• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

~Kinggi~ said:
Beat the game quick before AC:B comes, you arent very far away.

Also if the campaign is really long in the new game why bother waiting?
well my understanding is that it's not nearly as long because of the focus on MP. I just don't think I have the patience for a mostly stealth based killing game. I need dual enforcers and crazy jump-flips and heavymetal music and seizure-educing lights. I also assume I'll sucka t it and game aren't fun when you lose :lol

~Kinggi~

Banned
BobTheFork said:
well my understanding is that it's not nearly as long because of the focus on MP. I just don't think I have the patience for a mostly stealth based killing game. I need dual enforcers and crazy jump-flips and heavymetal music and seizure-educing lights. I also assume I'll sucka t it and game aren't fun when you lose :lol
Well lets put it this way, guys who have the game in this thread are hinting its a very long game, and if you think AC 2 is an amazing game im sure youll love AC: B. You dont have to play multiplayer.

Plus after you beat AC 2 you're gonna want the next game.

DrBo42

BobTheFork said:
The SP just as long as AC2, if not longer. You can play the multiplayer like a running lunatic, but you won't get many points.

DrBo42

Anyone see the new commercial here? My apologies for the double post.

Edit: GamesRadar has released a "7 sickest ways to kill in ACB" piece, here. Includes in-game shots of the Romulus armor I posted earlier. CONFIRMED, bitches.

dwebo

I wish I had bothered to sign up for the uplay rewards in AC2 before trading it in. 100%'d the damn thing too, so I probably could've gotten everything I would've wanted in AC:B right off the bat. Damnit!

DarrenS

T3 is a "consumer electronics" magazine a bit like Stuff. I doubt very much that they've actually had release code to review.

Given that I expect the reviews to be very good, I wonder why Ubi embargo reviews until release date.

Varth

So it seems like we have the first proper review around.
92/100, if you're interested (1 point more than AC II).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
DarrenS said:
T3 is a "consumer electronics" magazine a bit like Stuff. I doubt very much that they've actually had release code to review.

Given that I expect the reviews to be very good, I wonder why Ubi embargo reviews until release date.
They did the same thing with AC2 last year. I guess it works for them that way.
At least it gives me some more time to complete the game before reviewing it :)

DrBo42

Blimblim said:
When does your review go live?

Varth

DrBo42 said:
Which publication?

Edit: Yeah, what that guy said. :lol

PlayGeneration, Italy.

b4aa8ede24948dfbc6aece8dca99a0cc.jpg

Ellis Kim

Banned
I wonder if that joystiq leak for Raiden was the only (and intentional) leak "announcement" for the skin. I would hope that they would do like a youtube clip with gameplay and a Kojima cameo.

DarrenS

Blimblim said:
Completing the game before reviewing it? Hmmmmm...you may just be on to something there but I doubt it will ever catch on. :D

Varth

DrBo42 said:
Do you have any info or bulletpoints from the review, Varth?

Well, I was the one who wrote it. I guess I could share a couple bits from the closing comments, since the issue is on sale already:

+graphics are slightly more polished than ACII
-overall graphic impact ("wow factor") is obviously lessended, although things like standing on top of the Colosseo will leave you breathless
+all the new stuff is very well integrated into the established mechanics (fast travel, horse, quick kills, city recovering, brotherhood rectruiting, side quests and so on)
-still very easy (but combat is more rewarding)
-a little bit shorter if you go for main story only
+actually longer if you go for all side quests (not counting feathers and collecting)
+while far from perfect, multiplayer feels very fresh and original, takes the single player experience online in a competent way

Hope it's enough.

DrBo42

Much appreciated, thank you. Would you say it's the best entry in the series yet? My main fears are the performance of this one, and how easy the brotherhood assistance makes the game.

Dennis

Banned
PC version get. In 2011.....

At this point I can only laugh at this pathetic attempt to force people to buy console versions by simply withholding the PC version.

And don't say piracy - the 360 version usually leaks before the PC version....

But AC2 was great so I am sure this will be too. Rome will look stunning I am sure.

Varth

DrBo42 said:
Much appreciated, thank you. Would you say it's the best entry in the series yet? My main fears are the performance of this one, and how easy the brotherhood assistance makes the game.

I actually laughed when I read the T3 comment, but after reflecting on it, yes, you could say that. However, some could argue that for the impact, story and added variety of the scenery, ACII has an edge.

EDIT: as I said, it's no more difficult than ACII, but it never got to me as a problem. I would have really liked some kind of "hardcore mode", anyway.

dwebo

Thanks for the impressions, Varth. By side quests do you mean similar to the odd jobs in AC2 (assassinations, races, etc.) or are they more fleshed out with stories and what not?

Also, I wonder what sort of convoluted reason they'll come up with this time for collecting even more feathers. After getting the terrible reward for all that work in AC2, it'll take a lot of convincing before I want to do that crap again :lol

Blimblim

The Inside Track
DarrenS said:
Completing the game before reviewing it? Hmmmmm...you may just be on to something there but I doubt it will ever catch on. :D
Well considering how long that one is (I'm not just doing the main story, and the number of side quests is *huge*) I don't think many reviewer will manage to 100% that one before the embargo date. I don't plan on doing a 100%, but completing the main story is certainly possible.
Embargo is on tuesday at 6PM CET, so 9AM PST I guess.

Varth

Blimblim said:
Well considering how long that one is (I'm not just doing the main story, and the number of side quests is *huge*) I don't think many reviewer will manage to 100% that one before the embargo date. I don't plan on doing a 100%, but completing the main story is certainly possible.

I think it's impossible to 100% it without a guide, actually. It's a LOT of stuff. For reviewing purposes (killer deadlines on year end issues :\), I skipped almost all the assassinations missions and feathers, and concentrated on the "story related" stuff. Leonardo missions, 100% secondary objectives to unlock the flashback missions, city rebuilding, romulus vaults and so on.

DrBo42

Varth said:
I actually laughed when I read the T3 comment, but after reflecting on it, yes, you could say that. However, some could argue that for the impact, story and added variety of the scenery, ACII has an edge.

EDIT: as I said, it's no more difficult than ACII, but it never got to me as a problem. I would have really liked some kind of "hardcore mode", anyway.
Thanks again.

Varth said:
Well, I was the one who wrote it. I guess I could share a couple bits from the closing comments, since the issue is on sale already:

+graphics are slightly more polished than ACII
-overall graphic impact ("wow factor") is obviously lessended, although things like standing on top of the Colosseo will leave you breathless
+all the new stuff is very well integrated into the established mechanics (fast travel, horse, quick kills, city recovering, brotherhood rectruiting, side quests and so on)
-still very easy (but combat is more rewarding)
-a little bit shorter if you go for main story only
+actually longer if you go for all side quests (not counting feathers and collecting)
+while far from perfect, multiplayer feels very fresh and original, takes the single player experience online in a competent way

Hope it's enough.
YES !!! I LOVED the side stuff from AC2 so if their is more of it GREAT ! :D

Varth

Loved this comment

Well it is set in Rome and this is a review by an Italian mag.... so they might have got a bit carried away.

Come visit virtual Italy while some of its monuments are still standing! :lol

KdoubleA

I just pre-ordered a copy from my local Gamestop and I got Issue #1 of DC's Assassin's Creed: The Fall. Caught me by surprise...I had no idea this was a bonus :D Didn't see it mentioned in the OP.

DarrenS

Blimblim said:
Apparently it's going to be playable from Monday 15th at certain HMV stores in the UK.

http://www.electronictheatre.co.uk/...f-assassins-creed-brotherhood-prior-to-launch

So, expect my review to be up Monday afternoon. :D

Massa

So... is it true there's a lot more Desmond in this game? How does it stand on its own for people who never played AC before, story wise?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I still haven't played AC2 because AC1 was so awful, but I may bite on this one for the MP. It's a shame that Ubi hates the PC though.

AT least it comes out next week, I may have more money by then. Everything looks really good; the feeling I got from much of the media was that this was either a half game, or $40 or MP only. Maybe the coverage has been a bit skewed because this isn't AC3

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
SapientWolf said:
I still haven't played AC2 because AC1 was so awful, but I may bite on this one for the MP.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa.

Play AC2. It's a massive step up from AC1. And if you don't play it, you'll be lost as hell playing Brotherhood's single player.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SapientWolf said:
I still haven't played AC2 because AC1 was so awful, but I may bite on this one for the MP. It's a shame that Ubi hates the PC though.

I liked 1 despite the repetitiveness and no subs. 2 apparently fixes both of those, so you should give it a shot.

conman

SapientWolf said:
Here's the basic rundown:

AC1: Better story and structure.
AC2: Better missions and variety.
ACB: ?

Personally, I greatly prefer AC1 to AC2 (I hate how meandering the plot is in AC2, and its lack of mission structure), but most folks see AC2 as a radical improvement. YMMV. Regardless, the multiplayer alone seems like a justifiable reason to give ACB a shot.

Ranger X

conman said:

Personally, I greatly prefer AC1 to AC2 (I hate how meandering the plot is in AC2), but most folks see AC2 as a radical improvement. YMMV. Regardless, the multiplayer alone seems like a justifiable reason to give ACB a shot.

More like..

AC1: average game. some people like.
AC2: better in every thinkeable way. Most people like.

Dead

well not really...yet
conman said:

Personally, I greatly prefer AC1 to AC2 (I hate how meandering the plot is in AC2, and its lack of mission structure), but most folks see AC2 as a radical improvement. YMMV. Regardless, the multiplayer alone seems like a justifiable reason to give ACB a shot.
Man, the structure is the WORST part of AC1. AC2 is indescribably better in that aspect.

conman

Ranger X said:
AC1: average game. some people like.
Love it or hate it, "average" it isn't. I can understand how some people were disappointed, but it's far from average, no matter where your opinion falls. Hard to think of a single game it even mildly resembles in terms of its story, design, structure, and setting.

Dead said:
Man, the structure is the WORST part of AC1. AC2 is indescribably better in that aspect.
But there is no "structure" in AC2!

Mifune

Mehmber
The structure of AC1 is great. It's the same types of missions repeating over and over within that structure that's the problem.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
conman said:
But there is no "structure" in AC2!

You're confusing "structure" with a repetitive set of expected criteria before you advance to the next assassin mission. AC1 goes like this. A portion of a city is open. You check in to the Assassin's Guild. You are told to investigate. You climb the view points. You do anywhere from 3 to 6 missions depending on how much of a completionist you are. These missions come from a very small pool of possible missions. You either eavesdrop, pickpocket, interrogate, collect flags, or stealth assassinate. You check back in to the Assassin's Guild. You are given the contract. You complete the contract. YOU DO THIS 8 MORE TIMES. The whole things stinks of something that was created in a couple months.

AC2's structure is much more organic. The number of missions types are much more varied. There's no set number of missions you have to complete. It's not a super rigid, defined set of criteria that have to be checked off before you do another assassination.

To use a programming metaphor, AC1 is organized like a "for" loop that iterates 9 times. AC2 is much more like a complex tree or state diagram. It's not that AC2 lacks structure, it's just not as predictable or repetitive.

Top Bottom