• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFlow

Banned
Ugh I kinda miss having a Nexus now. Didn't know Samsung had stupid flags that void warranty if you root the note 3. I don't really need root, but it's nice to upgrade android since Samsung is fucking slow at it. Guess I'll just live with it till the warranty runs out.

linkboy

Ugh I kinda miss having a Nexus now. Didn't know Samsung had stupid flags that void warranty if you root the note 3. I don't really need root, but it's nice to upgrade android since Samsung is fucking slow at it. Guess I'll just live with it till the warranty runs out.

Shit like this is why I won't own a Samsung phone or tablet.

DarkFlow

Banned
Shit like this is why I won't own a Samsung phone or tablet.
I love the note, but the tinker in me is kinda bummed. I guess there's a way to root without tripping the thing called Knox that voids but I don't want to risk it a day after I got it lol. I just hope they upgrade to Android L at some point, the note is still on 4.4.2 ffs.

Plus if I get really fed up, I still have 2 weeks to get something else.

Hello all, I'll be getting a company phone and have any choice as far as phones go. I've narrowed my search down to the HTC One M8, Samsung GS5, and the LG G3.

I'm leaning towards the LG G3 right now because that's what Jon Rettinger suggested in one of his videos.

Do you guys have any more insight in the comparison of these three phones?

P.S. I could also choose an iPhone. :p

P.P.S. I doubt I'll be able to get my hands on a OnePlus One because it's going to have to be company bought and whatnot.

reKon

Banned
Hello all, I'll be getting a company phone and have any choice as far as phones go. I've narrowed my search down to the HTC One M8, Samsung GS5, and the LG G3.

I'm leaning towards the LG G3 right now because that's what Jon Rettinger suggested in one of his videos.

Do you guys have any more insight in the comparison of these three phones?

P.S. I could also choose an iPhone. :p

P.P.S. I doubt I'll be able to get my hands on a OnePlus One because it's going to have to be company bought and whatnot.

Can you wait one month? Or are you trying to buy soon.

reKon

Banned
I'm actually not sure when they're going to purchase the phone, but let's go with no.

If the answer was yes though, how would your answer differ?

There's going to a few more flagships being announced all in September (iPhone 6, Xperia Z3 and Xperia Z3 Compact, Moto X+1). These phones may offer something that you may interest you more than the current phones that are out, especially if you do want a smaller phone. There's also the Nexus 6 which will be announced later this year.

DarkFlow

Banned
I kinda of feel like the flagship phones are hitting diminishing returns at this point. Other then some fancy gimmick I won't care about a month after I buy it. Mostly why I didn't wait for the Note 4 and got a 3. It's not going to be significantly faster or better from the looks of it other then the screen.

Anyway I would go with the G3.

I believe if they are coming out with new iterations so fast that I think they should think about how they price these things. Like, if a new one comes out ever 6 months, don't make the phone $600 or $700 new. Make it like $400 or $500 new and I can guarantee you more people will buy phones outright.

NotBacon

I'm actually not sure when they're going to purchase the phone, but let's go with no.

If the answer was yes though, how would your answer differ?

Don't get the G3. It's not future-proof. They got a little ahead of themselves when they put all of those pixels on a phone with a processor that can barely handle it.

Do yourself a favor and don't get a TouchWiz(Samsung) phone.

HTC M8 is praised by many and would be my choice in your situation, but if you can wait 2 weeks, Moto X+1 is coming out and the leaks are making it look pretty sweet.

this_guy

Don't get the G3. It's not future-proof. They got a little ahead of themselves when they put all of those pixels on a phone with a processor that can barely handle it.

HTC M8 is praised by many and would be my choice in your situation, but if you can wait 2 weeks, Moto X+1 is coming out and the leaks are making it look pretty sweet.

LG G3 is a great phone with good battery life and a great camera. It's as future proof as any other flagship phone. What's your obsession with the Moto X?

Your recommendation of the HTC M8 kind of makes sense based on your Moto X love as both have the worst cameras of any flagship phones.

DarkFlow

Banned

It has a snapdragon 801 (better then the 800 the x+1 has btw) , it can handle the screen just fine. Also TouchWiz is fine, and since you just slap the Google now launcher on top of it now, not even a issue.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It has a snapdragon 801 (better then the 800 the x+1 has btw) , it can handle the screen just fine. Also TouchWiz is fine, and since you just slap the Google now launcher on top of it now, not even a issue.

Changing the launcher doesn't change the settings. The Moto X+1 is rumroed to have a 801 processor like everyone else. The LG G3 sucks screen wise. Colors are bad, brightness is bad, and the phone gets hot. Other than that though...

DarkFlow

Banned
Changing the launcher doesn't change the settings. The Moto X+1 is rumroed to have a 801 processor like everyone else. The LG G3 sucks screen wise. Colors are bad, brightness is bad, and the phone gets hot. Other than that though...
I have a note 3, using Google now makes TouchWiz easy to use, I don't even notice it now but w/e. As for the g3, what the hell, the screen is bad now? We are talking about the LG G3 right?

XBP

The X+1 has a 801 processor according to the latest set of leaks.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I have a note 3, using Google now makes TouchWiz easy to use, I don't even notice it now but w/e. As for the g3, what the hell, the screen is bad now? We are talking about the LG G3 right?

The screen was never good. It takes more than pixels count to create a great screen. To quote the Anandtech review again...

Unfortunately, if there is any real flaw in the LG G3, it is the display. The goal of attaining a ~540 PPI has come at immense cost. Relative to the competition, the LG G3 definitely sees a noticeable reduction in battery life, although it’s still firmly above what we’ve seen from 2013 (Snapdragon 600) flagships. Outside of the power trade-off, the display doesn’t get particularly bright for daytime viewing. There are also issues with the saturation compression that causes obviously oversaturated colors in almost every situation. LG has also added significant artificial sharpening to the display image, which causes noticeable artifacting in some situations.

DarkFlow

Banned
The screen was never good. It takes more than pixels count to create a great screen. To quote the Anandtech review again...

So one review = shit now?

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/05/lg-g3-review/
So, how does it look? The short answer is: pretty great. The long answer, though, is more nuanced. High-resolution videos and images look pin-sharp and beautifully recreated -- especially, and unsurprisingly, the pre-loaded (and optimized) content included in the Gallery app. Colors look vivid but not oversaturated; blacks are dark; and viewing angles are decent (though not quite as good as we'd expect from an IPS panel).

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/4/5778556/lg-g3-review
Color accuracy, contrast, and viewing angles are all very good. The black background behind the G3’s on-screen Android keys is dark enough to seem to melt away into the phone’s black frame. Additionally, unlike Sony’s Xperia Z2, which struggles outdoors, the G3’s IPS display is bright enough to remain useful on a sunny day.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/reviews/lg-g3-review-the-superphone-weve-been-waiting-for/
In terms of how the screen looks, you can expect terrific color accuracy, and viewing angles are also excellent. Outside, performance is also quite good, allowing you to actually see what’s on the screen when in bright sunlight. So while the actual display won’t blow your mind—the jump from 1080p isn’t all that noticeable—it does look great, especially spread over a 5.5-inch canvas. You won’t be disappointed, that’s for sure.

The jest of most of them is QHD is nice, but not really mind blowing, but it still looks great.

To be an old man... What is the point of a 2k screen on a smart phone?

Honestly, it's hard to tell the difference between 1080p and 1440p on a 5.5" screen. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns, but hey it gives you a point of contention in the race to see which flagship is the best!

Drifters

Honestly, it's hard to tell the difference between 1080p and 1440p on a 5.5" screen. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns, but hey it gives you a point of contention in the race to see which flagship is the best!
Well to play devils advocate I've seen the G3 screen and it is impressive... However the active notifications to me are far more useful to me on the moto x than a higher PPI count.

LG G3 is a great phone with good battery life and a great camera. It's as future proof as any other flagship phone. What's your obsession with the Moto X?

Your recommendation of the HTC M8 kind of makes sense based on your Moto X love as both have the worst cameras of any flagship phones.

Why do people still not understand the love the moto. X... The moto line is killing it between performance, updates and ease of use. There is no way the lg g3 will be as snappy or get updates as quick as the new moto x.

A phone isn't future proof if its not getting os updates in a timely fashion.

Drifters

Why do people still not understand the love the moto. X... The moto line is killing it between performance, updates and ease of use. There is no way the lg g3 will be as snappy or get updates as quick as the new moto x.

A phone isn't future proof if its not getting os updates in a timely fashion.
I blame pctx for what happened.

XBP

The G3's screen is over saturated and sharpened to give it a more 'popping effect'. Anand's review is very similar to Eric'a impressions where she used actual measurements to judge the screen and wasn't very impressed with it. At the end of the day a QHD display has not helped the G3 in any significant way. The G3 could have been a much better phone if LG had just gone with a 1080p display.

DarkFlow

Banned
The G3's screen is over saturated and sharpened to give it a more 'popping effect'. Anand's review is very similar to Eric'a impressions where she used actual measurements to judge the screen and wasn't very impressed with it. At the end of the day a QHD display has not helped the G3 in any significant way. The G3 could have been a much better phone if LG had just gone with a 1080p display.

So again, you're just going to disregard the other reviews? I've seen far more reviews saying it looks good then not.

i believe that device is called the LG G2.

So again, you're just going to disregard the other reviews? I've seen far more reviews saying it looks good then not.

'it's not color accurate" is based on science.

"it looks good" is based on eyeballing it.

some people prefer the former, some the latter.

look at Samsung, they try to cater to everyone with their multiple color profiles.

DarkFlow

Banned

look at Samsung, they try to cater to everyone with their multiple color profiles.

That's true, I tend to lean on what my eye likes since you know, I have to look at with them, rather then what some numbers tell me I should think.

XBP

I haven't no. But i trust Erica and anand's 'scientific'/technical approach to reviews a lot more than subjective ones. I guess i'm a little biased that way.

Not really. The G3 is a much better device than the G2 and the design choices aren't the only thing which make it better.

Toki767

Android Central actually reviewed the Korean G3 with the Snapdragon 805. According to them, battery life remained more or less the same. Performance was smoother though.

Groof

The one big downside of the G3 display for me is the strange sharpening effect they've added on top of everything for whatever stupid reason. I mean at 1440p it's supposed to be sharp enough, why artificially sharpen it more? It results in a very weird look and halo artifacting around texts and corners that make it look worse than what it should.
As for colour accuracy, that's hard to tell by eyeballing it, but on that end I refer to scientific tests and those can be hard to argue with.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I kinda of feel like the flagship phones are hitting diminishing returns at this point. Other then some fancy gimmick I won't care about a month after I buy it. Mostly why I didn't wait for the Note 4 and got a 3. It's not going to be significantly faster or better from the looks of it other then the screen.

Anyway I would go with the G3.
The note 4 is a huge leap over the 3, if rumors are true. That jump isn't minuscule. It's a bigger jump than note 2 to 3.

ILoveBish

The note 4 is a huge leap over the 3, if rumors are true. That jump isn't minuscule. It's a bigger jump than note 2 to 3.

I don't see the note 4 as a big enough of a jump from the note 2 im still rocking. My note 2 does everything just fine still. I really wish the note 4 had a 64-bit cpu to future proof it a bit, but what can you do. Will be waiting for next years flagships i guess.

XBP

I don't see the note 4 as a big enough of a jump from the note 2 im still rocking. My note 2 does everything just fine still. I really wish the note 4 had a 64-bit cpu to future proof it a bit, but what can you do. Will be waiting for next years flagships i guess.

64bit processors are supposed to start shipping next year so dont expect that in any smartphone just yet. The best we can get right now is the S805 which isn't a major improvement over the S801.

Quasar

Yeah. Its surprising how quickly phones have matured to the point of PClike meh-ness.

Not sure what I'm wanting but faster, thinner, bigger is boring as fuck. Maybe I'd be impressed with a 20hr+ battery life flagship.

DarkFlow

Banned

Meh, I've seen them, it's really not. A snapdragon 805 vs a 801 is not a huge leap It's like a 15% bump.

Qualcomm's Mark Shedd says the main difference will be noticeable when users “transition between activities and starting new processes. We’re seeing upgrades (to performance) of 15 per cent from the 800 to the 805”.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/snapdragon-805-vs-801-vs-800#O3OOpkDyFSb6lY76.99

Idk, it's not really all that impressive really.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6434&idPhone2=5665

Groof

I still have a hard time understanding what tangible differences a 64-bit processor is going to bring to the mobile space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom