• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you ashamed of being a gamer/nerd in public?

Marvel

could never
Nope, got a retro street fighter T, Hadouken hoodie and Kojima productions T too. Own what you love.

kirby_fox

Banned
Nah. I'm more annoyed at being seen as a gamer/nerd because of people who try to relate to me when knowing nothing about it.

People like to assume that if you're a nerd or gamer, you're into certain things. Trying to explain to them that I'm not is just tiring.

Nesther

So where does Gaf buy "tasteful" video game clothes? Most stuff I see are always blatant (1-UP etc) and does not look very nice.
I like the subtle stuff.

jacobeid

Banned
It's ok, i got you virtual friends on gaf where i can talk about games :p

Well, welcome! :)

To answer OP, no I am not ashamed of being a nerd in public. That being said, I don't go out of my way to show it. I own some gaming shirts but they tend to be designs that don't shout VIDEO GAME SHIRT and even then I'll wear them casually or to the gym.

I work downtown in a major city and make it a point to dress well daily, and by the time that I got to college I made sure that to have good fashion sense pretty much all of the time that I'm in public. I keep my hair styled with a fade, long beard, tall, etc. so even if I were to wear a gaming shirt on the weekends, I guess I just don't really care what people think about me. I have a good job/career and have an active social life and hobbies outside of gaming and so I'm not embarrassed about my enjoyment of games because when it comes down to it I'm just trying to please myself.
kappa
How people react can't be my primary concern.

It has worked pretty well so far.

Which is really curious.

I mean, I don't really hear the same things with sports fans, or book fans, or others.

I don't want to generalize and stereotype but really, sometimes I have these notions of those kinds of "gamers". Suffice to say, I assume you're talking about young tween/teen gamers as well.

It has happened often enough for me to stop sharing that with people I meet. As for them being teens no. I am nearing my 40's hehe. It's unfortunate. But like i said not everyone is like that but it was enought for me to simply not be open about that, and it's weird since it always happened when I talked about games with those people.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
My wife didn't know I played games until 6 months after we started dating.
My previous jobs or my now career don't know about my gaming.

Being in my 30s, a lot of my friends do game but nobody talks about it because we are all career focused and know the damage it could do.
My career is filled with older people who still feel gaming is juvenile. Gaming will remain hidden until that changes.

I would never consider wearing clothing that has gaming stuff on it, but then again my causal wear is business casual and gaming clothes don't really fit well there. I do have gaming T-shirts that I would wear camping/lounging with my wife though as long as I knew pictures wouldn't hit social media.

De_Marco

I am well in my thirties and generally I am not ashamed. Really love my hobby and I have been gaming since the early Atari Days. It was always part of my life and part of who I am as a person. All my friends and family know about it, no problem for me at all.

But on the other hand I am teacher and I know I would lose a lot of respect, if my students knew that I spend a lot of time playing video games and that I have over 10000 trophies. ;)
It´s often funny when I hear them talking about games.
I remember I couldn´t resist a few years ago and made a comment about a game they were talking about, but honestly it was a mistake, because from then on they brought the subject up in class several times and always asked about my PSN name. I´ve never told anyone and also responded with platitudes, but sometimes I would have loved to kick their asses in Call of Duty or Battlefield. ^^

Tain

eh I think he's being honest and I get where he's coming from

I wouldnt give people a weird look about the stuff they like, but i'd definetly have an opinion about someone who is constantly projecting media and (like I said) basing their whole personality or outside persona on some specific thing someone makes and they just like

id never treat them differently or anything, but I personally think there's ussually a level of maturity attached to that sorta thing and an eventual realization that you're a much more complex person than a reflection of what you enjoy and that "participation" becomes kind of an invitation to be seen a bit shallow

above all that tho i'll always have a "people can do whatever they want as long as it doesnt hurt others" and thats all dandy, just my personal opinion on how I apply it to my own self

this sums up where I'm at
For reference, these are the gaming shirts I own (second is in grey rather than red):

Both of these I have no qualms about wearing in public if I'm feeling super casual. Wouldn't wear them on a date or anything, but then I do have fashion sense.

Dude that Makaimura shirt

Nope not ashamed, I'm proud to be a nerd and a gamer.

I occasionally wear game and geek shirts to work, besides other shirts that have a funny or beautiful print.
I get more questions and discussions about the other shirts than the game shirts.

