• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Stanton's 'John Carter' (of Mars) Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
People should also remember that video of impressions released by slashfilm, AICN and Collider guys last week after they watched several scenes from the film and saw the teaser, which they warned is underwhelming compared to the material they were shown and suggested to not be put off by it.

I have faith it will be good. But from one could easily be forgiven for thinking that based on the trailer; from a pure photography and production design standpoint, things are looking mighty cheap right now given the amount of time and effort that has been put in.

I've read A Princess of Mars and I'm actually really hoping they do the native Indian's hunt for Carter at the beginning justice.

This really gave me a Riddick vibe for some reason, and Riddick was disappointing for me. I like Stanton, though, so I'll give this a shot when it comes out.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So it looks like the marketing basically doesn't want people to know it's on Mars, so as to make it more "familiar" I guess. Stupid.

Whatever, looks cheap and too generic.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't look as bad as the comments here had me expecting.
I think the costumes are what give off that cheap Conan/Time Machine feel.

It's incredibly stupid how they're using the JCM emblem while shortening the title to 'John Carter'.

cory. said:
I got the first three books for free from the Kindle Store, I might read them.

They have the first 5 books for free on the kindle store and then the other 6 are free on the australian gutenberg site. They're good books, if you like the crappy teaser you should definitely read them. They're short reads too.

Dead

well not really...yet
The trailer just makes it seem like the film lacks any sort of vision whatsoever.

If it is indicative for the look and style of Andrew Stanton's Mars in the final film, then its shameful.

Balphon

BertramCooper said:
Underwhelming trailer, but I have faith in Andrew Stanton.

And while I defended Disney's decision to change the title of Rapunzel to Tangled, I am puzzled by this one. John Carter is a ridiculously vague title.

A Princess of Mars would've been a better standalone title, but presumably wouldn't franchise as well. John Carter and the Princess of Mars would've been a happy medium, but Disney probably (rightly) thought the market was glutted with too many "So-and-so and the Whatevers."

JGS

Banned
I liked the original title. They shouldn't have punked out over it.

Watching the trailer again, still have the same impression. However, the beginning seems to indicated this is telling Burrough's story literally- almost like the last Journey to the Center of the Earth was a movie about Verne's book. I guess I could be reading into that wrong, but that would explain why Mars is not our view of Mars a little more.

JGS said:
I liked the original title. They shouldn't have punked out over it.

Watching the trailer again, still have the same impression. However, the beginning seems to indicated this is telling Burrough's story literally- almost like the last Journey to the Center of the Earth was a movie about Verne's book. I guess I could be reading into that wrong, but that would explain why Mars is not our view of Mars a little more.
Wait, what? You thought it would look like Mars really looks? Why?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well it doesn't have to look like the real Mars of course, but there is a lot of artwork out there that gives an idea of what it could have looked like. Personally I feel that it's obvious the studio doesn't really believe in the movie, it doesn't look like they put much effort in the budget, and I don't know any of the actors. I think there isn't much of a market for this kind of movie though. It has to be either Michael Bay-like, a comedy, or a actor's movie.

We haven't seen much yet but I would have liked something like this:

21lsyus.jpg

c195k.jpg

Ether_Snake said:
Well it doesn't have to look like the real Mars of course, but there is a lot of artwork out there that gives an idea of what it could have looked like. Personally I feel that it's obvious the studio doesn't really believe in the movie, it doesn't look like they put much effort in the budget, and I don't know any of the actors. I think there isn't much of a market for this kind of movie though. It has to be either Michael Bay-like, a comedy, or a actor's movie.

We haven't seen much yet but I would have liked something like this:

http://i56.tinypic.com/21lsyus.jpg

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/c195k.jpg[/QUOTE]

Those pictures don't show much and they haven't revealed enough to make decisions like that.

JGS

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Wait, what? You thought it would look like Mars really looks? Why?
Nope, some of the complaints were that wasn't visually appealing enough aka typical.

I never read the books, soI did mention it's not like Mars. Therefore, I'm not sure why it would be odd to wonder why Mars doesn't look like Mars.

Reading some interviews, I understood why it didn't look the way I originally imagined. Now I understand the context of why Mars would indeed be entirely different han reality.

Cipherr

thetrin said:
What do you want them to do? Not follow the book it's based on?

Ive seen a lot of book and comic book to movie transitions. Wouldn't be the first time its happened. Regardless of that though, the trailer is bad and the movie looks uninteresting.

DiscoJer

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
I don't really see what's wrong with the alien's face above, it looks really well done. GAF once again?! ^^

Yeah, me either. Isn't that pretty much what the Green Martians are supposed to look like?

I guess maybe more detail?

Ether_Snake said:
Well it doesn't have to look like the real Mars of course, but there is a lot of artwork out there that gives an idea of what it could have looked like. Personally I feel that it's obvious the studio doesn't really believe in the movie, it doesn't look like they put much effort in the budget, and I don't know any of the actors.
You don't know Willem Dafoe, Mark Strong or Bryan Cranston? Is that even possible?

Though I suppose they weren't actually shown in the trailer, so never mind.

I love the cast. It's like they grabbed a bunch of people from some of my favorite tv shows in the last decade. Plus Willem Dafoe and Mark Strong.

This could go either way but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt based on all the talent involved and the books (which are pretty much Conan...in spaaaace)

exarkun

Edit: Whoops, many people thinking the same thing at the same time. The hate, it permeates!

Looks fine to me, give it a little shine, maybe see more than a minute and thirty seconds of the movie... I think the trailer did exactly what a modern trailer should: Doesn't show the whole movie, teases alot, and keeps a lot of the settings and characters close to the chest.

And if that looks cheap to people who profess to love sci-fi, then you need to ask yourself do you really love sci-fi. Because it isn't about how big the budget/how cheap it looks, but whether it gives you a great experience/takes you out there.

nomis

exarkun said:
__________ at work. The hate, it permeates!

Looks fine to me, give it a little shine, maybe see more than a minute and thirty seconds of the movie... I think the trailer did exactly what a modern trailer should: Doesn't show the whole movie, teases alot, and keeps a lot of the settings and characters close to the chest.

And if that looks cheap to people who profess to love sci-fi, then you need to ask yourself do you really love sci-fi. Because it isn't about how big the budget/how cheap it looks, but whether it gives you a great experience/takes you out there.

"Collective consciousness" is a banned term AFAIK. I completely agree with what you're saying, I just think you should find another way to make your first statement.

ZoddGutts

exarkun said:
Edit: Whoops, many people thinking the same thing at the same time. The hate, it permeates!

Gaf hive mind, eh.

Myansie

Yeah, the alien looks really cool to my eye. The long neck, horns and additional arms will be really interesting to see in motion. His face, while alien, still maintains enough humanity as to convey emotion. It looks a really strong design, no Jar Jar here.

I love the space ship aswell with the strong Indian cultural influences in the feather like wings.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Just watched the trailer. I'll probably go to see it just for Taylor Kitsch's semi-naked body, but the movie doesn't look too bad either. :)

The song is lovely as well.

Expendable. said:
will be digitally remastered for IMAX 3D release.

Not shot for 3D and even Stanton keeps hinting that it was forced down his throat as a post-conversion option, so will only hunt down 2D screenings.

Even though it looks pretty generic, I know I'll be saddling up my thoat and heading to the cinema for this.

...the fliers do look pretty sweet though.... maybe they'll actually explain what the hell borroughs was on about with his "Ninth Repulsive Ray of Mars" thing.

jett

D-Member
Buckethead said:
Stanton said he thought that the Franzetta art was cheesy.

That's about time when I lost all hope for this project.

Sounds like Stanton should stick to making movies about talking animals and inanimate objects.

Guys, they avoided using the Frazetta art for this movie due to all the false starts in the past.

This was revealed in an interview with one of the production artists on either Sidebar or Word Balloon. I forget which one, but I thought it was an interesting revelation on the design process of the film.

Kind of a bummer, but Rodriguez may do Frazetta right with that Fire & Ice movie he has planned.

bengraven

Wow, this came and went before I even saw this.

Trailer was really hit and miss. Didn't scream Disney blockbuster to me - it felt more like they lost their ass with Prince of Persia and cut the budget of this.

That said, I've been interested in the books for years and would love a sci-fi/alien filled adventure film.

Pachinko

I thought this looked interesting and I knew very little about this other than hearing the name a few times. I'm sure it'll turn out fine , stanton won't do us wrong.

jett

D-Member
bengraven said:
Wow, this came and went before I even saw this.

Trailer was really hit and miss. Didn't scream Disney blockbuster to me - it felt more like they lost their ass with Prince of Persia and cut the budget of this.

That said, I've been interested in the books for years and would love a sci-fi/alien filled adventure film.

That's an interesting comparison, actually this movie seems to be just as mediocre as that one.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
jett said:
That's an interesting comparison, actually this movie seems to be just as mediocre as that one.
One of these movies has a ridiculous amount of talent working off a rich piece of classic literature. The other was a lazy attempt at recreating the Pirates franchise using a video game license.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
thetrin said:
I agree. I wasn't saying that Bud was being absurd. I was truly asking him what they SHOULD do, if it really is tired. Because honestly, I don't have a solution.

That said, it drives me nuts when a movie strays from its source material (the only exception being Blade Runner, which ended up being better than its source material)
I think the solution is obvious
If it really has said problems, its a poor candidate for adaptation
That said, bad dialogue in inexcusable no matter what. You can change a LOT of things from a book when its adapted and you SHOULD. ESPECIALLY dialogue. Some things translate to screen better than others. There has NEVER been a beloved novel adaptation tat was 100% true to the source. There has been plenty of shitty ones though...

I haven't seen it and I think it looks interesting/fun btw. Just saying.... people making excuses for it need to have some scope.

Dead Man

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
That's because the book (published for the first time in 1912 I think) has been ripped off by movies such as Star Wars, Avatar, etc.

I haven't read them but it is apparently one of the greatest influences on sci-fi movies, hence why you must think that this is generic, and how ironic it is. Slashfilm saw clips of the movie and said it was definitely more exciting than the teaser trailer which doesnt show much, as Stanton said that he didn't want to show everything in the teaser.

IMO, it looks really good.
Similar thing happened with some reviews I saw of LotR. That said... this doesn't look very good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom