• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

v1lla21

I find spot and snap pictures while on the road very difficult. I'm always driving and I don't really want to endanger myself or others to take a picture so I mostly watch the cool car drive by and think to myself "I wish I could have taken a picture of that!"
I only try to take a picture if we're moving slow or we're stopped. The iPhone 7 opens the camera up quick so it's the only reason I try it lol.

Look what we have here. Porsche's Mission E spotted in Weissach! http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...e-electric-sedan-photographed-first-time.html

So far I like it a lot.
Yeah, looks good.

Yeah, that Mission E prototype looks lovely. It really is basically a 4 door Cayman, and it's good too see that they're clearly benchmarking it against the Model S, not that this is a surprise.

Did GM sell rebadged versions of the Opel Astra in the US?

I saw one earlier and it was running Texas plates which obviously shouldn’t be possible. So I was thinking it was a rebadge but I don’t think GM ever had a coupe version of the Cruze or whatever it was called before.

Granted I’ve seen some weirder shit, like a Renault Clio, on our highways but they’ve got Mexican plates so that’s perfectly legal. But an Opel with Texas plates?? I almost lost my shit haha.

e90Mark

Did GM sell rebadged versions of the Opel Astra in the US?

I saw one earlier and it was running Texas plates which obviously shouldn’t be possible. So I was thinking it was a rebadge but I don’t think GM ever had a coupe version of the Cruze or whatever it was called before.

Granted I’ve seen some weirder shit, like a Renault Clio, on our highways but they’ve got Mexican plates so that’s perfectly legal. But an Opel with Texas plates?? I almost lost my shit haha.

Would be the Saturn Astra in the US.

I've seen a few people here rebadge their Buick Regal with Opel badges here.

Those 4 doors throws me off, but I actually like the look of it.

Also I'm an idiot and I curbed my M2 rims. $150 down the drain as if I wasn't already in the poor house hahahahaha.

How'd you manage to curb your rims? You've had the car like a week...

Damn that Mission E looks nice!

I’d totally be all in for an all-electric future if e-cars are gonna look that good.

Ohhhhhhhhh.

That’s what it was!

The owner definitely put a lot of work in rebadging the thing. I didn’t see the front but on the back it has all Opel badges, and even an Opel license plate frame so you’d definitely be fooled into thinking it’s a legitimate Opel.

On the other hand, why go through all the trouble for that? Lol. You’ll only get idiots like me being surprised and knowing what it is. Joe Schmoe wouldn’t give a rats ass about your fake Opel Astra lol.

v1lla21

nice.

There's a guy in the bay who drives around a SS with Holden badges. Saw him on 101 once and gave him a thumbs up. Spotted a 599 GTO AND R8 today. Alpha got me out here spotting like if it was Pokémon GO.

e90Mark

Damn that Mission E looks nice!

I’d totally be all in for an all-electric future if e-cars are gonna look that good.

Ohhhhhhhhh.

That’s what it was!

The owner definitely put a lot of work in rebadging the thing. I didn’t see the front but on the back it has all Opel badges, and even an Opel license plate frame so you’d definitely be fooled into thinking it’s a legitimate Opel.

On the other hand, why go through all the trouble for that? Lol. You’ll only get idiots like me being surprised and knowing what it is. Joe Schmoe wouldn’t give a rats ass about your fake Opel Astra lol.
For the enthusiasts, I guess haha. Yeah, most people won't care. I did think the person I saw with the Opel badged Regal was probably a car enthusiast.
nice.

There's a guy in the bay who drives around a SS with Holden badges. Saw him on 101 once and gave him a thumbs up. Spotted a 599 GTO AND R8 today. Alpha got me out here spotting like if it was Pokémon GO.

The SS is a cool car. Too bad Holden/it's dead.

Akim

Banned
How'd you manage to curb your rims? You've had the car like a week...

3 years of driving a small ass honda fit and not knowing where my car was. Also not paying attention like a goober

C'mon bruh.

lol i know

1MSLux0.jpg

3 years of driving a small ass honda fit and not knowing where my car was. Also not paying attention like a goober

lol i know

That just hurts to even look at... I feel you. Eventually you'll forget about it. But every once in a while, you'll remember it's there and it'll tore you apart for a few seconds before you move on with your day.

I think you should get a new car instead. Too late for this one. /sarcasm

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
nice.

LOL. I saw another Bentayga yesterday and grabbed a pic of it. Ugh. It's spreading like a disease around here.

And yeah, every Chevy SS I'm seeing lately has Holden badges on it. It's become very common now.

My friend/neighbor has a Pontiac G8 GXP though, which I love. Such a rare vehicle. They will be worth some serious coin.

v1lla21

I've only seen two Bentaygas.
G8's are rad. Met a guy at the academy who dailied one and let me drive it to mcdonalds. Lol.

LOL. I saw another Bentayga yesterday and grabbed a pic of it. Ugh. It's spreading like a disease around here.

And yeah, every Chevy SS I'm seeing lately has Holden badges on it. It's become very common now.

My friend/neighbor has a Pontiac G8 GXP though, which I love. Such a rare vehicle. They will be worth some serious coin.

It's just one guy following you around town.

He knows what you did.

matmanx1

My local Chevy dealer here in town has a 2015 SS with like 18k miles on the clock for sale on their lot and at this point it has been there for at least 3 months. As with most Chevy products I like the outside but the inside is pretty disappointing. I'm tempted to see if I could get a test drive, just because, but I don't want to waste someone's time on a vehicle that I have no interest in actually owning.

Regardless, the overall package is compelling and the SS is a total sleeper that I respect Chevy for even selling over here.

For the enthusiasts, I guess haha. Yeah, most people won't care. I did think the person I saw with the Opel badged Regal was probably a car enthusiast.

If one Buick is putting a stick inside the Regal TourX... I’d be at the Buick dealer day one with Opel badges in my pocket haha.

Sorta related but I had the chance to drive a Pontiac GTO/Holden Monaro when I worked at the Benz dealer and I fell in love with that thing. The problem was, it was $20k and already had a ton of issues that was typical of the GM malaise era.

But man, the sound it made was intoxicating. I giggled like a schoolgirl every time I turned it on in the indoor showroom. That raucous V8 just sang and echoed through the entire building... it was glorious.

But yeah, it sat there for a little over a month before an out of state buyer bought it. I shed a pure freedom tear when I saw it getting loaded up on the trailer.

e90Mark

If one Buick is putting a stick inside the Regal TourX... I’d be at the Buick dealer day one with Opel badges in my pocket haha.

If the TourX was available without AWD, I'd bet on a 6MT. They're doing the same weird thing with the ATS. RWD has a 6MT, but not the AWD.

AlphaSnake

Sorta related but I had the chance to drive a Pontiac GTO/Holden Monaro when I worked at the Benz dealer and I fell in love with that thing. The problem was, it was $20k and already had a ton of issues that was typical of the GM malaise era.

But man, the sound it made was intoxicating. I giggled like a schoolgirl every time I turned it on in the indoor showroom. That raucous V8 just sang and echoed through the entire building... it was glorious.

But yeah, it sat there for a little over a month before an out of state buyer bought it. I shed a pure freedom tear when I saw it getting loaded up on the trailer.

I had a deposit on one back in 2006 before getting my 350Z. It was red and 6MT. The dealer sold it from under me and refunded me my deposit + a gas card for my troubles driving out to NJ...assholes.

I had a 350Z the week later, which was my goal car, but it was a 5AT. *shrug*

Pinewood

How often do you guys tinker with the idea of swapping out your current car? Not that Im not happy with my Giulietta but I keep looking at the next thing.

How often do you guys tinker with the idea of swapping out your current car? Not that Im not happy with my Giulietta but I keep looking at the next thing.

Can't afford an air cooled 911 or a 996 Turbo, so Boxster S it is.

Plus, I did end up buying that house with a garage. So I'll be happy if I can even afford to hold onto my car and collection of bikes :p.

But yeah, I have to keep telling myself that a 911 won't really make me that much happier than the Boxster.

I'e had my BRZ for 4 years now. Still enjoying it every day that I take it out. Have been getting the itch to try something new but I'll at least wait till the 5 year mark.

Pinewood

I was toying with the idea of getting a 2011 V6 Mustang, its in the similar price range and my monthly lease would go up maybe 30€.

Then I checked the insurance figures that are 3x what Im paying now so nope :)

matmanx1

Honestly? Most days I do at least a little dreaming. I'm too much of an enthusiast and fanboy not to.

However, now that I have an actual long term plan and 2 very different and very usable vehicles (one fun and one quiet and comfortable) I am committed to sticking to my plan of a new vehicle in 2020 on or around my 45th birthday.

First step is getting the garage built because if I'm going to spend Porsche-like money on my next car I need to have a proper place to park it. We gave our contractor the green light for starting the garage project on Oct. 1 so hopefully we'll be breaking ground soon and step one will be under way.

Patience is tough though. No doubt.

Is it Friday or Saturday coz I feel like there was a mini cars and coffee this morning lol.

On the way to work today I spotted an i8, real NSX, a 350Z that had a similar paint job as Han’s RX-7, Golf R, and a GT-R.

The only time stuff like this happens is when I’m driving towards C&C in the morning.

If the TourX was available without AWD, I'd bet on a 6MT. They're doing the same weird thing with the ATS. RWD has a 6MT, but not the AWD.

Man it’s a shame the SS failed then. I think that could’ve helped convince GM to stick a manual in it.

I had a deposit on one back in 2006 before getting my 350Z. It was red and 6MT. The dealer sold it from under me and refunded me my deposit + a gas card for my troubles driving out to NJ...assholes.

I had a 350Z the week later, which was my goal car, but it was a 5AT. *shrug*

That’s some fucked up shit if you ask me. A deposit is a deposit... where’s that Seinfeld gif that’s being passed around reservations? I think we need that in here lol.

Always lolol.

Even if I just got my GTI like a month ago, I’m sorta planning my next move already.

I’ve spent a good amount of time in the traditional sports car segment, now exploring the world of FI, so I’m thinking of taking a half step back to NA cars but with high power, like a Challenger or Mustang GT next.

Ultimately though, each step should get me closer to a 911 lol.

Always, although it's gotten to the point where getting something significantly better is gonna run real money (75K+) so it's kind of hard to justify as a result.

Okay wtf.

Getting out of Costco to get gas like half an hour ago... another NSX drives past me... and as I drive by the Ferrari dealer to head back to my office, a purple McLaren and green Huracan pull out of their parking lot.

Should I also start a car spotting blog or instagram? Lol.

SiteSeer

Okay wtf.

Getting out of Costco to get gas like half an hour ago... another NSX drives past me... and as I drive by the Ferrari dealer to head back to my office, a purple McLaren and green Huracan pull out of their parking lot.

Should I also start a car spotting blog or instagram? Lol.

i recently saw a '17 audi ttrs in orange on the highway. also a gray rolls royce ghost pulling out of a home depot parking lot, adjacent to the lambo/rr dealer.

KRaZyAmmo

One night on my way to get Panda express. I saw a LB/RB R35, McLaren 650S, and a Maserati Gran Turismo at a Korean BBQ/Chinese hot pot place. Then a widebodied DC5 at another place. On my way back there was also a S2K on RPF1s. I didn't have my phone (which I kinda regret).

v1lla21

Y'all gonna have a hard time beating alpha at the spot game.

Saw an 8 series BMW today. Owner has taken great care of it because it looks brand new.

AlphaSnake

Y'all gonna have a hard time beating alpha at the spot game.

Saw an 8 series BMW today. Owner has taken great care of it because it looks brand new.

LOL.

I'm guessing you're subbed to my Instagram? I've got so many pictures I haven't even posted yet, it's ridiculous.

negitoro7

There are many cars I dream about daily. Mostly ones that I might have a chance owning one day such as: M2, RS3, TTRS.

Actually tinkering with the idea of swapping for another car though? I currently drive the best car (for my needs) that I can afford, so I'm quite happy.

lord pie

Look what we have here. Porsche's Mission E spotted in Weissach! http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...e-electric-sedan-photographed-first-time.html

So far I like it a lot. Sort of looks like a Cayman in sedan form which is no bad thing.

Looks very nice and I love the look of the Cayman, but is it just me or does it look really, really long? Like almost impractically long?

I like cars that make good use of their dimensions, really happy with my golf for that reason. Also why I'm keen on the electric ipace, looks really efficiently packaged.

matmanx1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdJpthicsdc

There it is, faster than a 918 from a rolling start.

I'm not sure about the rolling start but Porsche's own GT2 RS is also now faster than the 918 for 1/4th the cost. Technology is moving at a rapid pace in terms of making a street legal car also be ridiculously capable and fast.

Looks very nice and I love the look of the Cayman, but is it just me or does it look really, really long? Like almost impractically long?

I like cars that make good use of their dimensions, really happy with my golf for that reason. Also why I'm keen on the electric ipace, looks really efficiently packaged.

Your comment brings to mind the Panamera which Porsche offers in a regular size and long wheel base version. I wonder if they plan to do the same with the Mission E? It would certainly make sense considering how popular the long wheel base versions are in Asian markets.

Top Bottom