• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Stanton's 'John Carter' (of Mars) Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the director of Wall-E and Finding Nemo.....

TRAILER (HD) (Apple)

50+ High-Resolution Images

johncarter-poster1_720.jpg

Cast: Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, Samantha Morton, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Dominic West, James Purefoy, Daryl Sabara, Polly Walker, Bryan Cranston, Thomas Hayden Church, Willem Dafoe

Synopsis:
From Academy Award(R)-winning filmmaker Andrew Stanton comes "John Carter"--a sweeping action-adventure set on the mysterious and exotic planet of Barsoom (Mars). "John Carter" is based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, whose highly imaginative adventures served as inspiration for many filmmakers, both past and present. The film tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Willem Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

John Carter hits theaters March 9th, 2012.

GCX

Pretty interesting to see two Pixar directors making their live action blockbuster debut only 3 months from each other.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You know, if I never hear another cover of My body is cage again it will be too soon.

Ok, this looks terrible. Maybe its just the trailer, but I'm done making that concession.

AgentChris said:
Brad Bird's next movie after MI: Ghost Protocol is 1906 which is with Disney·Pixar and WB.

Uh...right. What I really meant is that while Andrew Stanton has been only with Pixar for his entire career, Brad Bird has been all over the place.

filler

Banned
Why did I let the title give me the impression that the movie would be about an astronaut exploring the red planet? Now I am disappoint, story seems lame.

Vinci

Danish
Buckethead said:
Won't be as gritty as I'd like but looks pretty good.

In Stanton I Trust.

I really enjoy Stanton's work, but that trailer really didn't impress me at all. Here's hoping it's better than it looks 'cause currently it reminds me far too much of the most recent version of The Time Machine.

Nesotenso

Barsoom !

The green martians don't look as big as I thought the would be , in that one shot of (I think) Tars Tarkas. Dejah Thoris seems to have red markings/tattoos to indicate that she is a red martian.

So, John Carter is a confederate soldier in this one as well ?

Vinci said:
I really enjoy Stanton's work, but that trailer really didn't impress me at all. Here's hoping it's better than it looks 'cause currently it reminds me far too much of the most recent version of The Time Machine.
Time Machine meets Prince of Persia

pxleyes said:
That looked...generic.

That's because the book (published for the first time in 1912 I think) has been ripped off by movies such as Star Wars, Avatar, etc.

I haven't read them but it is apparently one of the greatest influences on sci-fi movies, hence why you must think that this is generic, and how ironic it is. Slashfilm saw clips of the movie and said it was definitely more exciting than the teaser trailer which doesnt show much, as Stanton said that he didn't want to show everything in the teaser.

IMO, it looks really good.

I assumed this would be futuristic sci-fi. Instead I'm getting much more of a Clash Of The Titans (2010) vibe from this trailer.

Taylor Kitsch isn't as stacked as I though he was. But those tweens will still go crazy for him after this. And the exposure alone should send up a few levels in Hollywood.

Morn

Banned
Bungieware said:
I assumed this would be futuristic sci-fi. Instead I'm getting much more of a Clash Of The Titans (2010) vibe from this trailer.

Taylor Kitsch isn't as stacked as I though he was. But those tweens will still go crazy for him after this. And the exposure alone should send up a few levels in Hollywood.

It isn't meant to be futuristic sci-fi. It's more like Conan on Mars.

Nesotenso

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
That's because the book (published for the first time in 1912 I think) has been ripped off by movies such as Star Wars, Avatar, etc.

I haven't read them but it is apparently one of the greatest influences on sci-fi movies, hence why you must think that this is generic, and how ironic it is. Slashfilm saw clips of the movie and said it was definitely more exciting than the teaser trailer which doesnt show much, as Stanton said that he didn't want to show everything in the teaser.

IMO, it looks really good.

Yeah a quick look at Wiki will tell you that the first novel in the Barsoom series, A Princess of Mars, was published in 1917.

Edgar Rice Burroughs also is more famous for creating Tarzan, for those who don't know. I like his and Robert E. Howard's (Conan) work.

Was better than the MI teaser. But both have been pretty disappointing.

But whatever. I'm confident this movie will be pretty good (as will MI). The source material is awesome, even though everything copied it by now I'm excited to see it translated to the big screen. I love Stanton's work for Pixar.

Can't wait for people to call this a Avatar ripoff when it comes out. Good cover (better than original AF song)

Morn said:
It isn't meant to be futuristic sci-fi. It's more like Conan on Mars.

Yeah obviously I get that now. It just wasn't my assumption. Also, this better not be a shot of Mars:

CVe8N.jpg

There are some Earth sequences, so hopefully it isn't.

Qwomo

I had never heard of John Carter before that awful poster that was revealed a few weeks ago.

Trailer looks pretty meh.

Cyrillus

I have only read A Princess of Mars so far out of the series, and while it has its faults, setting is not one of them. I must say that I was disappointed in how the trailer seems to fail to capture and/or recreate the fantastical setting of the book.

The trailer as a whole seemed very generic, and while I think John Carter looks like he was cast well, that's about all I can see that is redeeming.

Morn

Banned
Bungieware said:
Yeah obviously I get that now. It just wasn't my assumption. Also, this better not be a shot of Mars:

CVe8N.jpg

That's on Earth. Those are Civil War soldiers chasing John Carter.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I think it looks great...

It's obvious they're really saving the creature reveals for later, and that's fine for me although I'm not sure it's smart marketing. Probably should have either not shown the one brief glimpse in this teaser or gone full out and had a longer long at one of the Tharks.

Nesotenso

Bungieware said:

CVe8N.jpg

John Carter is a confederate soldier in the books. So yeah that is Earth definitely.

Nesotenso

Dan said:

It's obvious they're really saving the creature reveals for later, and that's fine for me although I'm not sure it's smart marketing. Probably should have either not shown the one brief glimpse in this teaser or gone full out and had a longer long at one of the Tharks.

The Green martians look slimmer than I imagined. Yeah, all of the fauna should be CGI renderings and I hope they look good.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I actually really love the books, so I'm down with this movie. Looks pretty accurate. John Carter's garb on Mars even looks close to the art on later editions of the books.

Morn

Banned
Do we really need spoiler tags for a book that was published in 1917? Doesn't entering PUBLIC DOMAIN kind of kill spoilers?

Dan said:

Well we'll be getting that soon enough with a theatrical trailer (probably in December with all the big movies).

besada

Banned
Nesotenso said:
Barsoom !

The green martians don't look as big as I thought the would be , in that one shot of (I think) Tars Tarkas. Dejah Thoris seems to have red markings/tattoos to indicate that she is a red martian.

So, John Carter is a confederate soldier in this one as well ?

Looks like. I saw a bunch of little bits in the trailer that make it seem like they've kept his "origin" largely intact. Agreed on the size of the Green Martians, though.

Honestly, I got chills when he did his super-leap. That's the scene, straight out of the book, where he discovers that Martian gravity makes him a superhero.

Edit: Of course, Dejah Thoris should be topless the entire time, but we knew that would never happen.

ymmv

Banned
jett said:
Looks like they skimped on the budget. LOL at "Mars". Looks average at best.

Or it could be that most of the CGI money shots haven't been done yet. March 2012 is 9 months away so a huge part of the movie isn't finished yet.

BTW I'm sorry that they were afraid to keep the original title. Just "John Carter" isn't very exciting, but "John Carter of Mars" is a title that captures the imagination. (I blame Mars Needs Moms)

bud

WHERE AM I

OUR WORLD IS DYING

FATE HAS BROUGHT YOU HERE

YOU MAY BE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN SAVE US

they're breaking new ground in film with this one.

JGS

Banned
Doesn't look Marsy enough but seems epic.

Stanton is has been pretty flawless for me. I don't like him as much as Bird, but he has some goodwill built in so I'll see it.

The title is horrible though and the music must change for the trailer to something less somber and more...grand.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
besada said:
Looks like. I saw a bunch of little bits in the trailer that make it seem like they've kept his "origin" largely intact. Agreed on the size of the Green Martians, though.

Honestly, I got chills when he did his super-leap. That's the scene, straight out of the book, where he discovers that Martian gravity makes him a superhero.

Edit: Of course, Dejah Thoris should be topless the entire time, but we knew that would never happen.

It SHOULD have reminded me of the book. Instead, it reminded me of Princess of Mars, the shitty B-movie with Antonio Sabato Jr. and Traci Lords that came out in 2009.

Actually, I recommend everyone watch that movie. It's on Netflix, and it's awful.

thetrin

bud said:
and this will come out in 2012.
What do you want them to do? Not follow the book it's based on?

CiSTM

Banned
Eh, didn't know what this film was about, still don't and I don't even care to find out. Bad trailer and overall just awful looking film. Maybe next trailer or some hype will get to me later... Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom