• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 3 live streaming today at 5 PM EST

DarkChild

Banned
Dear god no. Xenoblade has some godawful foilage.

Then again, I can't even recall a game that I'd consider having "good" foilage. Definitely something devs still struggle with.
RDR had awesome foliage. It was dense and it went to infinity. Trees looked 3dish too.

jett

D-Member

Then again, I can't even recall a game that I'd consider having "good" foilage. Definitely something devs still struggle with.

the foliage in that pic definitely looks better than what we are seeing of AC3 lolz. They both use simple bitmaps.

I personally always liked the foliage in MGS3. Dat 3D grass.

CrazyDude

1333752242-AC3_PaxEast_FINAL_Stereo_Low.wmv_snapshot_08.02_2012.04.06_23.52.09.jpg

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This is why they don't like leaked pics ect. Because gamers can't handle it.

I agree with this. This is the reason screenshots are almost always bullshit. Because still frames captured directly, even from the best looking games, don't look good. A raw screenshot is an invitation to pick at all the little problems with the visuals that you won't even notice while playing. (Not to say these are direct captures of the game. But if they're captures from a video of the game, the point stands.)

DarkChild

Banned
That character model looks damn good but those environments not so much. AA seems pretty fucking nice. We need a video.

jett

D-Member
Those are direct feed? The quality looks way too low.

They are captures from a video. The guy releasing them could release the entire freaking thing, but he's being a dick about it it seems. :p These pics are making the game look awful. Nevermind that they're stretched to 1080p.

Derrick01

Banned
This is why they don't like leaked pics ect. Because gamers can't handle it.

I mean I'm just reacting to what I'm seeing here, and what I'm seeing is almost like a Wii version. It looks like a LOT was compromised just to have a bunch of guys on screen.

But I'm not going to make any actual judgements until I see a HD video.

DarkChild

Banned
The guy who has the video could get a job in PR department of industries top developers.

Guys, its a fucking screen cap from 1080p video. What kind of idiot takes those!?

I mean I'm just reacting to what I'm seeing here, and what I'm seeing is almost like a Wii version. It looks like a LOT was compromised just to have a bunch of guys on screen.

But I'm not going to make any actual judgements until I see a HD video.
Best thing we can assume is its Wii U version with photoshoped PS3 buttons because it looks pretty bad.

People need to remember this game comes out at the end of October, they will fix the weird looking ragdoll and all other small problems I bet.

Irish

New one, can't link tinypic.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topi...eed-iii-pax-east-demo-premiere-thread-?page=8

Bcs color is fucked up in guys screen caps. It looks more colorful.

SjnU3.jpg

and another quote from that thread:

Gameplay Video -

It takes place during the Battle of Bunker Hill. You mission is to assassinate British General Pitcairn. It begins by walking through a group of American soldiers being pumped up by what seems to be a high ranking officer. Connor walks through them and walks into the battlefield with hundreds of soldiers firing at each other. Connor can only advance between rounds of firing. Connor sneaks by the soldiers and traverses through trees and rock climbs and fights off a few enemies with some awesome dual wielding combos and flanks the enemies and enters the British encampment. Connor goes running into the camp and perform a continous assassination onPitcairn which means he will kill 2-3 people between him and the target but he'll never stop moving between killing those guys (hatchet to the back of the head of one guy and push him away, then hidden blade the next guy and roll forward off the kill and then kill the general ala typically AC).

Impressions -

GT wasn't lying about the animation system. Imagine Uncharted in an open world game. He'll slide, swing, jump under/over branches, run across branches like the trailer, free scale cliffs by putting his hands in the cracks, react to explosions, change his posture according to where he's standing like near a wall and even between branches/trunks. Combat is really fluid and dual wield is awesome. You really get the seem that Connor is a hunter and one with his environment. The trees don't look too prebaked (you can kinda tell where you can begin) and do resemble real life trees in the sense that its never really a straight shot and doesn't look like jump a little to the left and then a little to the right. You'll jump on a 45 degree log and run up to another and swing to another and land between a trees trunk (V shaped trunk) and then jump to another branch and run up that branch so you can then free climb a cliff.

That officer is Israel Putnam, by the way.

Petrichor

Direct feed screenshots are always misleading. This is one from Uncharted (universally hailed as one of the best looking games this gen) for comparison:

uncharted-drakes-fortune-20071107053248937.jpg

Things always look better in motion.

Tenck

Better than this washed out screenshot we have though. I can actually see some green.

Irish

Not sure if the dude is just fucking with the contrast or not at this point. Of course, these do resemble the earlier shots in color tone though.

KKRT00

Direct feed screenshots are always misleading. This is one from Uncharted (universally hailed as one of the best looking games this gen) for comparison:

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/833/833632/uncharted-drakes-fortune-20071107053248937.jpg[IMG]

Things always look better in motion.[/QUOTE]

In 2007...

Direct feed shots from PC games - [url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457378[/url]
God of War 3 direct feed shots - [url]http://imgur.com/a/wweVs#0[/url]
GT 5 - [url]http://imgur.com/a/NKmA7#0[/url]
Killzone 3 MP - [url]http://imgur.com/a/7aEVr#0[/url]

Direct feed shots are good indicative of games graphic quality.

demolitio

Wow, those pics look like Empire: Total War mixed with AC. Totally what I wanted to see. Much like Total War, they have to make some sacrifices on the details of the soldiers since there's so many on screen but they still look good in the heat of the moment.

This game is probably my most anticipated game this year and that says a lot. All the previous AC games were good but I wasn't craving for them at launch and usually waited until Christmas. This one is a must for launch day.

Irish

Still, screen caps from an offscreen video are not direct feed. Of course, I'm not saying that is what you are arguing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

[IG]http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/833/833632/uncharted-drakes-fortune-20071107053248937.jpg[/IMG]

Things always look better in motion.

No one thinks Uncharted 1 is one of the best looking games of the generation.

And these shots are kinda weird. The quote about the Oblivion mod was strangely accurate.

Irish

Woahwoahwoah.

Is he taking cover/peering out from cover here? That would yield boner.

Yes. There is a cover system in the game.

• Stealth is more important than ever, what are Connor’s abilities that enable him to become the ultimate predator thanks to stealth?

We have a lot of new stealth features which are a lot of fun. You can now take cover against walls, and Connor will automatically adjust to hide when a guard approaches, which also leads into a new assassination move from cover. We also added the ability for Connor to hide in tall grass or bushes: if you walk through these areas he will automatically crouch allowing you to move undetected when approaching enemies. And if you’re in a city and you see any group of people in the crowd performing an action like painting a house or cleaning, if you approach slowly Connor will begin mimicking their actions to hide amongst them.

Yes. There is a cover system in the game.

Thanks, dude. That is fucking RAD news. A greater focus on stealth is something that this franchise has always needed and a cover system is the perfect place to start. God, the potential here is ridiculous.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm surprised that a cover system finally made its way to Assassins Creed but it a welcome addition. The previous games were frustrating in that respect despite their little stealth meter system. I never felt like I could hide from anything and just always ending up fighting my way through missions. Hopefully its not like other stealth games where one person spots you and every enemy on the map suddenly knows where you are.

Zeliard

I'm surprised that a cover system finally made its way to Assassins Creed but it a welcome addition. The previous games were frustrating in that respect despite their little stealth meter system. I never felt like I could hide from anything.

Didn't matter since they were never really built around true stealth. Hopefully that's different now, and stealth becomes a useful option as opposed to being able to just murder everyone with barely any effort (which is fun, but damn the AC games are easy).

Top Bottom