• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

It really isn't bad as people are saying. I'm not sure why people are getting bad battery life. Mine so far is just a notch below my G2 which with the better resolution, more powerful hardware, and bigger screen is already impressive.

Or it could be cause I'm on T-mobile.
I came from an iPhone 5 and on that the battery lasted me longer than on the G3. So that's the one I'm comparing it to.

LG is teasing a new smartwatch for IFA. Based on the teaser, looks like the watch will have a circular face like the Moto 360. However, unlike the Moto 360, this watch could be a perfect circle, with no gap at the bottom.

LG will reveal a circular smartwatch next week to compete with the Moto 360

Makes me wonder if it was a mistake on Moto's part to wait this long for the 360's release. If LG matches the Moto 360's features, price, and doesn't have the gap at the bottom, then I see no reason for anyone to get the 360 (unless the LG watch is butt ugly).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Does anyone here know where I can buy grippier back cover for the G3? I would prefer a total replacement for the back cover. I just hate cases.

I really wish manufacturers wouldn't go for a gloss finish on the backs. We would like to actually be able to grip the phone comfortably!

Is there a known bug in 4.4.4 or the N5 that pulls down the notification center during a call? 99% of the time, when I'm about the end a call, the notification center is pulled down. And yes, the proximity sensor works. The screen goes from black to the NC instead of the call screen.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
LG is teasing a new smartwatch for IFA. Based on the teaser, looks like the watch will have a circular face like the Moto 360. However, unlike the Moto 360, this watch could be a perfect circle, with no gap at the bottom.

LG will reveal a circular smartwatch next week to compete with the Moto 360

Makes me wonder if it was a mistake on Moto's part to wait this long for the 360's release. If LG matches the Moto 360's features, price, and doesn't have the gap at the bottom, then I see no reason for anyone to get the 360 (unless the LG watch is butt ugly).

Finally, a real Moto 360 and not the sickening Moto 270. Though I see nothing in the article indicating it will be an actual 360.

Finally, a real Moto 360 and not the sickening Moto 270. Though I see nothing in the article indicating it will be an actual 360.

They make a reference to "feel the gap" and a "perfect circle" at 15 second mark in the teaser video.

Edit: Oh yeah. Somebody from the Verge comments section, extracted faces shown in the video. The watch could end up looking like this:

5ppNnnj.png

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'll take a real classy men's watch to wear in a business setting or when I'm going out and need to wear a watch vs any of these smartwatches.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'll take a real classy men's watch to wear in a business setting or when I'm going out and need to wear a watch vs any of these smartwatches.
I'll take Apple's take vs any of these amateur hour attempts.

mclem

Hmmm. My S3 appears to have suddenly expired on me. Seemed fine when I plugged it in to charge over night, and this morning I'm not getting anything out of it. No response from powering, no response from removing and replacing the battery, no sign of life when I connect it to a PC. Doesn't seem to want to boot into safe mode; Kies can't see it.

The thing is, I'm literally a few weeks from my contract expiring and being offered an upgrade, so now I'm wondering how best to handle this. It seems pointless to send it off for repair when I'll be getting a new one very shortly anyway, but since I'm going off on holiday quite close to the end of the contract renewal period, I'm not sure I can afford to dawdle if I want the device to be available.

I would go to your carrier and see if they could push your upgrade up a few months. It sometimes works, especially if you are a long time customer

Hmmm. My S3 appears to have suddenly expired on me. Seemed fine when I plugged it in to charge over night, and this morning I'm not getting anything out of it. No response from powering, no response from removing and replacing the battery, no sign of life when I connect it to a PC. Doesn't seem to want to boot into safe mode; Kies can't see it.

The thing is, I'm literally a few weeks from my contract expiring and being offered an upgrade, so now I'm wondering how best to handle this. It seems pointless to send it off for repair when I'll be getting a new one very shortly anyway, but since I'm going off on holiday quite close to the end of the contract renewal period, I'm not sure I can afford to dawdle if I want the device to be available.

See if you can get something cheap off contract and then maybe you'll like it and just keep it. What carrier?

Bboy AJ

I wonder if the LG watch will have any unique features with the LG G3?
What's interesting is how LG made the circle notification lockscreen on the G3. I don't know if it means anything but it's my idea so no one steal it.

Hell no. Android Wear is where it's at.

What's so special about Android Wear?

e: If anything, something like the rumored Microsoft wrist band sounds more interesting, because it's supposed to be platform agnostic. Not that they'd have a choice, but I really don't want to be locked down to just one OS, because my fucking watch won't work with another phone.

What's so special about Android Wear?

e: If anything, something like the rumored Microsoft wrist band sounds more interesting, because it's supposed to be platform agnostic. Not that they'd have a choice, but I really don't want to be locked down to just one OS, because my fucking watch won't work with another phone.

Microsoft making something platform agnostic would indeed be a hoot

Maybe they should make Windows Phone platform agnostic too

Furyous

Does anyone have any experience using 28mobile or buying international phones from Amazon?

I want the Cat 6 G3:

http://28mobile.com/Product/View/68862/lg-g3-cat-6-lte-a-f460k-s-32gb-black/

and

The OPO:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LEAPLWW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've had to restore my iPhone 5 twice inside of six months so I don't have much time left with it and need a new phone. I can swing the OPO to get me by for a few months while I save up for the G3 cat.6. Does anyone have any experience with insurance on international phones? Does LG offer some sort of insurance to owners of their international phones?

I'll take Apple's take vs any of these amateur hour attempts.
People don't really have a choice do they? They either don't get one or they get the one that matches their phone I would image. If you have an Android phone you have to get an Android Wear watch. If you have an iPhone you'll have to get an iWatch.

Bboy AJ

People don't really have a choice do they? They either don't get one or they get the one that matches their phone I would image. If you have an Android phone you have to get an Android Wear watch. If you have an iPhone you'll have to get an iWatch.
We'll see. That's probably the case and man, that is awful.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Does anyone have any experience using 28mobile or buying international phones from Amazon?

I want the Cat 6 G3:

and

The OPO:

http://28mobile.com/Product/View/68844/oneplus-one-64gb-black-4g-rooted-cm-11s/

I've had to restore my iPhone 5 twice inside of six months so I don't have much time left with it and need a new phone. I can swing the OPO to get me by for a few months while I save up for the G3 cat.6. Does anyone have any experience with insurance on international phones? Does LG offer some sort of insurance to owners of their international phones?

What's the point? Your just over paying for something you can't even use?

I want the Cat 6 G3:

and

The OPO:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LEAPLWW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Why would you get the Cat 6 G3? Unless you're in South Korea, there is literally no point.

That round LG watch looks really nice, but I think that outer ring is actually the bezel with permanent numbers on it and not part of the display. If that ends up being the case, then the 360 will have a much smaller bezel and a bigger display, and I'd take that over the LG watch. The black bar at the bottom doesn't bother me at all.

That round LG watch looks really nice, but I think that outer ring is actually the bezel with permanent numbers on it and not part of the display. If that ends up being the case, then the 360 will have a much smaller bezel and a bigger display, and I'd take that over the LG watch. The black bar at the bottom doesn't bother me at all.

Yeah, I wouldn't like the outer ring that much. But the black bar on the Moto might not be a deal breaker per se, but I know it's just something that's going to be fixed in the next revision few months later. Playing the early adopter with these things is never a great idea.

Furyous

What's the point? Your just over paying for something you can't even use?

I think At&t is rolling out LTE-A in different markets this year. However, I can always use the 3G bands. For the record, having never used LTE I don't see what I'm missing as it seems like something specifically for businessmen/women that use their devices as power users.

Why would you get the Cat 6 G3? Unless you're in South Korea, there is literally no point.

I was with you until I saw Erica Griffin's impressions vs the GS5 Prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCpcEtokiJ0&list=PLCvcbJqO8a20SLqqKae1gJDluyspXo4B3

Basically, the white look whiter, colors are less saturated, and the 805 is far better suited for this display. If I have to use this phone for at least three years then I'd much rather have a faster CPU and slightly better GPU.

Yeah, I wouldn't like the outer ring that much. But the black bar on the Moto might not be a deal breaker per se, but I know it's just something that's going to be fixed in the next revision few months later. Playing the early adopter with these things is never a great idea.

I agree. The only products I'm ever an early adopter on are home game consoles (since revisions take much longer in that space), and that's only if I even have the money at the time to purchase one so early.

Groof

I have that already. Didn't know I could do it there. Thanks.

Edit: But how can I change single icons myself? Because some apps like the Marvel one is buried on my screen.

They have to be on your homescreen to be able to do that.
Then you just long press the icon, edit, and then the icon.

Pachimari

They have to be on your homescreen to be able to do that.
Then you just long press the icon, edit, and then the icon.
Oh wow. Android keeps getting better to me today. First the Nova launcher settings, battery app and now this. Thank you.

What resolution and what width and height should my icons be if I'm on a qHD screen?

Had my G3 for about 2 weeks now and it's really an amazing phone. Coming from a Nexus 5 it's a pretty big upgrade in all areas except maybe software, but that's give and take.

My only gripe actually is the way the software flows. It's not sluggish at all, it performs very well. However the animations/transitions are excessively long, at least compared to stock Android. It just makes the phone feel like it's slow sometimes.

Not sure what the root scene is like, but I'm not even sure if I want to root it yet. I miss stock, but I like some of the new features.

Cipherr

Had my G3 for about 2 weeks now and it's really an amazing phone. Coming from a Nexus 5 it's a pretty big upgrade in all areas except maybe software, but that's give and take.

My only gripe actually is the way the software flows. It's not sluggish at all, it performs very well. However the animations/transitions are excessively long, at least compared to stock Android. It just makes the phone feel like it's slow sometimes.

Not sure what the root scene is like, but I'm not even sure if I want to root it yet. I miss stock, but I like some of the new features.

Does LG strip the option to be able to increase system animation speeds? I haven't used non vanilla Android in so long, Im extremely out of touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom