• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You're missing something.

There's a bunch of exploits on different phones that allow rooting without messing the bootloader.

Ah yeah. N5, though? That's what brot has, I think.

manfestival

is it safe to buy a nexus 5 or should I wait for more info on the nexus 6? It seems like BGR is reporting that its going to be 499... which kinda ruins the whole reason to go and buy through google to me. sure its cheaper than buying through a carrier and its cheaper than buying flagship phones that are 700+ in pricing nowadays but 499 is basically slipping out of that midrange pricing now. Maybe its manufacturers trying to spread the gap of cost out by increasing the main pricing? I know its something BGR reported and who knows

Jigolo

is it safe to buy a nexus 5 or should I wait for more info on the nexus 6? It seems like BGR is reporting that its going to be 499... which kinda ruins the whole reason to go and buy through google to me. sure its cheaper than buying through a carrier and its cheaper than buying flagship phones that are 700+ in pricing nowadays but 499 is basically slipping out of that midrange pricing now. Maybe its manufacturers trying to spread the gap of cost out by increasing the main pricing? I know its something BGR reported and who knows
Depends. Do you want a 5" phone or a 5" 9 inch phone?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

It's up to you. I doubt the next Nexus will be $500. BGR is hot garbage.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

You might as well wait. By the time it's October we'll probably know, and at that point the Nexus 5 might be even cheaper, so you could save money or end up getting the new model.

I picked up a nearly new G2 on Craigslist a few weeks ago for $250. I would recommend it without hesitation, especially if you are considering the N5.

Yeah i considered this Phone too not sure why I didn't put it my list. But now I'm slowly leaning towards OnePlus more.

Oneplus One is a pretty pimp phone for its price. The recent update seems to have fixed the battery issue as well. Had it come with front facing speakers I'd probably have gone with that instead of an M8, but then again the same can be said about any other phone 😛

Yeah I'll probably get Oneplus I just had doubt when most western review said it is huge. But those specs really is amazing for it's price. Thanks

I wish they'd stop giving CM more spotlight for adding shit others did already when they could've just wrote up a post about the feature when it was actually new.

Not ugly, but I really wish Sony would go back to their ZL design. It had super small bezels and a round, textured back.

Guys.
Guys.
Guys.

Google News and Weather just got its first app update since Android 2.3. Appears to be sort-of-Materialy.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.genie.geniewidget
Awesome, though I guess I don't really need newsstand anymore, since I don't buy magazines or anything currently.

L034

Back on the RMA train !

Two months after replacing a Nexus 5 with a faulty cell antenna, the replacement is now stuck on "Turning Wi-Fi on ..."

I've rebooted, multiple times, flashed the 4.4.4 factory image again, but no cigar.

/rant

bob page

What's the OnePlus shipment time looking like these days? Just put through an order today- should I be expecting days or weeks until shipment?

Toki767

Exclusive to AT&T, mid-range phone, $200 with a 2 year contract.

Yeah, that Fire phone was destined to fail from the start.

They should have learned from Facebook.

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm in dire need of a new phone at around 400UsD price range.

I currently narrowed it down to:

LG Nexus 5 I've seen a 32G at 400USD
MI 3 16GB at 250USD(MI 4 isnt available yet in my country)
OnePlus at 420USD - the china version 64GB one since the intl one won't ship in my country.

Any ideas? or suggestion for phone that I might have overlooked?

You can also get a unlocked LG G2 right now for 239.99 today only.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171433184678

Exclusive to AT&T, mid-range phone, $200 with a 2 year contract.

Yeah, that Fire phone was destined to fail from the start.

They should have learned from Facebook.

Not really a good example. The HTC First is actually a good phone. It was just overpriced. The Fire is a POS and is overpriced.

NotBacon

New Moto G2 leak

Yo dawg I heard you like the Moto X...
new-moto-g-2014.jpg

Groof

Yes I looked it up last night and I was wrong. Haven't really cares about the root scene for a long time.

Forgiveness, please.

Pachimari

I wonder if my "bad" battery in my LG G3 has to do with the phone always listening to "Ok Google"? I have now tried turning it off in everything but the search bar.

I'm also using Battery Doctor now who says battery is draining fast all the time, ago that I have to close apps.

Jigolo

I wonder if my "bad" battery in my LG G3 has to do with the phone always listening to "Ok Google"? I have now tried turning it off in everything but the search bar.

I'm also using Battery Doctor now who says battery is draining fast all the time, ago that I have to close apps.
Next thing you'll tell us is that you're using advanced task killer too. :p

Groof

The best way to tell if your battery is draining fast is to not give a shit.
Really.
Pick out a time of day where you check your battery every day and factor in what you've been doing. If it is the same or close, then you're fine. If not, do a factory reset and install your most important apps one by one to see what app might be causing the drain.

Also having a lot of things pinging in the background leads to lesser battery life.

Pachimari

It's just striking coming from an iPhone 5. Or maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. But I'm not criticizing anything here.

Of course I want my battery to not run out when I am outside, and that's why I'm ordering extra batteries on September 1.

Which is another great feature of the LG G3, replaceable batteries.

Love it.

It's just striking coming from an iPhone 5. Or maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. But I'm not criticizing anything here.

Of course I want my battery to not run out when I am outside, and that's why I'm ordering extra batteries on September 1.

Which is another great feature of the LG G3, replaceable batteries.

Love it.

Your device is defective or something is wrong. Mine powers through easily the whole day. I don't technically need to charge mine everyday, but I do it anyway out of habit. I can probably go 2 full days with it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Mine seems to go about 6-7 hours of constant gaming/streaming/video/internet. Not really a full day but that's with constant use.

Pachimari

I'm gonna test out the battery tomorrow. I don't think it's defective, maybe me just being too sensitive to it. I'll find out tomorrow.

Antiwhippy

I do think that while the screen is pretty amazing, I think the G3 would be perfect with a 1080p 5" just for the increase in battery life.

Exokell

Banned
I have a HTC one m8 with android revolution hd 10.2. I absolutely love this phone but I was wondering if the LG g3 is a better phone? Any of u planning to switch to iPhone 6 when it comes out bec of the big screen.

I do think that while the screen is pretty amazing, I think the G3 would be perfect with a 1080p 5" just for the increase in battery life.

You can say that for any phone. You can shrink the M8 or S5 down and make it And the battery will be better. I find these arguments dumb. It's more about how the software manages the battery.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I have a HTC one m8 with android revolution hd 10.2. I absolutely love this phone but I was wondering if the LG g3 is a better phone? Any of u planning to switch to iPhone 6 when it comes out bec of the big screen.

G3 is a sideways move. It's better in someways and not as good in others.

You have one of the top phones out right now. That's not gonna change anytime this year FYI.

Exokell

Banned
G3 is a sideways move. It's better in someways and not as good in others.

You have one of the top phones out right now. That's not gonna change anytime this year FYI.
Yeah I was using it in a tmobile store and it's a huge phone, screen was washed out and felt cheap.

Antiwhippy

You can say that for any phone. You can shrink the M8 or S5 down and make it And the battery will be better. I find these arguments dumb. It's more about how the software manages the battery.

I guess so. I think the debate would rest on if 1440p at 530ppi is really going to make that much difference on day to day use compare to a normal 1080p screen.

What settings do you use by the way to conserve the battery? Though I'm not finding too much trouble getting it to last for one day of normal intensive use, which is around 6-7 hours doing stuff like streaming/browsing/video/games. Worse comes to worse I'll just use the portable charger I have.

It's just that it would be nice to have a phone that lasts 2 days without needing a charge.

Yeah I was using it in a tmobile store and it's a huge phone, screen was washed out and felt cheap.

Screen looks washed out to you? I think it looks super crisp and vibrant.

Or just stick with the M8?

Are at the point where we can't last a few months without upgrading? :p

The adreno 420 chip should be a big upgrade for gaming and that should be what's in the Note 4. It is the first chip to support dx11 features I believe. Also the 805 and QHD screens are nice upgrades. Personally I wait about a year between upgrades. That's why I am on a GS4. Almost went to a OPO, but sold it. Note 4 or Nexus 6 will be my next. Samsung kind of pissed me off with their knox bs.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sweet, the new Pushbullet update lets you reply to SMS messages from your PC no matter what SMS app you use. No more using EvolveSMS unless you want to. This app just keeps getting better! Google should just buy them, this is the kind of Android <---> Chrome integration Android should have natively.

Drifters

The adreno 420 chip should be a big upgrade for gaming and that should be what's in the Note 4. It is the first chip to support dx11 features I believe. Also the 805 and QHD screens are nice upgrades. Personally I wait about a year between upgrades. That's why I am on a GS4. Almost went to a OPO, but sold it. Note 4 or Nexus 6 will be my next. Samsung kind of pissed me off with their knox bs.

Except that the K1, if used in the Nexus 8/9 variant will trounce on the Qualcomm chipsets until the 810 at best and that isn't due out until Q4 at the earliest.

With the X2 using the 801, the new Nexus tablet using the Nvidia variant chipset, it finally seems we've hit competition in the mobile segment again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom