• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'd like to compare both the G shock and Moto 270 in person.

Fatalah

I'd like to compare both the G shock and Moto 270 in person.

Is it really that bad?

motorola-moto-360-hands-on-sg-61-820x420.jpg

You can say that for any phone. You can shrink the M8 or S5 down and make it And the battery will be better. I find these arguments dumb. It's more about how the software manages the battery.

imagine how great the battery life would be if it had a 2.7" 320x240 screen and a 100MHz CPU on 28nm HKMG

LG G Watch R
an f'n mouthful

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...cular-p-oled-screen-and-stainless-steel-body/

LG_G_Watch_R_1_verge_super_wide.jpg

Looks great. Gonna be difficult for me to decide between this and the 360, but I'd probably go with the bigger display on the Moto.

real talk, did Moto get hit with an L or an LG?

RIP 270.

kehs

Banned
Clearly I was talking about samsung devices.

Still flabbergasted at the the "something normal people would wear" comment tbh

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The LG G Shock is so ugly. The Moto 270 is an exercise in half assed engineering. Apple, please save us. These companies need something to follow.

Honestly. It's like not buying a phone because something better is coming out "soon"

I don't understand. This is exactly what's happening with smartwatches.

The Galaxy Gear was announced in September 2013, the Gear 2 came out in April 2014 and then they had the Gear Live in June. Now they have the Gear S coming.
LG released the G Watch at the end of June this year and now they're bringing the G Watch R.

Not to mention that everyone else and their mother is doing a smartwatch as well. I mean, who here doesn't want the Asus ZenWatch? Right.

And then we're going to have new variants of announced models at CES.

the LG R looks better, but at least Moto 295 has something almost kinda standard maybe with Qi charging vs what i assume will be yet another single device proprietary connector/dongle.

Or buy one now and enjoy them instead of waiting for some future date when they might get better. They are only a couple hundred bucks.

i'd rather buy a 2nd Vita.

Honestly. It's like not buying a phone because something better is coming out "soon"
it's like buying a phone this week. and your current phone works.

The LG G Shock is so ugly. The Moto 270 is an exercise in half assed engineering. Apple, please save us. These companies need something to follow.

I'm just going to assume your whole post is sarcasm, but on the off chance that you are serious, what the fuck are you even talking about?

LGshock ugly? No. You're either blind, have bad taste, or both. Moto 360 half ass engineered? No, hell no. The fact that it has no bezel for real disproves that. Do you even realize what you're saying? And Apple isn't going to come up with a damn thing better than or different from what's out there already. Not in any capacity that would make other companies follow in its steps. They've been the one following for years now.

But again, I'm assuming you're being sarcastic.

Pachimari

It's not to dizz anything but after the announcement of the G Watch R, it makes the Moto 360 look really feminine to me.

I'm gonna get one of the two either way.

Violater

Hi Gaf, not sure where to ask this, but how can I set my phone to only use the data for google maps?
Going on a short trip but I don't want to use too much roaming data.

Hi Gaf, not sure where to ask this, but how can I set my phone to only use the data for google maps?
Going on a short trip but I don't want to use too much roaming data.

I think you can download maps before going abroad and use them offline so you don't use any roaming data at all.

If you search for "save map to use offline", you'll get the Google support page for it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Moto 360 has a larger screen but no bezel. So when used as an actual watch, it will have to add the bezel with graphics. So they might be around the same physical size overall. 360 would have the edge for when it is used for notifications, but I still think the whole cards thing looks odd - something more discreet would be nice. Hopefully widget/app developers will be able to change things

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think you can download maps before going abroad and use them offline so you don't use any roaming data at all.

If you search for "save map to use offline", you'll get the Google support page for it.

Only a small section. Might get a city but not a whole country/region

You can restrict background data per app in the data settings. Tbh if you turn off all background data globally then you should be fine - maps will use it when it is in the foreground (because you're using it) and then just don't use other apps that use data

SimleuqiR

I have my doubts that anyone with an Android phone will be able to use the Apple device. That right there is big negative.

Violater

Only a small section. Might get a city but not a whole country/region

You can restrict background data per app in the data settings. Tbh if you turn off all background data globally then you should be fine - maps will use it when it is in the foreground (because you're using it) and then just don't use other apps that use data

I plan on getting the 100MB for $ from Verizon and just wanted to restrict other apps from accessing data.

Bboy AJ

I have my doubts that anyone with an Android phone will be able to use the Apple device. That right there is big negative.
Definitely not. But their device will be a template for next year's Android stuff. Right now, these Android watches are jokes and the companies are struggling. Maybe after seeing the right way to pull off a wearable, they'll follow suit. Guaranteed next year Moto won't have the 270. They'll fix that and have a real 360, at least.

I'm still confused as to why there is a black part missing on the Moto 360. Is that an engineering fuckup or they just couldn't figure out a way to cover it?

Bboy AJ

I'm still confused as to why there is a black part missing on the Moto 360. Is that an engineering fuckup or they just couldn't figure out a way to cover it?
They put all the sensors and stuff there instead of a bezel. So yes, engineering fuck up; lack of talent.

The black area wouldn't even be that bad, if the software would recognize it. But it thinks the display is perfectly round, which leads to crap like this.

ieFb6IQ.jpg

Not a huge deal, but still annoying to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom