• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

KRaZyAmmo

It's no HKS powered CR-Z that's for sure. I do remember a screenshot of the HKS CR-Z shooting out flames though. I just don't remember where or what video.
hks-tunes-the-honda-cr-z_1.jpg

The CRZ is one of the bigger letdowns in recent automotive history. The crazy concept looked amazing, everybody assumed it was a US market hot hatch, and it turned out to be a 2 door Prius. Sad, really.

It's been said before, but that thing wouldn't beat any cop car from about 1981 on. Heck, I'm not sure it beats late 70s ones either.

Sports cars have come a stupidly long way recently, especially the new Mustang and Corvette. Both the ZL1 and the GT350 are actually semi affordable and they're both stupid good. Provided you can actually find one, that is.

I really want to check out an '18 Mustang GT PP with the magnaride dampers. Curious if they caught up to or beat the SS this year. I can't imagine they haven't benchmarked the thing inside out and upside down by now.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I just saw a Citroen 2CV that was completely bodied up - looked like a little hotrod, almost - nothing like it normally does. It had an awesome grille with the Citroen arrows, the license plate said 2CV on it. The roof looked almost a little chopped and lowered. From a far it looked like an American hotrod, but as it got close, it was very clearly not.

I wonder if it's a purely custom job or some kind of non-factory variation.

KRaZyAmmo

I just saw a Citroen 2CV that was completely bodied up - looked like a little hotrod, almost - nothing like it normally does. It had an awesome grille with the Citroen arrows, the license plate said 2CV on it. The roof looked almost a little chopped and lowered. From a far it looked like an American hotrod, but as it got close, it was very clearly not.

I wonder if it's a purely custom job or some kind of non-factory variation.

That just reminded me....of this Citroen I saw at StanceWars Seattle one year

v1lla21

Just got back from Monterey. Spotted quite a few exotics since the guys from supercar club of Arabia where down at Cannery Row. There was even a Bugatti Veyron which was pretty dope. On my way back home I followed a Lotus and Huracan and my of which my S/O snapped quite a few pics. The Lotus was dirty as hell and was missing the right mirror lol.

Here's The Imgur album with some pictures. Idk how to post individual pics from imgur now without them looking funky.
The Huracan did a pull for me on Hwy1 which was pretty cool.
https://imgur.com/gallery/WgoOc

AlphaSnake

Just got back from Monterey. Spotted quite a few exotics since the guys from supercar club of Arabia where down at Cannery Row. There was even a Bugatti Veyron which was pretty dope. On my way back home I followed a Lotus and Huracan and my of which my S/O snapped quite a few pics. The Lotus was dirty as hell and was missing the right mirror lol.

Here's The Imgur album with some pictures. Idk how to post individual pics from imgur now without them looking funky.
The Huracan did a pull for me on Hwy1 which was pretty cool.
https://imgur.com/gallery/WgoOc

You can still right click on the images and grab their JPG URLs.

AlphaSnake

My neighbor who had the blue Ghibli now has a Levante.

That means I have to see the rear end of that car every single day.

I'm hoping it's a courtesy car from the dealer, but it's been a week now and it doesn't have loaner vehicle decals on it.

Momentary

Banned
So going to Irvine next weekend for my birthday to check this 2016 Superformance Daytona over at Hillbank's. Hopefully it's still there.

I know it's a replica, but man this is my dream car and I love the history behind the Daytona. It was a car built out of passion and the will to win.

There's a guy at my job that won't shut up about me just going and buying a Factory Five kit and making one myself, but I don't have the time or tools to do a project like that. Would it still be cheaper if I contracted a shop to build out the car for me?

Also, my wife is looking at El Caminos and Rancheros for herself. What has been the better of the 2? I'm partial to El Caminos since my dad owned an SS. But I don't think I've ever even looked at a Ranchero.

The real concern here is that we already have 3 cars, and a 2 car Garage. I don't mind my Scion sitting outside in the sun. But it looks like we might to try and see how much storage units go for around here.

So going to Irvine next weekend for my birthday to check this 2016 Superformance Daytona over at Hillbank's. Hopefully it's still there.

There's a guy at my job that won't shut up about me just going and buying a Factory Five kit and making one myself, but I don't have the time or tools to do a project like that. Would it still be cheaper if I contracted a shop to build out the car for me? The good thing about the Superformance car up top is that it's endorsed by Shelby.

Also, my wife is looking at El Caminos and Rancheros for herself. What has been the better of the 2? I'm partial to El Caminos since my dad owned an SS. But I don't think I've ever even looked at a Ranchero. I want to try nab one for her birthday, but don't know which I should go with. I would appreciate a point in the right direction if there is a comparison article on the 2.

Camino has the better name, but both cars are cool as shit. (Can't comment on their reliability and haven't driven them either.)

Bandit1

I know it's a replica, but man this is my dream car and I love the history behind the Daytona. It was a car built out of passion and the will to win.

There's a guy at my job that won't shut up about me just going and buying a Factory Five kit and making one myself, but I don't have the time or tools to do a project like that. Would it still be cheaper if I contracted a shop to build out the car for me?

Also, my wife is looking at El Caminos and Rancheros for herself. What has been the better of the 2? I'm partial to El Caminos since my dad owned an SS. But I don't think I've ever even looked at a Ranchero.

The real concern here is that we already have 3 cars, and a 2 car Garage. I don't mind my Scion sitting outside in the sun. But it looks like we might to try and see how much storage units go for around here.

You're looking at buying a Daytona replica?? That's so so awesome! I love that Daytona body, just such a beautiful design. I'd much rather have one of those than a Cobra or GT40 replica.

As far as El Camino vs Ranchero, I think I would lean toward a 68-72 El Camino. I've never had the opportunity to drive either, but more El Caminos were made and the El Camino shares a lot with the Chevelle, which has more aftermarket support than the Ranchero/Torino should you ever need anything for it. Small block Chevy and automatic should be good to go.

ameratsu

My god how do people manage to post in OT2 every few months even with walls of links to the new thread. reading is hard i guess

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Took a quadruple take as I saw an M4 GTS pull out of Best Buy. First one - and probably last one - I'll ever see. I know the M4 gets a little hate from enthusiasts, but DAMN if that wasn't a good looking BMW. I was yelling at my wife to look like a child, lol

fixuis

Looking for an SUV for my wife and 2 elementary school kids, has to be sporty(good pickup/acceleration, good ride and handling, good interior is a must with a must have virtual cockpit for the driver dashboard. Any recommendations? I like the Acura RDX/MDX but they dont have virtual cockpit, VW atlas is good but reviews say its doesnt have a good enough acceleration, same for volvo XC40, Audi Q3 suffers from the same reviews, not enough bang for the buck, weak engine..honda pilot is good too but no virtual cockpit..

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Looking for an SUV for my wife and 2 elementary school kids, has to be sporty(good pickup/acceleration, good ride and handling, good interior is a must with a must have virtual cockpit for the driver dashboard. Any recommendations? I like the Acura RDX/MDX but they dont have virtual cockpit, VW atlas is good but reviews say its doesnt have a good enough acceleration, same for volvo XC40, Audi Q3 suffers from the same reviews, not enough bang for the buck, weak engine..honda pilot is good too but no virtual cockpit..

Q5?
Mazda CX-5?
Jaguar fpace?

AlphaSnake

What's your budget?

Try to get into a Jag F-Pace. It's basically exactly what you're looking for - it's an incredible handler. There's a new 2.0T that makes a pretty peppy 250HP, that starts at 42.5K, but you can easily take $1500 off that MSRP. There's a 300HP Premium model, with the same turbo-4 that's $47K invoice. And then a 340HP Supercharged V6.

The supercharged V6 Premium model comes pretty loaded with everything you'd need and it rings $48K invoice. Check TrueCar to see how much below invoice dealers nearby are selling their cars. You can snag some great deals on them.

I'd spend the extra 1K for the V6.

Pinewood

Wait so Jaguar didnt make any XKs with a stick? How rude.

I know the S-type is the most affordable way to get into Jaaaags
;)
but I really like the look if the original XK.

Nikodemos

Was thinking about bumping the electric car thread, but that one's rather old.

So apparently the €10.000 electric car subsidy was extended until the end of the year.

Does anybody own a ZOE? How good is it during actual driving, mileage-wise? How quickly does it charge from different sockets?

Kaufland and Lidl have installed quickcharge sockets in some of their locations, and they are, so far, free to use. This might change in the future, though.

matmanx1

Q5?
Mazda CX-5?
Jaguar fpace?

I echo all of these choices. The Audi has the best interior, hands down. The Mazda would be the best bang for the buck and have the lowest cost of ownership and the Jaguar has the best warranty and (I believe) the most interior space.

It will come down to what your priorities are and how much you want to spend.

I like all those choices, too. I'll probably get booed for this, but I'd also check out the Ford Edge, mostly because in Sport trim it's the only one you can get with a supercharged V6 for 45-50K new, and quite a bit less if you look around some. It's got typical Ford interior chintziness, though. The exterior is nice if you get the blacked out trim as well.

Still, it'll smoke everything else in that price range in a straight line. No question. Which is the primary "sportiness" metric for a top heavy SUV.

If seating position isn't important to you, consider something like a Golf GTI or an A5 Sportback as well.

Finally have something worth posting since i'm stuck 30 years behind all you guys with the new fancy stuff.

Got off my ass and decided it's time to do something with my prelude. The cover I had on it was falling apart so I bought a "cheaper" covercraft cover (which I should have done 2 years ago when I parked it). Also figured while I had to cover off try and start it, since it had been probably over a year since I last ran the engine. I had to also fix the main relay, just needed to resolder all the pins on the board and hoped that would fix it. Threw in a battery and it started on the first try.

Took these pics after a quick drive around the block, let it get up to temp and enjoy it for a few minutes. (don't let the honda white fool you, it's a mess up front and a bit in the back)

I really miss this car. Like seriously. I like my CRX but this thing, just feels right.

So now I need to finally do this bodywork. Rear glass has to come out to fix the rear panel under the glass (thanks honda drain engineers) since that's basically rotted in a few spots. The roof has a bunch of surface rust spots from sitting but aside from that it's just the shitty paint job I had done on the fenders. Body is still nice and straight just needs paint.

Ty4on

Was thinking about bumping the electric car thread, but that one's rather old.

So apparently the €10.000 electric car subsidy was extended until the end of the year.

Does anybody own a ZOE? How good is it during actual driving, mileage-wise? How quickly does it charge from different sockets?

Kaufland and Lidl have installed quickcharge sockets in some of their locations, and they are, so far, free to use. This might change in the future, though.
I've never driven one so I can tell you much about that :p
I guess driving wise it seems ok, but the engine is weaker than competition and it feels cheap. It is cheap tho for what you get so it evens out.

The Zoe is a bit unique when it comes to charging. The common thing is to have an AC charger onboard and then ability to use a DC charger for fast charging. DC charging means the charger is external and can have much higher capacity.
The Zoe though doesn't support DC charging and instead had a beefier than normal AC charger onboard. That means fast charging is slower than competitors and high capacity AC chargers aren't as common as DC chargers, but it can take power regular EVs can't and it's much easier to get a 11kW plug at home than buying a super expensive DC station.
Combo CCS and CHAdeMO are the two main DC standards. Tesla have their own, but can use a CHAdeMO adapter.

When it comes to charging time at home this usually comes down to what plug you have at home. Regular EVs come with a 3.6 or 7.2kW charger onboard, but the Zoe supports higher capacity:
renault-zoe-charging-time-768x338.jpg.webp

I think the Zoe is slower than average with a regular plug. Regardless of which EV you go for though it's worth investing in a proper wallbox and not replying on the regular plug. 2.3kW is just not enough when the battery is so large. With a wallbox you get a worthwhile charge when you need a quick top up in the middle of the day.

Also looking at those charging times keep in mind it's charging a large 40kWh battery from flat to 100. Most of the time you'll use ~30% of the battery and charge that up at night. You don't charge an EV like you fill a gas car. Probably never charging it to 100% to aid battery health and longevity.

Tldr: Whatever plug you install at home will make the biggest difference. If battery is 40kWh and plug can supply 11kW then (fuzzing the edges considering charging inefficiencies and the battery capacity available) you can charge it from flat to full in ~4 hours because 40/10=4. It's lower probably because the available capacity is closer to 35kWh, they limit it to maximize battery life over time.
Ask the dealer what opinions you have to install a wallbox. Zoe has had a deal with a free wallbox.

(I wrote all on mobile so sorry for typos)

Futaba

Finally have something worth posting since i'm stuck 30 years behind all you guys with the new fancy stuff.

Got off my ass and decided it's time to do something with my prelude. The cover I had on it was falling apart so I bought a "cheaper" covercraft cover (which I should have done 2 years ago when I parked it). Also figured while I had to cover off try and start it, since it had been probably over a year since I last ran the engine. I had to also fix the main relay, just needed to resolder all the pins on the board and hoped that would fix it. Threw in a battery and it started on the first try.

Took these pics after a quick drive around the block, let it get up to temp and enjoy it for a few minutes. (don't let the honda white fool you, it's a mess up front and a bit in the back)

I really miss this car. Like seriously. I like my CRX but this thing, just feels right.

So now I need to finally do this bodywork. Rear glass has to come out to fix the rear panel under the glass (thanks honda drain engineers) since that's basically rotted in a few spots. The roof has a bunch of surface rust spots from sitting but aside from that it's just the shitty paint job I had done on the fenders. Body is still nice and straight just needs paint.

dude what are you on about, that thing is BOSS, i'd take that over most modern stuff without hesitation.

Get it fixed up and roll, love the hell out of late 80s japanese metal.

That's a nice ride right there. Fix that puppy up, throw a decent stereo in it and roll. Probably go another 200K miles before it finally dies and it'll be dirt cheap to operate.

I love every generation of the 'lude and I have days where I seriously consider getting one as a project car because they drive great.

Momentary

Banned

Man, this looks super nice already in the pictures.

Man, this looks super nice already in the pictures.

It's the fooling nature of a white Honda. I'll get some pics and post em up of the rough spots. The worst part is under the rear glass. There is a strip of metal in between the glass and where the trunk lid starts that is essentially rotting out from the way the roof drains..etc. The rear glass is gonna have to come out and that piece is either going to have to be cut and patched or just outright removed and a new piece made. Aside from that the rest of the body just needs a fresh paint job. The single stage paint has held up well but I hit the front end a few months into ownership and parts of that respray are looking like shit and other areas of original paint are starting to show a bit of age. I'm also going to have to redo some bits of the lower end suspension as the rubber and everything is 30 years old at this point. I've only replaced the suspension and not all the bushings on the control arms..etc. I'm also thinking of putting a dx non power steering rack into the car since mine is leaking and would have to be rebuilt anyways and that would help with removing weight and giving a better feel on the handling. I have a bunch of stuff I still need to get but I'm now at least motivated again to try and get this thing back to where it was when I got it almost 9 years ago.

otakuderek

Anyone have recommendations for shipping a car? I'm moving and I need to have one of my vehicles transported from the South to the Midwest.

Nikodemos

Tldr: Whatever plug you install at home will make the biggest difference. If battery is 40kWh and plug can supply 11kW then (fuzzing the edges considering charging inefficiencies and the battery capacity available) you can charge it from flat to full in ~4 hours because 40/10=4. It's lower probably because the available capacity is closer to 35kWh, they limit it to maximize battery life over time.
Ask the dealer what opinions you have to install a wallbox. Zoe has had a deal with a free wallbox.
The wallbox and home charging solutions are irrelevant to me, since I live in a flat.
Therefore, I'm forced to use public charging stations. There's one relatively close to me which has 22 kW AC charging, and you only need to pay for the parking.

Even if you say its rough, its still nice looking. There are a few of us old car drivers around here.

matmanx1

Dude, those are the cars of my childhood dreams. A Prelude like that was something to aspire to during my early adolescence. I had a buddy who managed to snag a 2nd Gen about the time I graduated high school and I was green with envy. As I rode around with him I remember thinking how much tighter and more sophisticated it seemed than all of the American cars I was used to spending time in. Good luck to you in getting that one fixed up. They are worth the time, effort and money, no doubt.

TylerD

I echo all of these choices. The Audi has the best interior, hands down. The Mazda would be the best bang for the buck and have the lowest cost of ownership and the Jaguar has the best warranty and (I believe) the most interior space.

It will come down to what your priorities are and how much you want to spend.

We finally test drove a GLK and decided that it just doesn't have the cargo capacity that we would need.

I opened her eyes to the CX-5 and I'm excited about the diesel that should be coming out later this year**

**No one really seems to know when it will arrive in the US but likely 175hp and over 300tq should be more fun than the gas engine.

Grazzt

I've been driving my new CX5 for three months and I really love it. The HUD is so good and informative.
The only downside is Mazda's MZD system. It's pretty buggy and laggy, and lacks CarPlay.

Stasis

Please stop posting in this thread go to OT3. How are people digging up this ancient thread still?

Google. My bad. Saw October posts in it and figured it was recent, and there was no indication of a newer OT.

So maybe do that, get a mod to lock it, or when posting this reply to me use the opportunity to link to the new one so it doesn't happen again! Like many other ongoing OT's do. Or not. Whatever works for you, I suppose.

I had a simple question. I was answered. Thanks!

Zyzyxxz

Simple and clean, love it!

matmanx1

I've been driving my new CX5 for three months and I really love it. The HUD is so good and informative.
The only downside is Mazda's MZD system. It's pretty buggy and laggy, and lacks CarPlay.

There's a 99% chance that I will be taking my wife to look at a few Mazda vehicles next year as we get ready to replace her 2006 Altima. She says she wants to drive a smaller, more nimble vehicle but doesn't want to give up too much interior room. The Mazda 3, 6, CX3 and CX5 are all possibilities.

Coming from where we are now any of those would be a huge upgrade. Our vehicles are 2004, 2006 and 2008 models and the amount of technology, efficiency and safety upgrades that new vehicles have make our cars seem like they come from a completely different century instead of a single decade ago.

Being able to look back to what I started off with (a 68 Mustang) and then seeing where we are now is pretty mind-blowing.

AlphaSnake

Google. My bad. Saw October posts in it and figured it was recent, and there was no indication of a newer OT.

So maybe do that, get a mod to lock it, or when posting this reply to me use the opportunity to link to the new one so it doesn't happen again! Like many other ongoing OT's do. Or not. Whatever works for you, I suppose.

I had a simple question. I was answered. Thanks!

There is a wall of a links to the new OT just a few posts up.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Don't know how I missed it almost a year ago, but Doug Demuro's video on the DB11 popped up on my recommended list on Youtube.

Hot damn is that a beautiful car. Just gorgeous inside and out. And that Sport Plus exhaust note legit startled me. I didn't think I'd ever consider a car over a lambo in the $250-ish range (when I drift off to my fantasy land)... but boy that DB11 is sex on wheels.

AlphaSnake

Don't know how I missed it almost a year ago, but Doug Demuro's video on the DB11 popped up on my recommended list on Youtube.

Hot damn is that a beautiful car. Just gorgeous inside and out. And that Sport Plus exhaust note legit startled me. I didn't think I'd ever consider a car over a lambo in the $250-ish range (when I drift off to my fantasy land)... but boy that DB11 is sex on wheels.

I drove one a year ago, a pre-production model. It was quite something.

So here is the hot garbage i'm dealing with on this prelude.

Front end stuff i'm not too worried about since the hood looked like the fenders. I had a local body shop re paint the hood and it still looks good even after sitting for a couple of years. That rust under the rear glass sucks though. Have to remove the glass and see what lies beneath. Hoping to get the car in the shop within the next month or so and do the work over winter. Won't really know what needs to be replaced until I have it on a lift and can check the full underside components for wear. Just hoping I'll be able to keep the crx as well.

Top Bottom