• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, that's one thing you definitely need. Using an Android phone without a Google account really is less than optimal (even if you can of course do it). For me Google's services and their integration into Android is like half the draw. Sure, Google probably knows quite a bit about me, etc, but what you get in return for letting them use some anonymous data about you to sell targeted ads is so good.

An Android phone without a Google account is the Amazon Fire.

Yeah. It's as bad as it sounds.

Toki767

All my Google Survey money is going to waste. I feel like I should be buying more apps, but I just don't know what to spend the money on. I'm up to like $31 in Play Store credit thanks to this app.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
All my Google Survey money is going to waste. I feel like I should be buying more apps, but I just don't know what to spend the money on. I'm up to like $31 in Play Store credit thanks to this app.

For me the survey app never worked, even if my account is from the US but I guess it uses some geo-localization query and because I'm not currently in the US doesn't even load. I wish I had your problem lol.

Keyboards need to be more aware. If I'm typing on neogaf.com it might be appropriate to autocorrect "Dota" but not necessarily when I'm texting my mom.

reKon

Banned

By the Kingdom Rush games becaues they are probably the best. Also maybe Walking Dead games if you haven't played those?

Also, download Sleep as Android because it's the shit. There's a two week free trial and then you have to pay to use sleep tracking. You can purchase the unlock in-app and I think a few days after your trial expires, it applies a discount on the app to unlock.

If you use chrome cast, BubbleUPnP is very nice.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Did you buy Monument Valley yet?

Also you could spend it on movies, music, books, comics ect.... too!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
My retirement gift to you

Bvl9QlKIAAAkRaq.png:large

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, Xperia z1 over z2 if it's cheaper, or are the improvements worth it?

Currently rocking a Xperia Spoiler which is decent but not great.

NotBacon

Eh it's a render, with a giant watermark, with a shitty wallpaper, and some weird glossy reflective thing going on, etc. You get my point.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, but the z2 is quite a bit more than I'm willing to pay.

If I'm going from SP the z1 should be a significant improvement right.

$31? Jesus Christ.

I think I've probably gotten about a fifth of that.

One time the survey app must have glitched out on me, as it kept giving me the same one asking me about university and college, etc. About 10 questions, and a $1 reward each time. It just kept sending me the same survey over and over for almost a week, I must have gotten about $25 just from that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Based front facing dual speakers. They don't look that bad. What is bad is the ugly attempt at being curvy. I hate that rounded look and I'm sad the new iPhone has rounded edges. Maybe it'll look better in person.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm not saying that they're useless, I'm saying they look ugly. Front facing speakers are always a big plus, but there's no design award winning style here.
Nexus 10 is the only device to get front facing speakers right.

jesalr

Would anybody be interested in a cloud backup system for your phone? Sort of iCloud-esque. In the sense that it backs up app data, media, messages and so on to the cloud in an easy to sync/restore package? Or does Helium already do all of this?

Bboy AJ

Would anybody be interested in a cloud backup system for your phone? Sort of iCloud-esque. In the sense that it backs up app data, media, messages and so on to the cloud in an easy to sync/restore package? Or does Helium already do all of this?
Of course. I am not aware of anything that does it. It would be awesome.

8bit

Knows the Score

Helium can back up to drive.

Volotaire

Yo bros.

My phone got stolen and I don't want to wait anymore.

Thinking between a G3 and a HTC one, what say you?

- Do you care about build quality? HTC for the better build.

- How about Screen Res? Will you notice the difference of a 2K screen? LG G3 has you covered.

- Camera quality? LG G£ (but the HTC has the ultimate selfie camera)

- Both have expandable memory, but HTC One only has 16GB base for apps (unless rooting this doesn't matter). LG G3 wins here.

- LG G3 has expandable battery as well. Not on HTC.

- LG G3 has a larger screen and phone dimensions, but the HTC One is actually very close ton the size due to the dual speakers on it and the large bezel?

- Do you care about having relatively good sound speakers on a phone? HTC One wins here.

- UI goes to Sense and HTC if you want a more simple, clean approach. You can take Blinkfeed off now altogether.

What are you looking for in your phone?

EDIT: Also, you may want to wait for the LG G3 Prime. It's a beefier version of the G3 which maybe be released/announced at IFA with a 2.7GHZ 805 Snapdragon processor instead of the 2.5gHz 801 Snapdragon processor in the G3 now.

Disadvantages of HTC One M8 (From experience of M7):

I would say some disdavantages:

- The camera (poor compared with other phones)
- Only 16GB storage for apps (of course there is SD card storage available for personal files)
- The M7 (in my opinion ) looks better than this phone
- Still the very poor ergonomic placement of the power button. That is very frustrating on the M7 , and the M8 is even larger.
- Relatively to 2014 flagships, smaller battery
- You might find the actual phone dimensions large for your hands

Are there any other preferences that you want to set yourself?

- Screen size/dimensions size? A phablet?
- Design?
- SD card or removable battery?
- UI of the stock OS skin?
- Raw power?

At the moment, the flagship phones of this year are the
- S5
- HTC One (M8)
- Xperia Z2
- LG G2
- and the new cheap alternative, the OnePlus One.

Other Android phones that are due an update in one month are the Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy Alpha, Moto X +2, Xperia Z3 or phablet successor, the LG G3 Prime and the HTC One Max 2. These are mostly phablets except the Moto X+2 and maybe the Alpha.

The other choice would be the Nexus 5 , which is getting a refresh November/December time, but that may be a bit way off if you want to wait.

First, decide what you want out the phone, because it's hard to advise on the parameters you gave, since there a number of phones.

Don't forget, if you want to go smaller, you can get the min versions of the HTC One Mini 2, G2 Mini, and S5 Mini, Sony M2 (around 4.5 inches), but these are mid range phones instead of flagships.

HTC One M8

- Premium Design aluminium unibody (nice but imo not as good as the M7)
- SD card slot
- Best UI (simple and not as ugly as TouchWiz) and Blinkfeed (preferential) - if you are not rooting
- Best Selfie camera (if that's the thing for you ) 5MP front
- Poor camera in low light conditions
- Speakers much better thany any other phone (due to deual setup)
- Battery the worst out of flagships (2600mAh)
- More accurate instead of brighter colours

- Samsung Galaxy S5

- Waterproof, dust resistance
- More durable
- 2800mAh battery
- removable sD and battery
- Vibrant good screen, very bright Super AMOLED, 5.1 inch
- Touchwiz (pro or con to you)
- Design worse (preferential)
- S Health features
- physical buttons
- plastic questionable design (preference), better for grip
- Viewing Angles better than G3, very wide
- Multitasking
- Sensors for eye tracking, etc.

LG G3

- 538 ppi QHD IPS Screen (worse for battery but can reduce to Full HD)
- UI questionable, heavy like Touchwiz
- On screen buttons
- Design plastic but masked (metallic)
- Back volume button rocker (preference)
- similar to Samusng, might feel at home coming from S5
- Multitasking
- Sensors for eye tracking, etc.
- 3GB Ram Snapdragon 801 (most powerful)
-Much more like a phablet (5.5 inches)

Xperia Z2

- Premium Design (Glass and Metal) - Harder to grip
- Dust/waterproofing
- 5.2 inch screen, IPS, more natural, not as bright
- UI closest to stock Android, cleanest and most simple
- 3200mAh battery but battery not as good as others

OnePlusOne

- VERY Cheap
- 5.5 inch phablet screen
- great battery (due to being bigger)
- Lack of micro SD card slot
- Cyanogenmod
- 3GB RAM
-

gs5_m8_Z1s_iphone5s.jpg

gs5_m8_Z1s_iphone5s_back.jpg

HTC One M* has a great case too (pixel case)

htc_m8_dotcase.jpg

SimleuqiR

kekeke

CM trying for that edgy anti-big-corp-were-still-small-but-dont-want-to-be marketing.

http://recode.net/2014/08/21/cyanogen-beefs-up-its-executive-ranks-with-hires-from-ea-facebook/

“Everyone in the world wants an open Android,” CEO Kirt McMaster told Re/code. “They want to get outside of Google’s tyranny, if you will.”

Silly. They are replacing one form of "tyranny" (seriously?) for another.

If Android was not "open" your company would not exist, you silly goofs.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Yes. I can't believe that Google, one of the most "cloudy" companies in the world, still doesn't provide a way to backup SMS messages, app data, etc. You can do it with 3rd party stuff, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom