• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearbomb

Neo Member
Ah! Crazy post, thanks for all the info!

Size isn't much of an issue, as I was coming from a note 2 and didn't find it "too big" as some people do.

I mainly play a little bit of games, browse, listen to podcasts and chat with a little bit of picture taking.

The G3 seems to be winning here, as it seems like it trumps the M8 in most categories.
I did hear the battery is kind of crappy though. Thoughts? I do like the fact that it's removable though as well.

I love that case for the m8, coworker has it.

I don't really have anything else to use right now, so waiting for the prime would be a pretty shitty wait.

Atruvius

I've had a really nasty bug ever since I upgraded my Xperia ZR to 4.4.2. It seems that sometimes when I'm using Chrome and I get a call I can't hear a thing, the caller later says that the call gets immediately cut. When I try to call someone after that happens I can't hear anything not even that calling sound. I can call and receive calls after a reboot.

I tried factory reset and I thought that had fixed but it happened again after a week or two. Anyone encountered this bug?

jesalr

Of course. I am not aware of anything that does it. It would be awesome.

Helium can back up to drive.

Yes. I can't believe that Google, one of the most "cloudy" companies in the world, still doesn't provide a way to backup SMS messages, app data, etc. You can do it with 3rd party stuff, but still.

Cool. Only problem is that for non rooted devices, ADB is needed for the data backup. Could probably do it wirelessly.

NotBacon

The only point I get is I should toss a few shillings your way everytime Moto is mentioned :-D

There's a basket by the door. Please consider donating to the PCTX relief fund. Thank you.

Would anybody be interested in a cloud backup system for your phone? Sort of iCloud-esque. In the sense that it backs up app data, media, messages and so on to the cloud in an easy to sync/restore package? Or does Helium already do all of this?

Bitcasa?

https://www.bitcasa.com/

I've never used it so it's probably not what you're looking for :p

MarkusRJR

Ended up randomly getting an email saying got a OnePlus One invite.

Not sure if I should claim it or if I should just save my money for the Moto X+1. What do you guys think?

NotBacon

Not sure if I should claim it or if I should just save my money for the Moto X+1. What do you guys think?

shitidunnoman

OnePlus is great, but it still sounds buggy. 5 months after release they started having battery drain issues. But it's still a beast and high quality.

The Moto X+1 leak is making people second guess, but it could just be a shitty render.

If the invite will expire before Moto release, I'd probably pull the trigger....

XBP

I'd say wait. OPO still hasn't fixed their QC issue of that yellow hue on the bottom of the screen and depending on the device you get it can be very visible.

By the time the X+1 releases you will easily be able to get the OPO anyway (given the number of invites they are giving away these days).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
CM sold out so fast. Those guys can fuck off.

I don't think my OnePlus has a yellow hue. This battery drain shit is annoying though. I can barely power throug ha day without charging while my G3 just keeps chugging along.

belvedere

Junior Butler

I can only speak from personal experience and what I see daily in the forums. As a OPO owner, I currently haven't seen any of the significant issues that others speak about. My device doesn't have the yellow hue and I've yet to have any significant issues. There was a battery drain issue introduced the 30O firmware, but that's since been resolved in a fw rolling out now. There's a couple of people reporting that their issue persists however. There's also a lot of people chiming in with devices produced since mid-August saying the yellow band is completely absent.

Personally, I'd say there's a few risks when considering a OPO, but it ultimately comes down to whether or not the cost to risk ratio is OK with you. You may get a device with an issue, and it sounds like the RMA process takes a bit (in certain situations). It's also hard to say where Oneplus will be in 2 years, though they're committed to honoring the warranty and updates for two years. To me the price and opportunity was too good to pass up and I'm glad I made the decision to purchase the phone. I had been waiting around for the N6 or X+1 when I got my invite, and after reading all of the reviews I bit the bullet. So far anyway, it's met or exceeded every expectation.

Size isn't much of an issue, as I was coming from a note 2 and didn't find it "too big" as some people do.

I mainly play a little bit of games, browse, listen to podcasts and chat with a little bit of picture taking.

The G3 seems to be winning here, as it seems like it trumps the M8 in most categories.
I did hear the battery is kind of crappy though. Thoughts? I do like the fact that it's removable though as well.

I don't really have anything else to use right now, so waiting for the prime would be a pretty shitty wait.

wait

So the 4.4.2 update on the Verizon GS4 has a completely screwed up text sending problem while on 3G. If you're on 3G, it will randomly not send or receive any texting data. The only way to fix it is to put it in airplane mode and then off... fucking retarded...

I hope the new X comes out around $400 to $450. I'd buy one to replace this fucking thing...

Phil S.

Banned
Hi guys. Two questions:

1) If my tablet (a Le Pan mini of some sort) has Bluetooth functionality, does that mean I can use a controller on it that also has Bluetooth functionality?

2) What kind of art programs like MS Paint or Photoshop do you folks recommend?

DarkFlow

Banned
So the 4.4.2 update on the Verizon GS4 has a completely screwed up text sending problem while on 3G. If you're on 3G, it will randomly not send or receive any texting data. The only way to fix it is to put it in airplane mode and then off... fucking retarded...

I hope the new X comes out around $400 to $450. I'd buy one to replace this fucking thing...
4.4.2 touchwiz has so many problems. Sadly I think Samsung is just waiting on L at this point, so it's going to be awhile before a update comes.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Is there any way to get the reload button back onto the search bar in Chrome, because jesus that's the stupidest move they've made yet.

DarkFlow

Banned
It's not about taking money. It's more about changing your vision. Look at how CM screwed over a bunch of people who supported the project. CM took their volunteer work and built a business off of it. Fuck them http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...wild-leaves-team-first-fallout-incorporating/

They've been fucking over people for awhile. It pretty much started when they slightly changed AOSP kernel codes, meaning people that made kernels have to make a CM one, and a AOSP one if they wanted them to work right.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
They've been fucking over people for awhile. It pretty much started when they slightly changed AOSP kernel codes, meaning people that made kernels has to make a CM one, and a AOSP one if they wanted them to work right.

Ah yeah, that's right, too. I recall Franco from Franco Kernel making a complaint about it. CM is the worst.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Lol you're the prepaid champion I assume.

It's not just prepaid. Your actively telling a company you are willing to get fucked with a high priced bill if you do a 2 year. It's like you people are fine with throwing away money.

For the record I'm on ATT currently, but I have no contract.

Volotaire

I partly agree with Vanilla, unless you can't get one of the subsidised or cashback phone contracts (the latter is shady anyway) then try to go contract free if you can get it cheap. Although you can still look for places where the newest phones are significantly cheaper (not quite cheap as Nexus or One Plus One mind you) for mint condition. I'm speaking from UK experience.

DarkFlow

Banned
It's not just prepaid. Your actively telling a company you are willing to get fucked with a high priced bill if you do a 2 year. It's like you people are fine with throwing away money.

For the record I'm on ATT currently, but I have no contract.

Oh I agree with you, I had a Gnex on T-Mobile for awhile till my GF broke it. I'm on contract now, but I only pay like 40 a month for my part of the family plan for unlimited talk and text, and about 3GB of the pool. We never use up the 10GB, hell right now we have 3 days left and 5GB left.

Hylian7

Loving my Nexus 5 so far, as well as the T-Mobile unlimited plan. Definitely think it is worth getting if you are on the market for a new phone.

Volotaire

It sounds like you don't want to wait, even though Faceless Master is right, the Note 4 will be about 3-4 weeks until release, and it would be a good progression form your phone. LG G3 sounds like you'll feel home to it, since it's basically the same size as a Note 2, LG's UI is a basic copy of Touchwiz, as well as the removable battery and SD storage.

Have you used the LG G3 in person at a store? Those rear volume buttons might be slightly annoying.

Fatalah

My coworker was a longtime iPhone user who just switched to the S5. He asked me if the Android UI normally lags. I told him yes, compared to iOS, but Android's gotten much smoother over the last few years.

Then, I remembered reading about Touch wiz's lag issues on the S5. I took a look at his phone, and the lag was cringeworthy.

Hylian7

My coworker was a longtime iPhone user who just switched to the S5. He asked me if the Android UI normally lags. I told him yes, compared to iOS, but Android's gotten much smoother over the last few years.

Then, I remembered reading about Touch wiz's lag issues on the S5. I took a look at his phone, and the lag was cringeworthy.
After switching from an S3 to a N5, the difference is night in day. I could not stand TouchWiz.

NotBacon

Another iPhone->Samsung victim :/

Yeah stock Android is neck and neck with iOS in terms of fluidity and usability, while TouchWiz is a clusterfuck and not representaive of Android at all.

That's more Touch Wiz and not Android though. My HTC One is iOS smooth.

The hardware is just now finally catching up to Touchwiz to where it runs smoothly. Honestly Touchwiz isn't even that bad lag wise if you uninstall the bloatware. I ran custom Touchwiz roms on my S3 and S4 and they were smooth.

Hylian7

The hardware is just now finally catching up to Touchwiz to where it runs smoothly. Honestly Touchwiz isn't even that bad lag wise if you uninstall the bloatware. I ran custom Touchwiz roms on my S3 and S4 and they were smooth.
I still just hate the UI n general, but I guess that is my personal preference.

I still just hate the UI n general, but I guess that is my personal preference.

Yeah I didn't think the UI was that bad when I first started using it, but using a Google Edition rom on my GS4 makes me appreciate stock so much more. I can't go back to Touchwiz now.

Fox318

got a lg g3 finally.

Man this is so much better than my galaxy nexus.

Can't wait till somebody gets the bootloader ready.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

What's Touchwiz for? I recently got an S3 for 50 and am only beginning to tinker and get things working.

Also, is there a way I can delete unnecessary pages off the home screen? I have like 7 and like 5 of them are empty.

Also, any tips for managing things? I made folders for a several types of apps but I just don't want unnecessary clutter.

Also, is it even wise to put custom FW on these? I can't see anything that I can't do right now.

What's Touchwiz for? I recently got an S3 for 50 and am only beginning to tinker and get things working.

Also, is there a way I can delete unnecessary pages off the home screen? I have like 7 and like 5 of them are empty.

Also, any tips for managing things? I made folders for a several types of apps but I just don't want unnecessary clutter.
IIRC if you do a pinch motion on a homescreen, you can manage them.

shitidunnoman

OnePlus is great, but it still sounds buggy. 5 months after release they started having battery drain issues. But it's still a beast and high quality.

The Moto X+1 leak is making people second guess, but it could just be a shitty render.

If the invite will expire before Moto release, I'd probably pull the trigger....

They didn't just start having battery drain issue, the bug was introduced with the Kit-kat update. I haven't noticed the battery to be terrible but it is certainly not as good as before where I could go all day and still have over 50%. They already have a patch just waiting to be approved.

Edit: Just got an update right after I posted. Let hope the battery is back to what it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom