• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Stanton's 'John Carter' (of Mars) Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think the scope of the environment isn't grand or exotic enough... the mountains shouldn't look like earth, there is nothing like Olympus Mons here. Hopefully the next trailer or the movie convey the wonder of Barsoom.

The John Carter series is right up there with Star Wars for me, it's proto-science fiction, and there is nothing else like it out there.

bud said:
WHERE AM I

OUR WORLD IS DYING

FATE HAS BROUGHT YOU HERE

YOU MAY BE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN SAVE US

they're breaking new ground in film with this one.

God forbid a pulp fiction book from 1917 isn't deep enough for you man. It influenced a lot of Sci-fi.

I knew the martians would have to wear clothes in this and not all be running around naked like in the books (which I loved as a kid) but I didn't think they'd be wearing THAT many clothes...

Chichikov

thetrin said:
What do you want them to do? Not follow the book it's based on?
I don't want anything, but a movie need to stand on its own legs and be judged on its own merits, especially one based on source material that the vast majority of movie goers have not read.

If at 2011 the plot is tired and predictable or the premise is overdone (and I don't say that either is true, I have obviously not seen the movie yet), than that's a problem.

The problem is not with Edgar Rice Burroughs, true, but it's a problem for the film nonetheless.

Have they said how far into the story arc they're going in this series? I hope not all the green martians look like that since they should be bulkier than that I would think. What part was where Dejah Thoris touches the groudn and it lights up blue in a fan pattern. I don't remember that part.

JGS

Banned
-ImaginaryInsider said:
Think the scope of the environment isn't grand or exotic enough... the mountains shouldn't look like earth, there is nothing like Olympus Mons here. Hopefully the next trailer or the movie convey the wonder of Barsoom.

The John Carter series is right up there with Star Wars for me, it's proto-science fiction, and there is nothing else like it out there.
The look is apparently intentional. Stanton wanted a period piece movie more than an accurate depiction of Mars. Although Olympus Mons may make an appearance, I'm pretty sure it's designed to look like the Wild West all around.

Here's a link:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50322
-Much of the Martian architecture is based off of the real mountains and rocks found in Utah’s Lake Powell area. Think Petra, Jordan (where Indy finds the Holy Grail in Last Crusade) on much of Martian buildings. That way there’s a reality to everything.

This is actually a good story all around at the link

JGS said:
The look is apparently intentional. Stanton wanted a period piece movie more than an accurate depiction of Mars. Although Olympus Mons may make an appearance, I'm pretty sure it's designed to look like the Wild West all around.

I guess... But it kind of kills most of the look of the movie that they changed mars into just generic wild west. Just seems like a bad decision.

Trailer is meh. But I find people who tailor their expectations of films on the basis of trailers confounding. Way too much talent involved to write this off so early.

DeathNote said:
It's unfortunate that people are going to troll the movie for being the tropes it created.

Already heard people call this an Avatar rip-off. smh

Yeah the cast-list is interesting. And considering the fact that Stanton and Bird are the only directors at Pixar I give a shit about I find this exciting to see live action work coming out of both of them.

I pray this is a success (and a good movie to boot, not sure what I think of his decision to make Barsoom more wild west oriented though)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Chichikov said:
I don't want anything, but a movie need to stand on its own legs and be judged on its own merits, especially one based on source material that the vast majority of movie goers have not read.

If at 2011 the plot is tired and predictable or the premise is overdone (and I don't say that either is true, I have obviously not seen the movie yet), than that's a problem.

The problem is not with Edgar Rice Burroughs, true, but it's a problem for the film nonetheless.
I agree. I wasn't saying that Bud was being absurd. I was truly asking him what they SHOULD do, if it really is tired. Because honestly, I don't have a solution.

That said, it drives me nuts when a movie strays from its source material (the only exception being Blade Runner, which ended up being better than its source material)

JGS said:

I read that too. I agree that this needs to be more "There Will Be Blood" than the neon craziness of Avatar. Just bring the moons in closer, make them actually look different from our Moon, make the mountains bigger, and give them look slightly alien look.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Looks rad, I liked the books as a kid and Kitsch already won me over in Friday Night Lights...

Have Coach make a random appearance and I'm set ;)

JGS

Banned
rexor0717 said:
I actually really liked that trailer. I guess I'm easy to impress.
You're not alone. Most places I checked love the trailer. My problem is although the trailer is well-done and the music itself is actually pretty great, it does not "sell" the movie. If not for the director I would have little to no interest in this.

Morn

Banned
JGS said:
You're not alone. Most places I checked love the trailer. My problem is although the trailer is well-done and the music itself is actually pretty great, it does not "sell" the movie. If not for the director I would have little to no interest in this.

It's a TEASER. It's not meant to sell the movie, just announce it.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Have they said how far into the story arc they're going in this series? I hope not all the green martians look like that since they should be bulkier than that I would think. What part was where Dejah Thoris touches the groudn and it lights up blue in a fan pattern. I don't remember that part.

According to everything I read, in the event that this does become a long series, just the actual John Carter stuff will be covered, with this first movie being the first book. So I take that to mean no progeny--Carthoris, Tara, or Lana--stories will appear, nor would I expect Ulysses Paxton to make an appearance, except maybe as a nodding cameo for the fans later on. I think if Favreau had gotten his way, we'd have more of the books represented than we will here. I think he wanted to cover the first three movies in one go with the first film.

Solo said:
Looks like shit. Brad Bird wins again.

Poor Riggins :_(

MI4 teaser looked worse to be honest. The CGI shots were really weird. And lolEminem.

But why am I letting you pull me in like this!? This isn't a competition just because the two best pixar dudes are leaving camp.

JGS

Banned
Morn said:
It's a TEASER. It's not meant to sell the movie, just announce it.
That was as close to a trailer as I've ever seen a teaser.

A teaser sells the movie anyway. Who wants to know about a movie they won't be interested in anyway?

Ohwiseone

I like some of the visual stuff in this movie.

I trust in Stanton, I just have to see more of it to make a final assumption.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Amazing how there's no black people on Mars.
You'd think that a desert planet would have at least a few.

Brian Fellows said:
Looks stupid.

Who thought it was a good idea to dress Riggins like that?

i agree. arnold's outfits in the Conan films are ridiculous.

Dragon

Banned
Veidt said:

You think people wouldn't give a shit about race crap in a fantasy/sci-fi setting based on a book that was written in the 1910's.

Veidt

TheBranca18 said:
You think people wouldn't give a shit about race crap in a fantasy/sci-fi setting based on a book that was written in the 1910's.

I just don't understand the metrics of making this film, in this day and age, and at least not taking into consideration the fact that this was an opportune moment to have a more ethnically diverse cast.

JGS said:
That's only because Africa is on Earth.

:/
Africa isn't the only place with black people on earth.
Desert = melanin.
Lack of sun = lack of melanin.
Even on mars.

Not feeling it. Nothing really made me think that it's worth getting hyped for; no lasting images, no sign of an interesting or engaging story... but it's a teaser and I'm always willing to give anything a chance in the long run.

Tacitus_

Veidt said:

There are, but they dwell underground near the south pole.

Desert = melanin.
Even on mars.

And this is a scifi where there are four-handed green martians. The main martians are red skinned and are the descendants of white, yellow and black skinned martians.

Veidt

This shit is like making a Batman film and have Batman do his Batman things, during daytime only, or some shit.

No logic.

I think it looks great. A movie like this is all in the execution, so here's hoping for success. Makes me wonder if we will ever get a proper Earthsea series, that would definitely benefit from the latest advantages in tech.

This looks incredibly boring, considering it's about a 19th century gentleman who GOES TO MARS and becomes SPACE CONAN and FIGHTS MARTIANS.

smh disney

Looks like a cross between Chronicles of Riddick and The Mummy.

Someone needs to tell me why I should be excited about this.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Veidt said:
This shit is like making a Batman film and have Batman do his Batman things, during daytime only, or some shit.

No logic.
da fuck?

G-Fex

Green Scar said:
This looks incredibly boring, considering it's about a 19th century gentleman who GOES TO MARS and becomes SPACE CONAN and FIGHTS MARTIANS.

smh disney

I know right? It's yawn worthy

oh and btw: Michael Chabon did scriptwork on this. His last work was Spiderman 2.....

and his next screenplay work is on Fincher's 20000 leagues movie and Aronofsky's new hbo series. So I think Stanton hired the right dude for sure.

Veidt said:
I just don't understand the metrics of making this film, in this day and age, and at least not taking into consideration the fact that this was an opportune moment to have a more ethnically diverse cast.

Desert = melanin.
Even on mars.

Do you really have to troll this movie? If you knew anything about the series you would know the answer to your questions.

Veidt's complaint has got me thinking. How many Mars movies feature black people on Mars?

Total Recall
Mission to Mars
Ghosts of Mars

Is that it?

That said, I understand your complaint, but I don't agree with it given the source material.

Carcetti

I think I read the book first time in 1986. It's been a long wait.

Some really stupid comments here, but it's GAF, so what did I expect.

Nesotenso said:
Don't think black martians appeared in the first book, only red martians and the green ones (who are not humanoid).

yup, they appear in the second book,The God Of Mars, which I haven't read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gods_of_Mars#Race

Yup, they don't appear until the second book when they travel south to the "holy land".
If you liked the series you should read the second book. I though it was really good.

Count Dookkake said:
Veidt's complaint has got me thinking. How many Mars movies feature black people on Mars?

Total Recall
Mission to Mars
Ghosts of Mars

Is that it?

That said, I understand your complaint, but I don't agree with it given the source material.

Or given the fact that there ARE black martians just not where he wants them to be. Why are black martians only allowed in deserts? Sounds pretty sketchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom