• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Raistlin

I only saw DD 5.1 and 7.1 listed under the tech specs for digital surround formats.
It's so lame all the set-top box makers don't offer a cheap 'app' you can purchase to activate DTS bitstreaming. All of their hardware supports it, they just want to avoid the licensing fees. :/

giga

On iOS they don't, that's true. On current iOS devices though, there's a very good reason for that (two, actually). One is that many iOS devices (like A5 devices) don't have the horsepower to do software decoding in many cases, and two is that it's a significant battery drain. That's why transcoding is even a thing, after all - to convert the video into a format that's got a hardware decoder on the client.

If I'm the Plex devs and I'm making an Apple TV app, though, I know that I've got an A8 processor and I don't have to worry about power consumption, so it shouldn't be a problem to include some codecs on the client side so that transcoding isn't as necessary. Of course, it's very possible they just port their iOS app and don't bother doing this.

None have previously to my knowledge, and it runs counter to their original concept and rationale for forking XBMC. Of course that concept was a response to the environment of the time. So as client devices continue to become more and more capable, it's quite possible they may change with the environment. But at this time, I haven't read anything that points to such a change hitting in the short term.

A point to consider though is that newer harder may mean more of your content can actually be played directly or muxed, making transcoding unnecessary or at least rare.
Yeah, that makes sense since they're no longer encumbered by a battery too. If VLC can do on-device transcoding/decoding, they should too.

It's so lame all the set-top box makers don't offer a cheap 'app' you can purchase to activate DTS bitstreaming. All of their hardware supports it, they just want to avoid the licensing fees. :/

I hear you. Seems like the one compromise that every streaming box has (except maybe the Shield TV, but Plex ran awful on it for the few weeks I had one).

Raistlin

Yeah but that's actually a load of shit in its disingenuousness.

Sure 'all are welcome', they just have to fork over 30% ... which in most cases would amount to Amazon actually taking a loss.

It's either sell at a loss or artificially increase your pricing on AppleTV a la Spotify. The main difference being unlike Spotify, such an increase would completely price you out of the market. That reality is basically Apple will be the only ones selling videos and rentals on this thing.

Amazon's move to not sell these on their site is a negotiating tactic to get a lower fee. If they can come to a reasonable compromise, Amazon Video will hit the App Store and these will be sold on their site.

Sure 'all are welcome', they just have to fork over 30% ... which in most cases would amount to Amazon actually taking a loss.

It's either sell at a loss or artificially increase your pricing on AppleTV a la Spotify. The main difference being unlike Spotify, such an increase would completely price you out of the market. That reality is basically Apple will be the only ones selling videos and rentals on this thing.

Amazon's move to not sell these on their site is a negotiating tactic to get a lower fee. If they can come to a reasonable compromise, Amazon Video will hit the App Store and these will be sold on their site.

So make a playback app. If VUDU makes an ATV app it'll be the same thing

ecurbj

So make a playback app. If VUDU makes an ATV app it'll be the same thing
Exactly! No one is signing up a subscription thru the app like YouTube Red or Spotify. We just want an app where we can just view our library or purchases on. What it is, is that they want to have people sign up subscriptions thru the TV app to generate more members and that's where the 30% cut comes from and they don't want to give Apple that cut. Hence when they said "all streaming devices sold on our storefront needs to be compatible with our offering".

Sucks since I signed up for Prime for the two day shipping. But the Video aspect was just a perk for me. So no loss. Still sucks that they are kinda forcing you to either AirPlay or buy their FireTV just to view Prime content.

I hope VUDU submits an app.

SuperPac

I don't think any of the reviews mentioned navigating a large iTunes library in the "Computers" section. It is the worst. The. Worst.

There is a lot to like about the new Apple TV. But not that part.

this_guy

Exactly! No one is signing up a subscription thru the app like YouTube Red or Spotify. We just want an app where we can just view our library or purchases on. What it is, is that they want to have people sign up subscriptions thru the TV app to generate more members and that's where the 30% cut comes from and they don't want to give Apple that cut. Hence when they said "all streaming devices sold on our storefront needs to be compatible with our offering".

Sucks since I signed up for Prime for the two day shipping. But the Video aspect was just a perk for me. So no loss. Still sucks that they are kinda forcing you to either AirPlay or buy their FireTV just to view Prime content.

I hope VUDU submits an app.

I have a Fire TV. Why won't Apple make an iTunes movie player app for it? This is the same argument.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

I just want to play my amazon media on the apple tv. They need to stop acting like babies over there.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I have a Fire TV. Why won't Apple make an iTunes movie player app for it? This is the same argument.

Except Amazon makes players on every other device other than the Apple TV, and Apple doesn't make an iTunes app for any device at all. They aren't solely excluding the Fire TV the way Amazon is solely excluding the Apple TV.

numble

Amazon can just make a playback app like they do on the iOS App Store. Do they face this "sell at a loss or artificially increase your pricing" dilemma on the iOS App Store?

Dead

well not really...yet
Except Amazon makes players on every other device other than the Apple TV, and Apple doesn't make an iTunes app for any device at all. They aren't solely excluding the Fire TV the way Amazon is solely excluding the Apple TV.
amazon video isnt available on Android TV either, so it's not just Apple

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

Sure 'all are welcome', they just have to fork over 30% ... which in most cases would amount to Amazon actually taking a loss..

So Amazon have to pay the 30% from the current Amazon Prime video app on iOS?

Siri doesn't work with music? LAME! That better get fixed soon.

Early Next year:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...h-for-apple-music-on-apple-tv-early-next-year

so, why not make a tvOS app that does the same thing then?

tumblr_m7i41heDNm1r5r8duo2_500.gif

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so, why not make a tvOS app that does the same thing then?
You'd have to ask Amazon (though I'm guessing them selling a directly competing box might have something to do with it)

After reading The Verge review, I also find the slam on QVC in here a little disingenuous. The point was the QVC app actually showed one of the many real possibilities of the future of TV. i.e. The classic QVC channel running like normal with full shopping capabilities built right into the display. Imagine something like American Idol where someone could win a vote immediately before the show even ended. Or better yet, a Whose Line Is It Anyway? with choices selected live by the viewers, etc. in theory this provides a step forward for studio budgeted shows to start approaching the accessibility of web shows. Sure the tech isn't new, but putting it directly on the TV gives them incentive (and likely bigger advertising dollars to go with the bigger screen)

Because they are being difficult and not getting it the way they WANT it to be like. That's why.

And cosumers will have to suffer the consequence along with it.

Right. So it's not Apple being disingenuous, and it's not about the '30%'. It's down to Amazon being petulant.

Apple TV 4 Orders Begin Shipping for October 30 Delivery

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/28/apple-tv-4-orders-shipping/

Roughly 24 hours after orders for the new Apple TV began shifting to "Preparing for Shipment" status, Apple has begun notifying customers that their orders have shipped. Early reports so far all appear to be from Australia, where it is currently the afternoon of October 29 and deliveries are scheduled for Friday, October 30. Shipment notifications for customers in other countries should begin rolling out in the coming hours as the clocks roll around into business hours on Thursday.

this_guy

Because they are being difficult and not getting it the way they WANT it to be like. That's why.

And Apple TV users will have to suffer the consequence along with it.

Fixed that for you.

Amazon is selling a competing box to watch Amazon videos. They haven't put their video player on either Apple TV or the Nexus player. There would be a lot less reason to get the Fire TV if you can watch Amazon videos on other streaming boxes along with itunes/Google Play movies while the Fire TV can't access those other services.

Roku has the most compatible formats (Amazon, Google Play, Vudu). Disney has the right idea with their Disneymoviesanywhere movies.

It's a streaming box, not a permanent media storage locker. The idea is if you want a permanent download, you fire up iTunes to have a permanent downloaded copy, which you can locally stream from the computer via Home Sharing. Otherwise, it's streamed on demand from Apple TV. It's not deleting your purchase history, just the file.

I think that's a pretty terrible solution. If they don't allow permanent downloads of content I purchase, it's a nonstarter for me. I have a crappy DSL connection and can barely stream 480p. If I buy a movie, I want it stored for as long as I choose. Otherwise, why have 64GB of storage?

Given the reviews are out, I can talk about this now – I have a dev kit – the text input is maybe one of the worst I've ever used. Having to type in all your music searches? Forget it. I guess if they update the Remote app that could work, but Siri already works with Apple Music on iOS, so I don't see what the delay is.

p.s. the Remote is really unergonomic, as the touchpad is at the top. It's like using an iPhone 6 but only swiping on the top part of the screen. I can't imagine that their hardware A-team was involved in its design.

Somnid

You'd have to ask Amazon (though I'm guessing them selling a directly competing box might have something to do with it)

Amazon doesn't really make money on the hardware, they've been pretty upfront about that. What they hate is:
1) Apple asking for any part of their digital sales
2) Apple forcing them into strange workarounds which creates buyer friction

Those two things directly cost them money, and are an increasingly important part of their business because they are higher margin than physical goods. It's a cache 22 because they either need to pay app store taxes which means their margins are always 30% more than Apple's and they sell at a disadvantage or they have a worse app experience because you can't pay in app. So they've gotten a lot more aggressive with pushing back, Prime is the 2nd most popular video service and will be a big black eye for Apple TV and not selling Apple TV devices will likely cost Apple millions in lost sales.

SourBear

Banned
I think that's a pretty terrible solution. If they don't allow permanent downloads of content I purchase, it's a nonstarter for me. I have a crappy DSL connection and can barely stream 480p. If I buy a movie, I want it stored for as long as I choose. Otherwise, why have 64GB of storage?

If they did then it would hold all of 12 movies, not even that really. Assuming 720p.
Good luck with that.

Terrell

... and you're investing in an internet-driven set top box? Like buying a Tesla automobile when you live 5 hours from anything resembling civilization.

And as Apple keeps saying... APPS. That's why there's 64GB of storage. For most people who download internet video, that holds basically nothing and they know it.

Your expectations were seriously out of joint.

Given the reviews are out, I can talk about this now – I have a dev kit – the text input is maybe one of the worst I've ever used. Having to type in all your music searches? Forget it. I guess if they update the Remote app that could work, but Siri already works with Apple Music on iOS, so I don't see what the delay is.

p.s. the Remote is really unergonomic, as the touchpad is at the top. It's like using an iPhone 6 but only swiping on the top part of the screen. I can't imagine that their hardware A-team was involved in its design.

Putting it at the bottom isn't ideal, either, and the middle makes the touchpad far less useful as a game control method than it is already.

Amazon doesn't really make money on the hardware, they've been pretty upfront about that. What they hate is:
1) Apple asking for any part of their digital sales
2) Apple forcing them into strange workarounds which creates buyer friction

If Amazon Instant Video being unpresent were exclusively an issue with Apple TV, these arguments hold merit.

BUT, since people keep forgetting: What's Amazon's excuse for shunning Chromecast/Google? Google puts up none of these impediments, yet Amazon has no app there, either, and also removed Chromecast devices from being sold on Amazon.

So any reason proposed for Amazon not having an app on Apple TV gets thrown out and replaced with the most obvious answer:

Amazon wants its Instant Video users to use Amazon boxes, trying to be Apple without all the friction-free interoperability and multiple other hardware pieces of Apple's ecosystem that make that a less bitter pill to swallow, and blatantly shuns its biggest competitors by actively attempting to restrict competition in retail because it controls a major retail outlet and crying foul that their competitors are big meanies (while Google is giving them a WTF look over how much bullshit they're talking).

Your expectations were seriously out of joint.

I didn't have expectations; I got it as a second development device and to just see if I might use it personally. TV streaming is probably the only content I'd consume on it; their idea of movie consumption doesn't fit what I want.

Putting it at the bottom isn't ideal, either, and the middle makes the touchpad far less useful as a game control method than it is already.

Trust me, putting the touchpad in the middle would've been FAR better than having it at the top where your thumb is stretching to reach it all the time. It would make using as a single-hand control device much more plausible (trying to use motion control + the touchpad at the same time is really awkward/uncomfortable). I probably would've put it 3/4th of the way towards the bottom, so there'd be a row on the bottom, then the touchpad, and the rest of the buttons above it. I just tried that layout on the Remote and it feels much more comfortable.

Terrell

Trust me, putting the touchpad in the middle would've been FAR better than having it at the top where your thumb is stretching to reach it all the time. It would make using as a single-hand control device much more plausible (trying to use motion control + the touchpad at the same time is really awkward/uncomfortable). I probably would've put it 3/4th of the way towards the bottom, so there'd be a row on the bottom, then the touchpad, and the rest of the buttons above it. I just tried that layout on the Remote and it feels much more comfortable.

Then you're just "stretching your thumb" to reach the buttons you've divided in half. Instead of grouping the physical buttons together, like a sane designer would.

And why stretch the thumb anyways? Loosen your grip on it, the part of the remote you want slides towards your thumb, re-tighten, you use it. I've been doing that with MUCH larger TV remotes with MUCH more spread out input layouts since the late 90s. And this has much less length/surface to cover. The amount of times you'd interact with buttons and the touchpad in tandem seems... incredibly remote. Pun intended.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Amazon wants its Instant Video users to use Amazon boxes, trying to be Apple without all the friction-free interoperability and multiple other hardware pieces of Apple's ecosystem that make that a less bitter pill to swallow, and blatantly shuns its biggest competitors by actively attempting to restrict competition in retail because it controls a major retail outlet and crying foul that their competitors are big meanies (while Google is giving them a WTF look over how much bullshit they're talking).

Friction free interoperability? Like AirPlay that only works on Apple target devices? Or Apple apps that don't support chromecast or android (sorry if you bought a bunch of movies on Apple TV in the past and dare to buy an android phone, you can't play them there)? Or iMessage which has no windows or android client so is a poor experience unless you have entirely Apple kit as well as your friends/family?

Apple lean on people way more, but they have the install base to get away with it more than Amazon do. Both sides are being anti consumer twats

giga

J-Pac says Siri will be expanded from its current set:

Caveat: Siri search is not quite all the way there yet. It doesn’t yet extend to the App Store or YouTube, but I’m told it will eventually. Calibrating Siri to effectively search those vast libraries in a way that makes sense of all the varied stuff within them and delivers the results you want is going to take some time. One thing to look forward to: Siri search is coming to Apple Music on Apple TV at the beginning of next year.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkow...s-finally-here?utm_term=.mvdPPnj18#.sbJaa8y7O

borghe

I was originally thinking the delay had to do with them getting their cable cutter service ready, but now I'm thinking it had more to do with problems with getting Siri integrated. That they don't have Siri fully integrated into all of their own apps, let alone the major third-party apps, seems to say quite a bit. And this is coming from a pretty huge Apple fan boy. The device look solid, and I'm sure I'm gonna love it, but this seems much more like a 1.0 device than a 4.0 device.

Somnid

If Amazon Instant Video being unpresent were exclusively an issue with Apple TV, these arguments hold merit.

BUT, since people keep forgetting: What's Amazon's excuse for shunning Chromecast/Google? Google puts up none of these impediments, yet Amazon has no app there, either, and also removed Chromecast devices from being sold on Amazon.

So any reason proposed for Amazon not having an app on Apple TV gets thrown out and replaced with the most obvious answer:

Google is a whole different story, Amazon does not like Google, even more than Apple they are direct competitors. Amazon and Google have tussled several times over Android, Amazon uses it, Google tries it's darndest to make sure nobody is using any non-Google variant. If you recall Amazon last year did put a variant Prime Video on Android using it to push their own app store. Google banhammered it because they don't want that competition. It was a long line of moves they've made to make it hard for alternate versions of Android including the Open Handset Alliance, Google Play certification and booting apps that sell apps. Amazon very likely has billions invested in their app store and definitely does not like getting pushed out. If you ever wonder why they got into the phone, tablet and STB game much of it is to keep that app front going without Google interference. This fight in particular will probably get uglier before it gets better.

kaskade

Amazon not wanting to put out apps on other devices just hurts them more. I wouldn't even mind if they just put out an app that lets me watch prime videos like the iOS app. I'm not exactly going to refrain from buying a device when it has pretty much every other app I want.

borghe

Amazon not wanting to put out apps on other devices just hurts them more. I wouldn't even mind if they just put out an app that lets me watch prime videos like the iOS app. I'm not exactly going to refrain from buying a device when it has pretty much every other app I want.

Amazon not being on Apple TV in fact cost them a sale.

I bought Arsenic and Old Lace last year on iTunes... sadly somehow the file FROM APPLE has become corrupt on audio, and Apple lost (let lapse?) rights to the movie. So because they don't actively sell it anymore, apparently they are unable to request a new encode of the movie... So.... I went to buy it on amazon, except no Prime on Apple TV... So I bought it on YouTube. I can watch YouTube on more devices than Prime.

I did email Amazon about this. Their response was "we are sorry to hear that. Unfortunately we have nothing to say at this time about Amazon Prime coming to Apple TV". I even said in my email "If Amazon Prime was on Apple TV, I would absolutely buy movies from it as an alternative to the times the movie isn't on iTunes, or is much cheaper on Amazon"

LCfiner

I just read that the Air Video HD devs submitted a tvOS app to apple. that's good news for me. That app is my favorite lightweight video streaming app. it does server side transcoding and is very fast and has good options for subtitles, too.

if that's on the app store early and works well, i'll jump in quick.

I just read that the Air Video HD devs submitted a tvOS app to apple. that's good news for me. That app is my favorite lightweight video streaming app. it does server side transcoding and is very fast and has good options for subtitles, too.

if that's on the app store early and works well, i'll jump in quick.

The faith that there would probably be an Air Video HD app is what instantly sold me on a new box. I can Airplay just fine, but having a native app will be great.

LCfiner

The faith that there would probably be an Air Video HD app is what instantly sold me on a new box. I can Airplay just fine, but having a native app will be great.

exactly. AirVideo airplay works fine but is a little cumbersome compared to having a native app on the box

jstripes

Banned

As long as there's no means to sign-up for the service within the app, and it doesn't contain a web link to sign up, Apple doesn't ask for anything.

Sign-up on Amazon.com, sign-in in the app. It's all within the rules.

Amazon's just being... Amazon.

I kind of want one of these (gadgetlust) but will never use it to watch stuff. That said, I've been an iPhone user since 2008 and have spent thousands on apps; the prospect of playing some games on the TV with a controller is somewhat appealing. I know they need to be TVOS'd but do we have any sense yet on how many games are making that jump? Apps don't just work on Apple TV (kind of the way an iPhone app "doubles" on iPad), right? I kind of feel like I should wait a year to see if this all pans out, but then again this is probably not a "yearly update" device given its history. Of course, that could change if it starts flying off the shelves! Stupid gadgetlust.

I kind of want one of these (gadgetlust) but will never use it to watch stuff. That said, I've been an iPhone user since 2008 and have spent thousands on apps; the prospect of playing some games on the TV with a controller is somewhat appealing. I know they need to be TVOS'd but do we have any sense yet on how many games are making that jump? Apps don't just work on Apple TV (kind of the way an iPhone app "doubles" on iPad), right? I kind of feel like I should wait a year to see if this all pans out, but then again this is probably not a "yearly update" device given its history. Of course, that could change if it starts flying off the shelves! Stupid gadgetlust.

From the previews that are out, there seems to be a good number of ports from iOS as well as some Exclusive games like Beat Sports available at launch.

Then you're just "stretching your thumb" to reach the buttons you've divided in half. Instead of grouping the physical buttons together, like a sane designer would.

Basically, the bottom two-thirds of the Remote are comfortable to use one-handed. I tested my layout on the Remote; there's no stretching of thumbs because the height of the bottom two-thirds is almost exactly the height of the 5-series iPhones. That's the height they should've made it because Apple's own studies confirmed that the 4 and 5 series phones were optimal for one-handed use. Instead they made it taller than the 6, with the one-handed issues that comes with.

And why stretch the thumb anyways? Loosen your grip on it, the part of the remote you want slides towards your thumb, re-tighten, you use it. I've been doing that with MUCH larger TV remotes with MUCH more spread out input layouts since the late 90s. And this has much less length/surface to cover. The amount of times you'd interact with buttons and the touchpad in tandem seems... incredibly remote. Pun intended.

Yeah, I've used large remotes before as well and haven't had an issue. I haven't put my finger (no pun intended) on why the Remote feels so unergonomic yet (a colleague of mine agrees), but I think it's because it's so thin that it doesn't feel comfortable to hold in the palm. Instead of your fingers loosely holding a wider remote, you have to wrap your fingers around it. This seems to create more strain as you move your thumb around. Also, the bottom and sides of the Remote are fairly slick, so you can't easily adjust the position in your hand. On top of that, the Remote's way of selecting items is by clicking the touchpad, not tapping. Since the touchpad is at the top with your thumb already extended, clicking in this position (an action you have to do often while navigating the TV) is uncomfortable.

But I'm sure you still don't believe me, so you can wait until tomorrow and draw your own conclusions.

Does Siri work with that content?

I don't believe so. I couldn't get local sharing working during the betas, but I believe only video content is Siri searchable right now. Searching everything else is done with the (as David Pogue put it) "excruciating" text input UI.

From the previews that are out their seems to be a good number of ports from iOS as well as some Exclusive games like Beat Sports available at launch.

I'm still surprised Apple allowed this name. Every time I see it, I think for a second that it's connected with Apple's Beats.

Top Bottom