There are colleagues with the same hobby, but I don't discuss games much with them as I don't like to discuss about specific games and their interest isn't big enough to engage in a discussion about the medium.
We play regularly together though, on and off line.

Krujo

Banned
I never understood people that judge other on their hobbies. Who gives a shit and move on with your life. I find that if I have friends who complain about what someone is wearing or if their doing something out place in public(like dancing,singing) I usually don't stay friends with them. I got more important stuff to worry about them what some dude or lady is wearing or doing.

It's really sad state we live in where everyone is so judgmental on what people do but then again I guess this kind of shit has been going on since the time the first cave man decided to wear his Sabre tooth tiger scarf in the summer.

I would like to add that I have gotten weird looks while at a bar once reading a retro gamer magazine or playing my vita at the gym while on waiting for the bench to be free. I just laugh it off because I'm having a great time reading a magazine while drinking whiskey. I often go the bar during the rush hour to avoid traffic and go in to read and drink and wait for traffic to die down. Granted this only happened to me twice since the first time some dude came up to me and called me a straight up loser reading a magazine about video games and another was a girl who said something about how I would've gotten her number if I wasn't to busy being a child playing with my Nintendo at the bar.

But there was one shy guy in line that really got ashamed.
"Eh? Why would you care what stupid people think? =/"

But more than anything, I hate when non-gamers ask me what my Vita is.

"What kind of phone is that?"

"What kind of phone do you have?"

"Did you get a new phone?"

Then having to find the shortest assembly of words to simply explain what a Vita is to somebody who doesn't really care and will struggle to understand it.

EDIT: People keep replying to this as if I don't know how to explain it. I do. That's not the point I was making. My irritation comes from the frequency of the misunderstanding and the regularity people ask.
I find the shortest amount of words is typically, "It's basically the 'PlayStation Portable 2.'" That's usually met with something like, "Oh, cool! But, it's not a phone though? Like, you can't text with it or anything? I've been playing Game of War on my phone. It's pretty fun."

moomoo14

The only video game stuff I wear is subtle, mostly because that's what looks cool to me. Otherwise it just looks like a good laming ad to me.

But people certainly know about my gaming hobby of I know them. Granted, I'm 20, so its more accepted, since most people play video games on some level these days.

There's no reason to feel shame unless you truly value the opinions of the people giving you shit, and why in the world should you put any stock or value in them?

If people are that petty to judge and shame you for something as trivial and harmless as wearing a gaming t-shirt, there's no point in giving their judgments the time of day.

Life is too short to worry about that kind of nonsense. Enjoy yourself.

Sober

So where does Gaf buy "tasteful" video game clothes? Most stuff I see are always blatant (1-UP etc) and does not look very nice.
I like the subtle stuff.
You kinda just have to go through catalogues and separate the wheat from the chaff. There's some really good ones but then they're also mixed in with the really obnoxious "look at me, I'm a gamer!" style shirts. It's also up to you to decide what exactly is subtle and what isn't though.

dcassell

Banned
I love gaming, but I also understand that it's a topic that tends to alienate people in some circles of conversation. A lot of my friends don't play games, so we end up talking music or film or one of many other topics instead. My friends also know that I don't care at all about sports, so they won't bring it up around me. My biggest pet peeve is people just yucking it up with video game and geek culture to people who aren't on the same level as them.

I work with a guy who caught wind of me playing Minecraft in passing once. I told him, "Well, I mean I've tried it. It's alright, I'm not super into it though." And now it is the only thing he talks about at work to me, pestering me to log onto his server and join him on teamspeak. I've rejected his offers a couple times since I haven't had a ton of time to play games, but he refuses to quit talking about his server, his mob-spawners, and the loads of mods that his team is gonna try out that night. I mean, I appreciate that I have a co-worker who is into the same realm of stuff that I am, but I'd be lying if I said that it didn't bug me at times. That drilling of your likes into other people gets to me the same way that people fishing for compliments does. I don't hate anybody for it, I just notice it.

If you're into that, that's seriously awesome. I'm really happy you're into your stuff. But not everybody needs to know all about it if they send social signals for you to just stop. Just do your thing!

As far as situations in the general public, I just try to play it cool. I have no reason to express how much I like my hobbies to people, and really only talk about them if somebody brings it up with me. I'm fine playing games in public if I have a really long time to wait, but I usually engage in something else like music or netflix if it's just a half-hour or shorter period of time. In college I definitely carried around a Vita and played Persona 4 between classes, and if anybody asked about it I just told them what I was doing. I think there's a line between just playing games and owning it as your hobby, and playing games while wearing game gear, drinking mountain dew, and being really sucked into the consumerism that the industry pushes.

But that qualifies for any medium. Music, movies, TV, and books all have their superfans. If it makes people happy, I'm glad they're into it and I hold nothing against them.

pelican

No, I do not care.

Don't hide it at work. Someone might come into my office to see me and if I'm having a quiet 5 mins browsing GAF on my monitor it remains there.

Why would anyone feel ashamed of a hobby they enjoy? Lack of confidence?

I'm not ashamed but I don't really flaunt it either. That's kind of why I like wearing my New California Republic shirt when I'm just hanging out. It references a game but doesn't scream "GAMER! WE GOT A GAME HERE!"

Aroll

Ashamed, hardly? I run a fairly popular The Legend of Zelda fan site and it's extremely common to see me out in public wearing all kinds of various Zelda attire. I even have a LEgend of Zelda bathrobe, though naturally that's not something that often leaves the home. It's no different than when I wear sports shirts or jerseys IMO. I am really big into some video games (like Zelda), so I have Zelda attire. I am big into sports, so I have sports attire. No one seems to ever be looked down upon for wearing sports attire, but I do get some funky looks at times for wearing gaming attire.

But none of it bothers me. I get complemented on my Zelda gear fairly often because not a lot of people in my area wear gaming gear unless they are in Highschool or younger. I can imagine to them, it would be like wearing an Iron Man T-Shirt you would normally see kids rocking, but rarely see adults wear. It doesn't make you childish, but it does make you stand out and if people think you're trying to stand out on purpose instead of being yourself, it can really bother them.

So no. I identify as a gamer everywhere I go. I'm going to a Midnight release of Madden 16 tonight and I may wear gaming gear, my old Madden attire from the last tournament I was in, Zelda stuff just because <3 Zelda, or I'll rock a Green Bay Packers jersey. None of it should matter. None of it.

Be who you are, don't let the world dictate to you who you should be and what you should wear. Now, are there situations I will AVOID wearing gaming gear or sports gear? Of course. Those situations usually involve times when you need to "dress up". Such as wearing a suit, or going to a wedding. Even then, you can have some subtle nods (triforce cuff links are something I need in my life). But it's more or less - you're dressing up for the occasion, rather than wearing your typical day to day clothes.

I have some non-gamer stuff I wear day to day too - currently just rocking a blank soft blue T-Shirt. But I rarely go day to day contemplating if I should put on my Zelda shirt, my Madden shirt, my Green Bay Packer Shirt... BRewers... Assassin's Creed... etc. I just don't think about it like that. If I feel like wearing it, I put it on.

I'm a gamer and I'm proud of it. I'm a sports fan and proud of it. I'm also a father of 2 (will be 3 at some point this week) and proud of it. I'm 29, I work a pretty decent (not great pay, but enough) job, have a house for my family, cars, tv's, internet, satellite (direct tv), etc. We live a pretty good life (Just need a new riding lawnmower,. our lawn takes almost 4 hours to push mow).

Be who you are. If others want to be judgemental and look down upon you for it, that's their problem. I don't look down on someone for having a lot of piercings or tattoo's in areas that can't be hidden. I personally wouldn't do it, but who cares if someone else does? It's their life, let them live it.

Jakoo

Yes and no.

I have no shame playing my 3DS in public. That being said though, I don't own any gaming related clothing to speak of because it's just not really my style.

I never wear video game shirts in public, as far as I go into pop-culture wear is basically a Jurassic Park shirt, Captain America logo, etc.

As far as portable systems and the like, I regularly play my 3DS on the train or in line for some events and nobody ever seems to bat an eye, hell, it's thee purpose!

My girlfriend always embraces my "nerd"-isms and is slowly getting into my love of film and playing some games with me so as long as I have the approval of her and my family and friends, the outside world never really bothered me.

Not to sound like an ego-maniac or whatever but generally, ever since I was in high school I've been a generally attractive, fit, tall guy with a social personality who gets along in different social circles so whatever bias or stereotypes are generally associated with "nerds", I suppose I've circumvented and proven that they're false for the most part.

I'm sure if I owned a Halo shirt or something I would wear it proudly with no consideration but like I said, just from what my fashion sense is, generally T-Shirts are something mild like a Venom logo which is really common nowadays anyways.

gulaktig

Neo Member
No. At least not that much. I'm a 23 yo girl from Italy, I'm not ashamed of talk about videogames or wear something nerdy. I have to say that I'm also not the type of gamer that wears often many many t-shirts or accessories related to vidya. The only thing I sadly can't do for now is playing games when I'm on the subway, train etc. Probably because I think I would easily attract people' looks. But I think I just wanna change this behaviour because fuck that, why should I be afraid to play with my 3ds on public transport? Anyway there's so much people my age that play videogames that maybe it's not even a problem nowadays for us to have this passion/hobby. Sorry if there's broken english.

jstripes

Banned
I love video games, I've been playing them for 30 years, but I don't consider myself a "gamer".

I've never really ben ashamed of it in the past, I used to sport a Nintendo messenger bag, but the shrieking hordes of the past year have opened my eyes and made me feel really icky being associated with "gamers" in public.

anothertech

If people are that petty to judge and shame you for something as trivial and harmless as wearing a gaming t-shirt, there's no point in giving their judgments the time of day.

Life is too short to worry about that kind of nonsense. Enjoy yourself.
This is my stance completely. Why bother with the herds of trolls, when their opinion is literally worthless? Those should instead be avoided at all costs.

Life it too short. Too much awesome out there to not enjoy life fully.

Dunan

I really feel for people who can't pull out their Vita or DS on trains and buses -- that's what those handhelds were designed for! Where I live, Japan, people of all ages are using those devices on the train (though game players are outnumbered by Facebookers and Line users these days).

I have to admit, though, that there are some games that I, as an approaching-40 man, am hesitant to play in public. I enjoyed Ciel Nosurge on the Vita but would never play it on the train. Even Steins;Gate, with its anime atmosphere, is a little iffy.

Still, thanks to those ubiquitous mobile phones, we're in a golden age of handheld gaming acceptance. Go ahead and pull out your Vita and 3DS -- if anyone gives you the stinkeye, just ask the half-dozen people around you playing Angry Birds on their phones to back you up!

To be honest... There's not a single person in the world who I would willingly tell that I often browse and post on this website.

Like I have friends who like to play games. But even them I wouldn't say 'hey bro you gotta go see this thread on Neogaf'

And if they saw me browsing I would say something like 'yea there was *some news story* and while looking for more info online, I ended up here.'

Not proud to admit it, but there you go.

Why would I? Video games are more generally accepted as everyone plays them nowadays. Being a My Little Pony fan? That's the one I usually hide. :/

Cilla

Nah. I am openly honest with being a massive weeb. I like to wear gaming related things. I have a few simple tattoos up my sleeve based on things I like.. and I run a gaming blog that I publicly share on FB.

Can't stop this train!

MisterHero

I was preordering Amiibo one time. No one raised their hand when I asked if they had played Earthbound. Even the cashier who said all he wanted was Ness didn't play the game.

That said, one's perception of a gamer isn't final

The key is balance. I wear my nerd interests on my sleeve, but the key is to evaluate how interested the other person is when talking to them.

Also balance your discussions. Don't go overboard and overwhelm people with your knowledge unless they are engaged.

Also, don't be creepy.
this

To be honest... There's not a single person in the world who I would willingly tell that I often browse and post on this website.

Like I have friends who like to play games. But even them I wouldn't say 'hey bro you gotta go see this thread on Neogaf'

And if they saw me browsing I would say something like 'yea there was *some news story* and while looking for more info online, I ended up here.'

Not proud to admit it, but there you go.
Same here
But yeah i will still play my gameboy in public (where it isnt too sunny) and haters are alligators

Theodran

If people ask me about my hobbies, I honestly tell them that gaming is one of my hobbies, and I really feel no shame in it. In university, most people I hung out with didn't play games, but it didn't really affect me in any way. They didn't look at me in any other way than if I said that my hobbies were, say, rock climbing. I don't wear gaming gear while out, however (but I do often wear T-shirts that may be considered "geeky").

I really have no shame in what I enjoy. My wife totally understands it (she's a complete geek, too, but with a different focus), my parents don't mind, all of my friends are understanding, and if someone chooses not to interact with me for the simple reason that I play video games, then I consider it that person's problems.

I'm heavily into bar hopping these days in search for good beer, and I've gone to bars and talked with guys that didn't seem to be the gamer types but opened up to me once I said I enjoyed video games.

Screw the haters, man. Screw the haters.

Top Bottom