• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFlow

Banned
eh, it's easy but i don't really find it necessary anymore. if the phone works for you then no need to root. I was changing ROMs weekly on my gnex but i still have yet to root my moto x

Yeah, Roms have kind of lost the luster since Android has matured. Back in the Android 2.x days it was almost necessary if you wanted a lot of functions. Now it's more for updating your phone once they stop supporting it, or removing bloatware like on my AT&T phone.

linkboy

Yeah, Roms have kind of lost the luster since Android has matured. Back in the Android 2.x days it was almost necessary if you wanted a lot of functions. Now it's more for updating your phone once they stop supporting it, or removing bloatware like on my AT&T phone.

Roms yes, but rooting still has it's pluses. I have both my Nexus 5 and 7 rooted for apps like Greenify.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The biggest reason to root is to fix the ludicrous default dpi most phones have. The ui is always so unnecessarily large.

terrier

it took a while, but finally sony has announced Xperia M2 aqua, a mid range water resistant smartphone. Unless they price it weirdly it has the chance to succeed since not everyone whats a high end smartphone but being water resistant is a very wanted and attracctive feature. I went to the beach on vacation recently and i had to take my old waterproof Moto Defy instead of my N5 so i could swim and take a few pics. But a more modern phone like M2 aqua would have been great for vacation, 4g, decent battery and specs ...
Hope it succeeds

Quasar

I did read, I still don't understand the point.

Yeah. I don't really understand why they'd have two separate services rather than just one. Even if its for one price.

Of course I still think an audio service for youtube is dumb. Now some kind of music video/concert service, that would make more sense to me. Of course with music videos all given away anyway, I guess that makes that problematic in terms of a service that you pay for.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I used to flash roms but stopped once I got my Nexus 4. Stock was perfectly great by then. I still root, though. It's nice to be able to back up your data iTunes style.

Groof

Sharp appears to make some pretty nice phones. However, their design decision of putting everything at the bottom to eliminate the top bezel is a strange one. I would prefer a balanced out ratio and having to rotate my phone in order to use the front-facing camera is also odd.
I'm guessing it's because the bottom bezel is where you're usually holding the phone and it's more likely to be covered up. So the space you're looking at looks like a floating screen.
I guess.

AkuMifune

Banned
So, any advice for unrooting an xperia play running android 2.3.4? Nothing seems to unroot it, even temp using OTA Rootkeeper. Says error, can't update. But I forget how to do this stuff, it's been a year.

Just need to use my old phone for temp and wouldn't mind going back to stock to see what it's like now. Even permanently would be fine.

EDIT: Oh DoomLord worked. Still can't update it though. Ugh.

it took a while, but finally sony has announced Xperia M2 aqua, a mid range water resistant smartphone. Unless they price it weirdly it has the chance to succeed since not everyone whats a high end smartphone but being water resistant is a very wanted and attracctive feature. I went to the beach on vacation recently and i had to take my old waterproof Moto Defy instead of my N5 so i could swim and take a few pics. But a more modern phone like M2 aqua would have been great for vacation, 4g, decent battery and specs ...
Hope it succeeds
Kyocera makes a ton of water resistant low end to mid-range phones.

NotBacon

So, any advice for unrooting an xperia play running android 2.3.4? Nothing seems to unroot it, even temp using OTA Rootkeeper. Says error, can't update. But I forget how to do this stuff, it's been a year.

Just need to use my old phone for temp and wouldn't mind going back to stock to see what it's like now. Even permanently would be fine.

EDIT: Oh DoomLord worked. Still can't update it though. Ugh.

Dat
gingerbread-man.jpg

eh, it's easy but i don't really find it necessary anymore. if the phone works for you then no need to root. I was changing ROMs weekly on my gnex but i still have yet to root my moto x

Well, different strokes I guess. I’m not satisfied with merely "working". The main reasons to root have always been about wanting greater control over security and privacy concerns, battery optimisation, backups etc. Until there’s a phone that works straight out of the box offering the types of functionality I want like those provided by Xprivacy, Greenify and TB, root will still be necessary as far as I’m concerned.

thespot84

Well, different strokes I guess. I’m not satisfied with merely "working". The main reasons to root have always been about wanting greater control over security and privacy concerns, battery optimisation, backups etc. Until there’s a phone that works straight out of the box offering the types of functionality I want like those provided by Xprivacy, Greenify and TB, root will still be necessary as far as I’m concerned.

I'm not really familiar with xprivacy, what are the benefits?.

in regards to greenify, isn't the point to save battery life? I'm sure my use cases are different then some here, but I don't need 5 hours of screen time a day (i would go crazy looking at my phone that much) and my phone lasts me a whole day on one charge without it. Isn't that the ideal endgame?

As more stuff has moved into the cloud I see the benefit of TB decreasing. Originally it was great with stuff like saved games and texts, but i don't play many games, a lot of them are using google play to sync saves, and moto migrate takes care of the sms backup stuff. Plus, I always had issues migrating data from one rom to another (only in upgrading a specific ROM would I keep data, otherwise I wipe)

I agree there are cases where more control over ROMs and features is nice, but I can't justify recommending rooting to someone with a new flagship out of the box, especially if it's their first android phone. And while you can sometimes avoid it, it still voids your warranty, and some people care about that.

I'm not really familiar with xprivacy, what are the benefits?.

The benefits are obviously greater security and privacy for those of us who absolutely fucking despise Google’s “all or nothing” approach to permissions. Remember app ops in 4.3 which Google quickly removed? This is something in a similar bracket but way better and even more useful than CM’s Privacy Guard by spoofing instead of blocking. Find out more for yourself in XDA. Requires Xposed framework.

Fox318

I have an unlimited plan on Verizon right now and I'm in a family plan.

Can I use an upgrade from another line to get a subsidized price?

Can I upgrade another 4g line on the account and then just swap the new phone with my plan and still keep unlimited data?

AndyD

aka andydumi

Can I upgrade another 4g line on the account and then just swap the new phone with my plan and still keep unlimited data?

You used to be able to do just that. I don't think they changed anything.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

They are literally about to close this loophole on August 24th. If you want to do this better do this shit today or tomorrow.

DarkFlow

Banned

I'm pretty impressed how long some people have held on to these unlimited plans.

Mindwipe

Honestly, if Google wanted to cut out 80% of rooting tomorrow they would do the following:

More customisation on the stock launcher and GEL.
Include the Wiimote and Dual Shock 3/4 in the default controller layouts.
Enable OTG USB mounting.
Enable any app to be uninstalled, regardless of carrier intent.
Give full admin privileges to Titanium backup and ES file Explorer.

Seriously. A lot of people's desire to root would go away. Heck, that would climb to about 98% if they'd do ad-block, but that's not plausible. The others really are, and Goigle have nothing to lose from them.

thespot84

Honestly, if Google wanted to cut out 80% of rooting tomorrow they would do the following:

Enable OTG USB mounting.

Seriously. A lot of people's desire to root would go away. Heck, that would climb to about 98% if they'd do ad-block, but that's not plausible. The others really are, and Goigle have nothing to lose from them.

everything but the last one sounds fine. The security clusterfuck that would come from that means it will never happen. Root privileges exist for a reason.

manfestival

so I washed my phone so months back and got a replacement phone from a friend (gs2 meh). So I decided to see if anything would happen on my htc one. It turns on and functions and all this great stuff now! which is exciting BUT the screen is super dark and its hard to see anything, so then I decided to boot into the hboot and its still dark. I feel like this gonna be something that would cost me some money to repair but I am wondering if there is an easy repair or something that I can do before dropping 70 dollars on some dude to fix it. I miss my htc one so much. The phone is so freaking fast and just my favorite android experience ever.

DarkFlow

Banned

Enable OTG USB mounting.

The Problem is AT&T and Verizon would never allow that shit. They lock there bootloaders ffs and put a E-Fuse on them to void warranty. No way they would let the last 2 fly.

Edit: Also I have a question for anyone on a ATT family plan. When I bought the phone, I never got a proof of purchase, Just a credit card receipt. I need one for Square Trade, If I go back to where I got will they give me one?

NotBacon

The Problem is AT&T and Verizon would never allow that shit. They lock there bootloaders ffs and put a E-Fuse on them to void warranty. No way they would let the last 2 fly.

If Apple can, why can't Google? The last one though probably wouldn't fly though yeah.

Moussi

New to the world of android, after having previously used iOS for 4 years. Kinda overwhelming but I can see this being better. any cool blogs/websites that would benefit a noob like me to android like lists of must have apps etc?

DarkFlow

Banned
If Apple can, why can't Google? The last one though probably wouldn't fly though yeah.

Maybe, but I had to root my Note 3 and put TB on there to wack out all the bloatware AT&T loaded on that thing, So much crap. Verizon and AT&T would never do it unless forced judging by there history of things.

New to the world of android, after having previously used iOS for 4 years. Kinda overwhelming but I can see this being better. any cool blogs/websites that would benefit a noob like me to android like lists of must have apps etc?
What phone did you get? Also you can check this thread out to get a good idea of some Apps. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457282

so I washed my phone so months back and got a replacement phone from a friend (gs2 meh). So I decided to see if anything would happen on my htc one. It turns on and functions and all this great stuff now! which is exciting BUT the screen is super dark and its hard to see anything, so then I decided to boot into the hboot and its still dark. I feel like this gonna be something that would cost me some money to repair but I am wondering if there is an easy repair or something that I can do before dropping 70 dollars on some dude to fix it. I miss my htc one so much. The phone is so freaking fast and just my favorite android experience ever.

sounds like the panel's backlight is damaged so probably not.

NotBacon

This thread, the Apps for Android thread, and Android subreddit.

reKon

Banned
I wonder how badly the iPhone 6 is going to murk every Android phone in benchmarks this year, lol (I really don't give a shit, but I know most of you do)

asdad123

Edit: Also I have a question for anyone on a ATT family plan. When I bought the phone, I never got a proof of purchase, Just a credit card receipt. I need one for Square Trade, If I go back to where I got will they give me one?

The credit card receipt is the proof of purchase (or it should be). I just printed a copy of my order confirmation and that was enough for square trade.

I wonder how badly the iPhone 6 is going to murk every Android phone in benchmarks this year, lol (I really don't give a shit, but I know most of you do)

Considering the iPhone 5S which is nearly a year old has a better single core Geekbench score and and only like a 20% worse multicore score than my OnePlus One, I'd imagine the iPhone 6 will have significantly better numbers than all of the 2014 flagships.

DarkFlow

Banned
The credit card receipt is the proof of purchase (or it should be). I just printed a copy of my order confirmation and that was enough for square trade.

It doesn't say what I paid for, just the amount. I'll just swing by the store and have them print out something for me.

Drifters

Does it matter really? With the 801, 805 and Tegra K1 I doubt Apple will offer anything light years better. Besides, it'll be running iOS anyways.

reKon

Banned
Does it matter really? With the 801, 805 and Tegra K1 I doubt Apple will offer anything light years better. Besides, it'll be running iOS anyways.

Tegra K1 is probably what it's going to be comparable to (or it may not reach that level of performance, graphically that is). That chip pretty much kills the Snapdragon 805. The Nvidia Shield tablet performance is very impressive.

Drifters

Tegra K1 is probably what it's going to be comparable to (or it may not reach that level of performance, graphically that is). That chip pretty much kills the Snapdragon 805. The Nvidia Shield tablet performance is very impressive.
It's why I'm interested to see if this HTC Nexus is going to use it. I have to think with the incoming convergence of Android and Chrome OS, Tegra has the leg up on the competition.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Considering the 5S CPU is already better than the 801 phones, but just loses out on the GPU side cause the weird half side step GPU wise with the 64 bit switch I fully expect the 6 to kill everything including the 805 stuff.

While I think we are reaching a point where extra performance gains for general usage is overkill I do think Qualcomm sort of dropped the ball in pushing things this year. Seems like it was a slow year while they try and ready the jump to 64 bit.

801 is essentially an overclocked 800 on the smaller process, 28nm, to help battery life. Thankfully 810 seems Legit next gen unlike this year.

I actually don't really play games on my phone, but I'm guessing Tiny Kepler in the Tegra K1 will wreck the shit of any other mobile GPU that it faces considering it's a cut down Nvidia desktop GPU. Is the iP6 even going to use the new PowerVR SGX 600 series, or recycle the 500 series again for the 4th year running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom