• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

ameratsu

^ That sucks man, I hate rust so much.

I had a 99 GS-R that I recently sold. After taking apart the trim in the hatch area to fix a sunroof leak a couple years ago and looking underneath the car it really became obvious that it wasn't worth fixing. Truly wish it wasn't so bad as I would have just kept it.

Hope it isn't as bad as it looks when you get the rear windshield off.

yea i'm just hoping it is limited to the piece between the glass and trunk.

Guess i'll find out eventually. Luckily I know most of the other rust areas are just surface stuff that will be sanded off. I wish the body wasn't so damn straight, would give me at least a reason for moving on and trying to find a better 2G.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I drove one a year ago, a pre-production model. It was quite something.

Was the exhaust note as absolutely spine-tingling IRL as it was in Doug's video? I mean, that sounded like an absolute monster.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Was the exhaust note as absolutely spine-tingling IRL as it was in Doug's video? I mean, that sounded like an absolute monster.

Yeah, it's pretty bad ass. Car is deceptively fast too - it accelerates so smooth, that in a video I have, I go from something like 30-100MPH+ without even realizing how fast I got there. V12 + Twin Turbo is one hell of a smooth recipe.

sfedai0

Banned
holy shit I didnt see there was a second clip...was wondering where the KO was. That idiot actually went back for seconds?? Hope he gets his jaw broken for that.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yeah, it's pretty bad ass. Car is deceptively fast too - it accelerates so smooth, that in a video I have, I go from something like 30-100MPH+ without even realizing how fast I got there. V12 + Twin Turbo is one hell of a smooth recipe.

That's amazing. It's such a sublime ride from what I can tell. Jealous you got to go cruising.

Nice rainy day here in the PDX, Got tail happy in my Cayman, and it was HOLY SH*T fun. I love how this thing rotates and how controllable it is. You just kick it out right after starting the turn then feather the throttle to control it.

So glad I bought this damn thing. It's just way too much fun, even doing stupid stuff like buying cat food. <3

Doesn't hurt any that all my clients love it, too.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
tbh the dude looked like a slightly not all that well homeless guy. I think what happened was more or less just but damn if this isn't a perfect representation of what's going on in San Francisco right now.

Nothing about him looked homeless or not well. His clothing alone and the hat looked pretty decent, as well as his bag.

Nice rainy day here in the PDX, Got tail happy in my Cayman, and it was HOLY SH*T fun. I love how this thing rotates and how controllable it is. You just kick it out right after starting the turn then feather the throttle to control it.

So glad I bought this damn thing. It's just way too much fun, even doing stupid stuff like buying cat food. <3

Doesn't hurt any that all my clients love it, too.

Wow, I thought I was the only one insane enough to buy cat food with it. *high five*

Wow, I thought I was the only one insane enough to buy cat food with it. *high five*

&#128400;&#128074;

I don’t get why more folks don’t daily their sports cars. Mine is easy as heck to park, gets decent gas mileage and is entertaining at parking lot speed. Drop it into second or third and it’ll drop damn near anything on the highway. The frunk is easy to access and holds a ton of stuff. These things are built to be driven, not sit in a garage.

I dunno why but watching Randy Pobst talk about his obsession with Swedish cars is really endearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8teV5nuEEI

I don’t get why more folks don’t daily their sports cars. Mine is easy as heck to park, gets decent gas mileage and is entertaining at parking lot speed. Drop it into second or third and it’ll drop damn near anything on the highway. The frunk is easy to access and holds a ton of stuff. These things are built to be driven, not sit in a garage.

Agreed 100%.

The moment I get a 911, I'll be daily driving that thing like I did with my Miata... unless I have kid duties, then that'll be the GTI instead lol.

kirblar

Hey, my car has developed a cooling issue (and with nealy 200K miles, is basically at death's door.)

I was looking through the Hertz used car inventory here- http://www.hertzcarsalesleesburg.com/certified-inventory/index.htm?sortBy=internetPrice asc& and was going to stop by tomorrow. Was interested in looking at the Fiesta/Focus/Sonic and could use any advice on those models/brands/etc. (Budgeting 12K/60 atm, have loan approvals in tow) The Focus/Sonic LTZ had rear dash cams- were those worth paying the extra money to jump to that tier? Or any experiences w/ buying a used rental? They were one of the few used places BoA would deal with, and the recency/model quality was outclassing any other used cars near me.

Makki

Hey, my car has developed a cooling issue (and with nealy 200K miles, is basically at death's door.)

I was looking through the Hertz used car inventory here- http://www.hertzcarsalesleesburg.com/certified-inventory/index.htm?sortBy=internetPrice asc& and was going to stop by tomorrow. Was interested in looking at the Fiesta/Focus/Sonic and could use any advice on those models/brands/etc. (Budgeting 12K/60 atm, have loan approvals in tow) The Focus/Sonic LTZ had rear dash cams- were those worth paying the extra money to jump to that tier? Or any experiences w/ buying a used rental? They were one of the few used places BoA would deal with, and the recency/model quality was outclassing any other used cars near me.

I treat the rentals I drive like shit, gun the throttle, squeal the tires, dont dodge pot holes, etc. I would not buy a rental lol.

v1lla21

Damn, sauce is the new cryptocurrency. GameStop will probably have the SNES in stock tomorrow. I’ll try to pick up a couple and see if anyone wanna trade those for a car. Lol.

I’ve been eyeing MR2’s. That was originally the car I wanted to get but I wasn’t having any luck finding turbo versions at all where they weren’t modded to hell and back. By the time I found one I had already bought the gti. It’s either an mr2 or a nb Miata as my second car. Really want a rwd I can fuck about in.

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/...et-of-mcdonalds-szechuan-sauce-for-volkswagen

Ummm...what the fuck?

McDonalds Sauce = currency for Volkswagen GTI?

Being part of the K-Pop fandom, I've stopped being surprised when people do stupid shit for things... but this is a whole 'nother level even crazy K-Pop fans will never touch.

We'll waste our time insulting all the K-Pop idols all we want, but we're not dumb enough to trade a car for some stupid sauce that McD's is planning to bring back in the future anyway.

Damn, sauce is the new cryptocurrency. GameStop will probably have the SNES in stock tomorrow. I'll try to pick up a couple and see if anyone wanna trade those for a car. Lol.

Shiiiii... I picked up a SNES Classic on release day and hacked it last night to play Chrono Trigger and NBA Jam... I'll gladly hand over my SNES Classic for any 911 with a stick!

Get an MR2 so you can go sideways easily! Or a Mazdaspeed Miata if you can find one that isn't ridiculously overpriced.

matmanx1

&#128400;&#128074;

Absolute truth. I daily drove my 987 Boxster for almost a year and it was certainly more practical than my current NC Miata which I also daily. Porsche cars have always been built to be driven hard its just the recent jump in the value of certain models has encouraged a "collector" mentality where some would rather treat their cars as museum pieces. If Ferdinand Porsche were still around I imagine he would find the whole concept pretty silly because he was known for driving the wheels off of the cars he owned and tested.

As a consumer I am not looking forward to the price that I am going to have to pay if I want to go ahead with a new or CPO Porsche purchase in a couple of years. They are expensive and the options list feels like it was meant to suck money directly out of your bank account. But I also know that for 90 minutes of track time in the Macan GTS that car took everything that I and the instructor could throw at it and never had a single warning light, never needed a cool down period, never showed the slightest bit of brake fade and kept us both cool and comfortable at the same time.

It's pretty obvious to me that Porsche wants to get the message out that their vehicles are meant still meant to be driven hard and are built in such a way as to handle that kind of abuse over the long term. In that respect I feel that when the time comes I will be getting what I paid for.

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/...et-of-mcdonalds-szechuan-sauce-for-volkswagen

Ummm...what the fuck?

McDonalds Sauce = currency for Volkswagen GTI?

Absolutely bonkers. As someone with no former knowledge of the Szechuan sauce craze I am pretty flabbergasted by this. But hey, good for her!

You know, Porsche gets a bunch of crap for being expensive. Blah blah, you can buy a Corvette for much cheaper that will outperform it or whatever. And the options list bloats the price so fast that it'll make your head spin. None of these things are even remotely incorrect, either.

The thing is, they're basically the closest thing you can get to a fully hand built car specced exactly to what you want from the factory from a straight track car to a comfy GT convertible. There's what, like 100 different combinations of interior trim pieces for the 911? Plus 6 or 7 different engine configurations. Hell, there's like 8 different colors of available seatbelts. Not to mention custom exterior colors too.

If you're going to buy a perfect, special car you intend to die with, you'd be hard pressed to find something better than one of these. AFAIK nobody else offers anything close.

I'm starting to see 2017 911s used, and I've been really tempted to go drive one and see what I think.

matmanx1

You know, Porsche gets a bunch of crap for being expensive. Blah blah, you can buy a Corvette for much cheaper that will outperform it or whatever. And the options list bloats the price so fast that it'll make your head spin. None of these things are even remotely incorrect, either.

The thing is, they're basically the closest thing you can get to a fully hand built car specced exactly to what you want from the factory from a straight track car to a comfy GT convertible. There's what, like 100 different combinations of interior trim pieces for the 911? Plus 6 or 7 different engine configurations. Hell, there's like 8 different colors of available seatbelts. Not to mention custom exterior colors too.

If you're going to buy a perfect, special car you intend to die with, you'd be hard pressed to find something better than one of these. AFAIK nobody else offers anything close.

I'm starting to see 2017 911s used, and I've been really tempted to go drive one and see what I think.

Speaking of, if you want to see a really detailed look at the options list on the new 718's Nick Murray (he does a lot of Porsche themed videos and does a good job with them) did a video and went through almost every single one step by step with explanations and his opinions on if they were worth the money. It's over an hour long but if you are interested in possibly buying one then it might be an hour well spent. I know I learned a lot from it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNm5hvk2C78&t=2378s

v1lla21

Being part of the K-Pop fandom, I've stopped being surprised when people do stupid shit for things... but this is a whole 'nother level even crazy K-Pop fans will never touch.

We'll waste our time insulting all the K-Pop idols all we want, but we're not dumb enough to trade a car for some stupid sauce that McD's is planning to bring back in the future anyway.

Shiiiii... I picked up a SNES Classic on release day and hacked it last night to play Chrono Trigger and NBA Jam... I'll gladly hand over my SNES Classic for any 911 with a stick!

Get an MR2 so you can go sideways easily! Or a Mazdaspeed Miata if you can find one that isn't ridiculously overpriced.
Maybe I’ll bite on any mr2 and turn it into a long term project where I drop a v6 in there

Maybe I’ll bite on any mr2 and turn it into a long term project where I drop a v6 in there

Would it even fit in the engine bay? Lol.

This sounds like a great idea though, the added weight of the V6 engine should be able to mitigate some of the oversteering tendencies of an MR car.

v1lla21

Would it even fit in the engine bay? Lol.

This sounds like a great idea though, the added weight of the V6 engine should be able to mitigate some of the oversteering tendencies of an MR car.
I’ve read about v6 swapped mr2s and the guy who fixed my car the last time it got hit was telling me he was gonna do it to his, but he needed a custom harness done which he was waiting for. Haven’t looked much into it but if I were to get one, that’d be my end goal. I think Matt did a one take with a v6 swapped mr2. I’ll look for it.
Here it is
https://youtu.be/bkfVnkFzeZk

Pinewood

Speaking of, if you want to see a really detailed look at the options list on the new 718's Nick Murray (he does a lot of Porsche themed videos and does a good job with them) did a video and went through almost every single one step by step with explanations and his opinions on if they were worth the money. It's over an hour long but if you are interested in possibly buying one then it might be an hour well spent. I know I learned a lot from it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNm5hvk2C78&t=2378s

So this is what Evo X has been up to lately :p

Momentary

Banned
:||

On a curb or something? Parking?

It was my Scion tC and it was on a curb that was like a foot and a half high. I was taking some coworkers through a drive through and it had an absurdly high curb. I didn't even order anything since I don't eat fast food. It just irks me cause it's the first car I ever paid off and it's treated me well, but I end up damaging it. It's only going to cost about $300 to fix. I'll probably see how much it will cost for them to fix some other minor areas damaged by rocks . I don't plan on ever trading it in or anything. Might as well get the thing back into prime shape. I bought it brand new in 2013 and it almost has 85,000 miles on it. Never had one issue with the car.

&#128400;&#128074;

While I agree with you, there are two things:
  1. Not all sports cars are as practical and have as much storage space as a Cayman/Boxster
  2. While I daily my sports cars often enough, I don't think I would be the only one who would agree when saying I kind of worry a bit when parking the car because you never know what another driver will do to your car in the parking lot. Like...Have you ever parked a car at a Walmart in San Jose or an Asian Supermarket in San Jose or LA? Well, you wouldn't want to go to these places ever again if you had a nice car and saw people reversing into your car because they are terrible at driving, opening up their car doors forcefully and putting a dent into your car. My favorite as seeing people just push shopping carts into cars.

I do worry about the thing in parking lots. A LOT.

But then, I'm one of those clueless librul types that'll tell you buying expensive rice at the Whole Foods is cheaper than eating frozen dinners from Wal-Mart provided you know how to cook and have life skills and stuff. I'm maybe half right, I promise. Which is why I can afford a Porsche ;)

I haven't shopped at a proper ghetto Wal Mart in about 3 years, but I know exactly what you're talking about. I haven't ever lived in CA, but the chicken dinner Wal-Mart winner for me is a certain ghetto one on the west end of Albuquerque. I think the entire people of Wal-Mart site picture selection was photographed there.

It's weird as holy hell going from being a kid with a sh*t home situation that moved out of the house at 17, worked at BK while having to walk miles to get there to pushing a proper, special sports car around. Teaches you more about privilege than I'd like to admit. But then we're getting way off topic with that discussion.

There are days when I want to buy a POS SUV for regular joe stuff and camping. It'll probably happen in the next year or two.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I would do bad things to that car.

Only thing I would change is the colored wheel arches. Maybe those fat slicks. Also I would like it in a light metallic blue.

G8z7cTM.jpg

DrMungo

I had a pre-purchase inspection done on a car I wanted to purchase at the dealership.
I was out of town so I asked that the report be emailed to me.
Are these PPI always this bare bones? Its barely 100 words. It can fit on a receipt

just brief comments "recommend major tune up". "Recommend replacing ignition coils."

It was an old Porsche 996, and there was no comment about the engine, RMS, or IMS bearing.

Half the the report was shit I can see/measure with my amateur eyes - like tire wear, dash wear, brake pads.

I feel ripped off

golem

1. While I daily my sports cars often enough, I don't think I would be the only one who would agree when saying I kind of worry a bit when parking the car because you never know what another driver will do to your car in the parking lot. Like...Have you ever parked a car at a Walmart in San Jose or an Asian Supermarket in San Jose or LA? Well, you wouldn't want to go to these places ever again if you had a nice car and saw people reversing into your car because they are terrible at driving, opening up their car doors forcefully and putting a dent into your car. My favorite as seeing people just push shopping carts into cars.
Yep just found a nice solid ding in my GT4 fender this morning and two weeks ago some one backed into my front bumper paralleling (no damage, clear bra took the hit). People suck at life unfortunately

Bandit1

So here is the hot garbage i'm dealing with on this prelude.

Front end stuff i'm not too worried about since the hood looked like the fenders. I had a local body shop re paint the hood and it still looks good even after sitting for a couple of years. That rust under the rear glass sucks though. Have to remove the glass and see what lies beneath. Hoping to get the car in the shop within the next month or so and do the work over winter. Won't really know what needs to be replaced until I have it on a lift and can check the full underside components for wear. Just hoping I'll be able to keep the crx as well.

That's a shame about the rust. Unfortunately rust can be somewhat common in that area on older cars as moisture tends to settle in there. Hopefully things aren't too much worse underneath. A lot of us dig your old cars by the way, never be afraid to post them!

Gus-Dooo-It.gif

Top Bottom