• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess so. I think the debate would rest on if 1440p at 530ppi is really going to make that much difference on day to day use compare to a normal 1080p screen.

What settings do you use by the way to conserve the battery? Though I'm not finding too much trouble getting it to last for one day of normal intensive use, which is around 6-7 hours doing stuff like streaming/browsing/video/games. Worse comes to worse I'll just use the portable charger I have.

It's just that it would be nice to have a phone that lasts 2 days without needing a charge.

Screen looks washed out to you? I think it looks super crisp and vibrant.

Nothing special. My brightness is always around 50%. I don't do anything special in terms of push notifications or constantly trying to kill off apps if I get worred. It's pretty much right out of the box settings.

For examply I've got about 1 hour screen time right now and my phone is sitting at 78% in an average service area. I jump around 2-4 bars. I can make 4 hours screen time at this rate and maybe even more if i really try to conserve battery.

NotBacon

What am I sidestepping? Not gonna respond to an obvious troll argument.

95% of people won't notice the difference between 1080p and 1440p on a phone.
If phone A has half as many pixels as phone B, phone A will have better battery life.
LG decided a buzz word was more important than battery life, and more OEMs will jump on this bandwagon to "compete" while also sacrificing battery life.

These are facts. If you want to refute this by calling me a troll, go ahead, I actually don't really care.

Fuck this fucking phone! Can't receive or send (sometimes) texts while on fucking 3G is pissing me off...

Which phone? Sounds like it has a crappy radio.

If phone A has half as many pixels as phone B, phone A will have better battery life.
LG decided a buzz word was more important than battery life, and more OEMs will jump on this bandwagon to "compete" while also sacrificing battery life.

These are facts. If you want to refute this by calling me a troll, go ahead, I actually don't really care.

Which phone? Sounds like it has a crappy radio.

Verizon GS4 4.4.2. It apparently has a huge bug where you can't send or received texts when in 3G (not all the time, but sometimes), but I can use data normally during that time. I did not have this issue with 4.3.

CronoShot

If software and hardware on two phones are all identical, but one phone has more pixels, then sure.

But my LG G3 gets better battery life than my HTC One M8 did.

Sure dude. I seriously doubt you ahve spent more time than me with a G3 if you have spent any at all and compared it to comparable phones. Even if battery life isn't as good as you or anyone would like, guess what? It still destroys 90% of other phone batteries so basically your argument in the end is just "it could be better". Hence you are a troll. Sit down. Take a deep breath. And keep shilling Moto.

I'm glad you feel such disdain toward me saying it actually has good battery life and trying desperately to say that I am wrong even though I have real world experience with it. It's like you hate it jsut to hate it and find any reason to disagree with me or anyone saying it's good. And always fall back to your usual "but it has too many pixelzzzzz" argument. Where this argument was also done 2 years ago regarding 1080p. But you know, technology will never advance if you just need phones to be "good enough" in certain aspects.

But cool keep fighting that good fight.

DarkFlow

Banned
Sure dude. I seriously doubt you ahve spent more time than me with a G3 if you have spent any at all and compared it to comparable phones. Even if battery life isn't as good as you or anyone would like, guess what? It still destroys 90% of other phone batteries so basically your argument in the end is just "it could be better". Hence you are a troll. Sit down. Take a deep breath. And keep shilling Moto.

I'm glad you feel such disdain toward me saying it actually has good battery life and trying desperately to say that I am wrong even though I have real world experience with it. It's like you hate it jsut to hate it and find any reason to disagree with me or anyone saying it's good. And always fall back to your usual "but it has too many pixelzzzzz" argument. Where this argument was also done 2 years ago regarding 1080p. But you know, technology will never advance if you just need phones to be "good enough" in certain aspects.

HXvXu5j.jpg

NotBacon

Verizon GS4 4.4.2. It apparently has a huge bug where you can't send or received texts when in 3G (not all the time, but sometimes), but I can use data normally during that time. I did not have this issue with 4.3.

Oh I heard about that, not sure if it's Verizon's or Samsung's fault but someone dun f'ed up.

Simmer down cowboy. Did you bring any facts to the table? Or are you just going to continue putting words in my mouth and calling me a shill/troll?

I see you went with option 2, nice. Thank you for the well thought out debate, I'm going to go get lunch now.

YMMV but all my doges who got the One+ have had nothing but horror stories. Will stay away.

I got 2 that had the yellow band. 2nd one had it less visible than first and both were only visible on white screens. That's the only issue I had with the phone. Other than that, it was awesome.

Oh I heard about that, not sure if it's Verizon's or Samsung's fault but someone dun f'ed up.

Simmer down cowboy. Did you bring any facts to the table? Or are you just going to continue calling me a shill/troll?

I see you went with option 2, nice. Thank you for the well thought out debate, I'm going to go get lunch now.

I did bring facts? You apparently can't read. Nice comeback though. I'll have to write that one down next time I can't think of anything to retort. Enjoy your lunch. Make sure it doesn't have too many pixels.

I get 1-2 bars on my OPO where everywhere I normally get 4-5 bars on my G3. Only time I've seen max bars on my OPO is outside with a clear view of the sky.

I don't know if this is true for LG or not, but I know some phone manufacturers like Samsung artificially boost the signal bars to make it look like more bars than you have. On my GS4 switching from a Touchwiz to Google Edition rom does the same thing.

Nakazato

I don't know if this is true for LG or not, but I know some phone manufacturers like Samsung artificially boost the signal bars to make it look like more bars than you have. On my GS4 switching from a Touchwiz to Google Edition rom does the same thing.
But he is right that what mine did. Anytime I was in side I would get 1 bar only had hspa internet. Love the phone/cm11/hardware hated the it was unuesable most times.

If the new Moto X will be announced next week, do you think they would get it on sale immediately? And if so, what price do you think it would be?

Eh maybe. I have no facts to really say what you're saying is wrong (see what I did there) but it feels like at least for the OPO the lte really isn't good at home where my G3 had 5 bars and no issues.

NotBacon

I did bring facts? You apparently can't read. Nice comeback though. I'll have to write that one down next time I can't think of anything to retort. Enjoy your lunch. Make sure it doesn't have too many pixels.

Okay I'm back. Had Firehouse Subs and it was damn good. Try it if you have one. Not too many pixels either.

Anyways time to clear things up.
I never said G3 had poor battery life, just wasted potential. That's it. And we're already seeing the future implications, other OEMs are touting their upcoming QHD screens. What a waste.

QHD is awesome for VR, but it has no place on handheld devices that already chug away at battery life.

Okay I'm back. Had Firehouse Subs and it was damn good. Try it if you have one. Not too many pixels either.

Anyways time to clear things up.
I never said G3 had poor battery life, just wasted potential. That's it. And we're already seeing the future implications, other OEMs are touting their upcoming QHD screens. What a waste.

QHD is awesome for VR, but it has no place on handheld devices that already chug away at battery life.

So what? It isnt like the QHD is giving me a negative experience. Like you said you can't see the pixels. So what? How is that bad. You rather a qHD screen and be able to see the pixels?

Someone had to start QHD and it happened to be LG. If you told me the screen isn't bright enough then I can see an argument. There are things wrong with the phone, QHD being on it wouldn't even crack my top 10.

Exokell

Banned
people here complain about software keys when windows phone is trying to copy it, eventually apple will eliminate that big home button especially on Ipad which is ridiculously dumb.

Eh maybe. I have no facts to really say what you're saying is wrong (see what I did there) but it feels like at least for the OPO the lte really isn't good at home where my G3 had 5 bars and no issues.

You have to look at your signal strength in settings. That will tell you the real story.

NotBacon

So what? It isnt like the QHD is giving me a negative experience. Like you said you can't see the pixels. So what? How is that bad. You rather a qHD screen and be able to see the pixels?

Someone had to start QHD and it happened to be LG. If you told me the screen isn't bright enough then I can see an argument. There are things wrong with the phone, QHD being on it wouldn't even crack my top 10.

*whooooosh*

belvedere

Junior Butler
OPO on AT&T and I have the same signal quality as I had on my previous device. Not even a minor issue to report with mine other than having to wait for a decent case to come out. Loving this device.

XBP

If the new Moto X will be announced next week, do you think they would get it on sale immediately? And if so, what price do you think it would be?

The rumored release date is 24th of september so that'd be almost 3 weeks after reveal, which sounds about right. I'd expect a price of 400-500$, which is pretty decent for the reported specs.

XBP

It's still being released right after Note 4 and just about the time the N6 will be out.

The N6 could be a problem for it but i dont see either the Note 4 or Iphone do anything significant to possible sales. I'm pretty sure motorolla realizes that it cant compete with either of those phones nor is it targeting people who intend on buying those phones. Apple and samsung phones have a rather well established consumer base who will buy each company's products irrespective of what other companies release.

Its the more 'aware' consumer who will go to a store and get a X+1 rather than a Note 4 or Iphone 6. Same is the case with xperia z3 which is releasing in september as well.

Fatalah

They'll probably start taking pre-orders. Price I'd imagine will be $400 like the Moto X.

Not true, the Moto X was priced similarly to the HTC One and the Galaxy 5 at launch and for months after release. $580 -- Its high price was part of why everyone was initially let down by Motorola.

I bought my Moto X used in October for $400, they price everyone wished for.

Yeah, seems like Nvidia finally has a winner on its hands, especially with the GPU. But isn't the Nexus tablet supposed to be rockin the 64-bit, dual-core version?

That's Project Denver and no one knows anything about it right now other than, well, it's interesting. It translates native ARMv8a instructions into something it uses internally. The original concept of what evolved into Project Denver was a CPU which could execute ARM and x86 microcode but reportedly Nvidia was unable to secure a license for x86 so now it's just ARM.

I hope it turns out better at executing ARM code than Itanium did at executing x86 code.

Full circle ? No stupid cut off thing like the "360"?
Yeah, a full 360°.

That's Project Denver and no one knows anything about it right now other than, well, it's interesting. It translates native ARMv8a instructions into something it uses internally. The original concept of what evolved into Project Denver was a CPU which could execute ARM and x86 microcode but reportedly Nvidia was unable to secure a license for x86 so now it's just ARM.

I hope it turns out better at executing ARM code than Itanium did at executing x86 code.
Ah OK, thanks for the info! :)

Jzero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom