• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Vision Pro VR will start at $3499.

Cyberpunkd

In the long run, their concepts obviously won't fail, because across the board AR/VR apps will be improved. However the product itself could still fail even if they do help move the landscape forward...BUT this isn't the future. Right here right now, they have priced it way too high and haven't given any reason for average consumers with phones, laptops, and computers a great reason to buy a 3499 device. They have, however, given their competition plenty of reasons to improve their own headsets for a 4th of the price.
Or maybe, just maybe the products are not targeted at poor people?

Rob_27

Hang on you have to have it plugged in or use a battery pack on a cord. Wtf who designed this. Jeez. Wait for v2

This shit DOA, even for Apple nuts this is insane. Good luck getting and or keeping developers on board with this thing with it Maybe 20,000 adopters

35cent

*looks at username*
Lisa Simpson School GIF by The Simpsons

rofif

Banned
This guy will get it.
I am here, unable to buy used car that is younger than 10 years...

And then there is this guy picking up his "meh, maybe I will get rid of it" 94' supra.... in a ferrari.
And that detailer is so expensive, he gives the guy performance tires for free.

Then there is me who got 2k$ in bank account...

Last edited:

E-Cat

The Vision Pro is the Model S of Apple's VR ecosystem. Small production runs to get in the hands of developers, pros, and early adopters. As the tech and ecosystem matures they'll release their Model 3 for something like $1500 and then everyone will have one.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Hardcore Apple user here.
  • MacBook Pro
  • Mac Studio
  • iPad Pro 12.9
  • 4 pairs of Airpods
My initial reaction to this device is “no.”

I think it could flop pretty bad.

The intial shock is one thing. but if you think about it... its like a macbook pro with the best goggles ever. Still overpriced for the everyday consumer, But as bad as you would think concidering all the parts.

Fbh

The device looks high end and will probably be way better than all the cheap headsets.
But I'd never see myself spending that much on something like this, call me in 5-10 years when you can get something like this for $1000 and I might be interested.

Normally I'd say DOA but it's Apple so I actually think it will sell well.

I wanna see Tim Cook work a labor intensive job for a week. Like laying down a new asphalt road or a linemen up on a power pole or you know what would be fun, watching him go through selection or hell just basic training for the army would be fun to watch.

Trogdor1123

Well, price is just silly of course but the device itself is pretty impressive. I like the battery solution too if it was a bit longer. More headsets should do that with the battery.

dem

Does it run like... MacOS? How does that work?

I see its VisionOS...

I feel like there is a lot of unanswered questions

Ammogeddon

I’m excited and optimistic about the potential of VR/AR. The technology on display here was pretty impressive.

The presentation was a typical glossy Apple affair. It certainly felt like some bull shotting was taking place so I look forward to a hands on opinion.

If you’re complaining about the price and don’t have the money or interest in getting one, don’t worry, it was never meant for you.

I’ve been loosely following rumours on this thing for ages so was aware it was going to be expensive and not targeted at the general consumer.

I’d never buy a first gen Apple product and I’m grateful to those who have the money to beta test them for me.

There absolutely will be a mass market, cheaper version down the line.

I don't even care for Apple one way or the other but you're burying your head in the sand if you can't see that this product is in a whole different stratosphere than PSVR 2. It's not even really the same product category.

It's got it's own extremely high end processor, it's own fully fledged OS, an external curved OLED display, greater-than-4k internal displays for each eye, etc.. etc.. etc..

They've thought of literally everything.
And all that for a cheap price of 3449, the lines before the Apple stores wil be a mile long.Step in fooks let that cash roll in😉

Or maybe, just maybe the products are not targeted at poor people?
Like many things in life, this isn't just either/or. There are levels to this. If someone upper middle class or lower high class doesn't buy this device, it doesn't make them poor. It's a smart decision because they will quickly realize it will be a novelty device that will collect dust shortly after purchase.

Apple's battle isn't just to sell this to average consumers, but also to the millions of consumers who already have VR interest or own VR devices like the Quest and also to workplaces that are within the apple ecosystem(since this device was advertised just as much for work as it was for pleasure).

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
12ms round trip latency is kinda bad for gaming, isn't it?

For the price it looks to big and clunky, them not showing the battery pack is deceiving. In a couple of generations, when they reach the size of skying googles and internal batteries I'll be interested.

edit:
They dont even show the battery on their web side lol - 2h runtime is super sketchy.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I did not think anyone would ever manage to beat the utter stupidity that was the presentation of HoloLens... but somehow Apple managed the impossible. This must be the worst tech announcement I have ever seen, and not by a small margin. I really want my 40 minutes of life back. What an absolute, unmitigated trainwreck.

Those who hype this turd deserve to be mocked more than the NFT bros.
... and probably are the same people.

Fx4m9vPXgAAeULG

Last edited:

Crayon

In the airplane segment on the commercial, was that a nob that blended from the passthrough to the vr surroundings? That's brillant. Also, the reverse passthrough showing your face is great. I'll definitely be visiting an apple store for a demo. That's the only way I'll get to try it... Pity no games, though.

dem

Meta needs to step up their passthrough vision ability ASAP.... because with the way Apple was selling theirs... I'm sure its perfect.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that there aren't more companies putting out crazy expensive doo-dads because there is a sucker born every minute.

It would be cool if MS would release Xbox games for it and let you play it like you would on a flat screen tv.

VR games are meh, but VR acting as your TV would be awesome.

stranno

I assume this is not VR capable at all. I guess they just spend the resources drawing some shit over a 3D footage of the room. Using the M2 chip, looks like a big waste of hardware to me.

Last edited:

dem

I assume this is not VR capable at all. I guess they just spend the resources drawing some shit over a 3D footage of the room. Using the M2 chip, looks like a big waste of hardware to me.

Um.. no.
This is a VR headset with cutting edge cameras/displays to make the passthrough perfect.

There is absolutely no reason this wouldn't be an insane VR headset. It's just software.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I did not think anyone would ever manage to beat the utter stupidity that was the presentation of HoloLens... but somehow Apple managed the impossible. This must be the worst tech announcement I have ever seen, and not by a small margin. I really want my 40 minutes of life back. What an absolute, unmitigated trainwreck.

Those who hype this turd deserve to be mocked more than the NFT bros.
... and probably are the same people.

Fx4m9vPXgAAeULG

Says the clown who still defends Scam Citizen.

Rob_27

Just enable 3d movies on it from store and sony would have to do the same on psvr2 and hopefully blu ray. Or even kick-start a new 3d movie era. I can wish.

theHFIC

I don't buy first generation Apple products after lessons learned years ago, but a rev 2 will definitely be on my radar. When factoring in the price, remember there are a lot PC people (probably even here) that pay 2/3rds the cost of an Apple headset for their graphics card alone only to play buggy ports of console games on their overall more expensive Windows box. I spend a little more and get a completely new platform.

Now it just needs to survive the first generation.

Tunned

So during video calls everyone will be staring at half your eye, your forehead (assuming there is a camera inside the device), or won't see you at all? OR everyone will look at what a wanker you are, as you talk to everyone infront of your webcam (or phone camera) wearing that on your face.

Diddy X

All VR ever needed to reach the masses was the Apple logo on it and I don't own a single Apple product but those look like a sure sold out.

I mean, most folks with apple produts tend to keep them in good condition and just sell them used for a good amount. I sold my previous generation iPad for 80% the cost of the new one.
That thing wil be scalped like hell, they will be rare to get, you will see them on all marketplaces possible for a few 100 dollars more, but hey Applelovers will pay cous......the want it..because, come on its an Apple

I wanna see Tim Cook work a labor intensive job for a week. Like laying down a new asphalt road or a linemen up on a power pole or you know what would be fun, watching him go through selection or hell just basic training for the army would be fun to watch.
He’s 62 years old….. like this is approaching elder abuse.

Top Bottom