• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival Announced (Wii U, Mario Party System, Holiday 2015)

To be fair, it looks absolutely adorable and I like my video game board games. But goddamn, can't I just play Animal crossing, not some spinoff.

Meier

When the Amiibos leaked online I told my wife as she's a huge AC fan. She actually figured she probably wouldn't play the Wii U version because she feels like it's best suited as a portable game.

So realistically in terms of actual AC players, this is probably not a terrible decision.. but when I saw Animal Crossing and Wii U it at least felt like they were trying. The end product ultimately feels basically like an Amiibo cash grab and that's unfortunate.

To be fair, maybe this is a sign that Nintendo finally realized, after the mediocre City Folk, that AC just does better on handhelds.

The best console AC was, and still is, the GameCube original. We have New Leaf for the handheld space. They will inevitably make a new one for NX, which is supposed to be a console/handheld hybrid so no worries there.

Still, this was... a very bad announcement.

Jakoo

Seems like a cash-in on both Amiibo's and Animal Crossing. The assets just look like up-rezzed 3DS assets.

I don't hate that this exists, because it probably will be a perfectly serviceable family game. I hate that this was being propped up as a major title in their Digital Event.

To be fair, maybe this is a sign that Nintendo finally realized, after the mediocre City Folk, that AC just does better on handhelds.

The best console AC was, and still is, the GameCube original. We have New Leaf for the handheld space. They will inevitably make a new one for NX, which is supposed to be a console/handheld hybrid so no worries there.

Still, this was... a very bad announcement.
But the GameCube one is great! And City Folk wasn't bad because it wasn't a handheld, it was bad because they put no effort into it. If Nintendo is finally "realizing" what you're saying, they're crazy.

And the 3DS got a spinoff too! lol

ShyMel

While I would have defintely bought a console AC, I can guess that the Wii U's performance makes that risky. Not sure if I'll get this, but those amiibos will be mine.

Karkador

Banned

Make one middling up-res of Wild World for the Wii = "the series does better on handhelds"?

No. What makes the series good is creativity and good design. New Leaf was good because it was actually new, not because it was on 3ds.

The Wii U's features could have made for a good new game. I'm not even opposed to them doing things with amiibos at all, but this could have been a mini game in a proper AC game.

woopWOOP

Uhhh.

Huh.

Can you use Amiibo's outside of AC? AC monopoly with Megaman and Pikachu Samus would be pretty goofy.

I love it. I wish they had called Animal Crossing Fortune Street

Same thing I thought of. I didn't see any Mario Party like games. Looks like it's more finance/strategy ala Fortune Street and as the biggest Itadaki/Fortune Street fanboy here, I'm keeping my eyes on this one.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Not getting Animal Crossing on Wii U is the only comfort this Direct gave me.

This series needs to stay handheld.

Anth0ny

They basically decided to fuck with every franchise.

No AC Wii U : but a somehow average AC Mario Party.
No Metroid game : Metroid Prime co-op spin-off on 3DS.
No Zelda Wii U : Four Swords minus one.

What's next ? :D

No Paper Mario U: weird Paper Mario x Mario & Luigi crossover on 3DS

Nintendo is going deaf.

starmud

Animal Crossing is much more suited to portable systems.. That said, this still looks awful.

this. happy home academy could have worked well on wiiu but why invest the franchise that heavily into a platform that won't see a sizable return from the effort.

the two spin off's were seeing is nintey making a mad money grab and thinking of how to utilize amiibo to best $.

CHo0XBqWoAAN-Y0.jpg:orig

https://twitter.com/boxartroundup/status/610858271465979905

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Does this have actual minigames? I didn't see any in the trailer.

EulaCapra

Mario Party with way more texts and assumingly little to no mini-games?

Jesus Christ. I hope it's bundled with anti-depression medication.

Top Bottom