• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifters

Got my N5 today and immediately noticed a whine noise from the haptic feedback. I think it was the vibration motor. Quick search revealed tha vibration noise was a common problem but few people reported a whine noise. Already contacted Google for a return.

I wonder if I should take this a sign to just hold on to my N4 longer.
Send it back get a N6.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
12 of the best new features in Android Lollipop

Wow. Are there any apps taking advantage of this feature? (did android police put up an article?)

P.s. This thread needs a title change. Wtf is silver lol

Chrome (Beta) does, looks like this:

screenshot_2014-10-18u3s6o.png

Been using it for quite some time now. Took some getting used to, but now I think I prefer it to using the in-browser tab switcher.

snacknuts

we all knew her
You have tap & pay gas stations?! Man... I'm running 4.4.4 as well, on my HTC One (M7).

EDIT: Wait, I just thought about it, you had to go into the station to do it, right? I was thinking you were doing it right at a pay station, or the pump itself.

The Meijer gas stations around me (Indianapolis) have tap-to-pay on the pumps themselves.

I need that 5.0 update yesterday. Whenever I wake my phone now, the Exchange Service crashes multiple times in a row. I just had it crashing 10 times in a row just now (I'm not exaggerating here).

Also, the pedometer in the N5 is really inaccurate for me. It counted 10 steps as 30. I was wondering why my short 2 minute walk to the grocery store suddenly added around 1000 steps. Am I doing something wrong here? Do I need to calibrate something first?

Sch1sm

I need that 5.0 update yesterday. Whenever I wake my phone now, the Exchange Service crashes multiple times in a row. I just had it crashing 10 times in a row just now (I'm not exaggerating here).

I experienced that, too. Couldn't even open the app, really. Ended up downloading the Outlook app until it's sorted out. If you use Exchange Services for work emails or the like, well, that really does suck -- now I have to log into my school email online and it's irritating as hell, but we have to just wait with this issue.

I will be moving from Android 4.1.2 (Note 2) to 5.0 (Nexus 6). What would be the easiest way to transfer selected apps/appdata to a new phone? I use Helium for backups on my Note 2 but they mention their app will not work with Motorola devices.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hey look the Verge ran an article about how Lenovo finally owns Moto.

That just means all of their old Moto articles from this year were wrong since they constantly stated they were owned by Lenovo all fucking year.

Dumbasses!

Zeppu

I still can't believe that just a few years ago the Verge was a great site I used to read articles from. It's incredible how quickly that site descended from 'Great non-technical tech journalism site' to 'Utter shit site which sometimes mentions tech stuff.'

Vanillalite

In theory all of last year's flagship devices will get L. Just don't expect them to get top billing over this year's crop of devices. So if you have a G2 or GS4 or One M7 you'll be waiting for the G3, GS5, and M8 first.

And its final... Moto is making some strong claims which is great.

"The iconic Motorola brand will continue, as will the Moto and DROID franchises that have propelled our growth over the past year. We will continue to focus on pure Android and fast upgrades, and remain committed to developing technology to solve real consumer problems."

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.in/2014/10/hello-lenovo.html

edit: Lenovo posted as well.. http://news.lenovo.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1860
So I'm assuming the real world solutions to people's problems will be a better battery and camera right? Or are they leaving that for the Droid Turbo?

Vanillalite

"The iconic Motorola brand will continue, as will the Moto and DROID franchises that have propelled our growth over the past year. We will continue to focus on pure Android and fast upgrades, and remain committed to developing technology to solve real consumer problems."

edit: Lenovo posted as well.. http://news.lenovo.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1860

But I thought Lenovo was already Moto's parent company or so says the Moto X 2014 Verge review you always quote!

The Verge Sept 8th said:
Fortunately for Motorola and its new parent company Lenovo, the new Moto X is a home run.

malyce

So they're gonna focus on battery life going forward.. Good to know.

But I thought Lenovo was already Moto's parent company or so says the Moto X 2014 Verge review you always quote!

iVerge was wrong. It was commonly known that the sale had not been completed yet.

The verge gave a quality review on this phone and that's why I quote it. Them screwing up a fact like the status on the parent company has nothing to do with anything.

Once again, you are reaching. If you are going to take shots at me maybe you should have a point?

snacknuts

we all knew her
The more I read about the Turbo, the more convinced I am that I'm going to be walking out of my nearest Verizon retailer with one tonight.

The more I read about the Turbo, the more convinced I am that I'm going to be walking out of my nearest Verizon retailer with one tonight.

Just got one on lunchtime, traded in my S4 and got 110$ towards my Turbo. Still playing around with it, but it's amazing so far. Boots super fast, screen is incredible, everything is snappy.

NotBacon

Just got one on lunchtime, traded in my S4 and got 110$ towards my Turbo. Still playing around with it, but it's amazing so far. Boots super fast, screen is incredible, everything is snappy.

If you go to Settings > Apps > All and start scrolling down, do you see a bunch of Droid stuff? Or I guess, do you see any Droid bloat in general?

Piano

Banned
Went in and played with a Turbo this afternoon. I still don't love the aesthetics but I have to say it looks better than I expected.

I'll probably end up getting one in the next few days to replace my Galaxy Nexus...just waiting for some impressions on the battery.

The only negative I noticed (other than Verizon bloat) was almost...screen tearing ? on the QHD screen. I only noticed it when scrolling rapidly or changing directions and I couldn't see an actual tear but it felt like half of the screen was faster than the other half, almost as if things were "warping" slightly.

edit: I'm not the only one who noticed the warping.

If you go to Settings > Apps > All and start scrolling down, do you see a bunch of Droid stuff? Or I guess, do you see any Droid bloat in general?

Played with it for a good hour now. It did have a system update already and so far I haven't seen any of the screen tearing so maybe that update fixed it.

As for bloat, there's a suite of some Moto apps that I think are on the Moto X as well, the only ones named "Droid" is something called Droid Zap and Call my Droid. There's a few verizon bloat on there, but not many. NFL, Verizon Cloud, and maybe 1-2 others.

I got one of those Flip Cover cases with it like what the LG and Galaxy phones have and the "Window" is really big and when someone calls, it displays a really nice sized picture and options to answer, hang up, etc. You can get to other notifications from the Flip Cover too, all of which are custom.

Chrome seems to be very snappy as well, but I haven't tested it too much. It does load gifs on Imgur quickly as something I tested, haha.

If anyone wants me to test something specific, I will do my best.

Battery was at 50% when i first turned it on about 2 hours, and after downloading all my apps, playing around with settings, it's at 39% now.

Screen size is perfect and image quality is amazing. Now I want the Moto 360!

Orcastar

They said its coming. In a moment of good thinking they decided to port the G3 interface back to the G2, but no reason to do that when they could wait and do with L. Just expect the G3 to be top priority.

G2 is gonna get the Android L love, too, don't worry.

This pleases me greatly.

My G2 actually downloaded a 140-something MB software update today. The change notes said something like "App enhancements", but I have nno idea what it actually did. It's still 4.4.2.

How's the camera for droid turbo guys..really confused between it and z3v
z3v looks nicer plus remote play.. On the other hand droid turbo is no brainer, will cost less and overall better specs...gizmodo said that the 2 day battery claim for turbo is exaggerated and another site said the camera is just ok, subpar to the note 4 and iphone 6 :(

NotBacon

z3v looks nicer plus remote play.. On the other hand droid turbo is no brainer, will cost less and overall better specs...gizmodo said that the 2 day battery claim for turbo is exaggerated and another site said the camera is just ok, subpar to the note 4 and iphone 6 :(

Everything is subpar to the Note 4 and iPhone 6....

Edit: In the camera category

Piano

Banned
For what its worth I got my hands on both at Verizon today and the Z3V feels much worse in the hand.

Everything is subpar to the Note 4 and iPhone 6....

got my sister the note 4 from verizon with $200 off offer and i could avail the same offer but i just cant stand the samsung UI or the huge size of the device..When i tried the Z3V, it felt good for some reason, may it was the all glass back

NotBacon

How do you figure?

Went into Verizon today and the turbo felt great in hand.

got my sister the note 4 from verizon with $200 off offer and i could avail the same offer but i just cant stand the samsung UI or the huge size of the device..When i tried the Z3V, it felt good for some reason, may it was the all glass back

Oops, he was talking about the camera, I forgot to explicitly say that.

Got to try out the Droid Turbo today. It's basically a Moto X with a different name which is fine. I definitely like the Ballistic Nylon back a lot and it looks very nice in person. It's no faster than the Moto X but I thought the screen looked a tad bit sharper. The only problem is not a lot of apps are optimized for a 1440p display as of right now. Hopefully with the Nexus 6 and Note 4, devs create apps which takes advantage of it. I did not use the camera except to see the shutter speed. It's slow but I hope it takes great photos.

Now I'm stuck between the Nexus 6 and the Turbo. We shall see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom