• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I love swype.

Also man wireless charging seemed kinda useless at first but it's kinda cool. I still can't see any benefit to it though other than you don't have to plug your phone up which is a minor inconvenience at best. Still, good to use if you have it.

Exokell

Banned
Thank fucking God almost every hardware maker is switching to software keys well except fucking Samsung. Got an m8 and its brilliant.

Toki767

I would use Swype more if it didn't use Dragon for voice. It also takes a lot longer to load up than Swiftkey or Google Keyboard. That thing is so bloated.

Groof

Would someone be so kind to tell me what it's like to be able to use your phone for more than 10 minutes without seeing your battery running way?

:(

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
not for me, so far swype has been the best predicting whan i was typing, swiftkey, not so much
For swiping, I agree. I can't stand flow on SwiftKey so I disable it. I've mentioned in this thread before, but over time Swype just seems to lag for me. It's fine as first, but then there's just way too much delay in key presses. If it didn't have that problem for me, I'd use it more because I actually like the keyboard.

terrier

For swiping, I agree. I can't stand flow on SwiftKey so I disable it. I've mentioned in this thread before, but over time Swype just seems to lag for me. It's fine as first, but then there's just way too much delay in key presses. If it didn't have that problem for me, I'd use it more because I actually like the keyboard.

i haven't had those issues, maybe because i don't use their online sync option, i always skip that when installing the app. I've read about those lag issues, but never happened , crosses fingers :p

Would someone be so kind to tell me what it's like to be able to use your phone for more than 10 minutes without seeing your battery running way?

:(

I never have that problem with my Note II. Nearly 2 years now of all day battery life using it continuously to surf the web and run apps.

Using the navigation murders the battery though.

Thank fucking God almost every hardware maker is switching to software keys well except fucking Samsung. Got an m8 and its brilliant.

What is the benefit of wasting screen space on buttons and what makes them so great compared to capacitive hardware buttons? I don't get it.

longdi

Banned
This is the worst direction of Android phones. Why do you like wasting screen space?

That is correct! fucking hate software keys, when i surf Neogaf on my Z2, the top 5% is taken by Android status bar, the next 10% is taken by Chrome address bar, and the bottom 10% is the Android menu bar, which makes the viewing area slightly larger than my old S2! And that is with a 5.2" screen. It practically makes <5" phones undesirable.

Imo the best of both worlds is what LG does by letting you hide the Android menu bar.

Furyous

I hope Google steals CM's software feature from CM11S. Force OEMs to use both software and hardware buttons. Give the consumer the choice between the two. We need to hear both sides. One hand hardware buttons is some 2011 shit. On the other hand, software buttons waste screen space. What about a buttonless design that uses gestures?

*drops the mic*

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That is correct! fucking hate software keys, when i surf Neogaf on my Z2, the top 5% is taken by Android status bar, the next 10% is taken by Chrome address bar, and the bottom 10% is the Android menu bar, which makes the viewing area slightly larger than my old S2! And that is with a 5.2" screen. It practically makes <5" phones undesirable.

Imo the best of both worlds is what LG does by letting you hide the Android menu bar.

Bullshit cause when you scroll on Chrome the bar hides. That's the fucking purpose of immersive mode.

I hope Google steals CM's software feature from CM11S. Force OEMs to use both software and hardware buttons. Give the consumer the choice between the two. We need to hear both sides. One hand hardware buttons is some 2011 shit. On the other hand, software buttons waste screen space. What about a buttonless design that uses gestures?

*drops the mic*

Gestures have their own issues, Google tested a gesture command wheel in AOSP Android browser but it never made it into Chrome because it was not very effective compared to just having buttons.

This is what Chrome looks like on my Note II.

Screenshots_2014-08-25-10-15-51.png

#TeamButtons
#HardwareButtonsMasterRace

Edit: wtf Dropbox, fuck this I'll fix it later

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Oneplus One gives you the choice between software and hardware keys. I am currently using software keys and i like it.

I wish manufacturers would go back to disappearing softkeys on the bezel like some HTC models. All of the benefits for exterior design with none of the viewable content compromises.

It doesn't really seem that L is going to do anything new with the status bar even with the introduction of material design. God help us all if we have to deal with a Google button like those androidpolice rumors from a while back.

longdi

Banned
Speaking of gestures, google fucked one of chrome best feature, swipe L/R anyway to switch tabs. Now we are forced to hold our 5" phones in a most awkward manner to switch tabs via the address bar. They should have at least an option to choose whether to use the top or bottom part of chrome to swipe. Google getting more evil by the day.

kehs

Banned
Someone sent me an email recently.

I can't get into details but apparently samsung has some awesome new screen coming soon. Sharp Aquos is gonna look like an antique.

It's not quite hologram tech, but it might as well be.

Samsung is on the forefront of display tech, I'm usually one to shit on them but wow, from the tech videos I saw. It's gonna change how we interact with technology. Not just phones or computers.

This. M7 did it right. M8 fucked up with software keys

Yep. The M8 has a "bigger" screen, but all you did was made the phone bigger and yet have the same relative screen size since the software buttons kill any advantage in a bigger screen size that you got. It's now just a bigger version of the M7.

VoxPop

Someone sent me an email recently.

I can't get into details but apparently samsung has some awesome new screen coming soon. Sharp Aquos is gonna look like an antique.

It's not quite hologram tech, but it might as well be.

Samsung is on the forefront of display tech, I'm usually one to shit on them but wow, from the tech videos I saw. It's gonna change how we interact with technology. Not just phones or computers.

but would I have to use it with TouchWiz?

Groof

Yep. The M8 has a "bigger" screen, but all you did was made the phone bigger and yet have the same relative screen size since the software buttons kill any advantage in a bigger screen size that you got. It's now just a bigger version of the M7.
Honestly this is more HTC being stupid. What they should have done was remove the stupid black bar that was reduced to only housing the HTC logo. Remove that and you have a much more compact phone.

NotBacon

"I hate my screen so much that I want to waste it on displaying fucking buttons instead of content"

Immersive mode + transparent nav buttons = pretty much fullscreen without having to deal with hardware buttons.

not for me, so far swype has been the best predicting when i was typing, swiftkey, not so much

Have you tried Google Keyboard? I actually switched to it a few weeks ago and I'm like its swiping/prediction even more than Swiftkey.

Cipherr

This is what Chrome looks like on my Note II.

Screenshots_2014-08-25-10-15-51.png

#TeamButtons
#HardwareButtonsMasterRace

Edit: wtf Dropbox, fuck this I'll fix it later

This is what happens when you forsake the software buttons god. He smites your cloud storage.

#Teamsoftbutts
#Thatsoundskinky
#&#9665; &#9711; &#9633;
#CapacitiveSucks

This is what happens when you forsake the software buttons god. He smites your cloud storage.

#Teamsoftbutts
#Thatsoundskinky
#&#9665; &#9711; &#9633;
#CapacitiveSucks

It's actually because Dropbox deprecated the old Public folder and the Dropbox mobile app doesn't understand what to do with my legacy Public folder.

Software buttons are bad and people who like them should feel bad.

Hey. If I wanted a tablet for video watching on a long travel trip and can not wait for the new Nexus Tablet is the 2013 Nexus 7 still the best option or is there something else?

Marco1

Just purchased a 32GB Nexus 5 red after they posted stock available 29th August. I really wanted the black but there's no sign of it.
The recent iphone6 photos and ios8 have pushed me towards android L and I feel the N5 and it's price point are a good place to start.

Honestly this is more HTC being stupid. What they should have done was remove the stupid black bar that was reduced to only housing the HTC logo. Remove that and you have a much more compact phone.

Ya, HTC is being stupid here, but to be fair, the guy used the M8 as an example of why it's awesome. I have yet to see anyone other than maybe Sharp lose enough bezel to show a reason for getting rid of hardware buttons. In almost every case, there's plenty of bezel on the phone to fit hardware buttons and all you do is lose screen space as a result. I've yet to see one good reason to have them. In theory they can be dynamic, but that's not ever really the case to keep a consistent interface.

Groof

Well we all know you hate usability on phones. A smartphone with a dead battery isn't very useful is it?
At least I don't feel like personally attacking every single person by coming up with reasons that have nothing to do with the subject at hand because they might have said something bad about my favourite smartphone maker.

Ya, HTC is being stupid here, but to be fair, the guy used the M8 as an example of why it's awesome. I have yet to see anyone other than maybe Sharp lose enough bezel to show a reason for getting rid of hardware buttons. In almost every case, there's plenty of bezel on the phone to fit hardware buttons and all you do is lose screen space as a result. I've yet to see one good reason to have them. In theory they can be dynamic, but that's not ever really the case to keep a consistent interface.
While true that most phones still have enough bezel to house hardware buttons, software buttons are still better for both manufacturer and consumer. The manufacturer has less moving parts to deal with, thus lessening production times and costs (even if miniscule), as well as reduce potential broken parts to repair.
For the consumer, they're better for usability. They're not really taken advantage of as one thought they would, but the whole thing with them spinning with your orientation or changing shape depending on what you're doing? That's huge for cognitive understanding and help a beginners get what's going on. The OEM could also simply add or remove or change buttons at the flick of a button, instead of having to produce new devices just to change button layouts.

I will forever be #teamsoftbutt, even though they're not utilised to their full potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom