbase, they have to make profits somehow, right. I'm scared of NX already if they decide that Amiibo will still play a major role.

PtM

Banned
I think I'd like to know a little more about what it potentially unlocks in Zelda Wii U tbh. Also, is Link back to being left handed like the Gamecube version?
Yes, from the screens, this is the version with the sun rising in the east.

Nintendo wouldnt have released new content for a minimal HD upport of a 2006 GC game sold for 40 to 50 euros?

wind_waker_hd_japanese_box_art.jpg

Please stop.

The Wolf Amiibo will unlock GC controller and Wii U gamepad support because the game will use Wiimote + Nunchuk as the default control scheme.

Asd202

If this is true in what world is this good? This is just glorified on disc DLC a practice I thought we have left behind because of the backlash.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Imagine how different the attitude would be if this "cave" dungeon, and minor dlc were part of a $10 bundle from EA or UBI Soft.

I guess it's ok though when parts of a game are locked in a plastic toy.

I hate this shit. I would hate it a little less if the Amiibo figurine didn't have a high probability of selling out before anyone interested in the dungeon had a chance to get one.

also

Banned
It is DLC locked behind amiibo, but I also think it is true that without Amiibo it probably won't be created because Nintendo DLC doesn't sell that well outside a couple of games.

Edit: practically the DLC follows the same pattern as games for Nintendo systems, is still behind the market in the digital vs. retail ratio.

Which Nintendo DLC did not do that well?
And I think it's complete BS that that content wouldn't have existed without Amiibos. Before Amiibos took over they were just as capable of releasing both good (NSLU, MK 8) and bad DLC (Super Mystery Dungeon, FE: Awakening). They didn't need plastic toys as an excuses to create content.

So it's day 1 DLC on disc, that you need a buy a physical toy for to unlock?

No no no, you got it all wrong. It's extra content created to add value to the toy you bought. It's completely different.

Scrawnton

I'm all for this. Already had the Amiibo figure version preordered. Personally, I do not think this is sleezy of Nintendo, and I also do not think this will be an actual dungeon, but just a dungeon killing room with no real reward that would be needed to 100% the game.

Are people just trying to find things to be upset about?

People complain constantly that Amiibos have no real value to games, but when Nintendo adds value to the Amiibo the other half gets filled with outrage.

Not.
With that off the table, screw this noise.

Well good for you, right? Can you not like them without me having on-disc DLC?

Like a damn fiddle!

Its not really my or other amiibo fan's problem is people don't like this. We're buying amiibo in such large quantities that Nintendo almost has no choice but to give us content that makes use of them. Obviously you can vote with your wallet and not buy twilight princess hd or any other game with amiibo locked content, but amiibo content is clearly here to say same way season passes are.

ash_ag

If this is true in what world is this good? This is just glorified on disc DLC a practice I thought we have left behind because of the backlash.

You pay for the content, not for the medium. There's zero difference between including and not including pay-to-unlock content on disc.

There has been backlash in the past as a result of developers misunderstanding the concept of DLC to begin with (like in the case of Street Fighter x Tekken), and as a result of players misunderstanding the concept of having data of inaccessible content to accommodate consistency in online modes (like, again, Street Fighter x Tekken).

braves01

Banned
I agree with the people complaining about amiibo here because they don't want the extra clutter. Cards or just straight downloads as an alternative would be nice.

khaaan

I've pre-ordered the LE that comes with Wolf Link but I still think it's a horrible practice IF it's actually what qualifies as a dungeon and some grotto or additional Cave of Ordeal floors. This isn't the first time Nintendo has locked non-cosmetic stuff behind games though. Splatoon has 10 levels (I think per Splatoon Amiibo) locked to the player and I don't think there's no in-game way to get them.

PtM

Banned
Its not really my or other amiibo fan's problem is people don't like this. We're buying amiibo in such large quantities that Nintendo almost has no choice but to give us content that makes use of them. Obviously you can vote with your wallet and not buy twilight princess hd or any other game with amiibo locked content, but amiibo content is clearly here to say same way season passes are.
Please do not bullshit me with "voting with your wallet". With your wallet, you can only vote "yes", or don't vote at all.

I'll just play without the damn cave, if I get the game.

I've pre-ordered the LE that comes with Wolf Link but I still think it's a horrible practice IF it's actually what qualifies as a dungeon and some grotto or additional Cave of Ordeal floors. This isn't the first time Nintendo has locked non-cosmetic stuff behind games though. Splatoon has 10 levels (I think per Splatoon Amiibo) locked to the player and I don't think there's no in-game way to get them.

For clarity on Splatoon, they are just a challenge mode based on story missions. The real content was the mid-tier gear you would get from those challenges.

braves01

Banned
At that point they'd overcharge for the DLC because they want you to buy the toy.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to drop the price at all. It's just about giving people more options for accessing the content and the convenience of not having a bin full of amiibo.

Top Bottom