• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furyous

Does that Moto X 2014 deal include the option to cancel via ETF? If so, one could buy it using the deal, cancel and save more money than buying it unlocked at full cost.

The Oneplus two needs to come with the 810 sold at cost. They could squeeze the 805 into a smaller version to save cost if need be. If they make it sub 5 inches and include an SD card slot then I'm in.

I learned a valuable lesson from my dealings with the G3: 5.3 inches is the maximum screen size I can deal with. Anything over that is too much for me so hopefully 2015 is the year of the sub 5.3 inch smartphone, please???

Maiar_m

Yo, what would you guys buy someone who wants a 8'+ android tablet these days, sub 350€ (so sub 350$ let's be honest) if possible? There isn't a plethora of reviews about recent android tablets ("whatever") so if you guys have first hand experience, I'll take it.

Jzero

Guys don't delete the Google Voice app even after you have merged it with Hangouts. I've missed a bunch of calls from work because of this.

CronoShot

Yo, what would you guys buy someone who wants a 8'+ android tablet these days, sub 350€ (so sub 350$ let's be honest) if possible? There isn't a plethora of reviews about recent android tablets ("whatever") so if you guys have first hand experience, I'll take it.

Nvidia Shield Tablet. $299, has the similar specs as the Nexus 9 (although the Tegra K1 in the N9 is 64 bit) and has an SD card slot. Very close to stock Android too. Only downside is the lower res screen (1080p I think).

Nvidia Shield Tablet. $299, has the similar specs as the Nexus 9 (although the Tegra K1 in the N9 is 64 bit) and has an SD card slot. Very close to stock Android too. Only downside is the lower res screen (1080p I think).

And that's its not a nexus tablet which is a HUGE downside.

The 2012 Nexus 7 is getting android 5.0 on Monday. That is incredible.

I know about the N9. It's over my price range but regardless, I really don't think it's "the tablet to get", it's not out yet, it's untested, having a powerful core isn't a guarantee of quality. I'm more than wary of unreviewed hardware now, let's not get caught in the hype.

You clearly have no idea how sad the android tablet ecosystem is if you are doubting that its the tablet to get.

Its 50 dollars over your price range and its out Monday. But I can turn off good advice mode if you want so you can regret your tablet purchase in 6 months.

Talon

30% of iPhones were probably on iOS 7 day 1 of it's release, based on previous Apple OS upgrade rollouts.

30% of Android devices will be on Lollipop...in a year?
More like 2016. Kitkat isn't even at 25%.
T5VkiVL.png

NotBacon

I know about the N9. It's over my price range but regardless, I really don't think it's "the tablet to get", it's not out yet, it's untested, having a powerful core isn't a guarantee of quality. I'm more than wary of unreviewed hardware now, let's not get caught in the hype.

Get the N9 if you want to have sweg

The only answer is the Surface Pro 3
when Microsoft decides to lower the price
Or this.

Ocho

And that's its not a nexus tablet which is a HUGE downside.

The 2012 Nexus 7 is getting android 5.0 on Monday. That is incredible.

NVIDIA has a nice track so far of updating their devices. They already announced lollipop is coming soon to the tablet. Also the shield isn't two years old, which is a HUGE upside. Nvidia doesn't skin, by the way. Its a superior choice by far.

Does that Moto X 2014 deal include the option to cancel via ETF? If so, one could buy it using the deal, cancel and save more money than buying it unlocked at full cost.

The Oneplus two needs to come with the 810 sold at cost. They could squeeze the 805 into a smaller version to save cost if need be. If they make it sub 5 inches and include an SD card slot then I'm in.

I learned a valuable lesson from my dealings with the G3: 5.3 inches is the maximum screen size I can deal with. Anything over that is too much for me so hopefully 2015 is the year of the sub 5.3 inch smartphone, please???
the one plus 2 should focus on making a smaller phone and selling them like normal human beings

Man, I didn't realize how much I would miss the speakers on my m7 coming to the turbo. The speaker on this isn't horrible but it's not BOOMSOUND.

A feature I never thought I would miss on a phone.

pronk420

has anyone tried the new gmail with multiple non-gmail accounts support? I'm wondering if it is an improvement over the standard android email app?

Does it support syncing specified folders, setting folder specific notifications? Is the search still terrible?

well to answer my own questions, it seems to be prettier but about as useless as the built in email app. there is no way to manage folder syncing and notifications as far as I can tell, and the search is even worse somehow, which i didn't think would be possible. It seems like it will only search a specific folder, and doesn't even do that well. I can't quite tell but it might only be searching the downloaded emails and not on the server at all.

minx

Alright I need help. I have a Galaxy S5 and my battery is draining really fast recently. Going down to 50 percent in 5 hours. 30 percent of the battery is the Android system. 15 percent screen time. This is with wifi off, GPS off etc. I turned off google now. Not sure what could be causing this. Any help would be appreciated.

Maiar_m

You clearly have no idea how sad the android tablet ecosystem is if you are doubting that its the tablet to get.

Its 50 dollars over your price range and its out Monday. But I can turn off good advice mode if you want so you can regret your tablet purchase in 6 months.

I've gotten pretty much all the past nexus devices and I'm pretty well informed, which is why I was asking for first-hand accounts not "good advice" which stems from some assumption a device that bears the nexus logo and a powerful core is bound to be awesome. You gave me an answer to everything but the question that was asked, so don't get all pouty when you're called out for it. Just because I don't want to put money on a device that hasn't been tested doesn't make me uninformed about the ecosystem in place. I'd argue the exact opposite.

Thank you for this.

"Hey sexy, want a ride on my N9?"

Toki767

Alright I need help. I have a Galaxy S5 and my battery is draining really fast recently. Going down to 50 percent in 5 hours. 30 percent of the battery is the Android system. 15 percent screen time. This is with wifi off, GPS off etc. I turned off google now. Not sure what could be causing this. Any help would be appreciated.

Location services probably. Even with Google Now off, it still checks for where you are like every minute.

Quasar

It is. Google is consumer first, business second. This is nothing new.

Well I imagine Google apps controls don't really allow fore beta software. plus from what I understand the company can control what Google apps users can access so even when it's turned on you may not get inbox on a apps account.

PriitV

After getting my Oneplus one i've been loving it and kept my old nexus 4 as a spare. Flashed a port of Lollipop on it today and man does it look good, shame that the n4 is so small now that i've been handling the opo for a week.

Pretty disappointed in how much the droid turbos battery when idle and this seems to be common. Camera is actually a decent performer at least.

I've gotten pretty much all the past nexus devices and I'm pretty well informed, which is why I was asking for first-hand accounts not "good advice" which stems from some assumption a device that bears the nexus logo and a powerful core is bound to be awesome. You gave me an answer to everything but the question that was asked, so don't get all pouty when you're called out for it. Just because I don't want to put money on a device that hasn't been tested doesn't make me uninformed about the ecosystem in place. I'd argue the exact opposite.

Oh brother. Pouty? Calling me out?

ALL of the news sites received the tablet late last week and are starting to give opinions and impressions on it. That's what I'm reading and why I suggested it. Look at my past post history and you will see i consistently bash the nexus 5. Yep you sure called me out for just assuming it will be good BC the brand and CPU.

You are almost as bad as vanillaidiot. I need a vacation from this user base. Have a good weekend.

Sch1sm

There's a lot of reviews.
Really, just Google Nexus 9 review.
A lot of them aren't thorough, however, considering they aren't on final L and they're mostly a "straight out of the box, first impressions," type deal. What I've noticed is most complaints have to do with the camera and worries about how apps will react to the screen ratio, and everything else is just an overview of specs/design/new UI.

Groof

Oh brother. Pouty? Calling me out?

ALL of the news sites received the tablet late last week and are starting to give opinions and impressions on it. That's what I'm reading and why I suggested it. Look at my past post history and you will see i consistently bash the nexus 5. Yep you sure called me out for just assuming it will be good BC the brand and CPU.

You are almost as bad as vanillaidiot. I need a vacation from this user base. Have a good weekend.
You need to sort out your priorities mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom