• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: Nintendo sold 55,000 Wii Us in March, 85,000 Wiis

Darryl

Banned
I was laughing at the fact that there is no negativity out there because there is no anything out there. Nobody cares about the thing, not even enough to be negative about it. At least negativity early on keeps you in the limelight until things are corrected, like the PS3.

well then yea, i agree with you there. that's the point i was trying to get across. they aren't in the limelight. the products imaging is still in the unknown. jumping ship right now is a ridiculous idea because of that, it can be fixed.

Lunar15

But seriously, guys, what game is going to sell this system? Or is there simply a certain "catalog size" that gets people interested?

5m ww for 6 years? assuming there are new consoles in 2018. it's possible, i suppose. at this rate they're not hitting 5m ww by the end of the calendar year.

i really see a situation where the old managers are sacked, the new guys come in, and they have a 'the saturn is not our future' moment and vanish from the console market for an unreasonable amount of time.

I have a Wii-U, and I'm looking forward to some hopefully great games in the future for it, but I just don't see a future where the GamePad catches on like they'd hoped. And if the PS4/Durango are as successful as they hope, it's just gonna be even more irrelevant. It'll be like a GameCube, but more expensive, and less third party support, and less technical parity with the Sony/MS boxes.

Who is even the target audience for this system, besides the vague "Nintendo fan" demographic?

serplux

Marketing and promotional materials for NSMB:U, etc. are pushed out for LEGO City Undercover, Monster Hunter, etc.

That's where the focus of Nintendo's efforts is going to be...out with the old, and in with the new.

But if the "new" can't sufficiently replace the old, it just creates stagnancy / negative feedback, halting hardware sales even further.

But I haven't even seen a New Super Mario Bros U commercial since December, so it's not like they're promoting anything already and stopping that. I've also noticed a bunch of Lego City Undercover ones on Toonami/Nickelodeon and the like.

Do Americans even know what Monhun is?
They're learning. I know we're the internet, but I've seen at least 100 posts between here and GFAQs with people saying the game made them buy a Wii U. Heck, a GAF member just bought a Wii U for it last night even though he has the 3DS version.

Ridley327

Apple, Samsung, and almost every successful tech company replace hot products with new editions before the old one reaches end of life.

Nintendo thought for some reason Wii mania would survive with no support in 2010-2011 and somehow it would come back in full force at the end of 2012 for Wii U...

Nintendo business practices are outdated. I honestly think MS and Sony waited too long as well and they systems are going to be a bust as well. Not as bad as Wii U, but they'll bomb.

There's some rather major differences between the cellular phone market and the console gaming market; there's never been any successful example of such quick refreshes for consoles, as Sega is more than happy to demonstrate. All three of them have waited too long (Wii U should have been a 2011 release), but the opposite has always been failure.

But I haven't even seen a New Super Mario Bros U commercial since December, so there's anything being promoted. While I've noticed a bunch of Lego City Undercover ones on Toonami/Nickelodeon and the like.

Well that's anecdotal. Nintendo, etc. have been continuing to push their launch lineup since practically zero titles were released in January and February.

March 19th was the first scheduled Wii U software refresh. Pachter thinks that the refresh hasn't been successful at all.

Selling what it did in january and being a historic low was already dire
And trending further downwards despite new software release would be a sign things are even worse. Don't think I'm implying things have been great thus far. There's no way the March software was going to "save" the Wii U but if it can't even tread water now, how's the next few months going to look?

SupaNaab

I have a Wii-U, and I'm looking forward to some hopefully great games in the future for it, but I just don't see a future where the GamePad catches on like they'd hoped.

I personally love the gamepad, it's pretty satisfying to play without UI clutter or just having menus with touch controls. I guess I just wish the gamepad was literally a 3DS (with both analogs) akin to what Sony is doing with the Vita and PS4.

Was it ever revealed how much a 2nd Wii U pad even costs?

AZ Greg

well then yea, i agree with you there. that's the point i was trying to get across. they aren't in the limelight. the products imaging is still in the unknown. jumping ship right now is a ridiculous idea because of that, it can be fixed.

I actually don't think the apathy is due to lack of product knowledge as much as people saw what it was and decided they have no interest in it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
2kU5BD0.gif

APOCALYPTIC SCENARIO

serplux

Well that's anecdotal. Nintendo, etc. have been continuing to push their launch lineup since practically zero titles were released in January and February.

March 19th was the first scheduled Wii U software refresh. Pachter thinks that the refresh hasn't been successful at all.

It's not practically zero, it's literally zero. It's just hard for me to fathom, personally.

Fox Mulder

But seriously, guys, what game is going to sell this system? Or is there simply a certain "catalog size" that gets people interested?

I think they can turn it around this holiday, but what a botched release year.

The new Playstation and Xbox are coming out, but the WiiU will presumably finally have games people care about and will be cheaper than the new consoles. If it limps along after the big gun first party releases and actual marketing, then it's dead.

Personally I think we'll see a million Wii U or so shifted if Mario Kart or Mario Galaxy 3 (?) come during this holiday.

Mario and Zelda aren't going to hack it. Especially not this year, in the face of the coming Durango/PS4 hype onslaught.

They need a new gimmick/peripheral to generate mass-market appeal. No one cares about the touchpad. They need a new "thing." The Wii Board played a big role in accelerating and sustaining Wii momentum. They need to toss something like that out there, and hope it catches fire.
They need some fuckin games.

The search for "gimmicks" and "peripherals" is what got them into this mess in the first place. They struck gold with the Wiimote, but they threw the baby out with the bathwater with the Wii U.

It's not practically zero, it's literally zero. It's just hard for me to fathom, personally.

Nintendo didn't have any Wii U software releases from January. The launch lineup was supposed to carry the system post-December.

There was ONE release in February--Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2--and Rayman Legends was supposed to join it before Ubisoft got cold feet from Nintendo's abysmal January NPD and decided to push it back / make it multiplatform.

Personally I think we'll see a million Wii U or so shifted if Mario Kart or Mario Galaxy 3 (?) come during this holiday.
Yeah, I think people are looking at it the wrong way. Nintendo is using the time it has to make sure that it has software to beat the other two systems when they arrive in the fall.

The Wii U needs games. We'll see how Nintendo does this Holiday, depending on what they have. I'm not confident in the PS4 or new Xbox having much success either. I think this is a larger issue with the market than it is with the Wii U itself. Who knows. I just want E3.

The lack of interest in the WiiU is no indication what so ever that the PS4 and Durango will perform badly. It´s just your wishful thinking especially since the PS360 are still selling well with their relatively high price point.

FroJay

Banned

The console needs games, but it also needs more power. I agree with Pacther that the 360 and PS3 will cannibalize the Wii U when next gen hits in the fall. The prices of those consoles will fall (which are similar power wise) and then the Wii U will be completely buried.

Nintendo would be best off axing the Wii U and bringing out a console with no tablet controller with beefed up hardware specs. If third party devs still ignore it then call it a day, but at least the power/controller argument won't be relevant. As a Wii U owner I say axe the thing, start over, and add some power to the machine and get rid of the tablet controller.

The console needs games, but it also needs more power. I agree with Pacther that the 360 and PS3 will cannibalize the Wii U when next gen hits in the fall. The prices of those consoles will fall (which are similar power wise) and then the Wii U will be completely buried.

Nintendo would be best off axing the Wii U and bringing out a console with no tablet controller with beefed up hardware specs. If third party devs still ignore it then call it a day, but at least the power/controller argument won't be relevant. As a Wii U I say axe the thing, start over and add some power to the machine and get rid of the tablet controller.

Goddamnit, I always read your posts in Darryl's voice. Every damn time lol.

Darryl

Banned
I actually don't think the apathy is due to lack of product knowledge as much as people saw what it was and decided they have no interest in it.

well they'd just be seeing it on the product shelves because the product has had very little advertising push. it takes a person have a really active interest in video gaming to even know what the product is at this point. hell many people around here still think the controller is an iPad, they can't even get this community informed.

serplux

Nintendo didn't have any Wii U software releases from January. The launch lineup was supposed to carry the system post-December.

