• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
7Th said:
They did a pretty good job with the different endings in Devil Survivor; you could really feel the weight of your actions thought the game.

I'm actually playing Devil Survivor right now. So I guess I have something to look forward to then.

Sfida

HK-47 said:
The songs in Nocturne were very samey, especially the battle themes.

That can be said about all of his soundtracks, however, Nocturne was the least abrasive.

HK-47 said:
I love the variation in Persona 3 and 4. Nocturne isnt bad (I'm listening to "Demons" right now), I just think the newer Personas use their soundtracks better in creating atmosphere of the world. I could see the pop songs being anathema to some, but I thought it was really interesting, especially when used to set the tone of dungeons, like Heaven isnt the same without its theme.

I absolutely can't stand any of that J-pop bullshit, especially the songs with the terrible Engrish. Speaking of Persona, I got around to listening to some of the music from the Persona PSP port. It's really awful. I'm disappointed that they replaced Revelations' awesome soundtrack with mediocre arrangements and really awful j-pop.

Gorgon said:
It was 2D but isometric.

But it looks 3D...ish.

Sfida said:
That can be said about all of his soundtracks, however, Nocturne was the least abrasive.

I absolutely can't stand any of that J-pop bullshit, especially the songs with the terrible Engrish. Speaking of Persona, I got around to listening to some of the music from the Persona PSP port. It's really awful. I'm disappointed that they replaced Revelations' awesome soundtrack with mediocre arrangements and really awful j-pop.

So true. Poor P1... : ( I'll still get it and play it, but I will turn off the volume for it during those j-pop infused battles.

On the plus side, I hope someone hacks it and restores the original music in the way they rearranged P3/4's soundtrack and dub after those released.

duckroll

7Th said:
So, for story purposes, will they go with the Nocturne "Reason" alignment system or with the traditional Megami Tensei "Chaos/Law" alignment system?

The game itself is already confirmed to have an alignment system (light/dark+law/chaos for demons, law/chaos for MC), but who knows how the actual endings in the game will be determined. I'll say it's very likely it'll be going back to the law/chaos system, since it does say that your alignment changes based on decisions made in the game's story.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I have always preferred the Fiend battle theme. As soon is it started up in my first play through versus Matador I knew I was in trouble.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Damn you, duckroll. That just came up on my Twitter and I came right here to please people.

duckroll

RevenantKioku said:
Damn you, duckroll. That just came up on my Twitter and I came right here to please people.

Ah, Twitter. That is your failing. Atlus news should be wired into your brain instead, relying on Twitter is not enough!

duckroll

The trailer looked really, really good, except for the part where Morax looks like he does not animate at all. It's really weird because even Asura sorta animates (he bobs up and down and his eyes flash). Hopefully there are cool visual effects while actually fighting the bosses to make up for the seemingly lack of animation on their big sprites...

ksamedi

I can't believe some of you will be able to play this in less than a month. I have the feeling us Europeans will have to wait a while.

NeoZylom

Hmm, so the gameplay is like Erian Odysey? Hmmm, didn't like EO much, but may be this game will have a different taste? I hope so, since I'm in love with this universe

Yaweee

The video also seems to clarify what the green outline on the map screen is. It is always centered on the character, even as he moves, so it is likely just a representation of what his current scan radius is.

duckroll said:
The trailer looked really, really good, except for the part where Morax looks like he does not animate at all. It's really weird because even Asura sorta animates (he bobs up and down and his eyes flash). Hopefully there are cool visual effects while actually fighting the bosses to make up for the seemingly lack of animation on their big sprites...

Yeah, I thought this was weird too. Asura moves somewhat, like you note, and Orcus has a full animating sprite... so it's pretty weird that Morax doesn't move at all in that clip.

xs_mini_neo said:
On the plus side, I hope someone hacks it and restores the original music in the way they rearranged P3/4's soundtrack and dub after those released.

P3 and P4 have exactly the same soundtrack in the US that they do in Japan. Also, undubs are bad and you should feel bad.

Sfida

charlequin said:
Stuck In Amala is one of my favorite battle themes in any game ever.

Yeah, that's my favorite battle theme in Nocturne (it sounds kind of like one of the earlier Shin Megami Tensei battle themes, though I don't recall which).

My favorite song in Nocturne is Hijiri. Reminds me of some of the music from Persona 2.

That one static sprite kind of stood out like a sore thumb. Other than that epic trailer is epic. Strange Journey looks like it's going to be spectacular, the only shitty thing is the wait.

ethelred

duckroll said:

God damn, the locations in that dungeon looked amazing. It seems like this is a huge leap up over the Etrian Odyssey games in terms of the graphical strength of the dungeons... which is impressive, because those were very well done in their own right. The amount of variety shown off in the trailer is also very impressive.

Can't wait to play SMT4 next year!

NeoZylom said:
Hmm, so the gameplay is like Erian Odysey? Hmmm, didn't like EO much, but may be this game will have a different taste? I hope so, since I'm in love with this universe

Well, I guess... in the sense that they're both first-person and they both have turn-based battle systems. But I would think SMT1 and 2 (or SMT3's first-person mode) would be better points of comparison, since the gameplay here will be far more focused on demon fusion and negotion.

ethelred

Y2Kev said:
Music is my favorite part.

It's so different from what we've come to expect from Shoji Meguro, but still of such high quality. It actually reminds me of the score Hitoshi Sakimoto did for Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, in terms of being a significant divergence from his past body of work but also in how much it infused the game with a moody sense of atmosphere.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's almost frightening! I loved the panover of the SMT kanji in the first trailer with what sounded like timpani drums and chanting.

ethelred said:
It's so different from what we've come to expect from Shoji Meguro, but still of such high quality.

It's really unusual! Not what I expected at all. Love the use of percussion.

Y2Kev said:
It's almost frightening!

Yeah, it's kind of creepy and ominous, in a good way.

7Th

I'm loving the graphical dungeon design, looks like something that will actually be fun to explore. EO was a great game, but I couldn't get over how dull and repetitive the dungeons were in terms of visuals.

matmanx1

Art and music looks good. As expected. I could hope for a resolution increase that might have been possible on a different platform but I have no doubts that the DS can provide a compelling SMT experience anyway. (See Devil Survivor for proof!)

US release middle of next year maybe? One can only hope!

mclem

jaundicejuice said:
So it's been decided (or announced?) that Strange Journey is indeed SMT4?

If I remember right: Officially, it's not SMT4. However it appears to have the depth and complexity which would be expected of an SMT4, and it's reasonable to believe that if it *had* been released as SMT4, few people would have batted an eyelid.

7Th

Why the fuck do people care if this is supposed to be SMT4 or not? Will that really change the quality of the game or your perception of it?

7Th

charlequin said:
Because it's fun to watch people who are butthurt about the DS suffer?

Is it, really? I mean, it's Shin Megami Tensei! I could understand with DQIX, but why would fans of such a niche franchise care about such bullshit?

Volcynika

7Th said:
Is it, really? I mean, it's Shin Megami Tensei! I could understand with DQIX, but why would fans of such a niche franchise care about such bullshit?

Because that behavior is not franchise exclusive!

7Th

charlequin said:
Don't ask me, I'm the person who's playing Devil Survivor right at this very instant! :lol

See, that's the other reason I don't get why people care about whether this is SMT4 or not. Devil Survivor was very clearly a spin-off and I still fucking loved it enough to call it my favorite game of the year so far.

Coxswain

7Th said:
Why the fuck do people care if this is supposed to be SMT4 or not? Will that really change the quality of the game or your perception of it?
I think it's more that this being SMT4 means there probably isn't going to be a console/HD SMT4. I can definitely empathize with that; I'd be twice as excited if it were a PS3/360 game.

I don't really understand the people who are so desperate to believe this isn't the real thing that they feel the need to kind of pre-emptively discredit it by pulling the "just a spinoff la la la la la" card, though.

But anyway, man those dungeons look awesome. Huge step up from the indistinguishable mess of Etrian Odyssey's 3d dungeons.

Top Bottom