• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh brother. Pouty? Calling me out?

ALL of the news sites received the tablet late last week and are starting to give opinions and impressions on it. That's what I'm reading and why I suggested it. Look at my past post history and you will see i consistently bash the nexus 5. Yep you sure called me out for just assuming it will be good BC the brand and CPU.

You are almost as bad as vanillaidiot. I need a vacation from this user base. Have a good weekend.
lol the dumb bickering you guys do is getting annoying. can we not?

reKon

Banned

ALL of the news sites received the tablet late last week and are starting to give opinions and impressions on it. That's what I'm reading and why I suggested it. Look at my past post history and you will see i consistently bash the nexus 5. Yep you sure called me out for just assuming it will be good BC the brand and CPU.

You are almost as bad as vanillaidiot. I need a vacation from this user base. Have a good weekend.

I see what you're trying to say here, but why are you having a meltdown about this?

this_guy

Why are you so emotional?

Maiar_m

One week of usage by a handful isn't what I was asking for. If that's what you got from my original post, then that may be the issue.

I've looked at your past post history. I found posts such as :

And you thought I got too serious. Your big brother forgot to change his tampon today.

You must be single.

So I must admit I don't have you up there in my list of top posters. But it's really your complete advocacy of "the pure android experience" as the only go-to that makes you, in my opinion, as good as any other fanboy poster there is. If you must know, the tablet I'm looking for isn't for me. It's for one of those thousands of users who don't give a flying fuck about software updates (and would rather not have them because "they changed everything :( ") and are perfectly fine with say, Samsung's coating of the OS.

If you want me to be more civil, and you're probably right to ask for that, then here it is. Your advice goes to the N9 because you read a handful of reviewer give premature impressions on a device. Regardless of your comments being based on brand and hardware, I don't think it stems from a sufficiently informed opinion to help me steer my way through the products. The N9 might prove to be a compelling tablet, but it's still too soon to say so (as I think it was too soon to say about the N7) and for some of us, a 50$ difference is already more than enough not to consider a device.

Looking for some help moving to a new phone. What is a good way to move selected apps (and related data) from a phone on 4.1.2 to a phone on 5.0?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

The biggest bullshit is I actually own the fucking Moto X 2014, but I'm the idiot because I'm staying facts vs quoting some half assed Verge review.

The bullshit is the fact that you haven't posted in any other thread on GAF, but this one. Yet the only thing you post in here is Moto bullshit which is literally astroturfing at it's finest.

It's like the guy that fucking owns the gosh damn phone is a retard for not spooging over everything about my own fucking device.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The biggest bullshit is I actually own the fucking Moto X 2014, but I'm the idiot because I'm staying facts vs quoting some half assed Verge review.

The bullshit is the fact that you haven't posted in any other thread on GAF, but this one. Yet the only thing you post in here is Moto bullshit which is literally astroturfing at it's finest.

It's like the guy that fucking owns the gosh damn phone is a retard for not spooging over everything about my own fucking device.
Real talk with Vanilla Maher.

Sch1sm

One week of usage by a handful isn't what I was asking for. If that's what you got from my original post, then that may be the issue.

But it's really your complete advocacy of "the pure android experience" as the only go-to that makes you, in my opinion, as good as any other fanboy poster there is. If you must know, the tablet I'm looking for isn't for me. It's for one of those thousands of users who don't give a flying fuck about software updates (and would rather not have them because "they changed everything :( ") and are perfectly fine with say, Samsung's coating of the OS.

If you want me to be more civil, and you're probably right to ask for that, then here it is. Your advice goes to the N9 because you read a handful of reviewer give premature impressions on a device. Regardless of your comments being based on brand and hardware, I don't think it stems from a sufficiently informed opinion to help me steer my way through the products. The N9 might prove to be a compelling tablet, but it's still too soon to say so (as I think it was too soon to say about the N7) and for some of us, a 50$ difference is already more than enough not to consider a device.

The person you're buying for, do you know what they'll mostly be using the tablet for? Usage makes a difference in this, since, well, battery life, different interfaces
like Amazon's kindle fire is so limited but it's in the range
. Are they the kind of person who may eventually need a microSD slot? Already saw you specified it should be 8" +, but any other info would be nice. These are some, I guess, that have been released within the past 18 months or so, that fit the range up to $350. I'm sure you can find them cheaper from other retailers, but eh:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (8", 1.5GB RAM, 16 GB Storage, microSD, 4.4 Kit Kat)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (8", 1.5GB RAM, 16 GB Storage, microSD, 4.4 Jelly Bean)
LG G Pad (8.3", 2GB RAM, 16 GB Storage, microSD, 4.4 KitKat) -- isn't sold on Google Play anymore, gg, no idea why. Newegg and Amazon have it.
ASUS MeMO Pad 8 (8", 1GB RAM, 16 GB Storage, microSD 4.4 Kit Kat)

The Tab 3, LG G Pad, and ASUS MeMO Pad start off on Jelly Bean and can be upgraded to KitKat, pretty sure. There's just so many tabs out there it's difficult to recommend. Left out some fairly decent Windows ones, like the Lenovo IdeaTab Miix 2 or Acer Iconia W4, which also fit in your price range.

I never noticed that. Not to read too much into it, but the second post that shows up in his history is a recommendation for the Moto G. It's quite funny.

Maiar_m

The person you're buying for, do you know what they'll mostly be using the tablet for? Usage makes a difference in this, since, well, battery life, different interfaces
like Amazon's kindle fire is so limited but it's in the range
. Are they the kind of person who may eventually need a microSD slot? Already saw you specified it should be 8" +, but any other info would be nice. These are some, I guess, that have been released within the past 18 months or so, that fit the range up to $350. I'm sure you can find them cheaper from other retailers, but eh:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (8", 1.5GB RAM, 16 GB Storage, microSD, 4.4 Kit Kat)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (8", 1.5GB RAM, 16 GB Storage, microSD, 4.4 Jelly Bean)
LG G Pad (8.3", 2GB RAM, 16 GB Storage, microSD, 4.4 KitKat) -- isn't sold on Google Play anymore, gg, no idea why. Newegg and Amazon have it.
ASUS MeMO Pad 8 (8", 1GB RAM, 16 GB Storage, microSD 4.4 Kit Kat)

The Tab 3, LG G Pad, and ASUS MeMO Pad start off on Jelly Bean and can be upgraded to KitKat, pretty sure. There's just so many tabs out there it's difficult to recommend. Left out some fairly decent Windows ones, like the Lenovo IdeaTab Miix 2 or Acer Iconia W4, which also fit in your price range.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

They use the tablet mostly for web browsing, Spotify and email. They have an oldish Samsung tab (and they need to charge it every single day) and a Moto G. They do want android. They have little use for a sd card slot (no pictures, no music collection, just installed apps and they're not really into heavy games). I think they're the perfect example of what an average user is, in fact :p

I'll read up on the tabs you suggested. It's truly an ocean of slabs out there, I can somewhat glimpse at the reasoning behind The Verge's famous "whatever" : there are just too many Android tablets.

Toki767

I never noticed that. Not to read too much into it, but the second post that shows up in his history is a recommendation for the Moto G. It's quite funny.

I noticed it a while back. Even called him out on it lol. That's really why I can't take what he says seriously anymore.

#truthfacts are being said right now.

Is the Note 4 supposed to have so many issues running 3D games and what not? Almost every Gameloft game I've tried runs funny. Even Gangstar 4 started to lag a ton. :/

Also, if any of you have recommendations of games to try, I would appreciate it!

Is the Note 4 supposed to have so many issues running 3D games and what not? Almost every Gameloft game I've tried runs funny. Even Gangstar 4 started to lag a ton. :/

Also, if any of you have recommendations of games to try, I would appreciate it!

I think this is just Gameloft shitty programming trying to make you give them money so you can restart after dying. This happens in Minion Rush to me. I gave those crooks money damnit.

I only have one comment about the whole pure android thing above. I think it's completely unfair to say the tablet is for one of those casual customers who don't give a shit about the skin of the OS. Uhhh yes they do care, they just don't know WHY. There's a difference. Once again as someone who works tech support for a giant telecom company I can't even begin to explain how many calls I get from people for problems that amount to "lol touchwiz". Just because a casual user doesn't understand what a skinned OS is and what pure android is and what the differences are, doesn't mean they aren't affected by it daily. I gave someone my old nexus 5 who went from an S3 and they don't know shit about phones and the amount of problems they've had has reduced ten fold. The more bloated the more complex an operating system is, the more shit can go wrong. And that's excluding obvious performance issues like lag and whatnot. Getting a casual user a samsung device is a mistake IMO. There's a reason that shit is dipping like crazy that's because people who get em once don't make that mistake again. And I'm not even hating on touch wiz in this post, it is what it is, but it's better for people who are more familiar with android and the complexity of touchwiz.

If the user really is someone who literally won't do a single thing other than browse the web and other extremely simple things, then just get em whatever shitty crap is on sale and give it to them. But you get what you pay for. Most android tablets are absolute garbage anyway.

And I say this with no bias, no phone from any manufacturer outpaces software issues from samsung phones from what I've noticed. Not even if you combine every single manufacturer.

Just sayin.

Vanillalite

Don't play Gameloft games.

Look for better game recommendations.

Pein

Banned
so where's a site I can find some cool wallpaper for my note 4?

Specifically comics and video game type wallpaper.

this_guy

I only have one comment about the whole pure android thing above. I think it's completely unfair to say the tablet is for one of those casual customers who don't give a shit about the skin of the OS. Uhhh yes they do care, they just don't know WHY. There's a difference. Once again as someone who works tech support for a giant telecom company I can't even begin to explain how many calls I get from people for problems that amount to "lol touchwiz". Just because a casual user doesn't understand what a skinned OS is and what pure android is and what the differences are, doesn't mean they aren't affected by it daily. I gave someone my old nexus 5 who went from an S3 and they don't know shit about phones and the amount of problems they've had has reduced ten fold. The more bloated the more complex an operating system is, the more shit can go wrong. And that's excluding obvious performance issues like lag and whatnot. Getting a casual user a samsung device is a mistake IMO. There's a reason that shit is dipping like crazy that's because people who get em once don't make that mistake again. And I'm not even hating on touch wiz in this post, it is what it is, but it's better for people who are more familiar with android and the complexity of touchwiz.

If the user really is someone who literally won't do a single thing other than browse the web and other extremely simple things, then just get em whatever shitty crap is on sale and give it to them. But you get what you pay for. Most android tablets are absolute garbage anyway.

And I say this with no bias, no phone from any manufacturer outpaces software issues from samsung phones from what I've noticed. Not even if you combine every single manufacturer.

Just sayin.

You're going from an S3 to a Nexus 5 - of course it's going to be an improvement. Don't you think a casual user would notice an improvement if he went from a Galaxy Nexus to a Galaxy s5? The Nexus 7 2012 is also a pure Android device that came out the same year as the Galaxy s3 but it's known to become a laggy pos over time. Are we supposed to extrapolate that and say all Nexus/pure Android devices have issues and bog down?

I don't care for touchwiz but I do think pure Android is overrated.

Groof

You're going from an S3 to a Nexus 5 - of course it's going to be an improvement. Don't you think a casual user would notice an improvement if he went from a Galaxy Nexus to a Galaxy s5? The Nexus 7 2012 is also a pure Android device that came out the same year as the Galaxy s3 but it's known to become a laggy pos over time. Are we supposed to extrapolate that and say all Nexus/pure Android devices have issues and bog down?

He did say excluding performance issues like lag etc.

I think this is just Gameloft shitty programming trying to make you give them money so you can restart after dying. This happens in Minion Rush to me. I gave those crooks money damnit.
I did for Dungeon Hunter. I want my money back. :(
Don't play Gameloft games.
Look for better game recommendations.
...which is why I asked at the bottom of the post for better game recommendations. lol

Still, I agree with you guys. I bought them for 10 cents and what not, so it didn't cost me too much.

Sch1sm

Thanks a lot for the reply.

They use the tablet mostly for web browsing, Spotify and email. They have an oldish Samsung tab (and they need to charge it every single day) and a Moto G. They do want android. They have little use for a sd card slot (no pictures, no music collection, just installed apps and they're not really into heavy games). I think they're the perfect example of what an average user is, in fact :p

I'll read up on the tabs you suggested. It's truly an ocean of slabs out there, I can somewhat glimpse at the reasoning behind The Verge's famous "whatever" : there are just too many Android tablets.

If battery life is a big one, look for Lenovo tablets powered by Android since there's no brand loyalty for 'em. They seem to have great life across all devices, probably will be a step up from the older tab. Lenovo Tablet 2 Yoga 8 has astounding battery life. It's around $240 USD + tax. My mom has the older version, the Original Yoga 8", still yet to complain about it.

mturco

...which is why I asked at the bottom of the post for better game recommendations. lol
Still, I agree with you guys. I bought them for 10 cents and what not, so it didn't cost me too much.

Two new games that just came out that I've been playing are:

- Sentinel 4 (great tower defense)
- Battleheart Legacy (super polished RPG)

Both are great. Other obvious picks:

- Kingdom Rush and Kingdom Rush Frontiers (unique and excellent tower defense)
- Monument Valley (short but fantastic puzzle game)

Like I said though, I'm excluding actual performance. Just speaking in terms of usability and general problems a person runs into. And that was anecdotal anyway. Doesn't take away from anything else.

All I'm saying is just because someone is a casual doesn't mean they aren't affected by issues they don't understand. They are. Touch Wiz is bloaty as fuck and complicated as fuck in terms of things it can do and whatnot and the more complex an OS is the more things can go wrong. And I'm not basing this off of talking to one or two people. I've spoken to literally thousands of people on the phone with various issues from every single manufacturer. It seems to be the trend. I wouldn't scoff off a more simplistic experience like stock. Yes it will cost you more but once again, you get what you pay for in some ways.

Maiar_m

I'm saying that because they've got a Moto G and a Samsung tablet and are happy with both (well, "were" happy when it comes to the tablet). The basics of what you're saying are true, it's just that I know that person well and they really do not care. Simply put. What they are after is a good enough battery life, no lag and a comfortable display. If that's not available on non-skinned OS, well that's sad but I can hear that.

Just sayin.
That is however unfair. Simple uses don't mean you should get a "disposable" tablet. Even the most basic user should be afforded some mesure of comfort and durability in the stuff they purchase.

I was wary of Samsung as well, so thanks for confirming that bias though.

I'm saying that because they've got a Moto G and a Samsung tablet and are happy with both (well, "were" happy when it comes to the tablet). The basics of what you're saying are true, it's just that I know that person well and they really do not care. Simply put. What they are after is a good enough battery life, no lag and a comfortable display. If that's not available on non-skinned OS, well that's sad but I can hear that.

That is however unfair. Simple uses don't mean you should get a "disposable" tablet. Even the most basic user should be afforded some mesure of comfort and durability in the stuff they purchase.

I was wary of Samsung as well, so thanks for confirming that bias though.
See that's the thing though, regarding what you said about battery life and whatnot. Touch Wiz has lots of potential for software issues which causes things like random battery drain issues and other general problems. You're more likely to run into these things with a bloated complicated OS that offers a shitton of things 90% of which most people who own them have no idea what they are and when they go tapping around end up messing everything up.

I was being extra harsh, obviously I wouldn't get one of those random ass chinese tablets but I'd get tons of tablets before I got a samsung one. Even the cheaper ones like the affordable asus ones and obviously the nexus 7. At the same time I get why you wouldn't waste dough on a nexus 9 when the person won't even appreciate it fully.

Anyway, this is just the opinion of one man who speaks to a zillion people a day about their bullshit problems and samsung literally makes my job worse. I'm just bitter lol.

Maiar_m

Nah, don't worry man, it's fine and your opinion seems informed to me, and appreciated anyways. I'll see what I can do, I've had other alternatives in this thread.

Nah, don't worry man, it's fine and your opinion seems informed to me, and appreciated anyways. I'll see what I can do, I've had other alternatives in this thread.
I think Nvidia's Shield tablet is a really good choice. Starts at $299, has an 8" display, stereo speakers, and comes with a stylus.

Vanillalite

I got 25 games for you YMMV if you've played

Walking Dead
Wolf Among Us
Terra Battle
Osmos
World of Goo
Puzzles & Dragons
The World Ends With You
Entwined
Sword & Scorery
Monument Valley
Colin McRae Rally
Skulls of Shogun
Don't Touch the Spike
Magic the Gathering
Pure Chess
Wind Up Knight 2
Rayman Fiesta Run
Rayman Jungle Run
Brave Frontier
Shardlands
Ripetide 2
Plants vs Zombies
M&M Clash of Heroes
Cytus

Drifters

Just sayin.

I won't disagree with you on really any of your points however, stock vs. skinned to me goes way deeper than just performance issues. Companies such as Samsung (and I'm picking on them since it's fun to poke the TW apologists in this tread) genuinely think they are creating or crafting a better consumer product for the consumer. However, a "skin" within an AOSP based ROM is much more than a launcher as all of us "techno" nerds know. That said, up until Android 5, skins, carriers, shitty hardware and the nice false fronts have been somewhat of an issue. Enter the Nexus 9. (and to some extent, the Nexus 6... but less so in my point.)

Android's main appeal (en mass) has been the cheap entry point for tablets, 2-in-1's, smartphones etc. You take a look at the current landscape such as Android One in developing markets, Moto E and G series in the US and Euro territories and now enter the new Nexi releasing here this week and it speaks to a market segment that Apple has really shored up since the inception of the iPhone. However back to your point, consumers are about to swallow a different kind of Android this week; One that is not blemished by shitty skins or carrier (some factors) bloat. In reality, we've somewhat turned a corner in which the consumer will come to understand "Android" as something that from device to device should (in theory) be the same throughout a users eco-system of devices.

All of that said, I feel like that is Google's Billion dollar gamble this go round. While from a fanboy's perspective it is awesome that we get HTC returning to "pure Android" with the N9, Will HTC insist with the HTC One M9 that their skin needs to exist? Will Samsung and other OEM's follow suit? Who knows, but it seems that the material design language from Google that is now persistent in Wear and now Lollipop is going to but external pressure from the customers to the vendors to have a consistent user experience which I think will solve (somewhat) the shittiness of carrier bloat, shitty skins that do little to help user experience and hardware that will actually feel more premium in the process.

The worst is I paid $5 for this damn powerup to double the bananas I collect so I could get more powerups to do better, only to find out I got fucked because after leveling up a couple of times the power ups started to cost fucking tokens instead of bananas.

Groof

Good. Now I hope reviewers use the device for more than 2 days and put out a review. This gives them time to really feel out the device.

Yep, good they got them out "early," so to speak. But if the alleged release is around the 20th it seems a bit early no?

More like 2016. Kitkat isn't even at 25%.
T5VkiVL.png

the only thing google was working on was getting a good majority on 4.0 or higher instead of getting them to 4.4

I won't disagree with you on really any of your points however, stock vs. skinned to me goes way deeper than just performance issues. Companies such as Samsung (and I'm picking on them since it's fun to poke the TW apologists in this tread) genuinely think they are creating or crafting a better consumer product for the consumer. However, a "skin" within an AOSP based ROM is much more than a launcher as all of us "techno" nerds know. That said, up until Android 5, skins, carriers, shitty hardware and the nice false fronts have been somewhat of an issue. Enter the Nexus 9. (and to some extent, the Nexus 6... but less so in my point.)

Android's main appeal (en mass) has been the cheap entry point for tablets, 2-in-1's, smartphones etc. You take a look at the current landscape such as Android One in developing markets, Moto E and G series in the US and Euro territories and now enter the new Nexi releasing here this week and it speaks to a market segment that Apple has really shored up since the inception of the iPhone. However back to your point, consumers are about to swallow a different kind of Android this week; One that is not blemished by shitty skins or carrier (some factors) bloat. In reality, we've somewhat turned a corner in which the consumer will come to understand "Android" as something that from device to device should (in theory) be the same throughout a users eco-system of devices.

All of that said, I feel like that is Google's Billion dollar gamble this go round. While from a fanboy's perspective it is awesome that we get HTC returning to "pure Android" with the N9, Will HTC insist with the HTC One M9 that their skin needs to exist? Will Samsung and other OEM's follow suit? Who knows, but it seems that the material design language from Google that is now persistent in Wear and now Lollipop is going to but external pressure from the customers to the vendors to have a consistent user experience which I think will solve (somewhat) the shittiness of carrier bloat, shitty skins that do little to help user experience and hardware that will actually feel more premium in the process.
preaching to the choir lol. Good points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom