• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Cake Boss

Banned
"Forget coming this to a Golf GTI, this is way more serious than a Golf GTI"

What in the world...

The car looks great, it pops bangs and crackles, it's engineered by the guy who oversaw some of the best M cars ever, and it's a Hyundai. Well I never.

And we'll never get it in the U.S :(

Pterion

This seems like a very good hot hatch entry by Hyundai. I really hope they offer it in the US market. The way that GTI's and Focus/ Fiesta ST's sell over here you would think they would have plans to do so.

If it is as good as it sounds then I would give it a serious look.
Heard it is going to come to the US as the new Veloster N.

On my end, I came to my senses and decided to not get a brand new GTS. Way too much money that could be spent in better ways. Looking at used 991.1 S/GTS and used 981 Cayman S/GTS. The search is kind of fun so far.

Why the Veloster?

Tbh I don’t hate it actually, saw it in a Korean drama years ago and I’ve liked it since then lol.

But the Veloster is a dead nameplate over here and I don’t think even a souped up version of it is gonna bring a lot of enthusiasts in a Hyundai dealer.

EDIT: Anybody getting Forza 7 today?

Forgot I preordered the Ultimate edition and it’s already sitting outside my door and now I’m debating on whether I should pick up the SNES Classic that I got through the Amazon Treasure Truck lol.

matmanx1

Why the Veloster?

Tbh I don’t hate it actually, saw it in a Korean drama years ago and I’ve liked it since then lol.

But the Veloster is a dead nameplate over here and I don’t think even a souped up version of it is gonna bring a lot of enthusiasts in a Hyundai dealer.

EDIT: Anybody getting Forza 7 today?

Forgot I preordered the Ultimate edition and it’s already sitting outside my door and now I’m debating on whether I should pick up the SNES Classic that I got through the Amazon Treasure Truck lol.

I don't have an Xbox and I hear the PC version still has some issues that need to be ironed out. Once they patch it up I will seriously think about getting it since that is likely as close as I will ever come to actually driving a GT3 RS.

I don't have an Xbox and I hear the PC version still has some issues that need to be ironed out. Once they patch it up I will seriously think about getting it since that is likely as close as I will ever come to actually driving a GT3 RS.

Yeah that's a good idea.

I regret buying the ultimate edition after a few hours of it and think I would've been fine with the regular... or waiting for it to go on sale in a few months.

Handling imo is much worse. In FM6 driving a Carrera GT was a damn near impossible task, but in FM7, it's easy as pie.

It's not a bad game though, there's a lot of great stuff but the loot boxes, locking cars to a collection tier bullshit is turning me off from the game.

v1lla21

Coolant reservoir started leaking so I took the car to vw and the water pump also went to shit. Still under extended warranty so I'm good. Got a Jetta as a loaner and it feels like a boat compared to my gti.

matmanx1

Coolant reservoir started leaking so I took the car to vw and the water pump also went to shit. Still under extended warranty so I'm good. Got a Jetta as a loaner and it feels like a boat compared to my gti.

What year is your GTI? I'm just curious. I'm glad your VW was under warranty. I think that's the smart way to go with most German automobiles.

v1lla21

What year is your GTI? I'm just curious. I'm glad your VW was under warranty. I think that's the smart way to go with most German automobiles.
2010, so a pretty common problem with the water pump. I only got 2 years/13k miles left on the warranty.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Surprised my mother-in-law with a new car today as a 60th birthday present, but also for taking care of my son everyday. She deserved it.

Traded in her old 2007 Camry, for a 2017 Acura ILX. Really cool little whip - 201HP Si engine, 8AT DCT that is surprisingly paired to a torque converter, which makes it pretty damn smooth at crawling speeds. Cabin is super silent inside, and the engine makes a shockingly smooth and pleasant noise, especially for a 4-cylinder. It is one really nifty little motor. Revs to 7K.

I got an insane deal on it with boat loads of incentives. Folks, you can pick one of these up for $22K after incentive, and even the base models come standard with leather, heated seats, bi-xenon-LEDs, LED taillights, backup camera, bluetooth, and some other things. There's no other bargain out there that gives you that much for so little.

Really neat car. Worth the coin. Also, the new TLX with its updated face looks beautiful on the outside. In its current motor config, I'd never buy one - but if NSX tech trickles down to it with SH-AWD, that'd be a sedan I'd consider replacing my Jag for if it makes 400HP.

Edit: Btw, the car only weighs 3050lbs. It's super light in today's world.

matmanx1

Surprised my mother-in-law with a new car today as a 60th birthday present, but also for taking care of my son everyday. She deserved it.

Traded in her old 2007 Camry, for a 2017 Acura ILX. Really cool little whip - 201HP Si engine, 8AT DCT that is surprisingly paired to a torque converter, which makes it pretty damn smooth at crawling speeds. Cabin is super silent inside, and the engine makes a shockingly smooth and pleasant noise, especially for a 4-cylinder. It is one really nifty little motor. Revs to 7K.

I got an insane deal on it with boat loads of incentives. Folks, you can pick one of these up for $22K after incentive, and even the base models come standard with leather, heated seats, bi-xenon-LEDs, LED taillights, backup camera, bluetooth, and some other things. There's no other bargain out there that gives you that much for so little.

Really neat car. Worth the coin. Also, the new TLX with its updated face looks beautiful on the outside. In its current motor config, I'd never buy one - but if NSX tech trickles down to it with SH-AWD, that'd be a sedan I'd consider replacing my Jag for if it makes 400HP.

Grats to you and to her. The tech on that ILX sounds great. So it really has a DCT paired with a torque converter? How interesting. I need to do some reading up on that. Might be a good car for my wife in a year or so. I'm trying to talk her in to a 2018 or early 2019 upgrade.

In other news, there's a new Netflix show some of you all might like. It's called Paul Hollywood's Big Continental Road Trip and in it Paul (who I know from the Great British Baking Show) goes to several countries in Europe and investigates how their unique culture has influenced the cars they make and love. Little did I know before I started watching but Paul is a racing driver when he's not busy being a celebrity chef and is as big a car geek as anyone I know of. I just watched the first episode and I quite enjoyed it.

AlphaSnake

Grats to you and to her. The tech on that ILX sounds great. So it really has a DCT paired with a torque converter? How interesting. I need to do some reading up on that. Might be a good car for my wife in a year or so. I'm trying to talk her in to a 2018 or early 2019 upgrade.

Yeah, I think there may be a 1 or 2 other mass production cars that utilize a TC with a DCT. It does a great job of smoothing things out. Also, car handles very well and has great steering.

Edit: Actually, nope. Acura is the only. Others use clutch assist and brake sensors to prevent rollback and pull the car forward. I'd imagine a TC will GREATLY enhance the life of the clutches in a DCT.

Edit 2: Should also mention an ILX only weighs 3050lbs. You simply don't get that kind of weight in cars anymore.

Edit: Btw, the car only weighs 3050lbs. It's super light in today's world.

That's a bargain, considering that a new Civic that's loaded is around $26-28k.

The platform is older, but the K24 is a great engine which I'd rather have any day over the new Civic 1.5s.

Yeah, that K24 has been around for quite a while and it's a pretty great engine. My 04 TSX had an older revision of the same thing. It sounds pretty good and it's reasonably quick for what it is. Good torque for an NA 4 cylinder too, but then Honda makes the best NA 4 cylinders, period.

Dunno about comparing it to the new Civic since it's faster and gets better gas mileage, though. In Sport trim at least.

Between the two of them I'd probably still rather have the ILX.

Akim

Banned
Still haven't had a chance to take good pictures of the car. Still lovin it though. Gave it a good wash and wax today, and of course it rains 3 hours later.

73yu6Cx.jpg

Off-topic, does anyone have any good insurance recommendations? I'm looking to switch and save some money. I have allstate right now and they are way too expensive.

v1lla21

Still haven't had a chance to take good pictures of the car. Still lovin it though. Gave it a good wash and wax today, and of course it rains 3 hours later.

Off-topic, does anyone have any good insurance recommendations? I'm looking to switch and save some money. I have allstate right now and they are way too expensive.
Love that first picture.
I currently have State Farm and they've been fine. I did get a quote from AAA and it was 20 bucks cheaper so I'm probably gonna be switching soon.

Atlas157

How good is a 13-14 Civic Si when it comes to reliability compared to older Civics? Anything I should look for when buying a used one? I'm planning on getting used one as I have enough money for a decent one, there's a few in my area in good condition for $13,000-$15,000. How does it compare to the FA5 Civic as well?

I currently own an 01 Grand Cherokee that's in poor condition, so I want to get it ASAP.

^IMO the FA5/FG2 are the best Si's ever made.

The FB/FG4 after feels like it's prepping you for that eventual switch to the 1.5L turbo... and from what I remember the FB's have a bit of refinement over the FA's but along with that refinement is a neutering of the raw/great aspects from the FA's.

Reliability wise, it's a Honda so it'll run forever as long as you maintain it.

I've got GEICO and they're pretty cheap, <$130 a month for my GTI with full coverage including towing and rental(this is a VW after all lol).

But yeah, that looks really nice!

If you need a photographer you can come down to Dallas or fly me up to wherever you are and I'll get it done haha.

matmanx1

Looking at your photos I can confidently say that there is no better color for the M2 than that blue (Estoril?) It's gorgeous.

We will definitely need to hear about your experiences and impressions with the car so far, especially since the upgrade from your older car was so big. Is it your daily driver now?

How good is a 13-14 Civic Si when it comes to reliability compared to older Civics? Anything I should look for when buying a used one? I'm planning on getting used one as I have enough money for a decent one, there's a few in my area in good condition for $13,000-$15,000. How does it compare to the FA5 Civic as well?

I currently own an 01 Grand Cherokee that's in poor condition, so I want to get it ASAP.

I have a 2014 Civic Si. These cars exist to be driven at red line so as long as you can find a clean unmodified one that has service history, you should be fine. Only issues I have heard about are some issues with 2nd gear and weird gearbox noises, but nothing like that has happened to me *knock wood*

In other news, the new Accord is starting to get reviews and as expected, it's great.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/accord/2018/2018-honda-accord-first-test/
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-honda-accord-first-drive-review

Looks like you probably really want the 10AT for that turbo motor. I'm happy they still offer manual transmission but that lack of low end power means the old 3.5 I6 is probably better with MT. Supposedly Honda makes the best CVT but I've hated every one of those I've driven, ever. Not that a 196 HP turbo 1.5 even cuts it for me anyway.

Not the biggest fan of the front end but think it's okay looking in white.

Glad to hear it's great though. Honda has nailed this generation of Civics/Accords, but it makes me wonder what the hell is the point of Acura? Even the review mentions that this car brings that point to attention.

The major difference I'm seeing is that Acura still offers V6s and AWD.

Most of the Acuras are about due for an FMC. Wouldn't be shocked if they got a V6T and eSH-AWD as the main differentiators. Would prefer they got their own RWD based platform for everything too, but that's probably pie in the sky.

badrang

Wtf were they thinking when styling that front grille? On a second take the whole front end looks like hot shit.

I personally like the blunt nose and the grill, at least when in black versus the chrome. I actually find the rear to be the issue with the design. The taillights and the small trunk lid look bizarre (much like the civic). The profile would also lead you to believe it's a lift-back, but it isn't. But, the car does have a much lower, wider, and more muscular stance. I do personally like the design overall though despite its quirks, and feel it's an improvement over the last gen.

matmanx1

I personally like the blunt nose and the grill, at least when in black versus the chrome. I actually find the rear to be the issue with the design. The taillights and the small trunk lid look bizarre (much like the civic). The profile would also lead you to believe it's a lift-back, but it isn't. But, the car does have a much lower, wider, and more muscular stance. I do personally like the design overall though despite its quirks, and feel it's an improvement over the last gen.

I also think it is an overall improvement. The front end is a bit off (just like the Civic) and, like you said, it looks like a hatchback with that roofline, but I also dont think many (or any) buyers will be put off by the design. It still looks like an Accord from the outside and early indications are that the interior quality is now much better than before which can only help sales.

In fact I am glad to see the Japanese are beginning to improve interior quality on the non-premium brands. Mazda got the ball rolling a few years ago but were pretty much in a class by themselves outside of something like Lexus or Acura. Toyota and Subaru still have a long way to go but if Honda is very successful with the new Accord then maybe everyone will get on board with the idea that high interior quality is very desirable to most car buyers.

Acres of grey and black plastic are still one of my pet peeves in a car so any movement away from that cheap and dismal look is a good thing in my book.

Had some fun with a mk6 GTI today.

Sharp left hander to an onramp and he was keeping up pretty good but as soon as we got on the highway he went to go troll the FoST on the left lane lolol.

Even got a GTI wave right as he passed me haha. Now I definitely feel like I’m part of the club and I need to find the locals for more fun lol.

Also driving in the rain is fuuuuuun. It’s been raining all morning and let’s just say that I feel like I’m Ayrton Senna driving this thing in the rain... it’s scarily capable even on the shitty tires.

I also think it is an overall improvement. The front end is a bit off (just like the Civic) and, like you said, it looks like a hatchback with that roofline, but I also dont think many (or any) buyers will be put off by the design. It still looks like an Accord from the outside and early indications are that the interior quality is now much better than before which can only help sales.

In fact I am glad to see the Japanese are beginning to improve interior quality on the non-premium brands. Mazda got the ball rolling a few years ago but were pretty much in a class by themselves outside of something like Lexus or Acura. Toyota and Subaru still have a long way to go but if Honda is very successful with the new Accord then maybe everyone will get on board with the idea that high interior quality is very desirable to most car buyers.

Acres of grey and black plastic are still one of my pet peeves in a car so any movement away from that cheap and dismal look is a good thing in my book.

I actually think the Mazda interiors for the last several years are high quality and gorgeous. They did a fantastic job updating everything. It feels and is premium inside. Altogether, I think the Mazda cars are fantastic cars to drive and handle well, too. No longer just the MX-5 that are Mazda's only good handling car. They're all fantastic.

so guys, do you remember my post from few days ago right?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249860757&postcount=4270

I was so happy I had bought a brand new q60. Put window tints, looks awesome.

Guess what happen?

giphy%2B%25282%2529.gif

I am leaving my work, and when I get close to my car, I noticed that a MOFO hit it and left without any notes. It scratched my rear bumper (which needs to be repainted for sure), busted the tailight (needs to be replaced), and scratched superficially the trunk (maybe can be buffed out).

So I contacted my dealership and they looked at pictures, might cost $1000 to $2000 to fix it. I need to take there so I can get a final definitive quote, but based on that estimate, I will file a claim with my insurance.

Fortunately I have broad collision insurance (I am in MI), so my insurance might cover everything without me having to pay deductibles. However, worst case scenario, I might have to pay my deductible which is $500

THAT A FUCKING ASSHOLE. My 2 week old car. FUCK YOU

Cowie

Guess what happen?

]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UJ_70cPinjc/WFmc9505UbI/AAAAAAAAGuY/5UeR3xona2wAAbWsNlilaA_HJRTHbd1wACLcB/s1600/giphy%2B%25282%2529.gif

I am leaving my work, and when I get close to my car, I noticed that a MOFO hit it and left without any notes. It scratched my rear bumper (which needs to be repainted for sure), busted the tailight (needs to be replaced), and scratched superficially the trunk (maybe can be buffed out).

So I contacted my dealership and they looked at pictures, might cost $1000 to $2000 to fix it. I need to take there so I can get a final definitive quote, but based on that estimate, I will file a claim with my insurance.

Fortunately I have broad collision insurance (I am in MI), so my insurance might cover everything without me having to pay deductibles. However, worst case scenario, I might have to pay my deductible which is $500

holy shit. fuck that asshole. that really sucks =(

AlphaSnake

Wow. That's fucking garbage.

Did you buy or lease the car?

If you bought it, honestly...I would not go through insurance, as it will end up on your CarFax and greatly diminish the value for something minor like this. I'd take it to a private bodyshop that doesn't report small fixes to CarFax and pay out of pocket.

Post pics so we can see.

Wow. That's fucking garbage.

Did you buy or lease the car?

If you bought it, honestly...I would not go through insurance, as it will end up on your CarFax and greatly diminish the value for something minor like this. I'd take it to a private bodyshop that doesn't report small fixes to CarFax and pay out of pocket.

Post pics so we can see.
It is a lease, but I love the car, so I might buy it at the end.

I will try to post pictures later, but the problem is that the tailight is broken, and to get one original is at least $500 t $700 since there is no aftermarket.

Then although the bumper is not severely scratched, the scratches are deep and exposing the plastic so there is no way to be fixed other than painted again , the whole bumper. That is a $400-600 job minimum.
The trunk they might buffer out, so best case scenario the repair would be at least $1000

Plus, there is a chance it will not be reported to Carfax. Plus I am almost 100 % sure I won't have to pay for deductible or anything

v1lla21

Fuck, that makes me so mad especially since it's such a beautiful car. Reminds me of when I first got my gti and my stupid ass coworker backed into it and fucked up the drivers door a week after I got it. He tried leaving without saying anything but a coworker saw him hit it.

burgerdog

Guess what happen?

giphy%2B%25282%2529.gif

I feel for you, I had the same neighbor back up into my car on two separate occasions. Destroyed my back bumper twice and the worst part is that I couldn't prove it was her because her tow hitch was black and so is my car. $500 deductible both times so who the fuck knows what the value of my car is now. Fucking jerks.

Guess what happen?

giphy%2B%25282%2529.gif

That is absolutely horrendous. I would be just as angry as you are, if not more. Your car is definitely a great car and it sucks to see something like this ever happens, much less happens in merely a few weeks since delivery...

Uploaded some pics

Screenshot_20171003_193620.png

20171003_192434.jpg

So you can see some of the scratches are deep enough that expose the plastic . Pain is coming off, so you can't just pain those areas in this case I guess, since the scratches are too deep, and you might have to paint the whole thing

This is the trunk
20171003_192732.jpg

So the scratches are more superficial here, but the pain is really rough there , not sure if it can be buffed out.however, the tailight is broken, needs to be replaced regardless. So best case scenario here, replacing an OEM tailight and painting a whole bumper is at least a $1000 job easily

AlphaSnake

It is a lease, but I love the car, so I might buy it at the end.

I will try to post pictures later, but the problem is that the tailight is broken, and to get one original is at least $500 t $700 since there is no aftermarket.

Then although the bumper is not severely scratched, the scratches are deep and exposing the plastic so there is no way to be fixed other than painted again , the whole bumper. That is a $400-600 job minimum.
The trunk they might buffer out, so best case scenario the repair would be at least $1000

Plus, there is a chance it will not be reported to Carfax. Plus I am almost 100 % sure I won't have to pay for deductible or anything

You're lucky it's a lease. Before you consider buying it out: MAKE 120% sure the repairs aren't on the CarFax and that the car will actually be worth its buy out value - many times they are not. Chances are, you're right, it won't be on a CarFax, because no police were called and no report was filed.

v1lla21

Saw a Porsche 914 on the road today and right after I snapped a picture of it a Vanquish passed by :( my spot game isn't good at all.

matmanx1

Saw a Porsche 914 on the road today and right after I snapped a picture of it a Vanquish passed by :( my spot game isn't good at all.

I find spot and snap pictures while on the road very difficult. I'm always driving and I don't really want to endanger myself or others to take a picture so I mostly watch the cool car drive by and think to myself "I wish I could have taken a picture of that!"

You're lucky it's a lease. Before you consider buying it out: MAKE 120% sure the repairs aren't on the CarFax and that the car will actually be worth its buy out value - many times they are not. Chances are, you're right, it won't be on a CarFax, because no police were called and no report was filed.

yeah, I will. My lease is a 39 month lease, so I will have plenty of time. The issue is I use this car just to go to work, I put probably 5K to 7K miles a year, so at the end of my lease, my car would still be in great condition, with very few miles. Let's see what happens.

Top Bottom