• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you ashamed of being a gamer/nerd in public?

Tigress

LOL.

You guys seemed to miss my emphasis. My point was that people weren't giving him dirty looks for being a gamer. They were giving him dirty looks for being a man-child. No one looks twice at a grown man going into a game store. Or a grown man wearing a Mario t-shirt. It was the total combination of circumstances in perfect alignment that projected a certain persona that people find off-putting. Even people within the hobby. And that persona can be found in literally any other capacity - hence my second example. It really has nothing to do with gaming whatsoever.

And you missed our point entirely. We weren't offended that you wree making fun of him for being a gamer.. we get that. We were offended that you seem to have this thing about insulting him because he wants to make sure to get something he wants and he had something to kill the time while he waited. And you seem to think that it is appropriate to then call him a man child just cause, wow, he happens to be doing something he obviously enjoys while he waits to be able to get something he enjoys. How surprising.

I guess it would be ok if he read the internet on his smartphone instead?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
No I'm not ashamed.

In fact I'm proud of being a gamer nerd.

Of course my identity isn't defined by the fact I play games.

zelda_link_no_face_mask_spirited_away.png

tumblr_lr25w5fJOJ1qdbp1ro1_1280.jpg

flcl_canti_zoom.png

No MGS shirts yet, but I'd jump on the Peace Walker symbol:

work.6516008.1.fig,gold,mens,ffffff.metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-symbol-black-v3.jpg

LOL.

You guys seemed to miss my emphasis. My point was that people weren't giving him dirty looks for being a gamer. They were giving him dirty looks for being a man-child. No one looks twice at a grown man going into a game store. Or a grown man wearing a Mario t-shirt. It was the total combination of circumstances in perfect alignment that projected a certain persona that people find off-putting. Even people within the hobby. And that persona can be found in literally any other capacity - hence my second example. It really has nothing to do with gaming whatsoever.

Man-child?? Pff

Because I was wearing a NES shirt?

Ok

HarryKS

Yes, very much. I don't talk about it. I pretend I don't play. I am not part of the generation who find it hip. There's a form of beauty to it. It's always been a refuge for outcasts.

fernoca

Getting older, I've been more "out" when it comes to gaming/Nintendo. My friends/co-workers say that my Facebook looks like it was the official Nintendo Facebook even. With the constant pictures and stuff I post about it. :p

Have Kirby, Mario, Pokémon, Splatoon shirts. Wear them constantly, but I also like wearing polos and shirts.

I don't care, younger I was bullied like no tomorrow for liking Nintendo/games, wearing glasses and been slim. Back then there weren't YouTube videos and hashtags about things getting better. XD

But my parents were always there, and even one of my mom's last gifts to me before passing away (I was 31 back then, 33 now), were Mario and Luigi keychains. And she was the one that introduced me to Nintendo.

I'm not an American (assuming this is mostly an American issue, right?), so it is somewhat confusing to me that gamer = nerd. Is that always the case? Is the 'gamer' culture a subset of a 'nerd' culture (or vice versa)?

In America it's seen as nerdy yes, also it's still seen as a kids hobby by some people.

For the most part those who still think that way are behind the times and not worth worrying about.

i wore a yugioh card shirt that I won in a tournament back in high school once. I was made fun of by the people that were usually made fun of by others. Thats the worst its ever been, I wanted to just walk out of school and leave. In general public now, I usually wear doctor who and video game shirts...I actually get a lot of compliments.

Not really ashamed of it. People that are close with me know I'm a Nerd, but I don't tend to nerd out with people so they don't know to what extent. I get all my nerding done on the internet and rarely bust out the nerd knowledge out in the wild.

Shenmue

Banned
I think this is only something people feel when they are young? Once you hit a certain age, things like what others think of you don't matter because you're self-confident and have a solid self-image of yourself.

To the younger people here that may feel this, I would say don't worry about it so much. Do what makes you happy (i.e. gaming) and you should never feel ashamed of something you love doing as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. If someone is going to perceive you as a "nerd" they'll do it regardless if you game or not, so let them think what they are going to think, it really will not affect you at all.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm 26, so I'm pretty much in the generation where everyone my age has some experience with video games. Not to mention I work in a software company with a bunch of engineers, I am relatively speaking not nerdy at all. :p

Krackatoa

I run fighting game and other gaming events. I don't think I'm allowed to be. If I looked hesitant, I think it would discourage the people who take the time to come out, since oftentimes they're looking for that normalcy of regular bob-joe social gatherings.

Roto13

I know for a fact that there's absolutely nothing wrong with being passionate about video games, so why would I care if some ignorant asshole thinks less of me for it? Everyone whose opinion matters to me is fine with it.

Too much goddamn self loathing among gamers. This thread is a lot more positive than I was expecting, because I've seen a lot of "I'm n-not a g-gamer or anything... baka...." in other threads from people with thousands of posts on the largest English language gaming forum on the internet.

LOL.

Bullshit it doesn't. Get out of here and go annoy someone else with your petty judgments.

I think this is only something people feel when they are young? Once you hit a certain age, things like what others think of you don't matter because you're self-confident and have a solid self-image of yourself.

To the younger people here that may feel this, I would say don't worry about it so much. Do what makes you happy (i.e. gaming) and you should never feel ashamed of something you love doing as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. If someone is going to perceive you as a "nerd" they'll do it regardless if you game or not, so let them think what they are going to think, it really will not affect you at all.

Young people are self conscious about everything.

LOL.

I'm in agreement with you. I'd feel similarly about a sports fanatic if, say, they brought around a small radio or TV with them and constantly stayed in check of what's going on in the game(s) they watch. Anti-social behavior is anti-social behavior, whether you're interested in books, TV, movies, video games, sports, whatever.

"Oh that dude? I don't talk to him, he seems kind of weird. He's the one whose always playing his game/reading that book/listening to music."

It's all the same shit, guys.

Nachos

Depends on the context. I'm not against it, but I'm just naturally going to be more reserved, unless I'm specifically at a convention or something. I don't want to broadcast my interests to the point of obsession, and I'm automatically wary of anyone who would use any singular hobby or interest as the basis of all or most of their identity.

If gaming is something you genuinely enjoy, great, but you should treat a part of what makes you tick as just that – a part. If you otherwise look like a functional member of society, whatever. Just don't wear anything tacky.

I don't think I really present myself as a 'gamer/nerd' in public, but that's because I like to dress in business attire and generally don't talk about things that disinterest those around me.
I dunno, I'm ready to do Mountain Dew showers and do bong rips from Dorito bags at the Gathering of the Gamers 2016.

I even put videogaming on my CV when applying for college and job LOL
I beg your pardon?

No. But I also don't wear it on my sleeve. I don't "identify" as a gamer.

But more than anything, I hate when non-gamers ask me what my Vita is.

"What kind of phone is that?"

"What kind of phone do you have?"

"Did you get a new phone?"

Then having to find the shortest assembly of words to simply explain what a Vita is to somebody who doesn't really care and will struggle to understand it.

Doesn't seem like a situation where you owe them any explanation.
"Oh, you can't make phone calls with it" would suffice.

Gbraga

What does "acting in a gamer way" even mean

Good question. I guess that's kind of the point, you really have to go out of your way to "be a gamer in public".

I'd like to think the customers I have to meet in my job don't know the kind of weird waifu shit I'm into just by looking at me. But if I go to a random person and start talking about how cute my latest waifu is, I can't blame them for looking weird at me.

I've been in a situation before where a person I didn't even know started talking to me about random games and asking me if I knew about them, and that was uncomfortable, to say the least. I don't know you, stop talking to me about your hobbies, go away.

I'm too ashamed to whip out the old vita in public, which is a shame cause I think it would be a good time killer on my daily commute

Ha, I wish shame was what stopped me from playing Vita in public, I'm just scared of getting robbed.

And you missed our point entirely. We weren't offended that you wree making fun of him for being a gamer.. we get that. We were offended that you seem to have this thing about insulting him because he wants to make sure to get something he wants and he had something to kill the time while he waited. And you seem to think that it is appropriate to then call him a man child just cause, wow, he happens to be doing something he obviously enjoys while he waits to be able to get something he enjoys. How surprising.

giphy.gif

Not at all - it doesn't define me as a person but it's one of the few things I can relate to total strangers over. I could know you for all of 5 minutes and have an hours-long conversation with you about Dark Souls or Pokemon if need be. I hate small talk so topics like sports or the weather are out.

Nope. I wear my bright yellow persona 4 Golden/arena shirt with a giant ass Teddie on the front in public all the time.

It also helps that I don't look 28.

Ogodei

I try not to wear my identity on my sleeve, but that doesn't mean i won't mention looking forward to things like the new StarFox or Star Wars if it comes up in conversation.

Depends on the context. I'm not against it, but I'm just naturally going to be more reserved, unless I'm specifically at a convention or something. I don't want to broadcast my interests to the point of obsession, and I'm automatically wary of anyone who would use any singular hobby or interest as the basis of all or most of their identity.

If gaming is something you genuinely enjoy, great, but you should treat a part of what makes you tick as just that – a part. If you otherwise look like a functional member of society, whatever. Just don't wear anything tacky.

I dunno, I'm ready to do Mountain Dew showers and do bong rips from Dorito bags at the Gathering of the Gamers 2016.

I beg your pardon?

on the hobby section, I mean

ktroopa

About to hit 40 and i still believe gaming is the definitive experience when it comes to relaxing. i love music and movies, but games just fucking rule. those who see it as a nerd thing are just too lame to realise what fantastic experiences await them. im talking about you Ocarina of Time :)

I'm in agreement with you. I'd feel similarly about a sports fanatic if, say, they brought around a small radio or TV with them and constantly stayed in check of what's going on in the game(s) they watch. Anti-social behavior is anti-social behavior, whether you're interested in books, TV, movies, video games, sports, whatever.

"Oh that dude? I don't talk to him, he seems kind of weird. He's the one whose always playing his game/reading that book/listening to music."

It's all the same shit, guys.

Calling it anti social behavior for wearing a gaming related shirt and waiting in line at a store is a bit of a reach.

And for the one post calling him a manchild is lol worthy he has a job and a son and just happens to enjoy a hobby.

Shenmue

Banned
Young people are self conscious about everything.

Yup. I think I was an odd one when I was in school and high school. I've never given an F what others think so I just did what I wanted. Way happier way to live not constantly trying to live a certain way worrying about what others think.

My friends all knew that too and would always say that about me too. I dunno about how kids are now, but my friends and schoolmates thought it was cool and I never got ridiculed at all about my hobbies or showing it.

I think the only people who would make you "ashamed" of something would be the bullies anyway. Those kind of people are going to pick on the people who they already sense are overly self-conscious. If they see that you couldn't give less of a crap what they thought they typically just ignore you.

I'm not ashamed, but it's not something I try to push into people's face. I try to be cognizant of when others are interested in what I'm talking about and when I'm boring them. And gaming bores some of my friends, so it just doesn't come up.

¯|_(ツ)_|¯

JeTmAn81

I feel uncomfortable playing handhelds in front of strangers in public. I wish I didn't. There's nothing to be ashamed about when it comes to enjoying games, but I think people still make stupid judgments about you when they realize you really enjoy games as an adult. I'm 34.

BibiMaghoo

I learned at a very young age, not to give a single fuck what other people thought of how I chose to spend my time or money. I suggest anyone that does care, take the time to achieve this, your life will be much happier for it.

Not ashamed. But most people are mediocre sheep who just think adults shouldn't play games because of reasons (?). So just out of the completely realistic expectation that people will judge me, i might just keep it to myself. Sometimes when they frown upon this hobby i will confront their ignorance with questions about why the fuck they don't play games and why i shouldn't. Most of these people are allready dead inside though.

People are some judgemental motherfuckers. And in most cases based purely on ignorance or fear.

Tigress

I have an NCR t-shirt and it's probably one of the more comfortable and fitting shirts I have. I'd buy a dozen if I could. And that's also not plainly obvious it's a Fallout shirt. I only got like a few questions about it when someone looked closely at it. Otherwise it looks just like a regular top with a California Republic flag on it.

It depends on if you want to wear what I call really obnoxiously gamer-y shirts that have dumb video game in-jokes written on them. I'll pass on those almost always.

I dunno... for me it's boring shirts I don't like. STuff that just says Fallout for example with nothing really clever, just the Fallout logo. I want it to be more interesting, like show something of Fallout and let the people recognize it if they know Fallout. Or be clever like a shirt I'm thinking of getting that has Calvin and Hobbes on it except Calvin is the fallout boy icon (can't remember his name) and Hobbes is a deathclaw.

I'm very upfront about my love for games, but my wife won't let me wear my gaming t-shirts.

I have a deep blue MSX t-shirt. Honestly, it's really ugly.

I have a Space Invaders t-shirt. It's red,very bright and... well, it's red. And it's very bright.

I also have a Shadowrun Returns t-shirt. It's black, but there is this giant goat head in it that makes me look like some sort of black magic weirdo.

I can't really blame her. I wish gaming tees were a bit more classy and less flashy.

pislit

In America it's seen as nerdy yes, also it's still seen as a kids hobby by some people.

For the most part those who still think that way are behind the times and not worth worrying about.

Ahh, I always find this kind of perception when it comes to people who, as they say, "still watches Anime" too.

People buried in their smartphones get shitty looks too. That's my fucking point.

I whipped out my N3DS at an airport one time when waiting for my flight. Am I supposed to just sit and twiddle my thumbs because of what strangers who don't control my wallet and time would think?.

No thanks.

sol740

I am never ashamed, and it never ceases to surprise me how many non-gamer friends there are in my few circles of friends. I still get the odd, negatively-shaded reaction about video-gaming in general, and it perplexes me that some of the most derpy stereotypes are still bandied about with alarming regularity.

Calling it anti social behavior for wearing a gaming related shirt and waiting in line at a store is a bit of a reach.

And for the one post calling him a manchild is lol worthy he has a job and a son and just happens to enjoy a hobby.
Maybe I misread his post, but it seemed largely a criticism of the guy projecting himself in a way that made it out to be like all he did and/or cared about was playing video games.

I wouldn't agree with criticizing someone for wearing a video game shirt or anything, I do it occasionally although I don't have many, but if someone can't sit still in public without whipping out a game, I think there's a social problem there.

Smokey

Dont really care. I threw on a Titan Black tshirt and ran to the store the other day. Dude came up to me and said "500w PSU in my rig bro" lmao.

stufte

People buried in their smartphones get shitty looks too. THAT'S MY FUCKING POINT.

Why do you care what other people do so much? Your judgement is unnecessary and only highlights that the problem is with you. Does it make you feel better about yourself to judge people in such a way?

fernoca

So most if not all "nerds" do play video games? It wouldn't be a nerd if that particular person is well-versed in let's say Shakespeare or TS Elliot and the Modernist movement, but does not play video games?
People aways mix things.
For example, one of the..well gropus of people that bullied me in school were...the "nerds". You know, the people that always have A+, cried when they got a B, made the best school projects, had the answers to everything, raised the hand first, and so on.

I was always average in grades, but because I looked like a nerd (glasses, acne, slim...hitting puberty!) and had Nintendo stuff all over my books, I was the one getting punched and pushed aside..because...NERD!! :p

Sadly, I still wear glasses and I still like Nintendo, and that kind of people grew up too and became went to college, work, etc. with me. Then throw the fact that I'm gay into ,the mix, and..yeah, kinda hard to make friends. But in a way, I feel that made me a bit stronger. Like I'm used to failure and dusapoointment so I can take it, while they get desperate at the mere sight of things not going well.

Top Bottom