• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)

Varna said:
Does the game being played affect the battery life? I remember when Etrian Odyssey came out a few people at the Atlus boards were saying their DSL's were getting shorter then normal battery life out of the game (perhaps had to do something with the game running at 60 frames).
Yes, it does. That's one reason why the battery life is listed as ranges and not one nailed down number. Playing GBA games uses less battery power than playing DS games on the Phat and Lite. Playing 2D games uses less battery power than playing games with polygons. The more system resources are used, the faster the battery drains.

So: does anyone know where I can get conveniently formatted lists of all the demons from each Megaten game? I want to figure out exactly how many different total demons the series has had to date.

HK-47 said:
Plus there is cooler stuff they need to put in first.

Such as?

Yaweee

charlequin said:
So: does anyone know where I can get conveniently formatted lists of all the demons from each Megaten game? I want to figure out exactly how many different total demons the series has had to date.

http://www.popanime.net/megami/wiki/index.php?title=Demonic_Compendium

Not really "conveniently formatted", but it might be the best you're going to get.

EDIT:

I undoubtedly miscounted at least a bit, and included all entries including a few that are obviously in explicable ("Shadow Eikichi", etc.), but I counted 669 demons/Persona across the entire SMT series.

Yaweee said:
I undoubtedly miscounted at least a bit, and included all entries including a few that are obviously in explicable ("Shadow Eikichi", etc.), but I counted 669 demons/Persona.

Yeah, it looks to me like this list doesn't include P3/P4/Raidou 1/Raidou 2/Devil Survivor, but it seems pretty clear that counting everything there are over 700 demons in total in the Megaten universe.

Varna

charlequin said:
Yeah, it looks to me like this list doesn't include P3/P4/Raidou 1/Raidou 2/Devil Survivor, but it seems pretty clear that counting everything there are over 700 demons in total in the Megaten universe.

I would say a good 200 of them are probably something like. Yakuza and Zombie Soldier... those shouldn't count.

Yaweee

charlequin said:

It's just downright patchy, I think. Lucia, Io, Orpheus from P3 are there, and her only appearance at that, but very few of the other story persona are listed. It's a wiki, so it might as well get expanded.

Varna said:
I would say a good 200 of them are probably something like. Yakuza and Zombie Soldier... those shouldn't count.

It isn't that high, and a lot of them can be fused. They may have spoken gibberish in Persona 1+2, but you can fuse a lot of them in some of the other games (The Soulless Army and the like were special accident fusions in Raidou 2, for example). I actually spot-checked quite a few of the entries, and I'd probably peg the non-recruitable/non-fusable entries as less than 30 on that list.

It's kind of interesting to see the normally cheap Atlus going ball to the walls in a single game, making the largest number of demons available, over 200 more than the only other SMT game on the system, AND making them animated. There's not a chance in hell Atlus doesn't have extensive plans for DS in mind.

Yaweee said:
It's just downright patchy, I think. Lucia from P3 is there, and her only appearance at that, but very few of the other story persona are listed. It's a wiki, so it might as well get expanded.

What I really want is, like, a spreadsheet with demon names along the left and then cross-tabs for every game so you can see at a glance exactly where they've appeared. And now I'm desperately trying to resist the temptation to compile it myself when I get back from my trip....

It's kind of interesting to see the normally cheap Atlus going ball to the walls in a single game, making the largest number of demons available, over 200 more than the only other SMT game on the system, AND making them animated. There's not a chance in hell Atlus doesn't have extensive plans for DS in mind.

Yeah. Going through the trouble to animate them makes it absolutely certain, I think, that Atlus are planning to do quite a few more DS titles with these assets.

Yaweee

charlequin said:
What I really want is, like, a spreadsheet with demon names along the left and then cross-tabs for every game so you can see at a glance exactly where they've appeared. And now I'm desperately trying to resist the temptation to compile it myself when I get back from my trip....

You could either expand an existing Wiki into a more useful format (like by creating a page devoted to demon lists for each game, then using the auto-linking to back compile the list from the other end), or you can use a wiki style spreadsheet. I don't know of any good sites, but I'd contribute if there were one out there.

EDIT: There actually are full Demon compendiums on that wiki for each game, but they just haven't been integrated with the main list for some reason.

duckroll

Well, I asked charlequin to confirm, and there are indeed 200+ demons in both SMT2 and Soul Hackers. They just got more economical with demons after that, partly because of Persona's gameplay (no demons in party), and partly because of the migration to 3D with SMT3. Now with SMT:SJ being a "return" to the roots of the series and being 2D again, I guess they can afford to make the "next gen" SMT sequel that would have come after Soul Hackers if they didn't go 3D instead. Lol.

duckroll

Found more pics on the mobile site! All the characters and their Demonica Suit artworks. :D

4fyipc.jpg

vmsns8.jpg

foyn7.jpg

2u434uu.jpg

charlequin said:
Yeah. Going through the trouble to animate them makes it absolutely certain, I think, that Atlus are planning to do quite a few more DS titles with these assets.

Yeah. I was shocked (as well as relieved) to see the enemy sprites animate in the trailer.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
charlequin said:

Such as?

I'd like to see some African mythology or more of the Ars Goetia. And some more fairy tale and folklore references. I'm surprised the Baba Yaga hasnt been in a SMT game yet.

fallagin

Quick question. Is it confirmed whether you can actually see things before standing on them or does everything look blank like in smt 1&2? That gets really confusing if you are looking for anything. I'm glad about the map though, that will help alot.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Using the powers of Wikipedia, I learned that each Etrian Odyssey took 4 months from the JP to NA release, Devil Survivor took 5 months and Persona PSP took 5 months. Spring 2010 seems like a solid time frame.

Yaweee

Atlus USA's current schedule is the sparsest it's been in a very, very long time. Just Demons Souls, Persona PSP, and that 101 Gamez nobody cares about for the rest of the year, followed by Trauma Team and Shiren 3 middle of next year.

HK-47 said:
I'd like to see some African mythology or more of the Ars Goetia. And some more fairy tale and folklore references. I'm surprised the Baba Yaga hasnt been in a SMT game yet.

I agree with needing to see more non-Egypt mythology, but the Ars Goetia? Over 30 of the pillars have been in SMT games.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Those helmets look like fancy versions of the head-in-a-jar things that you see in Futurama.

Aeana

NichM said:
How so, ooc?
It seems like there's going to be quite a bit of interesting dialog and story with your teammates. It's something I didn't actually doubt would be there, but seeing actual proof makes it easier to believe in anyway.

It would be nice if some company would localise 7th Dragon for North American release. That would make the wait for Strange journey pass by all the more quicker.

duckroll

jaundicejuice said:
It would be nice if some company would localise 7th Dragon for North American release. That would make the wait for Strange journey pass by all the more quicker.

I dunno, I expect that Strange Journey will be out in the US way before 7th Dragon.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yaweee said:
Atlus USA's current schedule is the sparsest it's been in a very, very long time. Just Demons Souls, Persona PSP, and that 101 Gamez nobody cares about for the rest of the year, followed by Trauma Team and Shiren 3 middle of next year.

I agree with needing to see more non-Egypt mythology, but the Ars Goetia? Over 30 of the pillars have been in SMT games.

I actually went through the wiki and realized a ton of demons in the Goetia are there, its just most of them were only in the early SMTs and got dropped when Nocturne came out.

NichM

Banned
This thread reminds me: I was digging through an older thread about Devil Survivor and found this from duckroll:

duckroll said:
jaundicejuice said:
If it's repurposing the EO engine I just hope that Atlus takes the time to animate the enemy sprites. I love the speed of the EO combat system but if DQIV can have some wonderfully animated enemies and retain its speed so can the next Etrian Odyssey or whatever this game turns out to be.

That would.... cost money! You do realize this is the same developer that has been using largely the same enemy models for all the 3D games since 2003 right? :lol

Elsewhere in the thread, he's unaccountably convinced that Devil Survivor will be a CoM/BD+ style RTS and that the only reason Meguro would be going into the studio to do vocal tracks is for a FES edition of P4. Not one of his more prophetic days. :lol

Top Bottom