• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)

duckroll

The Devil Source system is certainly interesting, and it reminds me a little of the Skill Set system in Devil Survivor. It's really nice to see Atlus continue to get creative with the fusion/demon systems to give the players more options. I wonder if this system means you can't choose which skills to inherit like in Devil Survivor. They haven't really mentioned that part of the fusion system yet....

The Devil Source system sounds like it's going to be fun to play around with. I wonder if it's a one time only item or something more permanent.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I suppose Devil Source sounds like a suitable and balanced replacement if you can't choose which skills a demon can inherit... sounds like it could be a fusion of custom inheritance and the magnetite gauge.

Error said:
New scans are out and the info...

[05:39] <~duckroll> [17:36] <duckroll> when your demons level up
[05:39] <~duckroll> [17:37] <duckroll> at some point they will have a gift event
[05:39] <~duckroll> [17:37] <duckroll> like in Persona
[05:39] <~duckroll> [17:37] <duckroll> but
[05:39] <~duckroll> [17:37] <duckroll> they will give you their devil source
[05:39] <~duckroll> [17:37] <duckroll> which is one of their combat spells
[05:39] <~duckroll> [17:37] <duckroll> and you can use this source to put it into any other demon
[05:39] <~duckroll> [17:37] <duckroll> to create normally impossible combinations
[05:39] <~duckroll> DEVIL SOURCE
[05:40] <error1> omggggggggggg

FUCKING MEGATON!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
duckroll said:
The Devil Source system is certainly interesting, and it reminds me a little of the Skill Set system in Devil Survivor. It's really nice to see Atlus continue to get creative with the fusion/demon systems to give the players more options. I wonder if this system means you can't choose which skills to inherit like in Devil Survivor. They haven't really mentioned that part of the fusion system yet....
I don't see why they take that out. Even with the random skill inheritance thing, there were some demons that just flat out couldn't learn some skills. Basically an ice-based demon couldn't learn any fire-based spells. I guess the devil source thing takes care of stuff like that.

jj984jj said:
I suppose Devil Source sounds like a suitable and balanced replacement if you can't choose which skills a demon can inherit...

Not really. The random skill assignment is really just a fundamentally bad mechanic because there really is no reason you can't get any possible combination (i.e. one that doesn't involve skills that can't transfer or transfer together), but sometimes to do it you have to sit there clicking OK-cancel-OK-cancel-OK-cancel-OK-cancel for a bajillion years. Any result that isn't bounded by skill in any way, only by the player's willingness to sit there doing something mind-numbing, should be replaced by a similar automated system. I'll be pretty disappointed if they back away from letting you pick your own fused skills in this one.

Error

The random skill inheritance is just there to prevent you from creating overpowered demons, personas etc.. etc..

Instead if you want a really good persona/demon, you need patience... Ask Scarlet.

Notice how the super good personas in P4/3 often involve more than 3 personas fusion, and they gimp you a bit by making a really low level persona one of the ingredients for the fusion. So you end getting shit skills like zio show up in the skill sets. :lol

I wouldn't like if you have TOTAL control, to be honest. I think that would cheapen the game, since you can always include the best skills. Having the option to include one spell/skill in a fusion is great, just one skill can make a pretty big difference.

Devil Source feature sounds a lot like the Spell Cards in P2.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
charlequin said:
Not really. The random skill assignment is really just a fundamentally bad mechanic because there really is no reason you can't get any possible combination (i.e. one that doesn't involve skills that can't transfer or transfer together), but sometimes to do it you have to sit there clicking OK-cancel-OK-cancel-OK-cancel-OK-cancel for a bajillion years. Any result that isn't bounded by skill in any way, only by the player's willingness to sit there doing something mind-numbing, should be replaced by a similar automated system. I'll be pretty disappointed if they back away from letting you pick your own fused skills in this one.

Agreed, though Atlus has been pretty go about refining mechanics and moving forward with those mechanics.

Error said:
The random skill inheritance is just there to prevent you from creating overpowered demons, personas etc.. etc..

But it doesn't prevent you from creating overpowered demons.

I wouldn't like if you have TOTAL control, to be honest.

You do have total control. You can make any demon that's got a tiny possibility of coming up as a fusion possibility for your starting demons, it just takes a long time. "It takes a long time" isn't a good balancing mechanism.

Error

That's not really true. A devil arcana persona will never learn a hama spell for instance. An ice based persona like jackfrost will never learn a fire spell.

You do have total control. You can make any demon that's got a tiny possibility of coming up as a fusion possibility for your starting demons, it just takes a long time. "It takes a long time" isn't a good balancing mechanism.
I disagree with this. The system rewards players that have patience. If you have total control, then that just makes it TOO easy. It'll feel cheap as hell to me.

Look at Raidou 2. You had control over passive skills, and that made the game a total joke in difficulty. Now imagine having total control over skills... hm, yeah no thanks.

Error

HK-47 said:
Regardless, its just a time sink. Surely they can create a better system.
The game doesn't tell you to sink time if you want to make ultimate persona/demon, that's your decision. You don't need to sink time to make good personas, but making great personas takes effort and time.... I like that to be honest.

Yaweee

Error said:
Look at Raidou 2. You had control over passive skills, and that made the game a total joke in difficulty. Now imagine having total control over skills... hm, yeah no thanks.

Raidou 1 didn't have inheritance control, and it was also way too easy. That's more a result of a really bad battle system than a result of the fusion mechanics.

Now look at Devil Survivor. That offered even more control at inheritance. Was its difficulty a joke? Not really. Devil Survivor's fusion system was well received and didn't result in the huge imbalance that some people predicted.

Error

Yes, but Devil Survivor doesn't have a compendium. You gain total control over skills at the expense of having no compendium.

Coxswain

Error said:
That's not really true. A devil arcana persona will never learn a hama spell for instance. An ice based persona like jackfrost will never learn a fire spell.

I disagree with this. The system rewards players that have patience. If you have total control, then that just makes it TOO easy. It'll feel cheap as hell to me.

That's the point though; you already DO have total control (within the bounds of inheritable skill/demon types) if you have 'patience'. It just turns fusion into more of a soulless, mindless timesink/grind than just grinding levels to begin with. If there's a problem with the 'best' skills being overpowered on a properly fused demon, the goal should be to eliminate overpowered combinations, not just make them into huge grinds to achieve. Rebalance overpowered skills, use a point-buy system for chosen skill inheritance based on skill power, etc. There are plenty of ways to improve the system without going backwards and Atlus's designers are skilled enough that I'd like to see them keep being progressive rather than fall back on shitty, outdated mechanics that take away the player's influence outside of blind luck and mindless repetition.

Error

Maybe they want to make this truly old school and there's no skill inheritance. Everyone owned :eek:

My point is that is it wasn't a grindfest, unless you chose to. The game doesn't require to have an overpowered persona, it's your choice to do one. Besides the only personas that took a long while to make are those that involved more than 3 personas fusions, that's when random skill inheritance got really ugly because one of the ingredients will be a low leveled persona with shit skills.

Nocturne never gets that frustrating because it's mostly demon x demon fusions. Heck in Raidou 2 I was making demons with the skills I wanted in less than 2 minutes.

Coxswain said:
That's the point though; you already DO have total control (within the bounds of inheritable skill/demon types) if you have 'patience'. It just turns fusion into more of a soulless, mindless timesink/grind than just grinding levels to begin with.

Exactly!

Megaten's all about strategically confronting each battle challenge, not grinding, so I shouldn't have to grind my demon fusions either!

(One reason I like this Demon Source idea a lot is that it would let Atlus take a fairly strong stance against some combinations in normal fusions, but then still give you a special, unique way of creating a few lucky demons with those combinations.)

duckroll

Chrono Helix said:
Then again it might just lead to grinding for Demon Sources to get the skills we want instead of spending time in the fusion menu.

As opposed to grinding newly fused demons to get their higher level spells before going back to the fusion menu?

duckroll

Here are some pics from the mobile site, since Famitsu's website has failed to update, and we don't get the official site update until tomorrow:

25iq63m.jpg
2qjyqee.jpg

2whlcex.jpg
1y49zd.jpg

fxdqpv.jpg
6o1xro.jpg

duckroll

Taking the negotiation screenshots from Famitsu, and moving through each of the 4 screens for both scenes very quickly with an image viewer, I noticed that it actually kinda animates too! The Momunofu sprite has some minor breathing animation, and the ribbons on his spear move like the wind is blowing them. Pretty cool!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
GOTY 2010 (Well I guess it's GOTY 2009 for those who are lucky enough to be able to play the Japanese version. :p)

Varna

Ah what the fuck man? One of those characters has my last name. I usually use it my name for these games. :lol

EDIT: My God, I want this game so bad.

I'm with jaundicejuice, this is the last time you guys see me in here.

As excited as I am for Strange Journey I don't want to over-saturate myself with information about it. I'm not going to be able to play it for months and would prefer to leave as much mystery in the experience as possible. I've seen enough to know that I want the game.

duckroll

Man, I only just noticed that the demon sprites actually all have shadows, and the shadows animate as well! Pretty awesome detail. :eek:

Error

jaundicejuice said:
As excited as I am for Strange Journey I don't want to over-saturate myself with information about it. I'm not going to be able to play it for months and would prefer to leave as much mystery in the experience as possible. I've seen enough to know that I want the game.
I don't thinkt here's anything really new revealed so far, well the suit stuff could be counted as new. The other stuff is mainly things we have come to expect from MegaTen games.

Delio

I know i am pretty excited for this game. Course i will have to wait for the american version. I cant wait for more gameplay videos once this comes out.

Error

They fixed the names of the other characters. Official names are: Gore, Jimenez and Zelenin.

This latest video really shows off how nice the sprites really are. The first few just looked like they were animating with just a few pieces being moved around, but the pixie is really nicely animated with her wings flapping and everything. (Plus the shadows, as duck mentioned.)

Hobbun

Well, started my Intro to Japanese class last night. Wish me luck!

Maybe I can learn enough by the time it comes out to make it worthwhile to import it. :lol

duckroll

The blog has the first direct feed look at the automap on the lower screen (along with all the neat icons which show places of interest):

090827_img.jpg

The blog has also gotten the director to answer a few fan questions lately, the only one of any real interest is when he confirms that while you can't see your demons animate while in battles because it's first person, you will definitely see them animate when you first fuse them, and when you check them out in the yet-to-be-unveiled View Mode.

Yaweee

Interesting that it shows an enemy on the map screen. Is the player using a scan function (green area), which is why it looks like the Forma and Enemy are getting pinged?

duckroll

Yaweee said:
Interesting that it shows an enemy on the map screen. Is the player using a scan function (green area), which is why it looks like the Forma and Enemy are lit up?

Those icons are all indicators of points of interest for scanning. Enemy Scan is an application function. We already know this! Not sure what the pings are. We'll find out more soon maybe!

Gorgon

Looking pretty good. Why is there an area on the map that seems like it has not been explored yet but its form is shown in green lines?

Yaweee

duckroll said:
Those icons are all indicators of points of interest for scanning. Enemy Scan is an application function. We already know this! Not sure what the pings are. We'll find out more soon maybe!

Yes, I know that. I was just commenting on whether a particular scan is what the screen is actually showing at the moment.

Gorgon said:
Looking pretty good. Why is there an area on the map that seems like it has not been explored yet but its form is shown in green lines?

Yeah, that's what I meant. The green outline and ping circles make it look like the player is doing a 3-square-radius scan of some kind. But both the Enemy and Forma are lit up, whereas previous screens showed those as two distinct types of scans. And is that a regular enemy, meaning that random battles aren't actually random, is it a scripted encounter, or are there FOE-type enemies?

duckroll

Yaweee said:
Yeah, that's what I meant. The green outline and ping circles make it look like the player is doing a 3-square-radius scan of some kind. But both the Enemy and Forma are lit up, whereas previous screens showed those as two distinct types of scans.

Yeah, that's possible. I didn't even think of that. I would love to see how all the applications and stuff actually work in terms of menus or touch controls. Atlus interfaces are usually pretty hot, so it's exciting just to see what they do with the SJ theme and setting in terms of menu interface and stuff. :D

Top Bottom