• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completed Red Faction 1 on PC back in 2003. Outside of the stealth levels it was a great game. It's a shame the sequel was so fucking godamn awful.

I've never given Guerilla or Armageddon any time. But the demo of Armageddon was as generic a game as you could get.

If you like blowing things up, Guerrilla is great. After the first few hours, you don't even bother equip guns, just demo charges. The only thing I dislike about Guerrilla, is that you need to play it on casual to get the most enjoyment out of it. Also, the final level is the last game I remember needing to use cheats to finish.

apart from the poorly set up difficulty, its a blast.

Yagharek

Bored is the wrong word for it, 'my brain feels like it's melting' is the correct one.

I get that quite often. Probably related to energy levels too tbh.

Learn to be bored. Nothing wrong with idle time. If you don't believe it, try spending a month in port hedland. There's no other alternative except drinking yourself into oblivion.

jambo

Does anyone else just listen to music any more?

Every now and then, especially with new albums, I really enjoy just putting the CD or record on and having no other distractions, so I can really take it in.

jambo

I'm rotating the new Steven Wilson, some Yes albums and side projects and some Gaudium albums.

I could never get in to Dream Theater. I get that they're technically brilliant, but I'd rather listen to some nice soulful playing instead of super fast scales. Also the singers voice just doesn't do anything for me.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

Every now and then, especially with new albums, I really enjoy just putting the CD or record on and having no other distractions, so I can really take it in.

i have a room with a stereo and a couch in it.
I often sit here and listen to new albums in the dark

kendriks was a treat last week

wonzo

Banned
I'm currently using them and can vouch for speed issues. On an ADSL2+ connection with a 3.5km line length, any speed reductions occurring over 500KB/s would be invisible to me. I do see them drop to anywhere between 50–150KB/s. Download speed doesn't seem to spike down to these levels and bounce back, they tend to sit around that speed for a while.

It's not something a server change can't solve, but if you need to exit from a region with only one server it's not convenient. I'm usually using one on the US west coast as that's our best connection point.

Looking at the services linked by wonzo (PDF-only), they seem to be a better choice. I'm not sure what you're using the VPN for specifically, so I'm just going to assume Netflix with the bonus of obfuscating your online activity from prying eyes. With that in mind and after looking at Netflix Around the World, these other options have servers where Private Internet Access does not, for the purposes of accessing region-specific content. From what I can tell though, no one VPN provider I've seen covers all regions for this purpose.
You want SmartDNS things like Getflix if you want to get past geolocking of media streaming sites as there's little if any impact on speeds for those things. If it's just for obfuscation then your best bet is a VPN with an Australian server (as an option) for minimal speed loss. Any decent VPN like expressvpn makes it painless to switch between regions in the case internet filtering ever happens here. (outside of piracy ofc *twiddles thumbs*)

Danoss

I don't understand ‘bored’ either. In most cases it's not so much the lack of anything to do, it's the lack of interest to engage in any of them. Even then, it may instead be the possibility of something better delaying any decision being made.

Often there's isn't that one perfect thing to suit the moment when you're looking for it. I find that if I don't make a decision early on in that particular mode, the time is spent continuously searching until there's no time left to fill.

The most important thing is to make a decision. Rule out the obvious like things that would take too long, things you always do at another time (horror related things when it's dark and you're in the appropriate mood) and then choose something from what remains. Anything. That's the hard part done. After that, I have always enjoyed the time spent doing whatever I chose.

It's the problem with being spoiled for choice. The solution is like when you're playing a new board game and the best choice amongst many is not apparent or would take longer than appropriate to calculate. Eliminate the obvious bad/wrong ones and then choose randomly. Roll a die, flip a coin, use a random number generator or something to help you. The choice itself is not as important as it is to simply make one.

I can understand that a long day can sap you of the will to do much at all. That's something a little different, especially if you're mentally drained. Exhaustion doesn't really qualify as boredom.

One thing I won't buy into is there being ‘nothing to do’. That's rubbish. If there's pen and paper handy, you can draw, write, design, whatever. Constructive stuff is the best because you keep occupied and entertained, and there's the satisfaction of having diverging to show for your time. Even if it's not complete (whatever it is), you've got something to look at and inspire you to complete it and/or improve upon it.

That's a long rant, but I was filling in time waiting in the doctor's office. Figured if lazy old Danoss and his ADHD brain can focus on something and get it done, anyone can.

You want SmartDNS things like Getflix if you want to get past geolocking of media streaming sites as there's little if any impact on speeds for those things. If it's just for obfuscation then your best bet is a VPN with an Australian server (as an option) for minimal speed loss. Any decent VPN like expressvpn makes it painless to switch between regions in the case internet filtering ever happens here. (outside of piracy ofc *twiddles thumbs*)

VPN does both just fine, at least it does for me. Outside of the odd speed drops, there's not much noticeable speed hit due to the VPN overhead (not sure what the term is, if there is one, but I figured that would do the job).

I will recant my previous statement of no one VPN provider offering access to all Netflix regions. It seems that PureVPN, listed in the PDF you linked earlier does. $49.95 for a full year (and a noted further 10% off with code CWC2015) is reasonable. ExpressVPN does too.

MoonGred

As much as I'm enjoying bloodborne I can't get over how long the loadscreens are and there is no way that the fps is 30 for 90% of the time, the early sewer section was a nightmare to play though. Regardless of those flaws the game is pretty great

Messed around with pillars of eternity for a while, and what I've played has been soo enjoyable. Started with a rogue but that didn't really work out so re-routed a monk. Has anyone had any clipping issues in combat, I can't figure out if it's purposefully done so or of it's a bug.

Darren870

Oh, forgot to mention my missus was on hot seat millionaire tonight. I'm the guest. Brisbane folk can still catch it.

We didn't win...

Kritz

Banned
I just don't understand bored. All those years as a kid when I wanted to do stuff or play with things, now as a grown man I can be a kidult, I just can't fathom not having something to be excited about doing and doing it.

I dunno man, is there such a thing as a 1/4 life crisis? I might be having one of those. I'm not sure how you get over those. Midlife crisis you buy a motorbike... so what's half a motorbike? A shed?

I should build a shed.

Fredescu

I should build a shed.

You should, sheds are awesome. On the one hand I don't think a midlife crisis is a real thing, but on the other hand I just spent $1000 on plywood, epoxy resin, and fibreglass to build a boat. So if it's a real thing I'm right there with you.

Dead Man

You should, sheds are awesome. On the one hand I don't think a midlife crisis is a real thing, but on the other hand I just spent $1000 on plywood, epoxy resin, and fibreglass to build a boat. So if it's a real thing I'm right there with you.

Sheds are awesome. I miss having one. Soon though, once I get a place of my own.

Danoss

I dunno man, is there such a thing as a 1/4 life crisis? I might be having one of those. I'm not sure how you get over those. Midlife crisis you buy a motorbike... so what's half a motorbike? A shed?

I should build a shed.

I bought a motorcycle when I was 24. Does that mean I'll be dead before 50?

Nothing wrong with getting one if you want. They're a lot of fun. Even your average trip around town is 10x better.

It's a terrible show, but I use Sleepy Hollow as background noise when I'm painting miniatures because it doesn't matter whether or not you pay attention. One of my friends calls these shows ‘painting shows’ and I've started to do the same. Anyway, in one episode the guy has to ride a motorcycle because of arbitrary plot reasons and, after getting off, points at it smiling like a little kid and says “I want one of these!”. I giggled because I knew exactly what he meant. It is absolutely childish glee. If you haven't ridden one, you cannot know the feeling.

I'm big on safety (as is any rider worth listening to) and will have helmet, gloves, and jacket with me everywhere I ride. A couple of times I've needed to take the shortest trip, like up and down the street to heat up the chain for cleaning, and only wore a helmet. Man, it just amplifies how awesome the feeling is. Even at that low speed, the way the air feels as it wraps around you is just incredible. It's a nice reminder, but not something to be done all the time.

A shed is cool though. The flat-pack ones can be a pain in the arse if you're going that route. They're not Ikea and some of the cuts can be off, making the experience a little more frustrating than fun. If you're building from scratch, I'm right there with you—doing that stuff is fun. Seriously, I'd offer to help if I was nearby. Building stuff and a good excuse to use cool power tools is all I need (belt sanders need not apply).

Oh yes! Pictures please! Or let me know if you want an internet stranger to help. I can bring my own respirator to protect my lungs from those glass fibres and sawdust. I don't know whether midlife crises are a thing, but I know that building stuff is immensely satisfying.

Nowhere near the same level, but I just finished putting together some MDF boxes to act as buildings for a miniature wargame. Just need to print some things out and stick them on so they look more building-like. All I did was basically glue and clamp them while they dried, but it's enough to get that feeling of satisfaction after doing that 18 times.

N0VAM0D

All the time. I used to do that with my record player quite a lot, but I decided to leave it in Newcastle because my dad likes to use it. I've been meaning to get another but it's not really appropriate for a studio apartment. Maybe in the next place. For now, I just plug in my headphones.

As much as I'm enjoying bloodborne I can't get over how long the loadscreens are and there is no way that the fps is 30 for 90% of the time, the early sewer section was a nightmare to play though. Regardless of those flaws the game is pretty great

Messed around with pillars of eternity for a while, and what I've played has been soo enjoyable. Started with a rogue but that didn't really work out so re-routed a monk. Has anyone had any clipping issues in combat, I can't figure out if it's purposefully done so or of it's a bug.

I've been having heaps of fun with it, but man, those loading screens. Framerate hasn't been bothering me too much except for when I'm playing with someone else, honestly. What really annoys me though is that you can't teleport from lantern to lantern, you have to go to the
hunter's dream
first. That being said, I'm totally addicted and can't wait to play more.

HolyCheck

I only have a record player set up in the music room.. when I first moved to melb I lived in Fitzroy and it was easier to buy records than cds.

Damn hipsters what have you done to me

Looks like I've got 500 gigs to play with every month, up from 200. Thanks Telstra!
nice to be able to say that without being sarcastic.
Shame I didn't know about this last week before I ordered Bloodborne, still haven't gotten it yet but auspost Tracking suggests the postie will be bringing it on Monday.
Gonna go 100% digital from now on.

HolyCheck

Looks like I've got 500 gigs to play with every month, up from 200. Thanks Telstra!
nice to be able to say that without being sarcastic.
Shame I didn't know about this last week before I ordered Bloodborne, still haven't gotten it yet but auspost Tracking suggests the postie will be bringing it on Monday.
Gonna go 100% digital from now on.

I wonder what's happened to my grandparents who I think are on a 2gig plan lOl

It always gets destroyed come Christmas time... within a few hours of people arriving to stay for the week.

Also, why are you up at this silly hour on a saturday.

HolyCheck

SMTIV is half price on the aussie eshop for those interested.

It was about 2 months ago too.

I'd never played an smt/ persona type game until recently (conception 2)
So I bought smt4. Quite enjoyable! Monster hunter then majoras mask and pokemon shuffle distracted me from it... but ill go back one day.

Fredescu

Oh yes! Pictures please! Or let me know if you want an internet stranger to help. I can bring my own respirator to protect my lungs from those glass fibres and sawdust. I don't know whether midlife crises are a thing, but I know that building stuff is immensely satisfying.

I may just take you up on that offer at some point. It's going to be a few years in the making. I haven't decided on a respirator yet. Either one of these: http://www.duckworksbbs.com/tools/resp/ or just whatever happens to be at Bunnings when I've procrastinated for too long and finally need one.

The only pic I have at the moment is this:

uLPmltk.jpg

Nowhere near the same level, but I just finished putting together some MDF boxes to act as buildings for a miniature wargame. Just need to print some things out and stick them on so they look more building-like. All I did was basically glue and clamp them while they dried, but it's enough to get that feeling of satisfaction after doing that 18 times.

Nice. What were you cutting the MDF with? Sanded by hand? I've been watching a lot of youtube woodworking videos and kind of get the bug of wanting to try something, but even the "woodworking for beginners" type channels use a bunch of tools that I couldn't really justify buying yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom