• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

A whole lotta people still assuming Amazon is never going to port Instant Video to Apple TV...why? They are already on other competing hardware (Roku), they are already on other iOS devices (iPhone, iPad), they've given no hints about being unhappy with Apple. As of a few days ago there wasn't an app on the Apple TV, but really there wasn't a lot of time for their developers to do it - I just had my own app (a game) approved for Apple TV an hour or so ago, very last minute. And maybe it won't be at launch but will come later if Apple announced big Apple TV sales figures.

I'm not saying we're definitely getting an Amazon app, but there's no reason for all this discussion about why Amazon has chosen not to give us one...when there are no signs that they've chosen not to give us one.

Blackhead

Redarse
A whole lotta people still assuming Amazon is never going to port Instant Video to Apple TV...why? They are already on other competing hardware (Roku), they are already on other iOS devices (iPhone, iPad), they've given no hints about being unhappy with Apple. As of a few days ago there wasn't an app on the Apple TV, but really there wasn't a lot of time for their developers to do it - I just had my own app (a game) approved for Apple TV an hour or so ago, very last minute. And maybe it won't be at launch but will come later if Apple announced big Apple TV sales figures.

I'm not saying we're definitely getting an Amazon app, but there's no reason for all this discussion about why Amazon has chosen not to give us one...when there are no signs that they've chosen not to give us one.

huh? Amazon to Ban Sale of Apple, Google Video-Streaming Devices (Amazon to pull existing Apple, Google inventory on Oct. 29)

Juice

I kind of want one of these (gadgetlust) but will never use it to watch stuff. That said, I've been an iPhone user since 2008 and have spent thousands on apps; the prospect of playing some games on the TV with a controller is somewhat appealing. I know they need to be TVOS'd but do we have any sense yet on how many games are making that jump? Apps don't just work on Apple TV (kind of the way an iPhone app "doubles" on iPad), right? I kind of feel like I should wait a year to see if this all pans out, but then again this is probably not a "yearly update" device given its history. Of course, that could change if it starts flying off the shelves! Stupid gadgetlust.

Why wouldn't you use it to watch stuff?

huh? Amazon to Ban Sale of Apple, Google Video-Streaming Devices (Amazon to pull existing Apple, Google inventory on Oct. 29)

The fact that they pulled old devices that didn't already include their app means nothing, they said they were pulling all devices that might "confuse" customers because they didn't currently include the Amazon app. They still sell the Roku QHD which includes the Amazon Instant Video app. They weren't already on old Apple TV devices because those devices didn't allow third party apps, Apple would have had to have written the app for earlier devices.

Somnid

Amazon already said they don't feel it gives consumers the right experience and went as far as delisting AppleTV. Though I think eventually they'll reach an agreement, they want a sweetheart deal and Apple has already signed some with Netflix and HBO.

Just got an email saying my Apple TV has shipped and I'll get it tomorrow, despite not paying for overnight delivery. I hope that is true, because I'd love to have it for the weekend. We'll see.

Amazon already said they don't feel it gives consumers the right experience and went as far as delisting AppleTV. Though I think eventually they'll reach an agreement, they want a sweetheart deal and Apple has already signed some with Netflix and HBO.

Can you give a link to where they said the Apple TV doesn't give their consumers the right experience? As far as I can tell they only said that streaming-video devices that didn't include their app confused people who bought those devices from Amazon.com. As I said, they delisted the Apple TVs that didn't include the app (which was Apple's call at the time).

From the previews that are out, there seems to be a good number of ports from iOS as well as some Exclusive games like Beat Sports available at launch.
Oh man, and you fired back with my kryptonite... a new Harmonix rhythm game. Completely forgot about that.

Sigh... sorta.

Sold.
Why wouldn't you use it to watch stuff?
I have a massive entertainment center with nearly 20 devices hooked into it, many of which provide the same experience. I'm talking all the current consoles, a Roku, etc. Plus I'm not in the Apple ecosystem for media (movies/tv/music), I prefer Amazon for that sort of stuff and the various streaming services are all over the other devices.

Somnid

Can you give a link to where they said the Apple TV doesn't give their consumers the right experience? As far as I can tell they only said that streaming-video devices that didn't include their app confused people who bought those devices from Amazon.com. As I said, they delisted the Apple TVs that didn't include the app (which was Apple's call at the time).

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-to-s...and-chromecast-due-to-no-prime-video-support/

Dear Seller,

Over the last three years, Prime Video has become an important part of Prime. It’s important that the streaming media players we sell interact well with Prime Video in order to avoid customer confusion. Therefore, Amazon has implemented listing restrictions for the followings products:

o Apple TV
o Chromecast
o Nexus Player

Effective immediately, you may no longer create new listings for these products, and as of 10/29/15, any existing listings for these products will be removed. There will be no adverse impact on your seller account for the removal, but we request that you refrain from relisting removed products.

Roku, XBOX, and PlayStation all interact well with Prime Video and are not affected by this change.

Thank you for selling on Amazon.

Sincerely,
Amazon Services

holygeesus

Banned
Not very impressed with Apple's logistics when it comes to these. I ordered within 15 minutes of it going on sale here in the UK, but mine has been set at 'ready to despatch' since early this morning, yet one of my mates ordered one monday night, and his has been shipped! Not in any kind of a rush, but it seems odd that it's not first come first served.

CraigMcD

Not very impressed with Apple's logistics when it comes to these. I ordered within 15 minutes of it going on sale here in the UK, but mine has been set at 'ready to despatch' since early this morning, yet one of my mates ordered one monday night, and his has been shipped! Not in any kind of a rush, but it seems odd that it's not first come first served.

You might be okay in the end. I was in a similar boat and I was quoted 3-5 November for delivery after ordering. It has since been dispatched and it's coming tomorrow.

Occasionally the status on Apple's site doesn't update properly. When I ordered an iPhone a few years back, it sat at the "Waiting to Ship" stage for several days, and didn't change until it was delivered to my door on time, and as expected.

I'm in the same situation. Ordered in the UK as soon as it was available. Only got the preparing to dispatch this morning and it's still like that :(

I wonder if it's connected to it being the 64GB model. Maybe 32GB ones got dispatched sooner.

Think I'm going to try my luck in-store on either Friday or Saturday. UWS NYC. We'll see. Wonder if they'll have the Steel Series controller too... Also wonder if I can stop myself from buying the 64GB model. Doubtful.

TimFL

Still preparing shipment ugh... could still come tomorrow (iPhone 6s was shipped at around midnight).

So what's the difference between roku vs Apple, Google ? Except their size in taking on Amazon?

Cause I don't see how the 30% can be in effect if you sign up through Amazon website

Steve T-S ‏@stroughtonsmith 1h1 hour ago
On-demand-resources, in a nutshell. No controversy here 😜

CSgw2sCWoAACG_K.jpg

CSgw2g3WEAMqnkv.jpg

Asphalt is a little more in-your-face about it 😂
CSgxVoBWIAAt5yE.jpg

Turns out that bundle was just the main menu 😛 This bundle is the first race track…
CSgyEGzWsAEmuln.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSgw2sCWoAACG_K.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSgw2g3WEAMqnkv.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSgxVoBWIAAt5yE.jpg

Turns out that bundle was just the main menu 😛 This bundle is the first race track…
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSgyEGzWsAEmuln.jpg

No option of downloading these in the background, and then a notification when complete and ready to play?

CSgw2sCWoAACG_K.jpg

CSgw2g3WEAMqnkv.jpg

CSgxVoBWIAAt5yE.jpg

CSgyEGzWsAEmuln.jpg

Nothing really wrong with breaking up the downloads. PS4 and XBox One do the same thing. The question is how often will those bundles get purged by the OS forcing us to redownload them.

having to wait, what looks like 10 mins, to play a game does seem like a great user experience, but don't know what his connection is like.

Wtf mine didn't ship. I ordered next day as soon as they went up

Mine is still Preparing as well, and I paid for next-day also.

It's strange that Apple did a preorder but only guaranteed a range of dates; I don't remember that happening before. If I had known they'd be in stores tomorrow, I wouldn't have spent the money on next-day shipping, especially if I won't get it until next week. Ah well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Might see if the local Apple Store has one on hooked up to a tv. Mainly to check if it has hdmi-CEC this time.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Congrats on the release! Which game is that?

Breakneck, which is also on mobile. Kind of blends Race the Sun with elements of Wipeout and Split Second.

Was always intended to come across to Apple TV so designed to be scalable even before the platform was announced or known to us (we've been working on that platform for several months). Pretty quick download as it is only a couple of hundred MBs. There is iCloud syncing between mobile and Apple TV versions but we have some quirks to work out of that.

Trailer here http://youtu.be/bNrolcIADqs

For a long time. It's stupid. "Which part of the game do you want to download first? You can play around with this small part of the game that's actually playable off the disc while you wait."

That's not quite the same. PS4 and Xbox One allow you to play while it's in the process of installing or you can choose to wait until it's done. Never was there a point where it wouldn't download until you hit a point in the game. With the Apple TV, it doesn't download until there's a request to my understanding.

Breakneck, which is also on mobile. Kind of blends Race the Sun with elements of Wipeout and Split Second.

Was always intended to come across to Apple TV so designed to be scalable even before the platform was announced or known to us (we've been working on that platform for several months). Pretty quick download as it is only a couple of hundred MBs. There is iCloud syncing between mobile and Apple TV versions but we have some quirks to work out of that.

Trailer here http://youtu.be/bNrolcIADqs

Looks great! Reminds me of a cross between Wipeout and the second stage of the old vector Star Wars game.

Does the ship strafing use the Remote's motion control? If so, I'm curious what your team thinks about the resolution and reliability of the motion data (and how you dealt with it). Because the data we get lacks a gimbal lock, I've had to do some tricks to try to convert the data into smooth, non-glitchy player control when the Remote is moved. Not totally 100% yet.

Quasar

The fact that they pulled old devices that didn't already include their app means nothing, they said they were pulling all devices that might "confuse" customers because they didn't currently include the Amazon app. They still sell the Roku QHD which includes the Amazon Instant Video app. They weren't already on old Apple TV devices because those devices didn't allow third party apps, Apple would have had to have written the app for earlier devices.

Which is a crock.

I mean take the Nexus Player (one of the devices pulled). Its the Google Android TV device. That was pulled despite the fact that there are other AndroidTV devices and that Amazon made a Amazon Video app for the platform, they just have an exclusive deal with Sony so only the Sony AndroidTV devices are allowed the Amazon app.

Quasar

Got mine and set it up.

Initial impressions.

Virtual keyboard using the touchpad I find more cumbersome than the one from prior versions. Which made those apps that don't provide a pin to connect the AppleTV to my accounts a pain in the ass. Everyone should do that.

Siri/Universal search. Pretty crappy I'm finding. Beyond the standard typical siri failing to understand what I'm saying frequently, I'm finding (from a few searches) that if I search for something it does not always provide a netflix link even if netflix also has the thing. Which is a bit weird.

Computer. I really don't like that Apple did not create a new interface for accessing content on my PC. I find that really pretty awful, so I was hoping to see a nice new interface for that. Of course I guess now that I have a plex client (albeit third party today) I probably won't need to use that.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Looks great! Reminds me of a cross between Wipeout and the second stage of the old vector Star Wars game.

Does the ship strafing use the Remote's motion control? If so, I'm curious what your team thinks about the resolution and reliability of the motion data (and how you dealt with it). Because the data we get lacks a gimbal lock, I've had to do some tricks to try to convert the data into smooth, non-glitchy player control when the Remote is moved. Not totally 100% yet.

Right now it supports gyroscope on the remote or a separate MFI controller.

We are adding optional touch controls for the remote, which we should be submitting in a new update on Monday.

I don't really have specific feedback on the current implementation (and I'm on the road overseas so can't pop down to ask).

Phreaker

I just got an email that my Apple TV has shipped and will be arriving Saturday via FedEx, nice! (I picked free shipping, surprised it's being delivered on a Saturday.)

Right now it supports gyroscope on the remote or a separate MFI controller.

We are adding optional touch controls for the remote, which we should be submitting in a new update on Monday.

I don't really have specific feedback on the current implementation (and I'm on the road overseas so can't pop down to ask).
SteelSeries Nimbus the MFI controller to get as of now?

jstripes

Banned

CSgw2sCWoAACG_K.jpg

CSgw2g3WEAMqnkv.jpg

CSgxVoBWIAAt5yE.jpg

CSgyEGzWsAEmuln.jpg

tvOS 1.0

This is Apple's learning opportunity. Let's hope they use it.

btkadams

Does Apple Canada EVER do overnight delivery? I got a shopping notification with estimated delivery of next Wednesday. It's not a big deal, but it always puzzles me how long their shipping is for me in Canada.

Top Bottom