• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

rokkerkory

YAYEEEE first power mod

Feels and Sounds great!

22449748_10155618202593758_7242421114486286083_n.jpg

Serious question..Is it possible to get a civic type R for near msrp is norcal?

I haven't even seen a Civic Type R for sale in a while. A fast search only shows Si's available right now new. No Type R's. I remember them going for sale at MSRP or even higher not long ago...

Yep just found a nice solid ding in my GT4 fender this morning and two weeks ago some one backed into my front bumper paralleling (no damage, clear bra took the hit). People suck at life unfortunately

That's...disheartening. Hopefully you have a garage to store it in. The GT4 is a gorgeous machine, wish people didn't mess yours up...Not many of them around.

Oh gawd. The east side is the worst. Lol.

I forgot you know these areas...Haha. They are indeed terrible... I try to stay away from them. If I need to go to them, I use my trusty daily's.

I do worry about the thing in parking lots. A LOT.

But then, I'm one of those clueless librul types that'll tell you buying expensive rice at the Whole Foods is cheaper than eating frozen dinners from Wal-Mart provided you know how to cook and have life skills and stuff. I'm maybe half right, I promise. Which is why I can afford a Porsche ;)

I haven't shopped at a proper ghetto Wal Mart in about 3 years, but I know exactly what you're talking about. I haven't ever lived in CA, but the chicken dinner Wal-Mart winner for me is a certain ghetto one on the west end of Albuquerque. I think the entire people of Wal-Mart site picture selection was photographed there.

It's weird as holy hell going from being a kid with a sh*t home situation that moved out of the house at 17, worked at BK while having to walk miles to get there to pushing a proper, special sports car around. Teaches you more about privilege than I'd like to admit. But then we're getting way off topic with that discussion.

There are days when I want to buy a POS SUV for regular joe stuff and camping. It'll probably happen in the next year or two.

I totally know the feeling. I wasn't really rich or anything either. But working hard eventually got me to where I am, too. But still, I'm nowhere near a wealthy as a lot of people in the Bay Area... so I can't afford like...a fleet of super cars or anything. But even having one sports car is great and fun. I feel like aside from this small NeoGaf Auto thread...no one else really cares about cars. I'm always excited when I meet someone at work who is into cars and can drive a standard/manual car. It's so sad. Congrats on your car, by the way. She's a beauty. Take good care of the Cayman 981. Love the sound. Always brings a smile to me when having a bad day.

YAYEEEE first power mod

Feels and Sounds great!

22449748_10155618202593758_7242421114486286083_n.jpg

That's awesome... I wish I could do mods, haha. How long did it take?

matmanx1

I had a pre-purchase inspection done on a car I wanted to purchase at the dealership.
I was out of town so I asked that the report be emailed to me.
Are these PPI always this bare bones? Its barely 100 words. It can fit on a receipt

just brief comments "recommend major tune up". "Recommend replacing ignition coils."

It was an old Porsche 996, and there was no comment about the engine, RMS, or IMS bearing.

Half the the report was shit I can see/measure with my amateur eyes - like tire wear, dash wear, brake pads.

I feel ripped off

Give them a call and see if you can talk to the tech who did the inspection. Let them know that 100 words is not sufficient for the money that you paid them to do the inspection. If they are on the up and up they will want to satisfy you as a customer.

Yep just found a nice solid ding in my GT4 fender this morning and two weeks ago some one backed into my front bumper paralleling (no damage, clear bra took the hit). People suck at life unfortunately

I am ashamed to admit that when I owned my 987 Boxster that I parked it WAY out at the edge of the parking lot and did a lot of extra walking so that I could cut down on the possibility of someone parking next to me. It felt snobbish but when you have a nice car, you want to protect it, right?

My current workplace is much, much better about having protected parking spots and I also have a beater SUV that I drive to work a couple days a week. But when I buy my next "good" car you can bet I am going to be super careful with it!

burgerdog

I am ashamed to admit that when I owned my 987 Boxster that I parked it WAY out at the edge of the parking lot and did a lot of extra walking so that I could cut down on the possibility of someone parking next to me. It felt snobbish but when you have a nice car, you want to protect it, right?

My current workplace is much, much better about having protected parking spots and I also have a beater SUV that I drive to work a couple days a week. But when I buy my next "good" car you can bet I am going to be super careful with it!

Nothing wrong with that. I park as far away as possible whenever possible. I think that's something we all do when we really care and love our cars.

You know what's the absolute worst? When you park that far away and then someone decides to park right next to you.

I haven't even seen a Civic Type R for sale in a while. A fast search only shows Si's available right now new. No Type R's. I remember them going for sale at MSRP or even higher not long ago...

Theres one in Vallejo but black + 10k mark up..
I prefer white and as close to msrp as possible...pipe dream?

golem

Haha yeah when I got my first nice car I did that but soon it became apparent I just have terrible luck with cars lol. I try not to get too worked up about material possessions however, since mostly they can be fixed up just fine. I was probably being foolish parking on the left side of a street though since people have enough problems paralleling on the right side here haha

matmanx1

Haha yeah when I got my first nice car I did that but soon it became apparent I just have terrible luck with cars lol. I try not to get too worked up about material possessions however, since mostly they can be fixed up just fine. I was probably being foolish parking on the left side of a street though since people have enough problems paralleling on the right side here haha

You have the right attitude and in fact my wife and I had this conversation today with some friends of ours. We were talking about Tesla and the Model S and the next comment was "well, if I had a car that nice I would be afraid to drive or park it anywhere and if it got scratched it would kill me". To which I responded, a car is a car and its meant to be driven and to get you from point A to point B, no matter how nice it is. You can't get too hung up on stuff like that or you'll never really be enjoying your vehicle to the fullest.

Momentary

Banned
Went over to the SuperFormance headquarters today and man...

Car looks and sounds amazing in person. It's got creature comforts like bluetooth, navigation, and iphone/android compatibility, power windows, power steering, and A/C. The trunk space is enormous. About as much as my Scion tC with my seats let down. The only iffy thing is that the rims were painted white. But the more I look at it the better it looks since it's the same white used for the stripes. I asked about getting the brakes update to 6 and 4 piston black Wilwood calipers with slightly bigger rotors. The exhaust is custom and it puts the F-Type R's to complete shame. It was the most intoxicating noise ever. It dyno'd at 525 hp/ 530 lbs.ft. torque. While my F-Type R is around 450whp if I remember correctly.

What's everyone else opinions on the wheels? Should I ask them to be powder coated back to the grey.

This one already has 5300 miles on it so the engine is pretty much broken in. It's also a 2015 show model that has never been owned by anyone. So 2500 miles a year isn't bad I feel for a car like this. I'd probably easily put 5000 miles on it in a year. They've probably already had customers get on it pretty hard too. There's also pain scraped underneath the front of the car. This is going to happen eventually, but I wonder if I could talk them into repairing it and re-applying the clear bra again. I'm gonna try and talk them down a bit in price.

There is also the option to have one built with a 8 month turn around time. I would probably take the roundels and racing stripes off. I'd at least not have to worry about numbers... but at the same time I feel the car looks right with them. I don't know what to do. This is going to be my last gas powered purchase after the El Camino. I really want to make it one I don't end up slightly regretting after moving to electric.

matmanx1

Car looks and sounds amazing in person. It's got creature comforts like bluetooth, navigation, and iphone/android compatibility, power windows, power steering, and A/C. The trunk space is enormous. About as much as my Scion tC with my seats let down. The only iffy thing is that the rims were painted white. But the more I look at it the better it looks since it's the same white used for the stripes. I asked about getting the brakes update to 6 and 4 piston black Wilwood calipers with slightly bigger rotors. The exhaust is custom and it puts the F-Type R's to complete shame. It was the most intoxicating noise ever. It dyno'd at 525 hp/ 530 lbs.ft. torque. While my F-Type R is around 450whp if I remember correctly.

What's everyone else opinions on the wheels? Should I ask them to be powder coated back to the grey.

This one already has 5300 miles on it so the engine is pretty much broken in. It's also a 2015 show model that has never been owned by anyone. So 2500 miles a year isn't bad I feel for a car like this. I'd probably easily put 5000 miles on it in a year. They've probably already had customers get on it pretty hard too. There's also pain scraped underneath the front of the car. This is going to happen eventually, but I wonder if I could talk them into repairing it and re-applying the clear bra again. I'm gonna try and talk them down a bit in price.

There is also the option to have one built with a 8 month turn around time. I would probably take the roundels and racing stripes off. I'd at least not have to worry about numbers... but at the same time I feel the car looks right with them. I don't know what to do. This is going to be my last gas powered purchase after the El Camino. I really want to make it one I don't end up slightly regretting after moving to electric.

Awesome, awesome machine. I personally like the white wheels on that car but that's just my 2 cents. As a complete package the appearance works. It's got the look of a 60's racing car complete with stripes and numbers so in that respect the graphics are successful.

In terms of this car versus a new one, I guess it comes down to the price difference and how much you like this slightly used one versus one that you commissioned and customized.

Bandit1

Car looks absolutely awesome... I doubt I would have picked the white wheels to begin with, but I think they look good on there. As for blue with white stripes and the numbers, to me that's the look for these cars. I wouldn't have it any other way, but this is going to be yours so do it your way!

Momentary

Banned
Yeah. I looked up some paint jobs without the stripes and roundels and the car looks naked for some reason lol. Yeah. I'm gonna call them up on Monday with a proposal. The rear window needs to be re-seated to be a bit more flush with the body. The scrub on the bottom of the bumper that can't be seen is something I'd like to be repainted and re-bra'd because I know it's there. I know it's going to be scraped again anyways, but I'd rather be the one to do it lol. I'll also ask for the Wilwoods to be thrown in as well.

The only downside to all of this is that my wife doesn't like the look of the car. She said it looks like something an old man would drive. I guess she better start calling me grandpa then. To me it's more than just the car, it's the history behind it and how Pete Brock was basically scoffed at for it's design until he finally showed people what it was capable of and stomped Ferrari at LeMans with Bob Bondurant at the wheel.

When I first got my Miata I did this lolol. But I was also in college back then and that was the most expensive and nicest thing I’ve had at that point. I think about a year later I just stopped caring and parked it anywhere it can fit lol.

With the GTI, I want to park it far but I’m too damn lazy these days haha. At work, I park it sorta far from the door but that’s only coz our parking lot is lined with trees, so tree sap, bird shit, berries, leaves, and whatever else keeps falling and falling and dirties up my car.

Dooooooo it lol.

Keep the white wheels!

matmanx1

The only downside to all of this is that my wife doesn't like the look of the car. She said it looks like something an old man would drive. I guess she better start calling me grandpa then. To me it's more than just the car, it's the history behind it and how Pete Brock was basically scoffed at for it's design until he finally showed people what it was capable of and stomped Ferrari at LeMans with Bob Bondurant at the wheel.

In my experience, most significant others do not really understand why we like the cars we do or how we are able to love them so much. The best we can do is try to explain why it's important and why it has meaning to us. And then, if they still don't get it or if they still want to poke fun at us then that's on them. At that point we really have to decide that it doesn't truly matter what anyone else thinks as long as we are doing what we are doing for the right reason (the right reason is we really love driving and owning that certain car with all of the tangible and intangible reasons behind it).

Maaan, German engineering can be a pain in the butt.

I was at the car wash earlier and got the Rain-X option so a guy had to manually apply it. I was trying to pull up the wipers and it was just locked in place... turns out I had to put the ignition in position 1, turn it off then immediately push down the wiper stalk so the wipers will go into its "service position" from there you can easily lift up the wipers. And of course to put it down, you had to do the same thing pretty much.

@_____@

Lmao we sat there for a couple of minutes trying to figure it out until a guy in an Audi A4 next to me told me about the "service position" of the damn wipers lol.

In my experience, most significant others do not really understand why we like the cars we do or how we are able to love them so much. The best we can do is try to explain why it's important and why it has meaning to us. And then, if they still don't get it or if they still want to poke fun at us then that's on them. At that point we really have to decide that it doesn't truly matter what anyone else thinks as long as we are doing what we are doing for the right reason (the right reason is we really love driving and owning that certain car with all of the tangible and intangible reasons behind it).

Lmao this is probably the reason why I've been single for some time but I always throw in a question about cars on first dates.

I usually ask about their dream or favorite car and I can sorta tell what the person is judging by their answer. More often than not, the answer I get is a variation of I don't care, or I never thought about it. The ones that do answer though always mention about a car they used to have as it specifically relates to the memories they made rather than the stuff that we enthusiasts care about.

But anyway, yeah... I personally don't care about what someone thinks about my love for cars. And every time somebody tries to chide me for it, I always ask if they'd rather see me wasting my time/money on drugs and that usually shuts them up pretty quick.

ameratsu

Maaan, German engineering can be a pain in the butt.

I was at the car wash earlier and got the Rain-X option so a guy had to manually apply it. I was trying to pull up the wipers and it was just locked in place... turns out I had to put the ignition in position 1, turn it off then immediately push down the wiper stalk so the wipers will go into its "service position" from there you can easily lift up the wipers. And of course to put it down, you had to do the same thing pretty much.

@_____@

Lmao we sat there for a couple of minutes trying to figure it out until a guy in an Audi A4 next to me told me about the "service position" of the damn wipers lol.

Wait until you do the Konami code to reset the "service now!" / Oil change warning warning that comes up every so often: https://www.carworklog.com/2016/10/...rvice-nowinspection-notifications-on-the-mk7/

v1lla21

Lol fuck the wipers for real.
My gf appreciates cars after I started getting her into them. I’ve taken her to the drag strip to see the runs and to Laguna Seca for a couple of races. She loves carweek as well so it’s cool that we kinda share an interest in cars. She told me her plan is to get the Type R after she graduates but we’ll see about that. I’ve mentioned it to her that I really want to get an r32 or an s15 and she’d prefer that I’d save up for an r32 because it looks “cooler”. Lol

matmanx1

Speaking of significant others, my wife is on Fall Break from her teaching job so we're heading down to Carmax later to walk the lot and do some looking. We won't be buying anything for her today, it's not time yet, but I am interested to see what she will like.

We've got a while yet, I would say middle of next year at the earliest, but it won't hurt for her to go ahead and start forming some opinions and maybe get some ideas of things she'd like to take a closer look at in 2018.

sfedai0

Banned
Stuck between getting a BRZ, Si, or another S2k. Has anyone owned both S2k and BRZ? Will I notice the lack of HP in teh BRZ?

Yeah, I don't really have the car issue with my lady. We took the back roads down to the beach a few weeks ago and even in the passenger seat it was a mindblowing moment for her. <3

The only "car issue" we have is that she's still pushing an old Rav4 that I'm going to have to eventually help her replace if I don't want the neighbors thinking I'm a selfish asshole.

Yeah, I don't really have the car issue with my lady. We took the back roads down to the beach a few weeks ago and even in the passenger seat it was a mindblowing moment for her. <3

The only "car issue" we have is that she's still pushing an old Rav4 that I'm going to have to eventually help her replace if I don't want the neighbors thinking I'm a selfish asshole.

Sounds like the next logical car for her would be the Jaguar F Pace or Porsche Macan. Accept no substitutes.

Sounds like the next logical car for her would be the Jaguar F Pace or Porsche Macan. Accept no substitutes.

She wants a truck with an extended/king cab, though, and I have no idea on that one.

The Colorado/Canyon and Ridgeline are good but she doesn't want a short box and decently optioned they get into the 40s. And they're slow. Really slow.

You can get a Silverado/Sierra or an F150 decently optioned for about the same price with incentives but then you have to deal with a giant land whale in PDX that has pencil thin roads.

Maybe the Ranger will get it done whenever it appears. It might well if they stuff a turbo V6 in it with a "street" trim.

I saw my first new nsx in the wild and photos don't do it justice. Absolutely amazing presence.

A friend of a friend has one in white and it's really something. I loved looking into the gaping vents on the sides.

She wants a truck with an extended/king cab, though, and I have no idea on that one.

The Colorado/Canyon and Ridgeline are good but she doesn't want a short box and decently optioned they get into the 40s. And they're slow. Really slow.

You can get a Silverado/Sierra or an F150 decently optioned for about the same price with incentives but then you have to deal with a giant land whale in PDX that has pencil thin roads.

Maybe the Ranger will get it done whenever it appears. It might well if they stuff a turbo V6 in it with a "street" trim.

Tell her no. Not knowing anything about you or her or your lifestyle I can still almost guarantee that that is not the kind of vehicle she needs. I know everyone has different vehicles they like and some people just like big trucks but man I have such a hard time justifying their existence outside of a niche market.

If you have horses though then mea culpa.

matmanx1

This right here is what I am trying to avoid. My wife only wants to replace her car once the wheels fall off and keeps telling me she'll be fine with her current ride as long as we keep it running. But I'm sorry, I can't be the guy who drives around in a new Macan GTS in a few years while my amazing wife (and she is amazing and totally deserves good things in life) is still in her scratched, dented (multiple tree limbs in our yard have fallen on her car and left small dings and scratches) and totally outdated 06 Altima. I just can't do that.

With our trip to Carmax today we had a discussion about the whole car thing and I think she's starting to get on board with a 2018 or 2019 replacement of some sort. It won't be anything fancy simply because she doesn't like to spend money on a car for herself but if I can at least get her into a gently used Mazda 3 or 6 then I'll know she's driving a good, safe, practical and fun car even if she doesn't completely appreciate the fact.

ascii42

Generally on the smaller pickups, standard and extended cabs have a ~6 foot bed, king/crew/whatever cabs have ~5 foot beds. You can get long bed king cabs in full size trucks, but as you said, land whale. I’d have to think the V6 smaller pickups wouldn’t be that slow these days. But it’s all relative to what you are used to, my family used to have a 4-cylinder S-10, which produced around 120 hp. It was not a fast truck.

Just out of curiosity, why does she want that type of vehicle? Seems like even a big departure from a Rav4.

This right here is what I am trying to avoid. My wife only wants to replace her car once the wheels fall off and keeps telling me she'll be fine with her current ride as long as we keep it running. But I'm sorry, I can't be the guy who drives around in a new Macan GTS in a few years while my amazing wife (and she is amazing and totally deserves good things in life) is still in her scratched, dented (multiple tree limbs in our yard have fallen on her car and left small dings and scratches) and totally outdated 06 Altima. I just can't do that.

With our trip to Carmax today we had a discussion about the whole car thing and I think she's starting to get on board with a 2018 or 2019 replacement of some sort. It won't be anything fancy simply because she doesn't like to spend money on a car for herself but if I can at least get her into a gently used Mazda 3 or 6 then I'll know she's driving a good, safe, practical and fun car even if she doesn't completely appreciate the fact.

You're a good husband. She also seems awesome. I like the compromise you two have worked out. Mazda 3 and 6 are also great cars, by the way. I've recommended it to friends and they've purchased and like them a lot.

A friend of a friend has one in white and it's really something. I loved looking into the gaping vents on the sides.

Tell her no. Not knowing anything about you or her or your lifestyle I can still almost guarantee that that is not the kind of vehicle she needs. I know everyone has different vehicles they like and some people just like big trucks but man I have such a hard time justifying their existence outside of a niche market.

If you have horses though then mea culpa.

My opinion isn't too far from this, but I can see how other people could want it. Not just for the niche, but for the "cool" factor as well.

Just out of curiosity, why does she want that type of vehicle? Seems like even a big departure from a Rav4.

It is. It’s a house purchase thing. Chickens, a garden and a dog. Home improvement stuff. Plus something with real off road capabilities for camping and hauling kayaks. She’d be perfectly happy with a cheap Taco, and so would I. It’s just that at the end of the day I think she deserves better, plus they’re not great daily use vehicles. I actually don’t care what other people think, and I know we’ll come up with an agreement. Adulting is fun like that!

As a Texan, I fully approve of buying a truck to actually haul shit around or going offroad.

But if you buy an F-250 and park it inside your downtown apartment, I'm gonna assume you have a small dick, smaller than the overcompensating 'vette owners lol.

Even worse if said truck owner only uses their big ass truck to only haul groceries from Whole Foods or Trader Joes...

Stuck between getting a BRZ, Si, or another S2k. Has anyone owned both S2k and BRZ? Will I notice the lack of HP in teh BRZ?

Last time I test drove a Toyobaru, specifically the FRS, I still had my Miata with me and even then I could immediately tell the power isn't there. But, I think I'm gonna have to blame that stupid torque dip around 4k rpms or whatever. It's worse on older FRS but its still noticeable even on the new ones.

I saw my first new nsx in the wild and photos don't do it justice. Absolutely amazing presence.

Gotta agree. I saw it at the auto show a few months ago and it looked beautiful even though Aston Martin, Jaguar, and MB sections were right next to it.

IMO that angle is the best way to look at the NSX... but yeah, it doesn't do it justice at all.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Why ashamed? This is what all car enthusiasts do. I've been doing this for over a decade now.

Edit: Yeah, the NSX is amazing in person. I love it. It's one of my considerations as my next car.

It is. It's a house purchase thing. Chickens, a garden and a dog. Home improvement stuff. Plus something with real off road capabilities for camping and hauling kayaks. She'd be perfectly happy with a cheap Taco, and so would I. It's just that at the end of the day I think she deserves better, plus they're not great daily use vehicles. I actually don't care what other people think, and I know we'll come up with an agreement. Adulting is fun like that!

Oh you don't even need close to a full-sized truck, and honestly they're garbage off-road. A Tacoma would be plenty, or if any companies are bringing back short wheel-base SUVs like the Bronco that would be a better fit.

Honestly unless you're really going off-road off-road and you need to tow 3000lb or more it sounds like a crossover would be the best fit. It would do everything you need for home improvements while being more comfortable with better gas mileage. I love my Xterra, but if I didn't need it for towing vehicles I would have gotten a modern mid-size crossover. Body-on-frame gas mileage just sucks dick and there's no way around it.

Futaba

I'd park as far away as possible from other cars even if I had some run of the mill generic as hell jellopy, doesn't matter, coming back to your car and not finding new dents, bumps, scratches or scrapes is always worth the extra minute or so of walking.

DrMungo

Why ashamed? This is what all car enthusiasts do. I've been doing this for over a decade now.

Edit: Yeah, the NSX is amazing in person. I love it. It's one of my considerations as my next car.

I saw an NSX in person and pictures definitely don't do it justice.

IMO that angle is the best way to look at the NSX... but yeah, it doesn't do it justice at all.

The new nsx is like the huracan, they both look better in person, but I wouldn't call them gorgeous by any means.

The civic type R looks ugly in pictures but in person it looks ridiculously ugly and huge! It kinda have the GT-R factor, which you overlook the aesthetic due to its performance, but both cars are dayam ugly.

Man some luxury car people are amazing.

Working on a video at work about a Land Rover shop and this dude spent 3 minutes waxing poetic about the services his shop provides, when all he had to say was that they’re a full service shop that does oil changes, engine, suspension and electrical work.

3 minutes of masturbating about his shop and that didn’t even answer the damn question!

Ugh lol.

The new nsx is like the huracan, they both look better in person, but I wouldn't call them gorgeous by any means.

The civic type R looks ugly in pictures but in person it looks ridiculously ugly and huge! It kinda have the GT-R factor, which you overlook the aesthetic due to its performance, but both cars are dayam ugly.

Idk man. Out of that auto show, the only car that really stuck with me in terms of looks was the DB11 and NSX. The Miata RF too actually but I’m gonna chalk that up to fanboyism lol.

But yeah, the Type R looks like a Civic that turned into a linebacker but instead of working out, it hung out with the o-line and spent everyday at McDonalds instead.

I'd park as far away as possible from other cars even if I had some run of the mill generic as hell jellopy, doesn't matter, coming back to your car and not finding new dents, bumps, scratches or scrapes is always worth the extra minute or so of walking.

Yep. Even in my garbage cars I still park away from other people when I can.

Top Bottom