• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'd like to know how that's handled in Devil Survivor. I hate the random skill inheritance as much as anyone, but I feel you could get a bit 'too' powerful if you are given total control. There would be a feeling of cheapness if I'm able to give the demon a bunch of awesome skills without no serious drawbacks, that would detract from my enjoyment of the game. IMO.

edit: First person perspective for SMT makes total sense, it helps a lot with the atmosphere. Play SMT3 in first person, I honestly don't know why they didn't let you do it from the beginning. Since I tried it, I haven't used the 3rd person perspective once. Labyrinth of Amala in first person=holy shit.

xfactor

Banned
T1tan said:
I still haven't played Devil Survivor yet, but I will be there Day 1.

Me too. I'm still playing Picross 3D and Secret Files 2, but I'll move on to Devil Survivor and DQ5 next

remz

Error said:
I'd like to know how that's handled in Devil Survivor. I hate the random skill inheritance as much as anyone, but I feel you could get a bit 'too' powerful if you are given total control. There would be a feeling of cheapness if I'm able to give the demon a bunch of awesome skills without no serious drawbacks, that would detract from my enjoyment of the game. IMO.
You could basically do that in other games too (Persona at least), if you had the patience to keep retrying the fusion until you got what you wanted.

It's like skipping out a step.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Error said:
Demons only have seven skills broken into three categories, battle, field and something else that I can't remember exactly but it had to do with the class of the demon or something like that. Anyway.
Three in the first two and one in the last. When passing skills from the fused demons you could only fill in blank slots with skills. So if a demon you fuse comes with two attack skills naturally, you can only give them one attack skill from the source demons.
So even though they have seven skills, they couldn't have every dyne~ spell. This really made you have to keep a good set of demons.

mclem

Wow. I've only just started to get into the SMT series, but this is just what I need to actually get through one of the full-size games; Etrian Odyssey worked *so well* on the DS that I could just fire it up at any old time and do some farming or clear a bit more of the map. When a game requires that sort of amount of commitment, I'm often happier with it being on a handheld since it's a lot easier to just fire one up briefly and get a little further; on a similar note I'd love to see an Elder Scrolls game on either the DS or PSP (remake of Arena/Daggerfall, perhaps?)

DR2K

Banned
Jangaroo said:
I just opened my copy of Devil Survivor recently. I'm enjoying it so far, and I was utterly surprised to see that I could pick the skills that my fused demon could inherit. This deserves to be in EVERY future SMT game from here on out. No more wasting 20 min trying to get the right skills. I'm a bit curious though. I'm assuming you've beaten Devil Survivor already, so is there any consequences to the choices you choose regarding dialogue? I'm assuming there's some semblance of Law/Neutral/Chaos in this game regarding the options, but I just want some reassurance.

I'm only on Day 3 so far.

hamchan said:
Never played a first person dungeon SMT before. What are the advantages over third person?
Of course this is a matter of taste but the dungeons come across as more atmospheric and menacing to me in the first person ones. I admit that the early SMT games also usually have pretty menacing dungeon music which is also helping, I guess.

Coxswain

zoku88 said:
I always thought Press Turn tipped the battle way too much into the Player's favor. I thought One More slightly helped with that.
I'd argue it's the opposite. One More has no limit on the number of turns you get until you run out of enemies - if you've got a Persona with one skill of each element, it's almost literally just a matter of putting the (fire-element) peg into the (fire-element) hole, and moving on to the next one - then when you run out of enemies, you get a super-attack at absolutely no cost that will instantly obliterate 95% of every enemy in the game.
In the Press Turn games, there's a clear upper bound on the number of turns you can get, you can't let one multi-element character have an uninterrupted run on every enemy they can tag, and if you can't kill everything by the time you run out of turns, the game doesn't just let you decide to kill them all for free.
One More also really half-asses the negative side of Press Turn's double-reinforcement design. You can miss a turn if you actually miss an ordinary physical attack and your character takes a dive, but apart from that, if you miss with a spell, or if your skill gets nulled or reflected, that's as far as it goes - you don't accomplish anything during your turn, but it's not really a big deal, because no matter how bad you whiff, Teddie isn't going to lose his turn too.

But really, it's not a matter of tilting the game's balance toward or away from the player - it's that the Press Turn games allow so many more options and strategies built around the system. Past the first couple months of game-time, almost every single boss in Persona 3/4 lacks a weakness, which generally turns the fights into shallow-ass standard RPG 'hit the bad guy really hard until he dies' slugfests. In the PT games, even if there aren't any elemental weaknesses, you can actively make use of the mechanics offensively by Passing turns to consolidate your actions into whichever characters are more useful for that particular combat round, or defensively by swapping in a demon (or using a Void skill in DDS) with innate immunity to the boss's attacks.
That's not even mentioning how much better the PT games' buff stacking works compared P3/4's single levels of positive or negative status, whether on their own to swing the fight drastically in or out of your favour, or combined with the actual Press Turns to use as chaff for an enemy to waste their turns on Dekunda/kaja or to just sap all their turns away by dodging everything.

I mean, it goes a little deeper than that, and you can tell that the designers of P3/4 recognized some of the problems and tried to add elements that added a bit more thought to the process (specifically, The Answer in 3 and the first few months of P4 sort of avoid some of the pitfalls), but in general, One More was a pretty drastic devolution in gameplay mechanics.

Edit:
RevenantKioku said:
Wow, what? Not only is One More much better than Press Turn (simple evolution) the Extra Turn in Devil Survivor was great because it helped you to gain advantage but not dominate.
No, Extra Turn was shit because whether you started with an ET, whether the enemy started with an ET, whether you or the enemy gets an ET for hitting a Critical/Weakness, and whether you or the enemy loses an ET for being hit for Critical/Weakness is random. Standard RPG combat is already way more than random enough taking into account random AI skill selection, damage ranges, and to-hit chances. Devil Survivor has all of that, and adds an arbitrary swing in your effectiveness of up to 4x between the worst-case and best-case dice rolls.

Error

complete disagreement.

I feel the One More battle system is more balanced overall, they really nail it with Persona 4. The buffs in SMT3 are just TOO overpowered. The battles quickly become a dekaja/dekunda/buffs/debuffs fest.

It doesn't help that missing successfully takes away two icons, so the suku- buffs is too overpowered in Press Turn. That's not really the case in One More, because there's not turn sharing or anything.

I see the all out attack as a way to make battles end quicker. In Persona 4 there a lot of times where enemies don't have any weakness and you have to rely on status effects spells to win. Also the boss battles design in Persona 4 is really really good...

I'm not saying Press Turn sucks, not at all. I actually love it. One More is the clear evolution of Press Turn. It's more refined and balanced.

Kevtones

Now that I'm drunk this news is even better.

I've gotta' say that the skill inheritance/magnetite/other skill transferring is handled WAYYYY better in Devil Survivor then in the other games. This one really handles the 'I CAN MAKE THIS BADASS MOFO WITH THESE SKILLZ HOLY FUCK' much better than any other SMT game. P4 is close, but this is the best thus far. Hopefully I'm not saying this because of a more invested look (doubtful).

zoku88

Coxswain said:
I'd argue it's the opposite. One More has no limit on the number of turns you get until you run out of enemies - if you've got a Persona with one skill of each element, it's almost literally just a matter of putting the (fire-element) peg into the (fire-element) hole, and moving on to the next one - then when you run out of enemies, you get a super-attack at absolutely no cost that will instantly obliterate 95% of every enemy in the game.
I think that was a problem earlier in the game, but later, I think most of the enemies parties were diverse enough so that the longest run a character could have wasn't actually very long. Also, unlike SMT, you couldn't benefit from hitting an enemy twice in a row. So, against a smaller group of enemies, you would actually see a less amount of turns.

And like Error says, SMT were waay overpowered. Plus, a lot of the bosses would debuff you when you buffed yourself, making the boss waste turns, which may have been a common strategy (I don't remember.)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Coxswain said:
No, Extra Turn was shit because whether you started with an ET, whether the enemy started with an ET, whether you or the enemy gets an ET for hitting a Critical/Weakness, and whether you or the enemy loses an ET for being hit for Critical/Weakness is random. Standard RPG combat is already way more than random enough taking into account random AI skill selection, damage ranges, and to-hit chances. Devil Survivor has all of that, and adds an arbitrary swing in your effectiveness of up to 4x between the worst-case and best-case dice rolls.
Which is good because nothing is constant. Knowing exactly what will happen is boring!
I liked it. A lot. Great system, hope to see more like it.

Just started playing Devil Survivor (thanks to the GAF DS game recommendations thread), good to know there's another game from the series in the works.

You think Atlus is already working on English localization or will they wait until sales data for Devil Survivor is in (currently #93 in video games on amazon) before considering it?

Danielsan

unrenowned said:
Just started playing Devil Survivor (thanks to the GAF DS game recommendations thread), good to know there's another game from the series in the works.

You think Atlus is already working on English localization or will they wait until sales data for Devil Survivor is in (currently #93 in video games on amazon) before considering it?
Atlus is probably already working on a translation.
They know that their solid fanbase will pick any SMT game up.

Hive

Banned
xfactor said:
Me too. I'm still playing Picross 3D and Secret Files 2, but I'll move on to Devil Survivor and DQ5 next

how are you liking Secret Files 2?

and btw, you have the best avatar on GAF now~
she's very cute ^^

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Persona 1 remake is making me buy a PSP and it looks like this will make me pick up a DS.

Is there anyway to hook up a DS to a TV screen? My wifes loves to watch the games I play and doing so through a DS is simply not an option.

Volcynika

Hobbun said:
Silly question. But the scans/pics everyone is looking at are at the official site for the game?

Only scans are out now. Teaser site UNVEILS THE MYSTERY (lol) on the 24th in Japan. And Duckroll said the official website is coming Monday with a trailer movie thing.

Error

Hobbun said:
Silly question. But the scans/pics everyone is looking at are at the official site for the game?
no, they are from the famitsu issue of this week.

Error

Hobbun said:
Ok, thanks. Will have to look when I get home, Famitsu is blocked here at work.
not the site, the issue... you know, the magazine. scans are floating around already.

Hobbun

Error said:
not the site, the issue... you know, the magazine. scans are floating around already.

Yes, I know Famitsu is a magazine. But I immediately dismissed that as well, as I don't have a subscription. But either way, most game sites are blocked for me anyways at work.

Darkky

Netto-kun said:
Really digging Devil Survivor, so this game is a day 1 purchase for me.:D

Same here!

I think this is definitely something new for me. I have never tried SMT or the Persona series before but DS has really made me addicted in the series!

botticus

Been very much looking forward to a first person SMT after loving EO and every other SMT game I've played. Quick localization, Atlus!

RevenantKioku said:
Wait, did you go from interest to disinterest in a few hours?
Nah, I'm just worried that this game REALLY isn't going to be something I can get into. Never played a first-person dungeon crawl and this looks totally hardcore and like something I could lose patience with incredibly quickly, which bums me out because I was really looking forward to hearing about this when the name broke last week.

The game sounds awesome and has a lot going for it, it just seems like it might have a lot going for it in ways that I wouldn't enjoy. Know what I mean?

Chairhome

Night_Trekker said:
My L button is like that. Works sometimes, doesn't work at others :(

demosthenes said:
I need to fix my damn DS....R button isn't working, have to put a crap load of pressure for a response.

This usually works to fix it. Lift the button slightly up with your thumb and forefinger so you create a tiny gap between the button and system, then blow. Sometimes dirt/debris gets in the way of the contact or something and it doesn't register. It fixed mine right away. Results may vary.

Chairhome said:
This usually works to fix it. Lift the button slightly up with your thumb and forefinger so you create a tiny gap between the button and system, then blow. Sometimes dirt/debris gets in the way of the contact or something and it doesn't register. It fixed mine right away. Results may vary.
Thanks! I'm gonna go try this on my Lite right now! (same problem as those guys)

ethelred

Error said:

But you ARE given total control over the skill selection in prior SMT fusion systems -- it's just that you have to exercise patience by being willing to hit cancel and reselect dozens (or hundreds) of times to get what you want. When I replayed Nocturne recently and I wanted to fuse the amazing Daisoujou that Aeana designed, I got the skills I wanted for it, I just had to keep going over and over and over and over until I got what I want.

There's no cheapness to me being able to pick the skills I want right off the bat, because the skill selection before wasn't limited by my fusion choices (as in, certain skills weren't restricted based on picking a particular racial mix, or fusing at a certain moon phase, or making a sacrificial fusion), it wasn't limited by my level or stats, it wasn't limited by anything else that would require strategy or upgrading to overcome. It was limited only by my willingness to sit through tedious menu selection and reselection until the random generator gave me what I want. That's what's cheap, and that's the worst kind of balancing and cheapness. It's the worst kind of way to limit the player's power.

Raidou 2 made a lot of good upgrades to the skill system, and then Devil Survivor came around and made even more and implemented by far the best fusion. Skill selection is so ideal for SMT fusion and I really do think it's requisite that all futute fusion systems work that way; I'll be severely annoyed if they don't.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Fuck I was hoping that I didn't have to rebuy a DS AGAIN!

Not entirely clear as to why one would sell a DS.

Augemitbutter said:
sound quality might go down
the ugly:
glorious DS 3D graphics.

Heh. Always love this one. Personally, I never had any problems with Etrian Odyssey's dungeon graphics, 3D or no -- I thought the dungeons looked fantastic, they maintained a solid 60 frames per second at all times, and they did an excellent job conveying the artistic atmosphere of each area. Looking at the scans, I can already see a couple areas that do the exact same here -- some of the areas they're picturing look fantastic and I think it's going to be a real joy to explore those.

Sound quality should be fine. I doubt it'll have a ton of vocal songs, but other than that, no real issue.

hamchan said:
Never played a first person dungeon SMT before. What are the advantages over third person?

Well, partly it's just a stylistic thing -- there are certain elements about first-person exploration in a dungeon that just make it feel different than in third-person, and it's very nice to have a new one because there aren't a lot of really good games these days that really do first-person dungeons well (back in the day you had Phantasy Star and the original SMT games and Shining in the Darkness/the Holy Ark... these days you've just got the two EOs, mainly). And partly it's the fact that the dungeons in first-person RPGs just tend to be much more mazelike than otherwise, which is pretty fun. And the map display works very well with that on the DS.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
magicalsoundshower said:
Of course this is a matter of taste but the dungeons come across as more atmospheric and menacing to me in the first person ones. I admit that the early SMT games also usually have pretty menacing dungeon music which is also helping, I guess.

I agree that the dungeons are much creepier and unsettling in SMT I-III than in, say, the Persona series, but to me that's as much a function of the pace and presentation of the game....in Persona you have schoolkids running around potentially with brooms and boxing gloves while upbeat music grinds on in the background. I think the relatively somber and scary quality of the Digital Devil Saga dungeons and SMT III suggest that a 3rd person dungeon can be just as atmospheric.

I actually wouldn't mind the crawling/scrolling first-person view for exploration...i agree it calls you back to the original games in kind of a cool way. I would really like fights to include some kind of onscreen visualization, even if it's just skippable attack animations...I think you're blocking out potential crossover audience by representing these epic fights through simply portraits shaking every time someone attacks.

Apenheul

I'm intrigued by the idea of exploring different places in outer space in first person on a handheld, hope to see more variety than in the EO games though. Haven't played Devil Survivor yet but I'll start playing it soon in anticipation of Strange Journey.

Error

Apenheul said:
I'm intrigued by the idea of exploring different places in outer space in first person on a handheld, hope to see more variety than in the EO games though. Haven't played Devil Survivor yet but I'll start playing it soon in anticipation of Strange Journey.
it doesn't take place in outer space. it takes place in the south pole.

Varna

ethelred said:
Not entirely clear as to why one would sell a DS.

Can't speak for him. But I found it ironic that I played my DS at home 99% of the time (can't stand playing it when I'm at school or in public) when I had a giant HDTV just sitting there. I did miss games like FF3 and Etrian Odyssey... but I could always get my dungeon crawling fix some way else.

Briarios

I'll definitely be picking this up, and I'm excited -- however, I agree with everyone, I'm looking forward to a console release.

Top Bottom