• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ariana Grande (hugely famous musician) joins the battle in Final Fantasy Brave Exvius

Ain't gonna lie since the show Victorious I always said fuck everyone else that little clumsy one is pretty and will be huge once shes over 18.She sang once in awhile on the show but when she started doing youtube videos of her singing I told my wife singing is what will make her huge.

Nope turns out I was wrong its Final Fantasy thats gonna make her a household name.

Context for having NO CLUE who she is:

I don't watch "normal" TV and my prime form of Entertainment is video games. I'm 33 and I rarely listen to music and my girlfriend, who is a few years older than me, does not listen to pop and prefers things like Daft Punk.

All of my media consumption comes from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll, and MCU movies. I mostly get my news from Gaf, Kotaku, and Easy Allies for anything "media" related and I do not look up anything to do with celebrities, popstars, or whatever gossip is going on. I don't follow actors or musicians at all.

Not one of my circles of information crosses with her in *any* way due to me not paying attention to pop/music gaf.

The thing is, Ariana is not far removed from someone like Daft Punk now. They are more of a mainstream electronic act and Ariana does vocals for groups similar, like Cashmere cat.

I don't get the fucking high horse people have with music. Music is subjective, what you think is cool and trendy might not be to someone else. I'm not a huge fan of Ariana, but she isn't some talentless musician and she makes listenable pop songs. Not sure what GAFs issue is with pop.

Pop artists put out some of the best music of 2016, but some of you wouldn't know because you're so closed minded with music.

Nothing is untrue about my statements in regards to people in this thread, you included. I don't think you're the type that is open minded about music, with some of your posts in this thread. But like I said, it is subjective but you just seem to have an agenda.

Some of the best albums put out in 2016 by pop artists:

Carly Rae Jepson - Bsides
Cruel Youth - +33mg
Roosevelt - Roosevelt
Shura - Nothings Real
Solange - A seat at the table
Anohni - hopelessness

lol wtf the last artist I expected to be brought up here is Shura

Though I don't really consider her pop since she's all synthy and loud n tours with M83

lol wtf the last artist I expected to be brought up here is Shura

Though I don't really consider her pop since she's all synthy and loud n tours with M83

Pop music isn't confined to one single genre, nor is it by who she tours with. She is pure synth pop though. And amazing.

Servbot24

Banned
Nothing is untrue about my statements in regards to people in this thread, you included. I don't think you're the type that is open minded about music, with some of your posts in this thread. But like I said, it is subjective but you just seem to have an agenda.

Cruel Youth - +33mg
Roosevelt - Roosevelt
Shura - Nothings Real
Anohni - hopelessness

The best pop albums of 2016 are (imo)

Crying - Beyond the Fleeting Gale (this band used to make chiptunes so maybe video game nerds will relate?)
Kero Kero Bonito - Bonito Generation
Arianna Grande - Dangerous Woman
Carly Rae Jepsen - B-sides
Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom
Rosemary Fairweather - Heavenly

these are pop but go more into rnb territory:

Xenia Rubinos - Black Terry Cat
Noname - Telefone
Frank Ocean - Blonde

EDIT: Damn I didn't even mention Beyonce

diaspora

I like how when it comes to massively popular musicians people for some reason like to revel in and brag about their ignorance.

Nope pop music is all Bieber n Britney, no exceptions, botty told me so

Not even a fan of Britney but honestly the latest Justin Bieber album was pretty ace.

The best pop albums of 2016 are (imo)

Crying - Beyond the Fleeting Gale (this band used to make chiptunes so maybe video game nerds will relate?)
Kero Kero Bonito - Bonito Generation
Arianna Grande - Dangerous Woman
Carly Rae Jepsen - B-sides
Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom
Rosemary Fairweather - Heavenly

these are pop but go more into rnb territory:

Xenia Rubinos - Black Terry Cat
Noname - Telefone
Frank Ocean - Blonde

Shoot I totally forgot about Charli XCX, the SOPHIE collab is amazing.

Yeah, I'd also throw in Blood Orange - Freetown Sound even though it is more R&B as well with a mix of some pop and funk tracks.

Is this part of the 30th Anniversary celebration?? Lol

When are they doing that anyways? There is not topic and clearly they didnt do shit on the 31st

mAcOdIn

Cruel Youth - +33mg
Roosevelt - Roosevelt
Shura - Nothings Real
Anohni - hopelessness
My agenda was pointing out the contradiction in your two statements. Nothing more.

I'm totally open minded about music. This year, well last year, I've bought several albums from Bandcamp from new artists in genres I don't even know what they are. Now, I don't like most modern pop, that's true and I have a dislike for the stylistic use of autotune but that's it. I can't say I dislike all modern pop because I haven't heard all of it. I wouldn't even bother making the claim because even if I had better local radio they could never play everything, so to claim that I'd have to scour the internet every moment in my free time.

What I will say is I think statistics are important, as well as opportunity cost. If I dislike 95% of the pop music on the radio and that I hear out and about do you think that statistic would change if I continued to listen to the same sources of music and, more importantly, would that be a more efficient use of my limited time than going to internet stations I know I like, following recommendations and "you might likes" from artists I already know and getting recommendations from people who have similar tastes than myself?

Regarding pop, it's bigger than the top 40 and radio play, most of my gripes are with what's hugely popular, most of that sounds like shit to me. I think it's clear that to reach the very top of the charts things start sounding the same and that's great if it's your cup of tea, he'll if it ain't. But that apex of record sales is a small sliver of pop music as a whole. The Top 40 every month, those I can speak of, all of pop music, not a chance, I've prably heard like 5 percent of it.

And regarding autotune, sigh, sorry can't budge. Once it's made overt like Kanye or T-pain I might as well be listening to a vocaloid or running text through Microsoft Speech. Call that close minded if you wish but I can't stand it. I can handle that in a song or two but not a whole album.

After work I'll give your suggestions a shot, only Carley Rae Jepson gets play over here. She's alright.

Haunted

I like how when it comes to massively popular musicians people for some reason like to revel in and brag about their ignorance.
I suppose it's because celebrity culture isn't as pervasive in some regions of the world as it is in others.

And what I learned from this thread and similar ones is that not being aware of a thing or person someone else really likes is a big affront. Somewhat understandable I guess, since indifference can sometimes be worse than hate.

Tiops

Such a weird collaboration. Imagine the shitstorm if this were in a main FF game?

ydueR0s.jpg

Holy shit LMAO

Ishan

I vaguely know who she is what is this ff envious thing ? (Seriously no idea what that is . Her at least I've heard the name ... Some ff spin off didn't xv just come out ?)

Fushin

My students made me watch "Scream Queens" which has Ariana in it so I knew her from that. I doubt this will make them play a Final Fantasy mobile app though.

diaspora

I suppose it's because celebrity culture isn't as pervasive in some regions of the world as it is in others.

And what I learned from this thread and similar ones is that not being aware of a thing or person someone else really likes is a big affront. Somewhat understandable I guess, since indifference can sometimes be worse than hate.
Normal people Google unrecognizable names rather than posting "who?" to make sure others know that they don't recognize the singer.

Was that the purpose album? Man that thing was top notch Nd I wasn't the biggest fan of the guy before it.

Yep, Purpose. And I didn't care much for Justin until that album as well.

My agenda was pointing out the contradiction in your two statements. Nothing more.

I'm totally open minded about music. This year, well last year, I've bought several albums from Bandcamp from new artists in genres I don't even know what they are. Now, I don't like most modern pop, that's true and I have a dislike for the stylistic use of autotune but that's it. I can't say I dislike all modern pop because I haven't heard all of it. I wouldn't even bother making the claim because even if I had better local radio they could never play everything, so to claim that I'd have to scour the internet every moment in my free time.

What I will say is I think statistics are important, as well as opportunity cost. If I dislike 95% of the pop music on the radio and that I hear out and about do you think that statistic would change if I continued to listen to the same sources of music and, more importantly, would that be a more efficient use of my limited time than going to internet stations I know I like, following recommendations and "you might likes" from artists I already know and getting recommendations from people who have similar tastes than myself?

Regarding pop, it's bigger than the top 40 and radio play, most of my gripes are with what's hugely popular, most of that sounds like shit to me. I think it's clear that to reach the very top of the charts things start sounding the same and that's great if it's your cup of tea, he'll if it ain't. But that apex of record sales is a small sliver of pop music as a whole. The Top 40 every month, those I can speak of, all of pop music, not a chance, I've prably heard like 5 percent of it.

And regarding autotune, sigh, sorry can't budge. Once it's made overt like Kanye or T-pain I might as well be listening to a vocaloid or running text through Microsoft Speech. Call that close minded if you wish but I can't stand it. I can handle that in a song or two but not a whole album.

After work I'll give your suggestions a shot, only Carley Rae Jepson gets play over here. She's alright.

How do you feel about autotune when used as an instrument, like what Bon Iver or James Blake do? I think they use autotune to their advantage.

While I do enjoy some top 40, my pop music tastes are more in line with the subgenres.
And great about the recommendations, also give some of Servbots recommendations a chance too. Dude has good taste.

IronLich

I've been out of touch with music since the end of the 20th century, and even I know this name.

Wished I had a device that could play Brave Exvius competently, but Kindle Fire just doesn't cut it no more.

Koozek

Ohh, cool! I never played one of those Final Fantasy games, but I will check this one out now. I think I saw a trailer for one of them a few weeks ago with a car or something. Is it basically like Need for Speed with Anime people or more like GTA? Can you drive the car with Ariana or is she a NPC?

Kamitechi

Ohh, cool! I never played one of those Final Fantasy games, but I will check this one out now. I think I saw a trailer for one of them a few weeks ago with a car or something. Is it basically like Need for Speed with Anime people or more like GTA? Can you drive the car with Ariana or is she a NPC?

It's basically old school type ff with sprites and battles

Lylo

I've heard of this girl before, she is a good singer, her voice is a little too sharp IMO, i can't name a single song of her, but yes, she is famous and yes, she talented, just not my kind of music.

I find a little weird a real person becoming a Final Fantasy character, but that's just me, her fans will love it for sure.

I find a little weird a real person becoming a Final Fantasy character, but that's just me, her fans will love it for sure.

Well it remains to be seen if she's in the game as her actual, named real self, complete with fourth wall breaking, or if it's just some character with an outfit inspired by her bunny outfit. Gackt for example was in Dirge of Cerberus but not as himself.

SeanTSC

The thing is, Ariana is not far removed from someone like Daft Punk now. They are more of a mainstream electronic act and Ariana does vocals for groups similar, like Cashmere cat.

I don't get the fucking high horse people have with music. Music is subjective, what you think is cool and trendy might not be to someone else. I'm not a huge fan of Ariana, but she isn't some talentless musician and she makes listenable pop songs. Not sure what GAFs issue is with pop.

Pop artists put out some of the best music of 2016, but some of you wouldn't know because you're so closed minded with music.

Honestly I don't know shit about music in general. I wouldn't even know them by anything but their name if not for my girlfriend putting on music during sex. I watch random shit on Netflix and Amazon and never look up anything about the people cast in them. Their lives and names aren't interesting to me. I imagine that there's plenty of others who do the same thing.

Just context for all the people shocked that not everyone knows who every celebrity is. When you cut the cord from TV, don't see commercials and advertising, and only look up political and science news then you've stopped being exposed to a lot of stuff. It doesn't really mean you're living under a rock either. Since I'm not into music and have no traditional TV service my sources of information just do not cross with entertainers like her (and most musicians mentioned in this thread). Hopefully that makes sense to people.

Ariana's last album was quite good though.
But gaming side and music don't mix well, just have a look to the Run the Jewels reactions when they played during the game awards.

You'd probably get a "who?" if they'd announce the white Beatles to be in a game.

BTA

Especially on GAF where there used to be those legendary creepy Gif threads of her and Victoria Justice on the Nickelodeon show. Maybe they just need to post more gifs of her with the red hair.

1. Why does it not surprise me that GAF had a thread that creepy, welp.

2. Wait, that was her on that show? I knew her name was familiar when she started getting popular, but it's never clicked. My sisters watched that show and I never connected the dots. Huh. I had no idea.

1. Why does it not surprise me that GAF had a thread that creepy, welp.

2. Wait, that was her on that show? I knew her name was familiar when she started getting popular, but it's never clicked. My sisters watched that show and I never connected the dots. Huh. I had no idea.

That thread was creepy but to be fair they were already quite old in that show (20+) and probably not much younger if at all than the posters in that thread.

Ariana's last album was quite good though.
But gaming side and music don't mix well, just have a look to the Run the Jewels reactions when they played during the game awards.

You'd probably get a "who?" if they'd announce the white Beatles to be in a game.

That's true. I couldn't believe how many people were shitting on Run The Jewels.

Cruel Youth - +33mg
Roosevelt - Roosevelt
Shura - Nothings Real
Anohni - hopelessness

SOLANGE IS NOT POP!

Top Bottom