• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
no 3.5mm headphone connector either. Tradeoffs really aren't worth it

No 3.5mm jack is a plus in my book. Means the manufacturer is forward thinking. Fucking 50+ year old headphone jacks. I hope Apple leads the way in nixing these things. It would be cool for Beats.

thespot84

4483.jpg

regarding thickness, the OG moto x nailed it. thin on the sides and thick in the middle. No other phone fits as well in the hand.

You can now use Google Play Credit to pay for Google Music and Newstand subs!!

I'm not seeing how to do this, still only shows my credit cards...

NotBacon

10:14 I decide to browse another website
10:16 Gaf member says N6 pre-orders are up
10:19 I see that post and check the store.

"Out of inventory"

-.-

Blackhead

Redarse
12 of the best new features in Android Lollipop
11) Overview: The multitasking view now has a new name, Overview, and a new Material Design look. Each app is a big card, stacked up, and you can scroll through many more recent apps than you used to be able to. But the best feature is that any app can create multiple "cards." So, for example, when you compose a new email your inbox is still in the overview, so you can switch back and forth between tasks in a single app.

Wow. Are there any apps taking advantage of this feature? (did android police put up an article?)

P.s. This thread needs a title change. Wtf is silver lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Does Google Wallet work on AT&T yet?

Nope. I even reached out to Google support and they pretended not to know why my at&t M8 didn't work with Wallet. I also tried setting up softcard, the carrier preferred version and it's a joke. I can't use my own cards, you have to sign up for an amex with them and then add funds to it. A complete disaster, that's what the current mobile payments environment is.

Nope. I even reached out to Google support and they pretended not to know why my at&t M8 didn't work with Wallet. I also tried setting up softcard, the carrier preferred version and it's a joke. I can't use my own cards, you have to sign up for an amex with them and then add funds to it. A complete disaster, that's what the current mobile payments environment is.

Actually you can use it with any Amex, Chase, or Wells Fargo credit card.

Pathos

Banned
Do they have the one click installation available for the S4? Sister has one and was interested when I mentioned Cyanogenmod before. Haven't had the time to look into it much for her yet. They had the one click install when I put it on my phone, but I'm not sure if it's different for other brands (I installed on a Nexus device).

I tried at least 3 different one click installations and none of them work. I just rooted my phone w/ klingo and then proceeded to install Cyanogenmod. None of the rooting methods worked on my MBP so I had to use my Windows laptop.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Actually you can use it with any Amex, Chase, or Wells Fargo credit card.

So like I said, I can't use any of my cards and my only choice is to get a new card from them and fill it up.

Edit: The other problem is that the number of merchants using it is tiny, none where I live and when I checked Chicago it was a lot smaller than I would've thought for such a big city.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
is it worth it to sell my GS5 and get the Droid Turbo? I really like how it looks, but I just got this phone six months ago :/
Unless you absolutely loathe TouchWiz and don't want to flash another ROM, I'd suggest to hold on to it.

I/O Silver is a play on Hi Ho Silver, presumably.
That and the fact that Silver was rumored to be unveiled at the Google I/O when the topic was created IIRC.

So like I said, I can't use any of my cards and my only choice is to get a new card from them and fill it up.

Edit: The other problem is that the number of merchants using it is tiny, none where I live and when I checked Chicago it was a lot smaller than I would've thought for such a big city.

I mean it gives you plenty of choices. Not saying it's a good service, but I have all 3 of those options available.

SimleuqiR

I remember being amazed that full sized webpages were readable on this.

Now I get pissed off as sites without mobile formatting haha.

No MMS and just EDGE!!
But boy, wasn't that touch screen and icon setup "revolutionary"? That device changed a whole industry and toppled a couple of giants.

Hasney

I remember being amazed that full sized webpages were readable on this.

Now I get pissed off as sites without mobile formatting haha.

Ha, I get pissed off with sites that don't have a "disable mobile website" function
No MMS and just EDGE!!
But boy, wasn't that touch screen and icon setup "revolutionary"? That device changed a whole industry and toppled a couple of giants.

Ended up going with the Nokia N95 purely because of the lack of 3G. They brought me in with the iPhone 3G though.

NotBacon

Just as I'm switching to $30 T-mobile plan, T-Mobile gives free WiFi calling to everyone but the $30-plan-people, and Google starts focusing heavily on carrier channels with the Nexus 6. -.-

So I did the math again and yep the $30 route still comes out to about $600 cheaper over 2 years.

WHY CAN'T I WIN

Just as I'm switching to $30 T-mobile plan, T-Mobile gives free WiFi calling to everyone but the $30-plan-people, and Google starts focusing heavily on carrier channels with the Nexus 6. -.-

So I did the math again and yep the $30 route still comes out to about $600 cheaper over 2 years.

WHY CAN'T I WIN
I'm going to switch to the $30 plan as well and hearing that is disheartening. I really can't afford the plan I want so I'll still go with the $30 one. *Sigh*

Jzero

WHY CAN'T I WIN
I don't call anyone so the $30 plan will be perfect for me and my Nexus 6.

Got my N5 today and immediately noticed a whine noise from the haptic feedback. I think it was the vibration motor. Quick search revealed tha vibration noise was a common problem but few people reported a whine noise. Already contacted Google for a return.

I wonder if I should take this a sign to just hold on to my N4 longer.

MattDoza

Weird. I've used it with a Chase card and with a small local credit union card. But you're right, Walgreens is really the only place I ever go to that accepts tap & pay in my city. It's super limited.

thespot84

Weird. I've used it with a Chase card and with a small local credit union card. But you're right, Walgreens is really the only place I ever go to that accepts tap & pay in my city. It's super limited.

i have trouble at gas stations but it's worked occasionaly. I think it depends on your phone and your rom, I'm on an unlocked moto x with 4.4.4...

MattDoza

i have trouble at gas stations but it's worked occasionaly. I think it depends on your phone and your rom, I'm on an unlocked moto x with 4.4.4...

You have tap & pay gas stations?! Man... I'm running 4.4.4 as well, on my HTC One (M7).

EDIT: Wait, I just thought about it, you had to go into the station to do it, right? I was thinking you were doing it right at a pay station, or the pump itself.

thespot84

You have tap & pay gas stations?! Man... I'm running 4.4.4 as well, on my HTC One (M7).

EDIT: Wait, I just thought about it, you had to go into the station to do it, right? I was thinking you were doing it right at a pay station, or the pump itself.

yeah inside, not outside yet unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom