• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

I'm sitting here with iOS9 beta 2 all like....

Sad-danbo.jpg

Juice

Does 'Verifying Update' check with the server to see if the update is signed correctly, or does it actually scan through the whole update file? Because it always takes 5+ minutes on all my devices.

"Requesting update from apple" is a step that signs your udid so that it can install the update and that requires a network connection.

The "verifying update" step will do a checksum verification of the downloaded payload to make sure no bits were mistaken in transmission or copying, since any such errors could brick your phone.

What is the heart button supposed to do?
Edit: nevermind got the popup when I pressed it on a song. Didn't know what it did when I hearted a playlist.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Are the 25's that much better than the 15's? I was acutely disappointed with those. Noise cancelling was nice, but the sound was flat as hell.

Never tried the QC 15, only less expensive models from other brands. The noise canceling in the QC 25 is very effective at canceling out background noise in trains, from open windows, etc. I use it regularly while traveling and in the office, and I am happy so far.

nikos

I'm sitting here with iOS9 beta 2 all like....

Sad-danbo.jpg

Works on iOS 9. Go to the Music app, tap Radio, and then the Beats 1 icon at the top. For some reason, I have to tap to the right of the "Play Now" button.

Something of note, when I pressed play on my iPad, Beats 1 stopped playing on my iPhone.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I really enjoy how they did the 'select artists you like' thingie. It kept throwing up amazing suggestions. Air? Fuck YES. Boards of Canada? A Tribe Called Quest? Sohn? Florence + The Machine? Yes yes yes yes yes.

Also, under your profile you can register a nickname, these are probably gone quick so get yours.

Works on iOS 9. Go to the Music app, tap Radio, and then the Beats 1 icon at the top. Might have to hammer it a few times.

Something of note, when I pressed play on my iPad, Beats 1 stopped playing on my iPhone.

Yeah but Apple Music itself is not live yet.

The hyped REAL HUMAN WORLD RADIO was playing an airplane music atmospheric background noise song. That was odd.

This app is really nice, I am confused as to why I can't add songs to My Music ("enable icloud music library in settings." so I enable icloud music libary in settings. "Can't enable iCloud music library, enable it later in settings.") What the fuck? Anyone else?

"Requesting update from apple" is a step that signs your udid so that it can install the update and that requires a network connection.

The "verifying update" step will do a checksum verification of the downloaded payload to make sure no bits were mistaken in transmission or copying, since any such errors could brick your phone.

Thanks! Being a checksum explains why it takes as long as it does.

Some other things I noticed:

- Sliding the volume bar in control center also brings up the volume pop-up
- Seems like landscape view in the music player is gone
- Apple Music has a much bigger selection of HK (Hong Kong) Pop than Spotify

Mafro

What do people Jailbreak for nowadays? I understood it when basic copy/paste was not part of the OS, but what are the biggies people want now?
Replacing the default Mail app with Mailbox, removing ads from the Twitter app, quick reply for things other than just the Messages app, speeding up animations, bringing back the Facebook and Twitter posting widget that they got rid of etc.

kaskade

The siri integration is probably the big win here for me. Just saying play <random artist> and having it work is pretty damn cool.

Also, I really enjoyed the music curation by real people in beats so it's nice to have here. I tried out beats during the summer last year and it was nice just putting on some summertime playlist. It did feel a bit better than just leaving it up to an algorithm.

Mononoke

Banned
I really enjoy how they did the 'select artists you like' thingie. It kept throwing up amazing suggestions. Air? Fuck YES. Boards of Canada? A Tribe Called Quest? Sohn? Florence + The Machine? Yes yes yes yes yes.

Also, under your profile you can register a nickname, these are probably gone quick so get yours.

I wonder if that is accurate? I was able to get @mononoke

But that is always taken. I wonder if other people can have the same nickname? If not, well then damn. Thanks for reminding me to grab my nickname so early. :)

Majora

The hyped REAL HUMAN WORLD RADIO was playing an airplane music atmospheric background noise song. That was odd.

This app is really nice, I am confused as to why I can't add songs to My Music ("enable icloud music library in settings." so I enable icloud music libary in settings. "Can't enable iCloud music library, enable it later in settings.") What the fuck? Anyone else?

I get this as well, it's annoying me. Anyone know what to do?

Why would they plan to start their major radio show only an hour after this software is supposed to be available. And half an hour later, there is still no iTunes update.

So unless in the next 30 minutes a lot of people are able to start downloading this, lots of people are going to miss the beginning of it.

Also, why promise that something is going to launch at a certain time.. and then not have it available??

kaskade

How do you use the iTunes match part of this? I kind of just want to trash most of the music off my device once it's all synced up.

Mononoke

Banned
still waiting on iTunes 12.2

this interface is awesome

Yeah, I'm now using it on my iPad, got tired of waiting for iTunes. Interface is way different then what I expected. A pic of a song playing, doesn't really show the true interface. This is actually really nice.

Leninpest

I can't seem to get things to add to My Music without downloading them to my device. Is that how it should be? I was hoping to have my streamed music mixed with my downloaded music.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
did they already announce local pricing? Should I be surprised at $9.99/$14.99 = £9.99/£14.99? how much in bloody euros?

edit: fuck off Spice Girls. I just long pressed to remove them and their little circle keeps sneaking in from the edge of the screen. Also way too much 80's. I like it but give me some other artists.

You can see a LOT of legacy stuff from Beats Music - the whole "For You" screen and even individual curators' playlists (such as Pitchfork).

No sentence, though. I kind of liked the sentence.

Silentium

Haven't been a big user of any other streaming service, but this is exactly what I'm after. I love the look the of the app and the curated playlists. I'm sure I'll love Beats 1 when we hear it soon as well!

KingKong

ok first complaint, singles are mixed in with albums. really obnoxious. For example, here's me first selecting Kanye then his albums starting from the top (the Apple one has like a hundred things in it) in Apple Music vs Spotify.

Top Bottom