• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Vision Pro VR will start at $3499.

As someone who's been into VR for a number of years, these seem like evolutionarily improvements at best versus something like a Quest 3. Absolutely not 'a new product category', and not at all worth the exorbitant price IMO.

Sounds like something someone would've said about the iPhone 15 years ago or the Apple Watch 10 years ago.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Why? Why would you buy a first generation Apple product at that ridiculous price which will improve and surely price will only go down with the upcoming generations. Why would I eat that R&D cost?

Cyberpunkd

And people said the PSVR2 was expensive ! And you'll find fanboy telling 3500$ is a OK price because this and this and because it's Apple.
And look, there is a WIRE, nobody is making a drama thread yet like for the PSVR2 ?
The way for VR to become mainstream is not to market it as a way to play games, is it this hard to understand? Nobody cares about nerds shooting robots or aliens.

MrMephistoX

People so fixated on the price. Meanwhile, Apple getting involved is a HUGE step forward for the future of VR.
They really didn’t highlight how / if it actually can do fully rendered VR games with a high level of interactivity or just “immersive experiences” where you passively observe something in 3D and get to go along on rails. Would be awesome if it’s capable of doing a full game like Beat Saber or Astrobot but I feel like if that were possible they would have shown something. Does anyone know how successful Apple Arcade is? Because if it’s just that level of content I don’t think Occulus PSVR2 and Valve have much gaming competition. Every other application but gaming looks amazing though.

FunkMiller

Whats your point? How they choose to market this doesn't change the fact its going to accelerate VR development.

I very much doubt it. Nothing in the show was geared towards VR. It was all AR. Apple clearly want this to be a home computing system, not a VR headset. Why the fuck would VR developers choose this - which very, very few people will buy - over something like the Quest 3, which many millions will?

Cyberpunkd

I very much doubt it. Nothing in the show was geared towards VR. It was all AR. Apple clearly want this to be a home computing system, not a VR headset. Why the fuck would VR developers choose this - which very, very few people will buy - over something like the Quest 3, which many millions will?
You think anyone except hardcore early adopters will buy a VR headset? The only way for this to become mainstream is not to sell it as a fucking gaming headset.

Bartski

Gold Member
all comes down to how it all really looks when it's on your head, sweet spot, blur etc. I don't believe any of those bullshots and claims it will replace your tv but that is not to say it could really be next level good. I want to test it.

marjo

Sounds like something someone would've said about the iPhone 15 years ago or the Apple Watch 10 years ago.

Honest question, do you own any modern VR headsets? What, in your estimation, makes this such a leap over those? Things like the the Quest are already standalone, support markerless inside out tracking, hand gestures, etc.
The Valve Index has exceptional off ear audio, a wide FOV and supports high refresh rates. Everything here just looks like incremental improvements.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Apple is looking at the bigger picture here, they aren’t making a device for gamers at all.

This is just the start too.

nbkicker

Im getting to old for this, i was a apple fan before it became the inthing or iphones etc, but i just dont see the point in this thing, i like vr for gaming, but do not see the point siting with a headset on to watch a movie when you can watch it in better quality on yr home tv, then apple shows all these apps which u can just pick up yr iphone or ipad and use, and that price point just makes me laugh, even meta couldnt sell there vr pro at £1500 and is now heavily discounted

X-Wing

They really didn’t highlight how / if it actually can do fully rendered VR games with a high level of interactivity or just “immersive experiences” where you passively observe something in 3D and get to go along on rails. Would be awesome if it’s capable of doing a full game like Beat Saber or Astrobot but I feel like if that were possible they would have shown something. Does anyone know how successful Apple Arcade is? Because if it’s just that level of content I don’t think Occulus PSVR2 and Valve have much gaming competition. Every other application but gaming looks amazing though.

Considering it houses an M1 it has quite some processing power so fully rendered VR should be possible. Apple Arcade generates a lot of revenue and has some great games and Apple is working with publishers like Capcom to have native versions of games running on Apple silicon. Resident Evil 8 was one of the latest, during the show they also just announced Death Stranding... but it is not for hardcore gamers, and I don't hardcore gamers will ever be their target audience since they are not the ones generating the massive revenue they already make out of gaming.

darrylgorn

There's still a cable that connects to another piece of clunky hardware.

Sad No Way GIF by Sixt

Reallink

I would gladly pay Oculus or Valve $3500 for a headset with these specs and lossless wirless PCVR streaming, it's what Quest Pro should have been. I'd never pay this much to play mobile games or watch Apple TV in Apple's walled garden though.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why? Why would you buy a first generation Apple product at that ridiculous price which will improve and surely price will only go down with the upcoming generations. Why would I eat that R&D cost?

I mean, most folks with apple produts tend to keep them in good condition and just sell them used for a good amount. I sold my previous generation iPad for 80% the cost of the new one.

jmbgator

Neo Member
The price is definitely a head scratcher, but then again 65" OLED TVs were $10,000 a decade ago. It's a new product commanding a premium price... Prices will eventually come down as innovation improves on it, and they are able to get to scale. They'll introduce cheaper alternatives for mass audience.

FunkMiller

You mean like an iPad that didn't do anything your iPhone couldn't?

You're missing the central point here.... the big fucking googles strapped to your head. You have to sell that shit hard for people to want that kind of annoyance.

They singularly failed to do that by showing a load of AR stuff that can be done perfectly well with a PC or TV.

TheMan

I’ll dive into the info after work but so far this is the kind of tech that VR / AR needs to take off. And if it has the Apple polish all the better.

But that price is insane.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Right? They literally showed nothing I can't already do on a computer or TV.

The whole point of a VR headset is to do something new... not the same old shit, only with a big fucking goonish headset strapped to your face :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That’s because you are thinking about videogames.

This type of AR/VR for general applications will be much much bigger than gaming VR, which continues to be a pipe dream for nerds and nerds only.

Also “nothing I can’t do on my computer”, well that’s a take alright

Tomi

Loooool 3500$

I think apple thinks inflation was 80% , not around 10 this year
They are crazy...

Macaron

Banned

The AR focus is a fair point. AR/VR seem like fairly relative tech, but thats really an assumption tbh. But the biggest thing to me is that the largest company on Earth is now involved. Thats going to accelerate development across the entire AR/VR category as a whole, so long as this doesn't bomb so hard they pull out from continuing.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I mean, most folks with apple produts tend to keep them in good condition and just sell them used for a good amount. I sold my previous generation iPad for 80% the cost of the new one.
But the technology will only improve and competition will surely force the price down. It is a LONG way for VR. It will only get better and smaller and cheaper.

It's like every generation of GAF says the same thing about a new apple product reveal.
And its like every generation get caught with their foot in their mouth a generation later.
No, this just means that in your eyes they're good at sweeping failures under the rug.

Never fully trust anyone who tries to convince you that they always have a perfect batting average.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

$3499

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

And people said the PSVR2 was expensive ! And you'll find fanboy telling 3500$ is a OK price because this and this and because it's Apple.
And look, there is a WIRE, nobody is making a drama thread yet like for the PSVR2 ?

*EDIT*: See 😹😹😹
Come on. Lmao

The technology in here is next level stuff.

You can buy a more expensive gaming PC that does not even half as much as this. A 77” OLED is more expensive.

PSVR2 is like a fucking Fisher Price toy in comparison to this lmao. And all it does is play shitty looking generic VR games that Sony doesn’t even put its top tier studios on.

Be realistic.

Last edited:
I think this is an impressive first generation product, but it still feels like a solution looking for a problem. Being a completely new platform with a long road ahead of it to prove and establish itself, I think Vision Pro is a fascinating concept. This is clearly a product for a very specific demographic, certainly not the everyman. Wake me up in 8 years when the third generation is announced or Apple finally shows off their AR vision glasses.
i'll go further: it still feels like a beta of a solution looking for a problem...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That’s because you are thinking about videogames.

This type of AR/VR for general applications will be much much bigger than gaming VR, which continues to be a pipe dream for nerds and nerds only.

Also “nothing I can’t do on my computer”, well that’s a take alright

Well, they are correct. You can watch movies, take facetime, text, and code on a Mac and have multiple large screens open if you buy multiple large monitors.

But that is the thing, isn't it? You have to buy multiple monitors which can cost 500-1000 dollars depending on the quality. Then you need to buy the PC. Then you need to buy the mouse and keyboard and other accessories. With this, supposedly all you need is the headset and a cheap bluetooth keyboard. All in a small form factor.

Top Bottom