There was ONE release in February--Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2--and Rayman Legends was supposed to join it before Ubisoft got cold feet from Nintendo's abysmal January NPD and decided to push it back / make it multiplatform.

That was an eShop title, a poor/expensive one at that. Even C-tier titles like Monster Hunter and Lego City Undercover should be able to move more than nothing. We'll see numbers in a few days, and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Rhindle

There's a certain base amount of Nintendo consoles that will sell during the holidays regardless, simply because a Nintendo system is the "go to" gift for a lot of parents/grandmas etc. That does not make the system any more viable in the long run though. They should sell 1 million + this holiday, but it could still end up being the last holiday for the system.

Its not that bad. 55000 is pretty good....

Its just need some nintendo games.

Nintendo has really drop the ball on releasing software for the wiiu. Titles that were going to be made the the wii and pushed to wiiu for launch are still not out.

Nintendo GameCube sold 111,000 units in its 5th month. The 3DS sold 92,000 units in its 5th month.

55,000 units NOT GOOD by ANY stretch of the imagination.

Anth0ny

It'll probably be even worse in April. There is literally ONE game coming for the Wii U in April, and that's Injustice. I can't imagine more than 10 people buying the console for that game.

Yeah, I think people are looking at it the wrong way. Nintendo is using the time it has to make sure that it has software to beat the other two systems when they arrive in the fall.
The problem is, how many more third parties drop support in the meantime?
what 3rd party support, m i rite?
Are the retailers going to lose confidence in stocking the Wii U if units aren't moving and the newer consoles are arriving soon with lots of hype?

Fox Mulder

Nintendo bailed on the wii years ago and showed the WiiU off at two E3 conferences, but this is what they delivered. It shouldn't take a year to get compelling software. The other two consoles will have a better launch lineup just for the fact that third parties actually give a shit about them.

And March was supposed to be the good month. I hate to see what's in store for April and May with so little on the calendar. Damn.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
The lack of interest in the WiiU is no indication what so ever that the PS4 and Durango will perform badly. It´s just your wishful thinking especially since the PS360 are still selling well with their relatively high price point.

I just don't think the market is the same as it was 7 years ago. I'm assuming the PS4 and new Xbox will be $499 (for a premium SKU) and at that price point, I really don't see them selling extremely well.

Everything this new generation that we've heard about and the Wii U has feels like it's lacking. I don't know what it is, I'm just not excited for this generation. At all.

That was an eShop title, a poor/expensive one at that. Even C-tier titles like Monster Hunter and Lego City Undercover should be able to move more than nothing. We'll see numbers in a few days, and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

I could have sworn it was a retail release....ah well, you're right then, January and February had zero retail releases.

AZ Greg

And March was supposed to be the good month. I hate to see what's in store for April and May with so little on the calendar. Damn.

It is going to be brutal in the summer. The PS3 only did sub 100K 3 times. And those were all in its first summer.

Unless it gets a BIG price drop, we're probably looking at <35K.

I don't mean it literally, just whatever new Mario they're developing.

But why do you think it would bomb? The first 2 did tremendously well...

Franchise fatigue. There have been 2 Mario galaxy games already. The audience that is willing to spend money on a new system to play a third rendition of a game is not that large.

It'll be NSMBU all over again. It will sell over a million copies, but it'll do little to move systems and attract a new audience.

Apple, Samsung, and almost every successful tech company with a hot product release new editions of hardware before the old ones reach end of life.

Nintendo thought for some reason Wii mania would survive with no support in 2010-2011 and somehow it would come back in full force at the end of 2012 for Wii U...

Nintendo business practices are outdated. I honestly think MS and Sony are waiting too long as well and their systems are going to be a bust. Not as bad as Wii U, but they'll bomb.

Ridiculous. The PS360 are still selling well and generating profit for Sony and MS. There´s no reason to launch new console now especially since the WiiU is massively failing. That´s why Sony and MS are waiting to release a new console. They want to generate as much profit as possible before launching their new systems. The PS360 are still selling 200-300k a month in the US alone. MS and Sony next gen consoles will do well, and improve the overall gaming market base on console price inflation alone.

Top Bottom