• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any apps to change the lock screen wallpaper? My wife has an xperia M2 and I'd like to have the lock screen be random images from a photo folder - if possible changing every now and then to a new one.

Cipherr

Is the Twitter widget a huge drain on the battery?

In just a minute or two my LG G3 battery drains 2%.

Go into battery stats and post a screenshot of the app usage for us. 1% a minute on average is clearly not normal. Somethings draining the battery hard or the phone is defective.

I used wakelock detector and found some of the strangest apps that caused battery drain. Including (at that time) TuneIn Radio, which was the last app I would have suspected. Wonder if they fixed that.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hey. If I wanted a tablet for video watching on a long travel trip and can not wait for the new Nexus Tablet is the 2013 Nexus 7 still the best option or is there something else?

You basically have two choices.

Current Nexus 7

Or

Nvidia Shield Tablet

Nexus 7 is cheaper, better screen quality, and a nexus device updates wise. Nvidia shield is slightly bigger, much better internals, has an SD slot and stylus, and more expensive.

Just depends on how much you want to spend, and if you'll use the extra power because both can play movies the same.

DarkFlow

Banned

Current Nexus 7

Or

Nvidia Shield Tablet

Nexus 7 is cheaper, better screen quality, and a nexus device updates wise. Nvidia shield is slightly bigger, much better internals, has an SD slot and stylus, and more expensive.

Just depends on how much you want to spend, and if you'll use the extra power because both can play movies the same.

You can also stream PC games from your computer with the shield.

Ocho

Current Nexus 7

Or

Nvidia Shield Tablet

Nvidia delivers and promises fast updates, I wouldn't count it out because of that. They said they plan to update to Android L pretty quickly since they don't skin. Shield also has better speakers that offer a nice sound.

Fox318

I was fooling around with the general tweekbox and used the tinted status bar mod. Holy cap does it look good except on Google or light coolered apps it looks like shit.

Any way to get the effect and fierce the status bar icon colour to change dynamically?

Easy_G

That is correct! fucking hate software keys, when i surf Neogaf on my Z2, the top 5% is taken by Android status bar, the next 10% is taken by Chrome address bar, and the bottom 10% is the Android menu bar, which makes the viewing area slightly larger than my old S2! And that is with a 5.2" screen. It practically makes <5" phones undesirable.

Imo the best of both worlds is what LG does by letting you hide the Android menu bar.

I don't know, I don't think it's that bad. Here's what my moto x looks like. Using opera browser. And the buttons hide themselves when watching videos.
Zy1XqxA.jpg

Speaking of gestures, google fucked one of chrome best feature, swipe L/R anyway to switch tabs. Now we are forced to hold our 5" phones in a most awkward manner to switch tabs via the address bar. They should have at least an option to choose whether to use the top or bottom part of chrome to swipe. Google getting more evil by the day.

Since switching to opera the gesture to switch tabs is what I miss the most. Did they honestly remove that from chrome?

LG Makes The G3 Stylus Official, And It's Basically An Underpowered G3 With A Pen

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...its-basically-and-underpowered-g3-with-a-pen/

So much for a good Note competitor, huh.

I don't know, I don't think it's that bad. Here's what my moto x looks like. Using opera browser. And the buttons hide themselves when watching videos.

Since switching to opera the gesture to switch tabs is what I miss the most. Did they honestly remove that from chrome?
The gesture is still in Chrome, it's just that it now only works when swiping in from the sides of the omnibox instead of the main screen area.

I think the important thing here is price. Its obviously aimed at emerging markets who want a Note but can't afford one. It has to be less than 300 off contract to not be totally worthless.

Ya, HTC is being stupid here, but to be fair, the guy used the M8 as an example of why it's awesome. I have yet to see anyone other than maybe Sharp lose enough bezel to show a reason for getting rid of hardware buttons. In almost every case, there's plenty of bezel on the phone to fit hardware buttons and all you do is lose screen space as a result. I've yet to see one good reason to have them. In theory they can be dynamic, but that's not ever really the case to keep a consistent interface.

Sharp still has more than enough bezel on the bottom to fit HW buttons.

Android Police:

KuGsj.gif

These guys are ridiculous with their scandalousness.

LG not fucking around.

Thank fucking God almost every hardware maker is switching to software keys well except fucking Samsung.

i know. makes the choice that much easier.

It's actually because Dropbox deprecated the old Public folder and the Dropbox mobile app doesn't understand what to do with my legacy Public folder.

Software buttons are bad and people who like them should feel bad.

you can't feel software buttons. yes, that's another negative aspect.

terrier

i can see the appeal, just like m2 has a low resolution screen and now a waterproof version is on the way. Maybe 5.5 is a bit too much for that resolution, but battery life should be awesome on that device if soc is SD400. I wonder how does the sylus perform, so far no one has been able to match note's stylus. I wonder if it will be just a capacitive one....

But there's an audience for that, no everybody needs the high end socs. I have an m2 and really performs well, battery life is great having only 2300mAh

I'm in dire need of a new phone at around 400UsD price range.

I currently narrowed it down to:

LG Nexus 5 I've seen a 32G at 400USD
MI 3 16GB at 250USD(MI 4 isnt available yet in my country)
OnePlus at 420USD - the china version 64GB one since the intl one won't ship in my country.

Any ideas? or suggestion for phone that I might have overlooked?

sirap

Oneplus One is a pretty pimp phone for its price. The recent update seems to have fixed the battery issue as well. Had it come with front facing speakers I'd probably have gone with that instead of an M8, but then again the same can be said about any other phone &#128539;

snacknuts

we all knew her
I'm in dire need of a new phone at around 400UsD price range.

I currently narrowed it down to:

LG Nexus 5 I've seen a 32G at 400USD
MI 3 16GB at 250USD(MI 4 isnt available yet in my country)
OnePlus at 420USD - the china version 64GB one since the intl one won't ship in my country.

Any ideas? or suggestion for phone that I might have overlooked?

I picked up a nearly new G2 on Craigslist a few weeks ago for $250. I would recommend it without hesitation, especially if you are considering the N5.

asdad123

Well...shattered my galaxy s5 yesterday morning. Dropped about 5 feet onto concrete. Shattered the screen and completely dented the top right corner.

thankfully I purchased squaretrade. Has anyone used that before to get their phone repaired? I thought they overnight you a phone and you just send the broken one back to them, but apparently I have to mail it in to them, wait 5 days for them to fix it,and then they mail it back. I told them that it needs the frame and screen fixed. Anyone know if they use genuine parts or the cheap stuff?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Unlocking your bootloader wipes. Rooting doesn't. But you need to unlock to root.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Also man wireless charging seemed kinda useless at first but it's kinda cool. I still can't see any benefit to it though other than you don't have to plug your phone up which is a minor inconvenience at best. Still, good to use if you have it.

It's sweet. I have the official Nexus charger (the flat 2013 one, not the half-orb one), and I love it. It's not an essential accessory in any way, no, but it's damn convenient. Not having to mess with plugging in and unplugging cables is great. The one drawback is that it's not very feasible to use the phone while it's charging, but I still have cables for when I really need to do that.

Bullshit cause when you scroll on Chrome the bar hides. That's the fucking purpose of immersive mode.

That's not what immersive mode is. Immersive mode is when ALL of the system UI is hidden, and you have to swipe down from the top of the screen to show it. Mainly used in games. AFAIK the navigation bar is never hidden in Chrome?

Lol no. M7 had no menu button. It fucked up. You could have at least said the One X.

Menu button? That crap has been deprecated for years now in favor of overflow buttons (and other more recent UI mechanics), which are a much better way to show additional actions. It was never good design to have a button that you didn't know what the hell it would even do (if anything at all) until you pressed it. All the keys a phone should have are Back, Home and Recent Apps (which even Samsung have finally accepted, although they still refuse to put them in the correct order).

(And yeah, software keys are superior in almost every way. The "stealing all mah screen spacez" thing is overblown, as most apps where maximum screen utilization is important hide the system UI anyway.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom