• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
It's crazy how sufficient this phone would be for literally anyone: http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/20/ztes-camera-heavy-mini-flagship-makes-rare-leap-to-the-us/

The standouts here is the 2gb of the ram and the decent camera spec wise, which the budget phones typically lack.

If you don't play intense games the sd400 is good. My back up phone, the optimus f6 is much faster and better than multitasking to the Galaxy Nexus I owned in the past (but obviously slower than the HTC One I owned). I think this phone has a better processor that the f6.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
It's crazy how sufficient this phone would be for literally anyone: http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/20/ztes-camera-heavy-mini-flagship-makes-rare-leap-to-the-us/

The standouts here is the 2gb of the ram and the decent camera spec wise, which the budget phones typically lack.

If you don't play intense games the sd400 is good. My back up phone, the optimus f6 is much faster and better than multitasking to the Galaxy Nexus I owned in the past (but obviously slower than the HTC One I owned). I think this phone has a better processor that the f6.

I agree - that phone is actually worth looking at. It'd be great for a standby device

manfestival

sounds like the panel's backlight is damaged so probably not.

I called around asking for the price on repairs for the phone with a backlight issue and it seems I am just better off buying a moto g or something to that effect. I guess I am in the market for a phone a little after a year from buying the phone. probably will just wipe the phone and sell it for a small amount and use that towards getting a mid tier phone since the 300 range is pretty solid for phones now right?

JoeFu

Banned
I know not a lot of people in here use the official Twitter app ,but did it stop showing notifications for any if you? It's kind of annoying...

So I'm using falcon pro now. Seems alright, not sure if I like it that much though. Oh well its free and notifications are working.

Toki767

I know not a lot of people in here use the official Twitter app ,but did it stop showing notifications for any if you? It's kind of annoying...

So I'm using falcon pro now. Seems alright, not sure if I like it that much though. Oh well its free and notifications are working.

I'm still receiving them. Official Twitter app is the only one that gives push notifications.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nexus 5 and 7 sold out in most models on the play store. All 16 gig models of the N5 are OOS in the US.

YMMV on if Google is clearing stock for Shamu + Volantris

tzare

Gnow multi language is awesome. Primary language english so all features are unlocked, and then spanish and catalan, so I can keep the system language in my mothertongue, catalan, but being able to launch GNow by saying ok google from anywhere, even from touchwiz on my note 8, and ask questions and have voice answers in both spanish and English, depending on the language used.

Now if they could add launching apps and further interaction with them, like being able to text someone using whatsapp or hangouts instead of sms, and being able to toggle on and off some switches like data, wifi, bt, car mode or sound it would be almost perfect

Achtius

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I am having trouble switching language in text to speech.

unnamed_zps36808c77.png

It used to just say "English (Canada)", now it say "Default English (Canada) - 1 Additional". I tried to switch language but it doesn't work. Have this happened to anyone before?

DXPett1

Nexus 5 and 7 sold out in most models on the play store. All 16 gig models of the N5 are OOS in the US.

YMMV on if Google is clearing stock for Shamu + Volantris

Has Google actually even done this though? People time and time again get excited by OOS message but iirc they always have stock of previous models before the new model arrives

Just installed PushBullet and my life will never be the same. Everyone should use this app.

I love PushBullet as well. It would be perfect if I could answer my texts or WhatsApp messages from my PC with it. I hope the Android L/Chrome OS integration they demoed at I/OP finds its way to regular PCs, too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Gnow multi language is awesome. Primary language english so all features are unlocked, and then spanish and catalan, so I can keep the system language in my mothertongue, catalan, but being able to launch GNow by saying ok google from anywhere, even from touchwiz on my note 8, and ask questions and have voice answers in both spanish and English, depending on the language used.

Now if they could add launching apps and further interaction with them, like being able to text someone using whatsapp or hangouts instead of sms, and being able to toggle on and off some switches like data, wifi, bt, car mode or sound it would be almost perfect

how do you enable this, or is it a dev only feature at the moment?

tzare

how do you enable this, or is it a dev only feature at the moment?
I read about it on another forum and just tried on my devices an voilà!

Go to GN setting and choose language, long press on english and if activated will tell you that is now your primary language, then choose up to 4 more languages and you 're set

How comes that WhatsApp supports quick replies from the lock screen and Hangouts doesn't?

Also, does Hangouts work without a Google Account for text only? If so, where can I find a reputable source for the APK? My girlfriend has a Galaxy Ace with Android 2.3 and she refuses to create a Google Account just for it, which means no Play Store access. Can I even sideload APKs on that thing without root?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Wow, didn't know about that. I can finally use proper voice search even though my phone is set to Swedish! It even understands some questions in Swedish now (like asking for a famous person's age), instead of simply giving you a regular search query for what you said. So I guess their knowledge graph (or whatever they call it) is finally expanding a bit to other languages. I get much better results in English though, and voice actions (starting an app, setting a reminder, etc) still only work in English. And the phone won't read the results out loud if I search in Swedish. But yeah, this is nice!

I love PushBullet as well. It would be perfect if I could answer my texts or WhatsApp messages from my PC with it. I hope the Android L/Chrome OS integration they demoed at I/OP finds its way to regular PCs, too.

You can answer texts on your PC via Pushbullet if you also install EvolveSMS. That app has added support for it, and it's my understanding that any developer can do this. But most haven't, obviously.

How comes that WhatsApp supports quick replies from the lock screen and Hangouts doesn't?

Also, does Hangouts work without a Google Account for text only? If so, where can I find a reputable source for the APK? My girlfriend has a Galaxy Ace with Android 2.3 and she refuses to create a Google Account just for it, which means no Play Store access. Can I even sideload APKs on that thing without root?

It can be used as just an SMS app without any Hangouts functionally, so yeah, should work I think. And you should be able to sideload apps on just about any phone by allowing unknown sources in the security settings, don't think many phones lock that down. At least not unlocked phones, don't know about carrier versions.

But why does she absolutely refuse to create an account? It's a pretty useful thing to have, if only to get access to the store. She can just create a fake one and not use it for anything else if she's so against Google or whatever.

kehs

Banned

There's so many better texting apps to use other than hangouts, especially if you're not gonna use google services.

this is the apk from my phone, you can check android police as well, they're always uploading the latest apks.

Though, I'd be surprised if the hangouts apk works without play store being active.

linkboy

There's so many better texting apps to use other than hangouts, especially if you're not gonna use google services.

this is the apk from my phone, you can check android police as well, they're always uploading the latest apks.

Though, I'd be surprised if the hangouts apk works without play store being active.

It won't, once Google Play Services gets updated, it'll break damn near every Google app, since you need a Play Store account to update them (unless you want to sideload all the apks).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It won't, once Google Play Services gets updated, it'll break damn near every Google app, since you need a Play Store account to update them (unless you want to sideload all the apks).

Oh yeah, that's one thing you definitely need. Using an Android phone without a Google account really is less than optimal (even if you can of course do it). For me Google's services and their integration into Android is like half the draw. Sure, Google probably knows quite a bit about me, etc, but what you get in return for letting them use some anonymous data about you to sell targeted ads is so good.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I remember when I first came to Germany and everyone had these Samsung iphones. Turns out they were all Aces ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom