• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)

duckroll

Yaweee said:
Achievements like Margaret's Requests in P4 would be pretty fun. I just hope that achievements and associated unlockables are cart-wide, and not bound to a specific file-- that's what Front Mission did for its new game+ features and it fucking sucked.

They're probably going to require something like nine playthroughs to get them all. Compendium benchmarks, beating the game with each allignment, extra bosses, specific Elizabeth/Margaret requests, all of the extra missions... holy crap. Hell, it could even be a dick like Raidou 2 and require you to play through the same path multiple times for some of the content (let's pray not).

The achievements will probably be tied to a specific save file, I don't see why they would be cart-wide. It doesn't really indicate that there will be any unlockables associated with it either. I'm not sure why the achievements being tied to a save is a problem, since NG+ is already confirmed.

Yaweee

duckroll said:
The achievements will probably be tied to a specific save file, I don't see why they would be cart-wide. It doesn't really indicate that there will be any unlockables associated with it either. I'm not sure why the achievements being tied to a save is a problem, since NG+ is already confirmed.

It gets to be a problem if you start a new cycle game and then want to restart a cycle for whatever reason, or accidentally save over your file. This is an issue in games where the number of save slots is severely limited.

Also, have they said anything about difficulty levels? Nocturne original, DDS2, Raidou 1, and Raidou 2 all had Hard modes unlocked for second cycles.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
duckroll said:
Man, I totally didn't expect such an extensive article on SJ after the previous two 2-page previews in Famitsu.

This time they show off two new characters: a black-winged angel called Mansemat, and a mysterious blond girl the party encounters (Alice?!). Both are supposed to be part of the Schwarzverse, but not demons (as in, not enemies I suppose, but story NPCs).

Another big feature being revealed is that you can raise your demons and then exchange them with friends using...... nope, not wifi.... PASSWORDS! By sharing your passwords with friends, you can summon each other's demons into your own game!

The rest of the stuff just show off screenshots and details on stuff previously posted above from the retailer guy. Also of note is the Play Records you can access, which show a list of achievements within the game. There are over 150 achievements in the game. There are also over 60 different types of Extra Missions, optional missions you can accept from characters throughout the game.
I wonder if they can have both wifi AND passwords, like most mystory dungeon games. Or at least have the passwords not be to long :/

NichM

Banned
Drkirby said:
I wonder if they can have both wifi AND passwords, like most mystory dungeon games. Or at least have the passwords not be to long :/

I think if there was wi-fi, we would have known when they posted the box art.

duckroll

NichM said:
I think if there was wi-fi, we would have known when they posted the box art.

What do you think the odds are of Atlus using passwords to "unlock" secret/special demons post-release to keep people interested in the game and playing it?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Good grief, 70-100 hours? I think I'm just getting to the point in my life where I get turned away by long games. :\

I love SMT though.

Fuck. What to do?

duckroll said:
What do you think the odds are of Atlus using passwords to "unlock" secret/special demons post-release to keep people interested in the game and playing it?

It's the new fad in Japan for DS releases, capitalized by SquareEnix and Capcom. I still would had preferred WiFi trades or hook up, like the Global Trade Tower system in Pokemon.

Still it's a nice gesture but I'm a bit of masochist and purist so I want my experience to be very vanilla without any extra help. I could see it as a big help for compendium fanatics, particularly long sidequests like the 2 hidden demon fusions in Nocturne.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm guessing the trading demons thing will be just for stock demons with their base abilities, level and stats.

Also I wonder if the level restriction will apply.

Varna

thetrin said:
Good grief, 70-100 hours? I think I'm just getting to the point in my life where I get turned away by long games. :\

I love SMT though.

Fuck. What to do?

Why would you choose to spend 10 hours in 7 lesser games when you can just play the best RPG since Nocturne for 70 hours (and save hundreds of dollars to boot).

EDIT: Oh shit, I'm not suppose to be in here.

Sfida

Could the blonde girl be Lucifer? Mansemat/Mastema sounds, judging by his Wikipedia article, like he could play the Satan role in this game. I could be totally wrong, though.

duckroll

Error said:
I'm guessing the trading demons thing will be just for stock demons with their base abilities, level and stats.

Also I wonder if the level restriction will apply.

No, they're not stock demons. They're the exact demon you have customized and raised. I believe the level restriction does apply though.

In other news, Gpara has two "new" screens:

c_l1252584750_10.jpg
c_l1252584750_11.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
thetrin said:

I love SMT though.

Fuck. What to do?

Create a machine that stops time.

Also which demons are those? Looks like more Soul Hacker friends, judging from the style.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Varna said:
Why would you choose to spend 10 hours in 7 lesser games when you can just play the best RPG since Nocturne for 70 hours (and save hundreds of dollars to boot).

EDIT: Oh shit, I'm not suppose to be in here.

I'm the kind of guy who thinks 30 hours is like, the sweet spot for RPG length. Also, I enjoy playing lots of games. I don't see much point in playing a single game for the rest of my life. :p

(Also, there are plenty of RPGs better than Nocturne :lol)

Woo-Fu

Banned
thetrin said:

I love SMT though.

Fuck. What to do?

What to do? Enjoy the ride instead of being focused on reaching the end of the trip. Pretend it is an MMO that you don't have to pay monthly for. :D

thetrin

Woo-Fu said:
What to do? Enjoy the ride instead of being focused on reaching the end of the trip. Pretend it is an MMO that you don't have to pay monthly for. :D

that's kind of how I end up playing SMT RPGs. I never finish them, but get about 70 hours in, enjoy it, and then put it down.

Varna

thetrin said:
I'm the kind of guy who thinks 30 hours is like, the sweet spot for RPG length. Also, I enjoy playing lots of games. I don't see much point in playing a single game for the rest of my life. :p

Well I really don't get it. Just think of it as playing two games?

And no. Everything else after it (including SMT entries) have been rather lackluster
Though I have to admit I don't really like JRPGs and there hasn't been a good western release in some time as well

^ What kind of question is that? :/

thetrin

Anasui Kishibe said:
so guys, I have two choices: Suikoden Tierkreis or SMT DS, what should I do?

Oh come on. SMT SJ, obviously.

EDIT: I just realized you might mean Devil Survivor...but that's not an SMT game...it's Megami Ibunroku :p

Varna said:
Well I really don't get it. Just think of it as playing two games?

And no. Everything else after it (including SMT entries) have been rather lackluster
Though I have to admit I don't really like JRPGs and there hasn't been a good western release in some time as well

^ What kind of question is that? :/

lackluster? :lol You're hilarious, man. Persona 3 and 4 were fucking fantastic.

duckroll

archnemesis said:
I haven't played Suikoden Tierkreis yet, but Devil Survivor is the best game on the DS.

I wouldn't really go that far... it's a good game but it's far from the best anything. The crappy mission design, mediocre soundtrack and terrible character designs pretty much stop it from being a serious contender.

ethelred

Trading demons doesn't really do much for me personally, but if it helps the game extend out its shelf life so it sells more copies and becomes more successful, I'm all for it. Same thing with achievements, though in the case of those I might have some fun with them depending on design -- they can be a pretty cool addition to a game, or they can be stupid crap worth ignoring entirely.

thetrin said:

I think most of my games to be around that length. But for games of a certain quality, I'm happy to make the exception (even moreso if they're still portable). I like 20-30 hour RPGs, but for high quality ones like Dragon Quest games or a new Final Fantasy or Blue Dragon or whatnot, I'm fine going up to the 50-60 hour mark. And then there are those super-long , time intensive games... for them, I don't mind playing a few shorter games while I continually work on a really long one that I can keep going back to -- that's what I did with the Etrian Odyssey games, or FFT A2.

If Strange Journey is as deeply compelling and cohesive an experience as Nocturne, though, I'll probably plow straight through it.

As far as there being plenty of RPGs better than Nocturne... there aren't many, at least not for me. Nocturne easily ranks as amongst my five favorite/best PS2 RPGs, and I think it's quite a bit better than any of the other SMT umbrella games.

Anasui Kishibe said:
so guys, I have two choices: Suikoden Tierkreis or SMT DS, what should I do?

Suikoden Tierkreis is a pretty good RPG, and I had fun with it once I got over it not being Suikoden. But Devil Survivor is out-and-out great.

Varna

thetrin said:
lackluster? :lol You're hilarious, man. Persona 3 and 4 were fucking fantastic.

Come on man, those are you sure you want to get into this? Those are 70-100 hour games as well... Are you telling me you will tolerate 70 hours of sub-par gameplay but somehow have an issue with a mainline SMT game being the same?

P3 was a fun game, but hardly had the lasting impression of Nocturne. Largely do to have unsatisfying the gameplay was. Couldn't even finish P4 (though I do plan to one day).

Hobbun

Varna said:
Come on man, those are you sure you want to get into this? Those are 70-100 hour games as well... Are you telling me you will tolerate 70 hours of sub-par gameplay but somehow have an issue with a mainline SMT game being the same?

P3 was a fun game, but hardly had the lasting impression of Nocturne. Largely do to have unsatisfying the gameplay was. Couldn't even finish P4 (though I do plan to one day).

What was wrong with the gameplay of P3? I don't like AI party members and I still found the gameplay enjoyable. I am told I will like P4 even more (haven't played it yet) as you have full control.

duckroll

Hobbun said:
What was wrong with the gameplay of P3? I don't like AI party members and I still found the gameplay enjoyable. I am told I will like P4 even more (haven't played it yet) as you have full control.

P3's gameplay systems are kinda hit or miss with fans it seems. I personally love it, and actually like the AI driven battles more than P4 for various reasons (mostly it makes the gameplay faster, and the way the battles are designed in the first place makes the AI settings more than enough to play P3 really well without worrying about fuck ups), but some people really HATE them. It comes down to personal preference I guess.

thetrin

Hobbun said:

P3 and 4 were far closer to what I enjoy in an RPG, mostly because of the character development, social interaction with characters, and healthy mix of both dark and light venues.

Nocturne is a great game, but it's far from being my favorite SMT game.

That said, Strange Journey looks absolutely awesome. I love the abrupt switch in setting, and the character design.

duckroll said:
P3's gameplay systems are kinda hit or miss with fans it seems. I personally love it, and actually like the AI driven battles more than P4 for various reasons (mostly it makes the gameplay faster, and the way the battles are designed in the first place makes the AI settings more than enough to play P3 really well without worrying about fuck ups), but some people really HATE them. It comes down to personal preference I guess.

Yeah, I never really got why people hated the AI. It streamlined it so much.

Sfida

duckroll said:
I wouldn't really go that far... it's a good game but it's far from the best anything. The crappy mission design, mediocre soundtrack and terrible character designs pretty much stop it from being a serious contender.

Are you serious? It had the only good Megami Tensei soundtrack since Nocturne. I agree with everything else, though.

thetrin

Sfida said:
Are you serious? It had the only good Megami Tensei soundtrack since Nocturne. I agree with everything else, though.

I thought it was a merely okay soundtrack. The missing structure was fucking terrible, though. Ick.

I actually don't like Devil Survivor all that much, to be honest, but I'm hugely pumped for SJ.

Sfida

thetrin said:
I thought it was a merely okay soundtrack.

It wasn't great, but I found it far more enjoyable than pretty much every soundtrack Shoji Meguro has done since Shin Megami Tensei III (there are a few good songs in the Digital Devil Saga games, too). It was refreshing to have a soundtrack that wasn't grating as all hell. I kind of hope they bring Takami Asano back to do another soundtrack.

Varna

thetrin said:
Yeah, I never really got why people hated the AI. It streamlined it so much.

I liked it more for story related reasons. It made the characters feel alive and like they were really your friends tagging along for the ride... at least for a while. Like everything else in the game they could have made it so much more meaningful.

Augemitbutter said:

I like it. But my god, why the fuck does everything have to be spoon fed to me numerous times? Why do they think everyone is a fucken moron?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
heh from the description in the scan, it's pretty likely the girl is lucifer... although it could be the complete opposite and be a deity representing LAW.

but blonde+manipulative sounds like lucifer to me, though.

duckroll said:
I've only watched video playthroughs of P3 and P4 and haven't played them myself but what I find really lacking about them is the dungeon gameplay. The dungeons feel very basic and seem like nothing but a set of twisting passageways sprinkled with monsters, chests, stairways and the occasional textbox cutscene. Really disappointing for RPGs from the late 2000s if you asked me, if the dungeons had been more fleshed out and contained more gameplay elements, both P3 and 4 could have been so much better.

duckroll

Error said:

It's not an interview. It's the first of the three Dengeki specials where various magazine editors come together to discuss what they think of SJ. The first part is when they talk about the story and setting on the various SMT games and then SJ. Not very interesting at all. I'm looking forward to the third part when they talk about the gameplay and their impressions of playing it.

magicalsoundshower said:
I've only watched video playthroughs of P3 and P4 and haven't played them myself but what I find really lacking about them is the dungeon gameplay. The dungeons feel very basic and seem like nothing but a set of twisting passageways sprinkled with monsters, chests, stairways and the occasional textbox cutscene. Really disappointing for RPGs from the late 2000s if you asked me, if the dungeons had been more fleshed out and contained more gameplay elements, both P3 and 4 could have been so much better.

Well, the dungeons are indeed "lacking" and could be much better, I agree. The reason why they're just generic hallways and twisting passages is because the dungeons are randomly generated. They're different every time you go through a floor, so you don't know where the exit is. Even so, I agree it's definitely an area they can improve on significantly.

duckroll

Today's blog update mentions that they're planning a demo event for the game before the release. The location and date of the event has not been announced yet, but it will be announced on the official site "soon", so those living in Japan will want to watch out for more info! The blog also confirms that next week, the second trailer for SJ will go up on the official site. Woo hoo! :D

Llyranor

Is Tierkreis actually a good/great game, or is just being mentioned for being a traditional JRPG on DS? The battle system seemed pretty standard/easy from what I've seen/heard.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sfida said:
It wasn't great, but I found it far more enjoyable than pretty much every soundtrack Shoji Meguro has done since Shin Megami Tensei III (there are a few good songs in the Digital Devil Saga games, too). It was refreshing to have a soundtrack that wasn't grating as all hell. I kind of hope they bring Takami Asano back to do another soundtrack.

The songs in Nocturne were very samey, especially the battle themes. I love the variation in Persona 3 and 4. Nocturne isnt bad (I'm listening to "Demons" right now), I just think the newer Personas use their soundtracks better in creating atmosphere of the world. I could see the pop songs being anathema to some, but I thought it was really interesting, especially when used to set the tone of dungeons, like Heaven isnt the same without its theme.

duckroll

http://megamisj.atlusnet.jp/

Those in Japan can sign up now for the demo event. It will take place from 1pm to 6pm on the 3rd and 4th of October, and the deadline for registration is 6pm on the 16th of Sept. They will be selecting 10 participants per day. The event will take place within Tokyo, but the exact location has not been disclosed yet.

7Th

So, for story purposes, will they go with the Nocturne "Reason" alignment system or with the traditional Megami Tensei "Chaos/Law" alignment system?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
7Th said:
So, for story purposes, will they go with the Nocturne "Reason" alignment system or with the traditional Megami Tensei "Chaos/Law" alignment system?

Hopefully a completely new system with some decent C&C. Also more variation in the endings would be nice, since I doubt we'll get a Labyrinth of Amala type mega sidequest in SJ.

7Th

HK-47 said:
Hopefully a completely new system with some decent C&C. Also more variation in the endings would be nice, since I doubt we'll get a Labyrinth of Amala type mega sidequest in SJ.

They did a pretty good job with the different endings in Devil Survivor; you could really feel the weight of your actions through the game.

Top Bottom